shape
carat
color
clarity

The yellow diamond search intensifies

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
We have a contender.

With the accumulated knowledge from my other thread I ventured forth and spend some time walking around jewellery shops and looking at yellow diamonds. Would've spent more time doing that but, as it turned out, the availability of yellow diamonds near me is quite poor. Few places had anything noteworthy. Whatever was discovered was massively overpriced. Think 1ct FLY in some pretty flimsy gold setting for nearly $11k. And that was among the cheapest I found.

What I did learn, though, was that I definitely lust after crushed ice and that FLY is about as high as I would go in terms of colour saturation.

Now, I was planning to wait with this one, but a sudden rush of inspiration hit me and, you know, sometimes you have to go with your gut. I reached out to one of the vendors recommended to me here and told them what I was looking for. This was their suggestion:

1713450404481.jpeg

1713451522948.jpeg

GIA report number 2486648550.

I'd love to hear your opinion. I'll add the three videos I received below. On paper it looks great. It's a Y-Z, which is right next to FLY. Size is quite decent, fits comfortably within my budget, even after I lowered it a bit - it was offered to me at 3900$. No fluorescence, high clarity grade (which is mostly just how things happened as it wasn't among my requirements). Seller says the cloud is tiny and difficult to see even under a microscope, and that the manufacturing remnant is not visible. The colour is even throughout, "with great shine".

So, tell me what you think. Just for reference, when describing what I wanted, I said I like a gentle, warm, buttery yellow around the YZ-FLY range and that a good crushed ice cut was very important to me. These two things are my top priority. I am... intrigued, to say the least. Purely on instinct, it's a contender. I would've preferred a cushion, but I can make do with a radiant.

As of now I'm cautiously holding back and considering. A return is not an option, I'd lose too much money in the process (think 20% VAT). You can't ever accurately judge a colour by photos alone, even though in this particular case the photos have been taken on the exact same phone that I have, and the vendor said I should probably allow for about 10% difference from what my eyes will see in real life.

My main concern is that, while what I see in photos and videos is lovely, in reality it might be a cooler shade, and/or a less saturated one. Based on my own experience when photographing a yellow diamond, the photo showed a cooler yellow (in reality the colour was warmer) however, in the photo above the white... what's that, padding, looks to be warm and not true white. And, really, I'll love a stone that's a little paler all the same, but I have a very, very, very distinct preference for warm yellow over a cool one.

Here are the videos:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like how it looks in the hand shot, but that lighting looks very warm. It does look a little cooler in most of the photos. I also suspect in real life it will look less saturated.

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
I like how it looks in the hand shot, but that lighting looks very warm. It does look a little cooler in most of the photos. I also suspect in real life it will look less saturated.

For what it's worth, seller said the light was mixed office light and daylight from the window. If the first video (which has some white in the background) is accurate in colour, I'd be perfectly happy with it. But is it? :confused:

I don't know whether to trust the background and the warm white, or the knowledge that my iphone's camera will always add a cool tone to any warm yellow, always. I could just ask for more photos, seller already offered anyway. But I wonder what to ask for precisely, to help me decipher this.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
I have a couple low alphabet diamonds, S-T and a U-V, which look the same. They do change a bit depending on lighting. But what diamond doesn't?
That's a lovely radiant.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Will you have the same financial penalty for returns regardless of where you order from?

In my limited experience with color, you don’t get a _____ color diamond, you get a diamond that looks _____ in certain light. Maybe don’t rule it out based on it looking cooler in some lighting because almost anything you get will shift color a little.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you looked at it on some phones or your laptop? Might help.

But yeah I don’t think there is any way to know for certain when buying remotely.

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
Will you have the same financial penalty for returns regardless of where you order from?

In my limited experience with color, you don’t get a _____ color diamond, you get a diamond that looks _____ in certain light. Maybe don’t rule it out based on it looking cooler in some lighting because almost anything you get will shift color a little.

If it’s coming from outside of the EU - yes, 20% VAT at import. Inside the EU the VAT would already be calculated in the price and the stone would be 4700 instead.

