shape
carat
color
clarity

The wider, thicker more rounded e-ring setting CAD (finally)

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Re: The wider, thicker more rounded e-ring setting CAD (fina

Pyramid|1479859156|4101637 said:
Wonder if the jeweller would understand the word 'tubular' maybe?
Ha! Good word.

I really am worried that he polished the side edges into a pinched look. Maybe should've stuck with the Nov 21 design on sides instead of the one sent later in the day that's so SO tapered on sides.

This is the last step before cooking up the platinum! Torture trying to decide!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think if he had stuck with Nov 14 and kept that width but added the rounded sides, you might be closer to what you want. Instead, he shaved off width to make it have rounded sides when he should have added the rounded sides. I do think flatter sides look fine as long as the top of the shank is curved, though. If you want the shank rounded, I'd just specify you want it like Nov 21 but increased to 3mm width (or whatever).

I didn't read back all the way again to see if this has been mentioned, but is he making the height of this shank to work with the wedding band height?

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Pyramid|1479859156|4101637 said:
Wonder if the jeweller would understand the word 'tubular' maybe?

this is untapered, so very tubular. Not loving it, though. I need to respond with the image I want when ready. And I am making up my mind tonight, I wanted it "put to bed" before holidays so I can stop thinking about it.

tubular?
unnamed_3.png

rounded outside edges that look kinda like there's a pinch there? or is it shadows??

olson_nancy_cad_measurement_through_finger.jpg

or rounded inside with not-so-rounded edges that could be polished off/beveled a bit later, if too clunky.

olsen_nancy_overview_11-20-16_1__0.jpg

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006|1479863998|4101665 said:
I think if he had stuck with Nov 14 and kept that width but added the rounded sides, you might be closer to what you want. Instead, he shaved off width to make it have rounded sides when he should have added the rounded sides. I do think flatter sides look fine as long as the top of the shank is curved, though. If you want the shank rounded, I'd just specify you want it like Nov 21 but increased to 3mm width (or whatever).

I didn't read back all the way again to see if this has been mentioned, but is he making the height of this shank to work with the wedding band height?

yes, he's measured my wedding band height.

I am not sure if the Nov 21 photos are as tapered on the sides as they look, or if it's shadows. I think I am going to go with the Nov 14 design...If I need the edges softened, that can always be done later. Better to start off with more width than less, and buff off a bit locally.

I have a 3mm wedding band that is 2.3mm thick, that is not shaved off at edges, and it has the same look as the flatter sides of the Nov 14 pic. He'll probably have an aneurysm for asking for rounding...he maintains the Nov 14 design is rounded inside, for comfort. I think I will lose metal with the Nov 21 one. I think it appears shaved off, too.

Okay, THANK you for narrowing it down for me. The totally rounded one is tooooooo o-ringy! Donut!

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium

The end result of redoing the tinny, thin setting from last September.
Very happy with it, except the prongs are a bit tall, but I'll have that addressed later. Just wanted it NOW!!

It was barely 1mm thick and wide at shank bottom before, now it's 2+mm thick and wide. It no longer tapers at the taper of the baguettes. Much better and more comfortable. Looks like not much of a change, but believe me, the difference is significant. That other ring felt like silver plastic. This one weighs almost 8gms. Not a tall profile, either. Lines up nicely with my wedding band, unlike the other one.

received_10207071207289756.jpg

Left, views of 1st reset/ Right side, the fix.Plus a palm side view of the wider, thicker shank of the new setting next to my 4mm wedding band.

received_10207071158728542.jpg

received_10207071745183203.jpg

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Looks nice with your weeding band! Glad it's back on your hand!!!!!!!!

upgradingmama

Shiny_Rock
Premium

I've been reading your story quietly and am so happy to see the final result. It looks like they finally "got it". It looks fantastic. Enjoy!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh it looks great, it turned out beautifully and looks lovely on your hand and very nice with your band, I'm really glad you have a ring you can enjoy! Congrats!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

So much better!!! :appl: Sorry it was such an ordeal, but you were right not to accept the first version!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

N-jo so glad you were finally able to get what you wanted!

iwantsparkle

Shiny_Rock

Looks great! Yay!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I can absolutely see the difference. Its def. rounder looking, which works better with your band :appl:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think it looks good! You got your nice wide rounded shank! Looks like they finally got it! :clap:

So hard when you want something out of the norm!

