shape
carat
color
clarity

Thinking about taking a leap of faith on EGL USA, thoughts?

jstussy

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone, I've been lurking for a few months now as I've been researching on buying a diamond. I've been working with a wholesaler who's sent me many GIA/EGL USA stone's to look at. This EGL USA seems to be a great deal and the guy i'm working with thinks so as well. What are your thoughts?

Cut (Shape and Style) ROUND BRILLIANT
Carat Weight 2.15 CT
Clarity Grade VS1
Color Grade G
Cut Grade IDEAL PLUS

PROPORTIONS
Measurements 8.22 x 8.18 x 5.11 mm
Table 59%
Depth 62.3%
Crown Height 15%
Crown Angle 36°
Pavilion Depth 43.4%
Pavilion Angle 41.1°
Girdle MEDIUM TO SL. THICK FACETED
Culet

OBSERVATIONS
Finish
Polish EXCELLENT
Symmetry EXCELLENT
Fluorescence FAINT

I know it scored pretty poorly on HCA with a 5.6, do you think it's just outside the limits of what it's normally working with?
I'm torn as it's a great value for a 2.15 CT stone at $15,800, is there a chance it can still appear fantastic even with such a low HCA score?

img2.png

img.png

Sunfish

Shiny_Rock
Re: Thinking about taking a leap of faith on EGL USA, though

Oh boy that diamond would be a hard no for me.. I don't know that I would trust working with a vendor that suggests a stone like that. There's a reason it is a "good deal" - because it is horribly cut. I'd rather go smaller and better cut than something that will perform poorly.

Edit to say I just saw the price and Nononono that is NOT a good deal. Good havens no. Run for the hills. Let the PS MRB pros help you. I know they will be along shortly. :wavey:

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Yeah. Everyone thinks you shouldn't do it.

First of all it's a poorly cut stone. That may or may not be a priority for you, but you should at least look at some well-cut stones in a variety of lighting before you sacrifice cut for size.

Secondly, it's overpriced for it's clarity and color. I know this because it's an EGL. You see, if it were anywhere close to a G VS1, it would be sold with a GIA cert and would cost a lot more. In other words, if the dealer had sent it to EGL and it had come back with a fair grade, the EGL certificate would have been shoved in a drawer.

All EGL stones are overpriced. There are exceptions, but I don't think this is one of them.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium

is there a chance it can still appear fantastic even with such a low HCA score?

For this particular case/stone and for PSers, NOT A CHANCE

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Usually we recommend stones with an HCA score under 2.0, but some are good into the 2-2.5 range. The angles are a bad combination on this stone. The diamond is not a good deal. You get what you pay for. This diamond is likely I color and VS2-SI1 clarity at that price. Don't be fooled by an inflated report. I'd far rather have a 2 ct I VS2 (GIA Ex or AGS Ideal cut only) than that diamond.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have come to realize that with diamonds, its not how good of a deal you get, but what your budget is and how good of a stone you can get for that price.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Not a well cut stone... :knockout:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I have to agree with all that's been written so far. I can also attest that if someone in the business, they knos this is not a great deal for you – that would be a main consideration for me It's very important to seller you can trust.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Sorry for the typos- but hopefully we've made the point. This would be a bad leap

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

That is a horribly cut diamond. There is a lot of information on diamond cut on price scope. Read up and look at GIA and AGS diamonds. Folks here can help you, too, if you tell them what you're looking for.

Strawberry129

Rough_Rock

That diamond does not look very good tbh.

If a deal sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Retailers are not your friends, they have to make money too to stay in business...so no, nobody is going to severely undercut their profit just to give you a great deal. Just the sad truth in the diamond world. There's a reason why it's low. 8) Also, if a diamond is truly amazing, the jeweler/cutter would send it to AGS or GIA immediately.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

:knockout: :knockout: :knockout:

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I would never buy this diamond for myself.
I would be very upset and disappointed if someone bought this diamond for me because of the money they wasted.
My interest in diamonds is due to their light performance.

I don't know if you're purchasing a diamond for yourself or to give as a gift, but what does the wearer want?
As big as possible even if the diamond is poorly cut and doesn't reflect light?
A well-cut diamond that reflects lots of light and looks alive?

There are lots of lovely, knowledgeable people on PS who really understand diamond performance and generously provide their time and advice. They don't get compensated for giving advice or recommending certain vendors/diamonds. They're just great people who want to see you get what you want within your budget.

If you want a lively, sparkling diamond, let the folks here help you.

If you want the biggest diamond possible, even if its dull and lifeless, they could probably help you with that too.
But I'm not sure they'd want to! :lol:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Get rid of the guy your working with. He doesnt have your best interest at heart. :nono:

iwantsparkle

Shiny_Rock

tyty333|1477420138|4090465 said:
Get rid of the guy your working with. He doesnt have your best interest at heart. :nono:

+1.

I honestly couldn't tell what I was seeing at first. I am no expert, but those facets do not look right.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Those are arrows? Ninja star maybe.

Magpie4426

Shiny_Rock

The reality is that this really doesn't represent great value. With diamonds, you really do get what you pay for.

Here is a stone of a very comparable size from Whiteflash (8.15mm diameter VS the EGL 8.22mm diameter). This stone is exceptionally well cut. It is an AGS J colour, which in truth is probably not far off a EGL G colour. Wire price $16,800.

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3388140.htm

I'm sure I speak for most Pricescopers when I say that I'd rather have the ACA stone.

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

The OP has had only the original post and seems to have left. I'm afraid we scared them off.

It's hard enough to buy diamonds without having to admit that someone you trusted does not have your best interests at heart. The claim that the guy was a wholesaler is a huge tip off. I hope the OP finds a way to get a diamond they can be happy with.

jstussy

Rough_Rock

Hi!

Still haven't left, I've received some more HD photos and an HD video of the stone. If anyone is interested I can PM them to you.
I spoke with the vendor and am considering just having him ship it just so I can compare it to some lose GIA stones here locally.
With that being said, I have also continued my search.

I REALLY do appreciate everyone's input.

I have been using PS's diamond search for excellent HCA, 1.6-1.9 carat G/H VS2/Si1 stones and have seen what else AGS or GIA that my money can buy.

My SO is a dentist and is relatively sensitive to color, so even though I plan on setting on a gold solitaire i'd like to limit color to a GIA/AGS H.

If anyone is bored and would like to send some links I would greatly appreciate it! I would like to keep a budget of $16.5K.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results