shape
carat
color
clarity

The wider, thicker more rounded e-ring setting CAD (finally)

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Here's the CAD, for those who remember I wanted a change from my simple EC 4-prong setting to"wider, thicker, more substantial, more like my wedding band" and instead got the skinny, widdle child's ring.
Opinions, go!

20161001_104642.jpg 20161114_231224.jpg

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Re: The wider, thicker more rounded e-ring setting CAD (fina

I also replied to his CAD pics tonight with these, which have less obvious baguette setting. I'm not fond of bars, etc. If they can be avoided. This one isn't rounded and it's more tapered than I really like -- I just like the looks of the baguettes setting. The middle stone is probably much bigger than my .71

20161114_233935.jpg

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock

Do you have measurements? How wide and thick EXACTLY is the shank on the new version? I really like the ring you pictured as an example; looks very substantial. I would be going for that.

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium

sorry, I guess the pics are too small to see dimensions. enlarged here...I don't like the way it tapers at the baguette, then widens again at bottom of shank. I guess so palm side is more comfortable, but I just don't want tapering beyond the baguette. Maybe it can't be as rounded as I would like, but surely there is some way to sink a baguette in there and not have a sharp division with a bar. My example above isn't domed/rounded, but isn't sharply-cut, either, like the one he's doing over.

20161115_163712.png 20161115_163602.png

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium

why does it have to taper here where the baguette tapers? is that some rule or something? So wish these were flush set...I've watched my old jeweler burnish in stones on other jewelry made for my family and me. Suddenly no one can figure out how to set stones flush? I was told the depth of the baguettes would be a factor, but good heavens, how much depth could two small .15 baguettes on either side need?

photostudio_1479207854375__2_.jpg

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Likely they taper because they're following the lines of the baguette. If you want it to be one size all the way around, tell them so and have them fix it. But don't approve it as is.

As for the bars, those are there to hold the baguette in place. In your inspiration images they're there, but not as visible as the CAD.

In your inspiration image, send a bigger one to them, DRAW A BIG READ CIRCLE around the area that you want to see on the next CAD. And explain that you don't want a taper, you want the ring to have the same width all the way around (if the bottom is 2.60, and you're happy with that, go with that all the way around.) just know that if you do that, you will have metal around the baguettes.

In the inspiration image, the stones are fatter, so match up well with the width of the band. But if you want a wide band and you don't care if there's metal around the outside of the stone, just say so and ask for it to be represented that way in the CAD.

But don't approve until it fits exactly what you want.

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Arcadian|1479250792|4099030 said:
Likely they taper because they're following the lines of the baguette. If you want it to be one size all the way around, tell them so and have them fix it. But don't approve it as is.

As for the bars, those are there to hold the baguette in place. In your inspiration images they're there, but not as visible as the CAD.

In your inspiration image, send a bigger one to them, DRAW A BIG READ CIRCLE around the area that you want to see on the next CAD. And explain that you don't want a taper, you want the ring to have the same width all the way around (if the bottom is 2.60, and you're happy with that, go with that all the way around.) just know that if you do that, you will have metal around the baguettes.

In the inspiration image, the stones are fatter, so match up well with the width of the band. But if you want a wide band and you don't care if there's metal around the outside of the stone, just say so and ask for it to be represented that way in the CAD.

But don't approve until it fits exactly what you want.

I have actually drawn a BIG ORANGE CIRCLE around what I want to see different. And the emerald ring I keep showing, those baguettes are flush set...I DO want metal around the baguettes. I want to see them floating in it! I'm approving nothing until I see rounded edges and no tapering!

Here are the latest changes from last night's notes...

img_47411.png img_47401.png

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium

and I sent him this photo, asking is there any way that shoulder (is that what that is at the bar?) be less...obvious? I've only sent him these inspiration pics 500 times, now....sigh. as well as the emerald ring with the floating baguettes...people just do not want customers to have a tomboyish, thicker, wider e-ring!

resized_20161115_172252.jpg

20161020_155502.jpg

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Better pics of this setting I love -- except I don't want quite this wide...and of course my EC is smaller..AND I'd want polished-rounded edges, but this is almost perfection, and I've been showing it since Sept 6, my first visit, and every subsequent one, to both jewelers!