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium

low profile, yet still gets closer to band. I think he went with the first of four CAD he did, it seems to taper sightly at shank sides and widen at bottom, but I haven't taken calipers to it. I would've like the baguettes gypsy set, as long as we were having to make from scratch, but this is just what i wanted in the first place. I think the even wider design would've been costly for the extra platinum necessary for a really sturdier ring.

So this was no extra$, despite all the CAD. I won't be going there again except to polish down the prongs. They don't know the difference between "rounded off" edges and "tapered-to-a-fare-thee-well"!

Three months to the DAY I first went in to look at settings.

20161207_161502.jpg

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Update, January 16 -- got into the bath with all stones intact -- got out with this. 15977952_10207394726337530_7064493617947657041_n_25.jpg

I'm done. If this ring can't survive 5 weeks of gentle wear, I'm just done. This jeweler is a nut. I texted the pic, he said is that a stone missing (yes, but it was retrieved from tub later, he doesn't know that) He replied to bring it in to fix.

My husband is taking it in, and asking for my stone to be removed. I know people with much fancier rings, family included, who have never lost a stone in wearing a ring daily. Three months of craziness over this setting and creation. It still needed prong shaving, and a few things but I didn't want to be without it. Now, we will eat the cost - which makes me CRAZY -- and send the diamond off to Blue Nile from whence it came, and was perfectly fine in its solitaire setting for 10+ years, with routine prong checks.

i am so upset, I was speechless for a couple of hours. I texted my husband, who was out to dinner and had just ordered a beer -- he left that and his friends and came home, knowing I would be beside myself.

If that jeweler had given me the wider, thicker, more substantial ring I asked for from Day ONE, this might not have happened. Also had noticed the bars next to the middle stone were not polished -- rough and tacky, up very close.

Now, just trying to decide which setting from BN -- the classic comfort fit to go with a comfort fit rounded-edged 2.3mm thick wedding band,

or the low-dome, flatter looking one? I want the most substantial one, though both are 2.5mm. I guess the classic one will go better with my band.

I'm just beyond sick of this.
classic 2.5mm comfort fit setting

setting_template_main_8.jpg

low dome 2.5mm comfort fit

setting_template_main_29.jpg

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium

N-jo|1484642333|4115905 said:
Now, just trying to decide which setting from BN -- the classic comfort fit to go with a comfort fit rounded-edged 2.3mm thick wedding band,

or the low-dome, flatter looking one? I want the most substantial one, though both are 2.5mm. I guess the classic one will go better with my band.

N-jo, sorry to hear about the latest issue with your reset.

When I was choosing my wedding band the jeweler explained that a "low-dome" profile does have a bit of rounding (doming) on the outside, but overall is more thin and more flat than a classic domed band (hence LOW dome vs. classic or heavy dome). When I say thinner I don't mean width--both of the ones you linked are 2.5mm WIDTH--but rather the thickness as if you were to lay it flat on a table and view from the side.

I did not see thickness measurement listed on the BN website for e-ring settings, but when I looked at their wedding bands the 2.5mm comfort fit band lists a thickness (they call it height) of 2mm. The low dome comfort fit band lists a thickness (height) of 1.75mm. They do have a chat feature, so you might want to talk to a rep there to confirm that there is a difference.

Hope that helps clarify your choice.

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Thank you for the input! I spoke on the phone with the BN people last night and had pretty much settled on the classic. I didn't see the 1.75 thickness/height of the low dome at the time, and neither could she.

But my wedding band, not from Blue Nile, is a heavy, domed one, and is 2.3mm thick. My previous setting was their basic 4 prong, which sat next to my band as if made to go there.

I have the diamond out now, and the setting with one baguette set, another one loose. Not a penny back from him so not sure why he was so nasty to my husband, but if paying him $2400 makes my stomach stop hurting, it was worth it to both of us. My husband is the most laid back person I know, and he's absolutely been simmering over this.

Jeweler says oh rings lose stones.... My mother, in 60 years, has not lost a stone from her bezel set diamond ring, neither has my mother in law, or my sister in law who has a 25 year old emerald cut and baguette extravaganza she never takes off, never lost a stone.

So, 5 weeks, losing a stone, prominent prongs, etc. I can't take any more of it or them. I don't know if anyone in town buys platinum, but I'll just pretend my other rings I DO like cost that much. Waiting for this, my husband also gave me a rose gold band and a James Avery (Texas company) wide silver band with 10 scattered stones, 10 th anniversary. So those are special, and worth in sweetness what we've lost on the e-ring from hell.

