shape
carat
color
clarity

THE TIME HAS COME | CAD Renderings

Diamondz1

Shiny_Rock
Hi Mailin, Would you consider buying your original custom setting back from BE, if they still have it?

That may sound like a lack-luster option at this point but, that setting had almost everything on your wish list, plus the major benefit of offering you a knowable outcome, and none of the risk of a third custom project. And, it was beautiful!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a thought: give your intended the budget and let her pick out her own ring. I mean, it seems to me that this ring and your situation has lost any romance or magical quality to getting engaged. You are, so to speak, "putting a ring on it."

Let her do the looking and the buying.

(I have seen several long term committed relationships end over less than this... it seems to me you can't see the bigger picture and you should remember that perfection does not exist.)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
whitewave|1476804564|4088234 said:
Here is a thought: give your intended the budget and let her pick out her own ring. I mean, it seems to me that this ring and your situation has lost any romance or magical quality to getting engaged. You are, so to speak, "putting a ring on it."

Let her do the looking and the buying.

(I have seen several long term committed relationships end over less than this... it seems to me you can't see the bigger picture and you should remember that perfection does not exist.)

This is exactly what I was thinking... if she picks it out, it's a win-win for both of you. AAAAANNNNDDDD, she'll get to finally wear her ring. 8)

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
The thing I will say is that perhaps you could get what you want, if you show a new jeweler (possibly David Klass, though I also agree Maytal Hannah has done similar designs, including a petal basket and pave) actual IMAGES of the rings you've had made so far, and point out EXACTLY what you don't like about them--use very specific language and images. I am not sure I fully understand your critique of the most recent ring, because the way you've described the issues don't make sense to me (other than the finish--I can tell what you're saying there)--and I've been a PS member since 2007 and have a pretty wide jewelry vocabulary. Maybe we can help you to be more "jewelry-language specific"? Or you could draw things out, or show images and we could translate that into words.

I also think that, perhaps if the only issue with the BE ring was the petal basket (putting aside all the communication issues), maybe just have them give it one more try, if they can deliver the ring they made but with a petal basket and you'd be okay with that. Honestly, if they are willing to try again, I might take them up on it if you were happy with everything except the basket being the incorrect design.

Edited to add: regarding the "never satisfied" comments, you aren't the first PSer to have a ring re-made, and you won't be the last. A longtime user had THREE versions made of the same ring, which from some perspectives is just crazy, but from others, the attitude was, "you should get what you pay for" in the search for perfection. Some of us have genuine OCD issues when it comes to jewelry and the work being "loupe clean." So I don't think you're that much of an odd duck, I just think that maybe your manner/directness is offputting to some people, and may be why some jewelers are just like, "This is the best we can do, good luck!"

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
rubybeth|1476805977|4088246 said:
Edited to add: regarding the "never satisfied" comments, you aren't the first PSer to have a ring re-made, and you won't be the last. A longtime user had THREE versions made of the same ring, which from some perspectives is just crazy, but from others, the attitude was, "you should get what you pay for" in the search for perfection. Some of us have genuine OCD issues when it comes to jewelry and the work being "loupe clean." So I don't think you're that much of an odd duck, I just think that maybe your manner/directness is offputting to some people, and may be why some jewelers are just like, "This is the best we can do, good luck!"

Yes, but that person paid for each setting and wore them while still trying to pinpoint what the 'problem' was. Different from getting exactly what you asked for (albeit not what you were trying to convey) and then saying it's not what you wanted. Many people here have made costly mistakes. I agree, PSers are a PICKY bunch and everyone is entitled to get exactly what they want but it seems OP is looking for VC quality in CAD/without paying the price tag and then blaming the vendors, which I don't agree with.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My perspective is that of someone who was dragged along by a man who wouldn't commit. It was baaaaaby steps for him. We even bought the ring together, and it still took him another 1.5 years to actually give it to me.

We were together 9.5 years before we got married.

I had to give him an ultimatum: by New Year's Eve by 11:59 or that's it. I'm walking. Completely sick of this BS.

New Year's came and do you know he waited until 11 pm before giving it to me. (I was young and in love and he's lucky that's how it was because if I had been over 30, I would have walked without an ultimatum).

(He turned out to be a great husband... daddy issues made him scared of change/big events in life. I have a very crappy engagement story to tell andI make something up when anyone asks-- which no one ever does at this point)

So of course, I sort of wonder if the root issue here is that OP doesn't want to give GF a ring. Its that whole "just not into you" thing... if he wanted to give her a ring, he would have bought her a nice solitare that no one can screw up, and he would have given it to her.

Yes, I'm sitting on my armchair giving comments from the peanut gallery. I feel sorry for his GF because she is putting up with a lot here...

Diamondz1

Shiny_Rock
Chris and Mark from BE said, from the emails posted in the previous thread, and this seemed to be the main point of contention, that the petals from the Megan design could not be done with a split shank - the split shank being the OP's customization.

The OP also noted in that thread that the petals were his girlfriend's favorite aspect of the design so, it does sound like she's involved in the process.