Just slight adjustments for size of stones, but I do like the look of the baguettes with the metal around them.

20161115_174023.jpg

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock

I think what you're asking for, and the examples you have provided, are pretty straightforward. I forget whether you are stuck with this jeweler? It's hard to understand why they are having so much trouble following your directions.

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Sagefemme|1479255138|4099065 said:
I think what you're asking for, and the examples you have provided, are pretty straightforward. I forget whether you are stuck with this jeweler? It's hard to understand why they are having so much trouble following your directions.

They've merged stores/owners, remodeled a new space... I'm usually quite assertive, but I let them talk me into fixing the first mess up, and have said no rush because they're moving and assimilating, but 5 weeks after move, I decided to stop giving breaks and ask for action. It's a business. If the changes caused jobs to stack up, then they need to work longer and more, that's on them, not the customers, right?

I'm only doing this once. Usually I'm a bad cop in chat, where no feelings get hurt, and customer service is miles away. But maybe I've let this guy"nice" me into sitting on my assertive nature.

So yesterday and today, some action forward. And given the scratches and notches in the first delicate setting, I shouldn't have to pay more, even if there's labor involved or more metal or whatever.

My feeling had been that he's going to try all the things and get it just right, once. He's said he'd try different options, think on it, really wanted to play around with it. That was October 6, when I just wanted my original setting back and a refund. I really believed that he felt his new employee he'd just bought out had screwed up, and he wanted the chance, even though they were moving, and mine was an unexpected project to redo...

We voted on October 24, we dropped in and were told he had settings coming in the next day or so and we'd hear from him. Then dropped in Nov 2 and 10th because we hadn't heard from him. He showed what he had, said "so sorry we are so busy!"

I get all stewed up and upset late at night about it.

I decided, enough time, he needs to put in more hours and keep me posted!! If you have a business, you must make it a priority, but I do think he at first was thinking on it and has inspiration pics on his phone. If he dings the bell on it, I'll be really happy and that's good for everyone. It's closer than it was, now. Glad I started on it now instead of near my anniversary in January!

I allowed extra time for the unexpected project, the move, etc. I gave him enough time to think about it in between his scheduled projects. Five weeks after move, I sent in a timeline and asked how he'd be feeling after all this time...

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium

N-jo|1479260785|4099097 said:

My feeling had been that he's going to try all the things and get it just right, once. He's said he'd try different options, think on it, really wanted to play around with it. That was October 6, when I just wanted my original setting back and a refund. I really believed that he felt his new employee he'd just bought out had screwed up, and he wanted the chance, even though they were moving, and mine was an unexpected project to redo...

I'm sorry you are so frustrated with this, N-jo. I'm wondering the same thing as Sagefemme... maybe the answer isn't that he needs to spend more hours on it, maybe it is simply time to find another jeweler? Maybe this project is beyond the scope of this person who inherited it. Maybe don't waste any more of your precious energy trying to push someone to execute something when they aren't grasping what you want (or are unable to produce what you want) and appear to be not prioritizing the job.

*Hugs* Sorry this project hasn't worked out the way you wanted.

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium

elizabethess|1479320734|4099339 said:
N-jo|1479260785|4099097 said:

I'm sorry you are so frustrated with this, N-jo. I'm wondering the same thing as Sagefemme... maybe the answer isn't that he needs to spend more hours on it, maybe it is simply time to find another jeweler? Maybe this project is beyond the scope of this person who inherited it. Maybe don't waste any more of your precious energy trying to push someone to execute something when they aren't grasping what you want (or are unable to produce what you want) and appear to be not prioritizing the job.

*Hugs* Sorry this project hasn't worked out the way you wanted.
well, I had taken back that dinky setting and asked for refund and my diamond to be put back into the 4 prong simple setting it was in...he all but begged me to please let him figure out a way to make it right...