I’m a coloured stone gal so I’m familiar with colour shifts and I’m okay with them. I’m focused on the daylight colour - as long as it’s pleasant, the shifts don’t bother me.

Have you looked at it on some phones or your laptop? Might help.

But yeah I don’t think there is any way to know for certain when buying remotely.

I’ve seen it on my iPhone and on my pc screen. I can also look at it on my tablet and laptop, and later in the evening on my husband’s phone.

I’m thinking of just confirming with the vendor. With plenty of happy PS customers, I imagine I can trust their eye. I’m guessing I can also ask for an extra photo with some white for colour reference and some extra colours as well in order to trick the phone camera into not shifting too much. And I’m thinking I can ask for yellow gold in the picture to gauge saturation as I have yellow gold available to compare the image to.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
If it’s coming from outside of the EU - yes, 20% VAT at import. Inside the EU the VAT would already be calculated in the price and the stone would be 4700 instead.

I’m a coloured stone gal so I’m familiar with colour shifts and I’m okay with them. I’m focused on the daylight colour - as long as it’s pleasant, the shifts don’t bother me.

I’ve seen it on my iPhone and on my pc screen. I can also look at it on my tablet and laptop, and later in the evening on my husband’s phone.

I’m thinking of just confirming with the vendor. With plenty of happy PS customers, I imagine I can trust their eye. I’m guessing I can also ask for an extra photo with some white for colour reference and some extra colours as well in order to trick the phone camera into not shifting too much. And I’m thinking I can ask for yellow gold in the picture to gauge saturation as I have yellow gold available to compare the image to.

Well, if the VAT will hurt you on returns regardless of where you order from then this stone might be ok; it fits what you are looking for. Sorry if I missed it but would you be ok with low alphabet?

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
Well, if the VAT will hurt you on returns regardless of where you order from then this stone might be ok; it fits what you are looking for. Sorry if I missed it but would you be ok with low alphabet?

Actively looking for it, actually. I don’t want a saturated yellow. So either FLY or low alphabet as they’re very close in tone. Besides, low alphabet saves me money to put towards size.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
It’s so weird there is not mechanism to get VAT back if you return the item. In Canada we can submit a form and get our taxes back if we return (13%)

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
Hi!
Some European PSers bought from 77diamonds who also sells yellow diamonds.

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
Hi!
Some European PSers bought from 77diamonds who also sells yellow diamonds.

Their prices exclude VAT (meaning it still will be charged on top) and are much higher even so.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a Y-Z pear, and it's definitely a light yellow in all lighting. It looks slightly less saturated in certain lighting. Is that what is meant by warm/cool? Mine is set in 18k and is in a halo with yellow melee.

I agree with @Dreamer_D, kind of hard just going by pictures. It looks beautiful in the pics and the price seems very good to me. Maybe more pics will help you figure out if this diamond will work for you.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I have limited experience with fancy yellows but I like it, the cut looks like it's doing exactly what you'd want. Having it be a decent price would be huge as they can be very expensive.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a Y-Z pear, and it's definitely a light yellow in all lighting. It looks slightly less saturated in certain lighting. Is that what is meant by warm/cool? Mine is set in 18k and is in a halo with yellow melee.

I agree with @Dreamer_D, kind of hard just going by pictures. It looks beautiful in the pics and the price seems very good to me. Maybe more pics will help you figure out if this diamond will work for you.

I think warm va cool refers to the undertone of the yellow. Some yellows err to a brown undertone and others to a grey, and the latter feels cool and the former feels warm.

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock

I'd love to see yours. Does it have a thread?

Initially I thought I'd have to stick to the fancy category in order to have that "yep that's definitely yellow", but then I started seeing stones in person and the ones I liked the most were the FLYs. What surprised me was the FYs were actually a bit too yellow for my taste. That's when I figured I could probably get away with a Y-Z just fine.

Easiest way to show you the difference between warm and cool is by GIA's photos.

Cool:

1713468472270.png

Warm:

1713468497489.png

I definitely prefer the warmer tones.