Mailin, If you haven't already seen this thread, the original Megan ring is posted in a lot of beautiful high-def pictures. I think it's lovely even without the split shank, perhaps the Megan as-is could be an option? If you choose to try a third custom build, to rubybeth's point, you could also use these pictures to help you describe exactly what you want:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-gorgeous-dainty-erd-rose-gold-halo-omb.191094/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-gorgeous-dainty-erd-rose-gold-halo-omb.191094/[/URL]

Mailin

Rough_Rock
Diamondz1|1476803320|4088227 said:
Hi Mailin, Would you consider buying your original custom setting back from BE, if they still have it?

That may sound like a lack-luster option at this point but, that setting had almost everything on your wish list, plus the major benefit of offering you a knowable outcome, and none of the risk of a third custom project. And, it was beautiful!
--- I would not. There are plenty of more vendors out there before I would spend money on a ring that isn't what I want.

Gypsy|1476773944|4088144 said:
Where do you live?
--- Live in VT, the 3rd vendor was in Boston. I never claimed I knew better than anyone on these forums, so please do not misconstrue my words. I showed exactly what I wanted done to the vendor, he said he could make it happen. I believed him and was wrong to do so.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
I think all this presumes that BE would even entertain his business anymore, and based on the previous review posted I would be surprised if they wanted to try again with this particular customer. Not speaking for them, of course, but I would be wary of working with someone who had posted a scathing though accurate review of my work online then suddenly wanted to do business with me again.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mailin|1476742645|4088049 said:
1: The rings finish was "unfinished" looking. You can see all the joints where metal to metal was joined and it was not smoothed out enough. The ring also did not have a full polished look to it and could see the scratchy marks from abrasive.

Looking over this again... the ring was cast in one piece so there ARE no joints where metal to metal was joined. I am not sure what you think you're seeing there - more finishing issues? - but this is one of those complaints that the jeweler is just going to dismiss because it makes no sense to them.

whitewave|1476804564|4088234 said:

I have thought many times during this thread "the perfect is the enemy of the good."

ac117|1476807475|4088256 said:

Yes, but that person paid for each setting and wore them while still trying to pinpoint what the 'problem' was. Different from getting exactly what you asked for (albeit not what you were trying to convey) and then saying it's not what you wanted. Many people here have made costly mistakes. I agree, PSers are a PICKY bunch and everyone is entitled to get exactly what they want but it seems OP is looking for VC quality in CAD/without paying the price tag and then blaming the vendors, which I don't agree with.

Yeah.... I have no problem with having rings remade if you are paying for the contracted work. I suspect this guy isn't, which is what is really rubbing me the wrong way since this finished ring looks like exactly what he agreed on with the jeweler. If it turns out he had his stone unset but paid for all the labor anyway, I'll change my tune and happily help him find another jeweler. But until then... nah. Seems uncool to send someone who doesn't pay for contracted work to any vendor I like.

whitewave|1476807852|4088260 said:
So of course, I sort of wonder if the root issue here is that OP doesn't want to give GF a ring. Its that whole "just not into you" thing... if he wanted to give her a ring, he would have bought her a nice solitare that no one can screw up, and he would have given it to her.

I have thought that too, both in the original stone thread (from! one! year! ago!) and many times since. Most people I know couldn't wait to get engaged once they had decided on it. But I am always wary of judging on these things though since my husband and I got engaged after six months and once anyone gets beyond two years if they theoretically want to get married or worse want to marry their current partner I completely don't understand any holdup. So I know my personality is on the "decide quickly and commit" side of things.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you should hire Neal Beaty.

Mailin

Rough_Rock
... I am not sure I fully understand your critique of the most recent ring, because the way you've described the issues don't make sense to me (other than the finish--I can tell what you're saying there)--and I've been a PS member since 2007 and have a pretty wide jewelry vocabulary. Maybe we can help you to be more "jewelry-language specific"? Or you could draw things out, or show images and we could translate that into words.

I also think that, perhaps if the only issue with the BE ring was the petal basket (putting aside all the communication issues), maybe just have them give it one more try, if they can deliver the ring they made but with a petal basket and you'd be okay with that. Honestly, if they are willing to try again, I might take them up on it if you were happy with everything except the basket being the incorrect design.

--- Yeah, I was on my laptop and did not have any of the images on hand that I forwarded to the vendor with the highlighted sections and my more in depth descriptions of the issues. With the way pricescope lowers the quality of the images after uploading, it hides a lot of detail that I am attempting to show.

Some also seem upset that the rings weren't paid for but it isn't like I don't give deposits previous to anything being started. The last vendor did not want any form of payment/compensation for the work done due to my expressed issues that he agreed with. People are entitled to their own opinions and assumptions. I think it is only fair to my significant other to strive for "perfection" and I won't be deterred to make her happy :D

whitewave|1476807852|4088260 said:
My perspective is that of someone who was dragged along by a man who wouldn't commit. ...