Right now, I do not want to take my diamond, currently set into that teeny dime-store setting and pay another jeweler to change it. I can't afford that, for one thing. It's paid for, it's in the setting they said would be like my inspiration photos. They had the option when I showed what I wanted, of saying "you know these Stuller settings will not look like these, they will be wispy dainty things?" They should have immediately said "you're going to need custom made to get what these Pinterest Pins look like..." but no -- they let me believe the Stuller would be substantial -- the air brushed pic -- who knows, it looked plump and substantial...and then my husband stopped in as they were closing to grab, pay, go...just a cursory look because I've trusted this jeweler for 40 years...then we open it at home and are shocked by it? The notches, the scratches, the sloppy polishing, and the lack of gram weight -- They really do need to make it right. I don't want to take as is and pay even more to have another jeweler mess with it.

I haven't heard from my jeweler today, he's probably cursing me 10 ways from Sunday about all the floating baguette pics I sent him this morning, along with the statement - "I showed these DAY 1 -- if you couldn't order what I wanted why didn't you tell me we had to do a custom ring? And if you were too busy, why didn't you give me a time in the future or just say "we can't handle this." ?

This thing is making me crazy. He's understood some things, and altered when I said "no not that" but he still means to keep it so narrow and tapered where the baguettes taper. I am going to have to have a banner printed that says STOP TAPERING NJ'Os BAND! and hang it in his shop. Mercy. I want my ringgggggg

I blame BLake Lively for all this "all diamond, no metal" trend!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ahh I missed this thread and commented on your old one. But I'll repeat it here. I think this is the point where you demand a refund and do a credit card chargeback if you don't get one. I have no idea what the problem is but they clearly can't do it, and giving them repeated chances is just going to be ramming your head pointlessly into the wall. I'd send it to David Klass or someone who will get it right without fifty iterations of wrong.

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium

distracts|1479366110|4099620 said:
Ahh I missed this thread and commented on your old one. But I'll repeat it here. I think this is the point where you demand a refund and do a credit card chargeback if you don't get one. I have no idea what the problem is but they clearly can't do it, and giving them repeated chances is just going to be ramming your head pointlessly into the wall. I'd send it to David Klass or someone who will get it right without fifty iterations of wrong.

I'd have to have it set back into my old setting, so they'd have to fix that, because they ripped it apart. I wouldn't send it off to anyone, that's more trouble and worry than this is. I gave him notes on the last pics he sent, so if I hear nothing by Friday, I guess I will insist it be reset into the old setting. It was fine for 10 years. I'm old...it'll be ok the rest of my life.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think you're heading in the right direction N-jo. Just have them sink the ends of the baguettes into the metal. Also need
to make the shank more rounded or at least comfort fit then I think you'll be there right?

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium

tyty333|1479385835|4099681 said:
I think you're heading in the right direction N-jo. Just have them sink the ends of the baguettes into the metal. Also need
to make the shank more rounded or at least comfort fit then I think you'll be there right?
Well it's been a rough couple of hopeless days, but I discovered that talking to the counter person, or office manager or assistant got me heard, I think.

I called, she had me email my edits instead of texting Mr Jeweler, who was home with a sick child.

Here's her email after i sent the edits of the CAD and the rendering: I feel hope. Dare I?

They send the CAD design out of town to a jeweler with a 3d printer, she says. Nice of her to share more info after 9 weeks....

20161119_032531.jpg

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

N-jo, this seems promising to me, it sounds like she understands what you want and I'm feeling a little more hopeful now. Hang in there, I'm really hoping this jeweler will come through for you!

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Far better communication. Do you want in more rounder than this on top though? Just a feeling. Remember though you don't want to shrink the centre stone lool.

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium

I do fear shrinking my center stone but I did say this isn't meant to be chunky or clunky or too wide. That it needs to have enough platinum around the baguettes which are 2.25mm wide tapering to 1.75mm think. They are 4.50mm long east to west, I think? Flanking an emerald cut that is 4.43mm wide and 6mm-something mm north to south. So it should still be smallish engagement ring looking just not as dainty as the current setting.

I was trying to be as precise as I could -- ha-- and say just enough platinum north and south of the 2.25mm to make them look like they're floating and some platinum and not taper it where baguette is tapering.

I don't know what fraction of a millimeter should be on either side of the wide part of the baguette to get the look I want. I guess I'm going to have to get some kind of mathematical program or some calipers or just the ruler and figure out the tiniest bit that would make it look like it's inside the band. I don't want those bars. anybody have any idea what fraction of a millimeter should go on either side of a 2.25 mm baguette? Can't it fit into a 3mm or less band,?

