shape
carat
color
clarity

Thinking of a tattoo...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
I had a dream about a week ago about getting a tattoo on my lower back (just above my a$$) of my son''s name. I haven''t been able to shake this dream, and I am starting to like the idea.

What do you think???

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d wait a week or two and see how you feel then....

darkeyesredshoes

Shiny_Rock
I agree with Kaleigh. I thought about my tattoo for four years - even printed it and posted it in my bedroom for a while - before committing to it.

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, I agree I will think about this for a while. But what are the pros and cons you can think of? What should I be thinking about?

Pro - beautiful and forever image and tribute to my son.

Con - forever.

Pro - but my back won''t turn flabby.

Con - but what will my son''s future wife think of her MIL having his name tattooed on her back.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Interesting. And fine for now. But in 10/20/30 years it will not look the same and "guarenteed" you''ll regret it. Get an indellible marker
3.gif
2.gif
9.gif

cheers--Sharon

merrijoy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/30/2008 5:12:00 PM
Author:LitigatorChick
I had a dream about a week ago about getting a tattoo on my lower back (just above my a$$) of my son''s name. I haven''t been able to shake this dream, and I am starting to like the idea.

What do you think???
You do know what they call this kind of tattoo, right? A tramp stamp....How do you feel relating your son and his name to something with that name?....
There is a con...I can think of no pros for this....

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a tattoo that symbolizes my daughters, but isn't as overt as a name. Perhaps you could think of an image to represent your son? This is something you need to think about for a long time. Also, it is in your best interest to find the very best artist and pay a lot of money for a good tattoo. A reputable artist will help you with artwork as well as being honest with you about how the piece will age, what colours would suit your skintone best, and even whether you should go ahead or not. It's also normal to have to wait several months for your appointment if it's a really popular artist. I think people regret poorly done tattoos more than those done with a lot of skill and forethought. My husband has an amazing tattoo from a great artist, and he is constantly complimented on it and asked about it. He's 47, his tattoo is about 6 months old.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
since you asked: last night jay leno was commenting on kiddie tattoos made for that area. he asked what parents were thinking since they are called "tramp stamps". i don''t tattoo but if i did i would not put my child''s name on my body especially in that area. i know you are considering this out of love and affection for him but i don''t think he will appreciate it when he reaches his teens. there are also some who may think you are referring to miller beer. i would think about this for a while before you commit.

HaloAngel

Shiny_Rock
ITA with the others...

Perhaps you can look at it this way:
What would you think if YOUR mother in law had a tattoo of your husband''s name right above HER a$$???
eek
14.gif

happy in love

Shiny_Rock
So, just over a year ago I had tattoo done of a tiger lily on my side/lower back area. My mom passed away a few years ago and the tiger lily is one of the flowers associated with her sign (aries). I have since decided that after I have kids I will have their flowers added to it. I like the more subtle representation rather than a person's name myself.

I think a tattoo representing your son is a great idea, but can totally agree with others as to why his name on your lower back might not be "the one"

Give it some thought, but count me as a tattoo supporter in general
2.gif

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/30/2008 6:41:53 PM
Author: HaloAngel
ITA with the others...

Perhaps you can look at it this way:

What would you think if YOUR mother in law had a tattoo of your husband''s name right above HER a$$???

eek
14.gif

Good point HaloAngel!

Plus the mental image of my MIL with a tatoo of my husband''s name above her A$$ had me laughing for quite a while....Thanks for the laugh

ahappygirl

Brilliant_Rock
You can always get a henna tatoo that will wear off in a couple of weeks. See how you feel wearing it and go from there.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/30/2008 5:27:15 PM
Author: LitigatorChick
Okay, I agree I will think about this for a while. But what are the pros and cons you can think of? What should I be thinking about?

Pro - beautiful and forever image and tribute to my son.

Con - forever.

Pro - but my back won''t turn flabby.