Maybe I should just show these to the vendor and use them as reference. I've been quite happy with the experience so far, so even if I were to pass on this stone, I'd probably still want to work with them and wait for another one.

I have limited experience with fancy yellows but I like it, the cut looks like it's doing exactly what you'd want. Having it be a decent price would be huge as they can be very expensive.

Yeah, the price doesn't make my hair stand up, which is a big pro, especially when I know I'm sinking money I'm never getting back just to be able to stare at a tiny shiny rock. :bigsmile:

I think warm va cool refers to the undertone of the yellow. Some yellows err to a brown undertone and others to a grey, and the latter feels cool and the former feels warm.

More like on a scale from green to orange.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think that image with the various colors would be very helpful to communicate with your vendor! Monitors still vary but it would still be informative.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah ok, thanks for the explanation @Avondale and @Dreamer_D. I think mine is somewhat cool? I do have a thread on the ring, and unfortunately the pics are not very good, ugh. It does give an idea of how it looks in different lighting.

Here's a more recent pic, it looks a little warmer here maybe?ETA this pic is terrible too, click on it for better resolution.
IMG_0706.jpeg

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
@junebug17 It's a bit on the cool side, yeah, but it keeps its colour very well, I would say. Only a very minor shift.

What I wanted to avoid is better pictured by the photos here. You can clearly see how, depending on the photo, the stone can either look yellow, or a yellow tinted white. And that's a W-X, so not far off. Maybe it's just the camera quality, but still. Yours is nowhere near close to that, and if the one I'm considering behaves the same as yours, there would be zero reason to complain.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Do they have any GIA DEF graded stones? Perhaps pics of the YZ juxtaposed with the a colorless stone will give you some clarity?

Shakti

Rough_Rock
Long-time lurker popping up to say that the pictures look like T Star Limited (fancycolor_diamonds on Instagram). Do please take a close look at their Insta grid - it seems really obvious to me from the different-coloured fingers handling the stones (yellow-tinged for yellow, pink-toned for white) that there is a fair bit of colour manipulation going on. I have GIA-graded fancy vivid and fancy yellow stones from DBL and Alex Parks myself, and many of T Star’s photos of fancy yellow look similar to my vivids.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
^^ that is what I was getting at when I commented that the hand shot looked warm. The whole photo looked warm. I have no idea who the vendor is FWIW.

@junebug17 Looks delicious lemony to me and I’m sure the setting helps!

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
Update time. Spoiler: nothing seems to be happening and I'm slightly puzzled.

So, Friday I talked more with the vendor about the stone and specifically the tone and colour of it, showed them the GIA images and some other photos I had collected. They explained what they were seeing and also sent me an additional photo of the stone on white background, the colour of which according to them was most true to life.

I spent several more hours contemplating and comparing the photo to the inspo images I've gathered and it fit nicely in tone in what I had deemed attractive enough to save and bookmark. So I said I'd take the diamond. That was late in the evening on Friday for them so we set some details quickly like shipping country and preferred payment method and from that point on nothing much has happened.

I imagine they probably work during the weekend, but I got sick and spent the entirety of Saturday and Sunday in bed. I wrote Monday to ask about arranging the sale. They said they were checking shipping "upstairs", which I imagine is some head office, later wrote they were checking with a shipping company, and that's the last I heard from them.

I'm not sure what to do now. I'm leaning towards just leaving things as they are because I'm not sure if I'm comfortable working with a vendor who forgets about me and doesn't seem too concerned with closing the sale. On the other hand, maybe the guy I've been talking to is also sick, who knows? I got sick, it's not out of the realm of possibilities.

Long-time lurker popping up to say that the pictures look like T Star Limited (fancycolor_diamonds on Instagram).

Yeah, that's the vendor. And look, while I appreciate the good intentions, please keep in mind that giving out the vendor name like this is something you should avoid. There's a reason why people either put the stones on hold before they ask about them here, or don't disclose the vendor identity at all. History has known numerous occasions where someone asks about a stone or a piece they're interested in and several hours or a day later it is sold. Lurkers be lurkin'.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results