And now I don't have to be reserved about who the Jeweler is! I am able to spill to friends about such attitude and unprofessionalism. He was belligerent about even keeping the money paid to him and taking the diamond out. Wanted to fix it and said he'd show my husband how to remove my emerald-cut later if we still wanted to do it after it was fixed.

I wanted my diamond out of his shop, period. I'm getting an ulcer from this.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh no N-jo...so sorry to hear this. I had a 3 stone with baguette sides in plat that I wore for 17 years...never lost a stone and it
was a lot less substantial than your setting.

I think the Classic looks like it would go best with your wedding bands being that it has a little bit of roundness to it. Can you
ask them the weight of each setting? That might help you figure out which is more substantial.

I hope you can get it set and can forget it (and enjoy it) from here on out!

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Thanks, yes, this isn't my first jewelry, I've never had a stone fall out except when I banged a ring into the metal door of a Fedex dropbox. Damage caused a loose stone. Maybe HE has stones fall out a lot, but people I know don't often have stones fall out! And in a ring that's new? Please. After all that drama over three months, he should've made sure I could ride that ring into space without any fails.

interestingly, looking over the rings on his facebook page, there are closeups of rings -- all smooth and shiny -- my ring could NEVER be photographed in detail like those. They didn't polish the bars on either side of the middle stone. All rough and not shiny. Ugh. I wasn't important enough as a customer, apparently.

So, yeah, the solitaires at Blue Nile that I'm comparing - they're the same width, and I like 2.5, would even like 3mm, but the preview pics of them just make that low-dome one look so much more substantial -- and it costs more, too. Even my original setting, the 4-prong 2mm, costs more, I think, than the classic comfort fit one. Why would that be? Lower price=less platinum, in my mind... I'm waiting for them to open so there will be the proper person to talk to, in chat or on phone.

Wondering if anyone here has a solitaire from BN - going to do a search. Thanks!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am SO LIVID on your behalf! I can't believe that the baguette just came right out after all this trouble. I can't believe the jeweler isn't even refunding you - if you paid via credit card, can you do a chargeback? I think this is the sort of situation that merits it given how much you've been jerked around and how subpar the final product was.

Please post a picture of your other rings! I love James Avery, I have a lot of their charms. I'd love to see your ring from them.

If you want a baguette setting still, you could always try one of the jewelers recommended here like David Klass or High Performance Diamonds... I think any of them could make you a substantial and durable baguette setting with far less hassle than this jeweler has given you. Otherwise the Blue Nile rings look good, I like the second (low dome) and think it would look better with your wedding band.

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium

distracts|1484697628|4116089 said:
I am SO LIVID on your behalf! I can't believe that the baguette just came right out after all this trouble. I can't believe the jeweler isn't even refunding you - if you paid via credit card, can you do a chargeback? I think this is the sort of situation that merits it given how much you've been jerked around and how subpar the final product was.

Please post a picture of your other rings! I love James Avery, I have a lot of their charms. I'd love to see your ring from them.
(snip)
Otherwise the Blue Nile rings look good, I like the second (low dome) and think it would look better with your wedding band.

thanks for being livid for me -- honestly, this just laid me out. In bed with upset stomach all day. My husband took care of the thing. It's a relief to be rid of them, there were other issues. It's my fault for having been in shock the first day I let them set my stone into a ring I knew wasn't right. It's my fault, ultimately, that it spiraled out of control with a guy who lied and kept insisting that DELICATE is what the trend is, and generally ignored or misunderstood every other thing I said, and only responded when I sent texts prompting him "a month, 6 weeks...almost two months now!" etc... it's worth it to get away from it all.

My James Avery ring -- is a retired design with 10 scattered tiny diamond, I forget the carat weight. I like it. This is my usual "EDW" every day wear, though today I had on morganite diamond pear ring and a little rose gold/diamond ring and my new rose gold anniversary band. But this is my usually bunch of stuff. Hard to get a pic of the band without the ceiling fan in it!

I did like the look of the low-dome band at BN, but after talking to someone for a while, I picked the classic comfort fit. It's thicker/higher at 2mm, is 2.5mm wide and rounded like my wedding band. The low dome is only 1.75 thick/high. She said they will work with me and if the classic is not high enough to clear my wedding band or sit neatly next to it, they'll thicken it up or do whatever it takes, a little bit of custom stuff. Little diamond is ready to head out tomorrow. I just want all this baguette stuff behind me. I'm sad, but I still have, like 8 gms of platinum and 2 baguettes, so if I go crazy and decide on a custom anything in the immediate future, I have something to start with. .HA!

20170117_224528_2.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results