Con - but what will my son''s future wife think of her MIL having his name tattooed on her back.
That last con alone would sway me to drop the idea. Seriously, ew!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
As someone who has a tattoo there (ill advised 18 year old mistake), I say a big NO. You're right that you'll not get flabby there, but what if you get love handles? Flab surrounding the tattoo??

It's a cute idea now that he's a kid, but when he's older it's going to be weird...

If I could redo it I would never have done it...

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/30/2008 5:12:00 PM
Author:LitigatorChick
I had a dream about a week ago about getting a tattoo on my lower back (just above my a$$) of my son's name. I haven't been able to shake this dream, and I am starting to like the idea.

What do you think???
just don't tattoo your hubby's name....cuz you never know. after the tattoo you can pierce your nose.
31.gif

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/30/2008 7:21:20 PM
Author: neatfreak
As someone who has a tattoo there (ill advised 18 year old mistake), I say a big NO. You''re right that you''ll not get flabby there, but what if you get love handles? Flab surrounding the tattoo??

If I could redo it I would never have done it...
Ditto all of this.

Also, I totally regret my tramp stamp. lol

AND....it''s just kind of a "suggestive" place to put a name, not to mention your own son''s name!
9.gif

How about on your back, closer to your shoulder area? Or on your foot? Or between your shoulder blades?

If I ever get a tattoo again (which I won''t. lol) I''ll get one in WHITE like bubboo''s. I always thought it was so cool!
It''s the third pic down on this thread:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-ink.70064/

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a tattoo and while I don''t regret it I agree you should think about it. I also agree instead of his name could you do something else that symbolizes him? Or put it somewhere else?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/30/2008 7:21:20 PM
Author: neatfreak

It''s a cute idea now that he''s a kid, but when he''s older it''s going to be weird...
hahaha I agree 100% with neatfreak. When your son is older, it''ll be weird having a tattoo of your grown up son''s name. Kids are not cute and innocent forever. They grow UP!

Also, as mentioned, there is the term "tramp stamp" associated with the location you''re talking about, soooo. . . think on it and as suggested, try a henna one.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it is a bit odd really. He is a child, not your boyfriend. A tat on a older body is not that attractive to me. There was a funny skit on SNL about young hot babes getting tats and then showing the tat on saggy aging skin when the women were in their 60''s or 70''s. It was so funny. Having a tattoo done on that particular area is called a "tramp stamp". But IF I were getting a tattoo, I would not do my kids name, and not there for sure. Maybe a tiny heart with his initials would be better. It is also permanent, pretty much, and very tough to remove if you change your mind.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the idea of getting a tatoo to commemmorate your son, I think that is lovely. I have had similar thoughts about commemmerating my future children.

I have a "tramp stamp", as you all so lovingly call it
2.gif
, but I have never heard that term before! Lit, you and I are Canadian, maybe it isn't a common term up here? I love my tattoo, even though I was only 16 when I got it, and I am told by my hubby that it looks lovely even today (it is a Celtic knotwork design that my father did, he is an artist). Of course, I personally rarely or never get to see it. I think a tattoo is only as trampy as the lady wearing it, so if you get one wear that sucker with pride!

I think you son's actual NAME might be a little literal... If in a few days you still want a tatto, I suggest either something less literal, or his name in another spot... though I can't think of another spot that is so discrete.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I have an 18 year old son and it would weird to have his name on my back.

I wonder how M&M feels about having his daughter''s picture on his arm because she doesn''t look like that anymore and every day is prettier than yesterday but he''s stuck with the face of a 3 year old.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/30/2008 8:28:46 PM
Author: diamondfan
I think it is a bit odd really. He is a child, not your boyfriend. A tat on a older body is not that attractive to me. There was a funny skit on SNL about young hot babes getting tats and then showing the tat on saggy aging skin when the women were in their 60''s or 70''s. It was so funny. Having a tattoo done on that particular area is called a ''tramp stamp''. But IF I were getting a tattoo, I would not do my kids name, and not there for sure. Maybe a tiny heart with his initials would be better. It is also permanent, pretty much, and very tough to remove if you change your mind.