(He turned out to be a great husband... daddy issues made him scared of change/big events in life. I have a very crappy engagement story to tell andI make something up when anyone asks-- which no one ever does at this point)

Yes, I'm sitting on my armchair giving comments from the peanut gallery. I feel sorry for his GF because she is putting up with a lot here...
--- I feel for your situation but not the issue in my case. I want the proposal to be special, I want the ring to be perfect, and I want everything to be spectacular. I personally won't jeopardize any of that in order to speed up the process to end up owning an inferior ring. I want to avoid the sad story you are stating at all cost because I do understand how important the process is and how taxing a bad proposal can be.

Diamondz1|1476811208|4088285 said:
Chris and Mark from BE said, from the emails posted in the previous thread, and this seemed to be the main point of contention, that the petals from the Megan design could not be done with a split shank - the split shank being the OP's customization.

The OP also noted in that thread that the petals were his girlfriend's favorite aspect of the design so, it does sound like she's involved in the process.

Mailin, If you haven't already seen this thread, the original Megan ring is posted in a lot of beautiful high-def pictures. I think it's lovely even without the split shank, perhaps the Megan as-is could be an option? If you choose to try a third custom build, to rubybeth's point, you could also use these pictures to help you describe exactly what you want:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-gorgeous-dainty-erd-rose-gold-halo-omb.191094/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-gorgeous-dainty-erd-rose-gold-halo-omb.191094/[/URL]
--- I saw that, it is a pretty ring. We used the Meghan as our reference ring when speaking to BE.

ac117|1476807475|4088256 said:
... agree, PSers are a PICKY bunch and everyone is entitled to get exactly what they want but it seems OP is looking for VC quality in CAD/without paying the price tag and then blaming the vendors, which I don't agree with.
--- I originally wanted BE because their work looked fantastic and my significant other wanted them to be the vendor. I considered VC but he will NOT work with 14k rose gold (I requested them to make an exception - He denied). The price of getting what I want was never an issue. To imply that money is the issue behind my multiple vendor issues is ignorance.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
To be fair, intricate pave work is more challenging in 14k gold. Doesn't mean most places won't do it, but handforgers are going to want to work with platinum because it is much easier to handforge successfully and the completed piece can be strong and delicate at the same time.

That said I think you can get what you want, but I am just not sure CAD design is for you. David Klass has always been able to interpret my scatterbrained thoughts pretty well and rather that starting as detailed as possible, I would do as I said above and say you want a delicate split shank halo ring, 14k rose gold, for a cushion of X size, with a floral basket and send an example of the basket you want.

Let him draw it up and then start discussing the CADs to make adjustments. That's when you tell him you want U-cut, decide the melee sizes, etc. If you try to lay out your exact requirements and after 3 attempts, it's not working, then I think you need to go about the process differently.

Having worked with him many times, once on a ring with many intricate details, I see absolutely no reason why he wouldn't be able to execute what you are trying to achieve here. He's also been flexible in the past about sending me the wax to try on, etc.

This ring is not the style of pave you want, but he did an excellent job with the detailed basket I wanted. He doesn't charge you until you're happy. I think if you go into it open minded and have a little faith that you don't need to micromanage, you will get what you were actually looking for in the first place.

roset6-1.jpg rose_gold_ring_1.jpg

And a more recent cushion halo from him, that I just grabbed from instagram:

screen_shot_2016-10-20_at_12.png

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rose gold is notorious for brittleness.
14k rose gold is exceptionally so, more than 18k.

Hand-forged 14k rose gold - eliminating the softness inherent in casting output (result of pouring molten metal into moulds), further work-hardening the metal... You're basically guaranteed to end up with a ring that will chip the first time you look at it wrong.

Far too many poor/mediocre benches seem to believe basic principles of metallurgy don't apply to them... Or turn into "yes-men" when it comes to closing the sale, whatever the pitfalls. Experts like Canera know what they're doing and have reasons - real, rational, sensible reasons - for their policies and procedures. I strongly advise that you alter your specifications to heed their advice.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kb1gra|1476936763|4088835 said:
To be fair, intricate pave work is more challenging in 14k gold. Doesn't mean most places won't do it, but handforgers are going to want to work with platinum because it is much easier to handforge successfully and the completed piece can be strong and delicate at the same time.

Yes, the reason Canera won't work in 14k rose gold is because of the brittleness. Many who do intricate pave won't use 14k because they it is both more difficult to work with and they feel it is not going to endure to the standard they want in their work, and 14k rose in particular is problematic. I personally would never get pave in 14k unless it was an inexpensive fun ring.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
This ring is not the style of pave you want, but he did an excellent job with the detailed basket I wanted. He doesn't charge you until you're happy. I think if you go into it open minded and have a little faith that you don't need to micromanage, you will get what you were actually looking for in the first place.

roset6-1.jpg

Is this your ring? Does it have a thread?? :love: :cheeky:

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
rubybeth|1476968485|4088894 said:

roset6-1.jpg

Is this your ring? Does it have a thread?? :love: :cheeky:

It is, sort of - it was actually a gift I had made for my mother - but I might have more pics of it around. I never made a SMTB thread for it. David Klass made that for me in 2013.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results