Ideas? I told her the band needs to remain as narrow as it can, after all it is an engagement ring. I shouldn't expect that it would be more than 3mm wide to have a little Platinum around a 2.25mm baguette. I'm confused why they insist on tapering it at the point where the diamond tapers. I have never asked for that. I have repeatedly said no tapering of the band. My wedding band doesn't taper! I wanted the engagement ring to be round and not tapered just like the wedding band, why is that so difficult?

I have sometimes felt that I have reiterated what I want with these people too much? but clearly even though I feel I have been a broken record, they are just now starting to understand what I want. Even with all the pictures and the face-to-face meetings and showing my wedding band type and that I want the ring with my stone and baguettes to resemble the rounded band of my wedding band. I feel I've been talking into thin air -- clearly I can't reiterate enough with them!

crossing my fingers that we are getting closer. thank you all so much for your input and advice and suggestions and empathy!

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium

The latest. He wants to know if I want the platinum renderings. I'm so tired of this process.

Wish I'd just had my diamond set into a thick comfort fit 2.5mm solitaire at Blue Nile. Sigh. 20161121_124540.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think its looking good in the baguette area...are you ok with it or is there something you dont like about it?

The other thing is that the prongs stick out at the bottom of the shank. You are going to have a small space between
your ering and your wedding band. Are you ok with that? If not, you may want him to sort of melt the prongs into the
bottom of the shank like the above pictured ring with the orange circles on it.

Edit...the top picture with the orange circle.

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium

20161121_153132.png

I asked for rounded edges and interior. He sent me this stupid question after 10 weeks. My husband is stopping by to pick up stone and original setting.. And if there's no refund, I'll take him to court.. idiot CANNOT comprehend the word "rounded" with regard to inside, sides, bottom of shank, edges!!!

I see sharp edges at sides and bottom, am I alone??? olsen_nancy_overview_11-20-16_1_.jpg

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I see edges but I'd hardly call them "sharp" edges.

It does seem like there's no possibility of going forward with a good working relationship with this jeweler, so pulling the plug is probably the wisest thing to do.

Good luck going forward! Before you start working with another jeweler, you might consider writing up a description of the ring you want, and posting here - we might be able to help ensure that your verbal/written description matches your vision so that the next iteration will go more smoothly.

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium

20161121_182932.jpg

Had it out with him in person. He claims he sent these earlier. He sent them as I stood there, but it was not a "resend" ...

Also claims he sent other messages but I never got them, in mid October and the 12 radio silent days in early November.. I never even had his email until Friday!!

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium

photostudio_1479776123670.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Looks like the Nov 21 shank width is too narrow again. Do you know the width it is in that picture?

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006|1479777805|4101254 said:
Looks like the Nov 21 shank width is too narrow again. Do you know the width it is in that picture?

this is after I asked for him to soften the edges more rounded...more like my very very rounded off wedding band. The dimensions are 2mm something. I think....I asked for the sides and bottom of the shank to be more like an o-ring as opposed to a washer...

I asked the same for my wedding band in those same terms, it finally got me what I had in mind. It shaves a bit off, but I just like the feel and the look. It's not everyone's taste, but it is mine. And I've told him all along that's what I wanted. He thought I meant ALL OVER the band, including where the diamonds are set. I never said that, I said "edges, inside, bottom" ROUNDED OFF

and this is not even the first custom anything I have, I have MANY pieces, over many years. My husband has custom bicycles made. We have NEVER come across this level of incomprehension and lack of customer service. IT's just WEIRD.

This:
o-ring_boden2108.jpg

oring_2.gif

instead of the flat washer gasket shape.
washer.jpg

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium

anybody still there? THinking I need to go back to the less tapered sides of the Nov 14 design... in order to come close to the slightly flatter sides of the lower left "real ring" image, which has been in my inspiration photos... sides are the issue, here. Don't want them too tapered! anybody?

20161122_125947.jpg 20161122_140412.jpg

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wonder if the jeweller would understand the word 'tubular' maybe?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results