Hahaha! I know exactly what skit you''re talking about! Hilarious.

LC, I agree with everyone else-I think it''s creepy. I also don''t see the point-he''s your son and you already think about him all the time and devote your life to him. Why do you need a tattoo of his name?

Kayakqueen83

Shiny_Rock
Ehhh... I have a Tramp Stamp that I got when I was 17.... I hate it now. But it is probably because the tattoo is common (a butterfly) and doesn''t really mean anything to me. (I picked it off of the wall... oh the things you do when young!) Currently I''m looking to cover it up with something that I design myself so I can enjoy what it represents.

I think it is lovely that you want to honor your son with getting something tattooed. However I would also agree with the other posters the the location/name combination may not be the best move and may be labeled as odd later in life. If you do like the area I would suggest doing something that represents your son rather then his mane.

Good luck!

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
My bro is dating a girl with tatoos and piecies but he would be HORRIFIED to have himself commemorated on my mother''s body. Would you want your dad to have your name on his chest? To me, it is kind of creepy and when he is in his teens and older, I suspect he will think so too. I have nothing against tats, but I have never known ones that commemorate people to be fondly thought of later.

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
I was aware of the phrase "tramp stamp", but the term really doesn''t deter me from that location. I want it to be hidden at work, and a lot of the other places would not necessarily be.

I definately need to think on it for quite a while, but I really don''t see a lot of the negatives noted. I might incorporate his name into another image, so his name is less prominent. It won''t be something he sees (or his future wife for that matter).

He is my only "forever" - my DH could up and leave me, my job could end, but my son is forever.

I like the henna idea - I might live with that for a bit too.

I am hearing a lot of people who love their tattoos and some that hate them. For the lovers, how long have you had it?

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
I''m with ya on the bikini issue. We have the same car. Tattoos? Not so much. Not his whole name, anyway...and not *there*. I like DF''s idea of a little heart with his initial or initials if you really feel like you want one. Keep us posted.

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
Ah come on Miranda!!!!

Other than the name, what is so "naughty" about this spot??? It is just my lower back!!!

laine

Brilliant_Rock
I have nothing against tattoos in general, but this strikes me as a really bad idea! Might seem cute while he''s young, but once he hits about middle school, he''ll be mortified! And once he gets a bit older and is dating or engaged, its going to scream "mom with attachment issues."

And as for the placement, its not automatically trashy, I''ve seen a few classy pieces there, but to most people, most of the time, it is a "naughty place" even if you don''t agree. A son''s name there just seems creepy to me. And honestly, names as tattoos (any name) generally seem a little trashier than the average tattoo (there are exceptions of course, I can think of at least one name tattoo that I love).

If you really want a commemorative tattoo, I''d make it an image instead of his name, and put it anywhere but your lower back.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Just FYI, I have three tattoos, all in hidden spots, and the one on my lower back is the one that people "catch"...either by lifting my arms to get something off a shelf and my shirt goes up, or bending over and my pants shifting down (and I''m not a hip-hugger type of gal).

And seeing as how it''s a cartoon moon with a face in it (lmao), it get''s pretty embarrassing.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just think you might have regret. I know if you get one it must be coverable at work, but still...is it really necessary? I adore all of my kids but never felt the need to brand myself to show it. He will always be forever no matter if you tattoo yourself or you do not, and frankly it seems a bit extreme as a way of showing love. Maybe a small heart, like I said, or something a bit abstract, but really, you can always revisit it later. Most people I know in life, and I say most, regret their ink. I do not care who has one, if it is tasteful I can even admire it though I would never get one and I would caution my kids against it for a variety of reasons. But as a Jewish person, I also have issues about them as numbers were tattooed on Jews in the camps like brands on cattle. That has A LOT to do with my distaste for them. And would you show your kid his name just above your a$$? A bit inappropriate it would seem...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results