shape
carat
color
clarity

The thing you brag about the most?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
my ability to find great deals on clothes, and dress people well (other than myself
3.gif
)
having a 6.5 shoe size (sample size!).
my puppy!
and of course E.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/1/2009 2:38:27 AM
Author: whitby_2773

for me, it''s probably my taste. i''ve decorated all 13 of our houses (some of which we bought specifically to flip), have done all my close friends homes, have planned the weddings for all my close girlfriends - from menu to bridesmaids'' flowers - have arranged private dinners to huge banquets, and am called upon almost every day to fix a design problem or give decorative ideas. DH and i have had houses in magazines, on tv, and so on and so on. i love buying things that are old and broken down, and making something beautiful from them and am often asked to help prepare homes for sale so they achieve maximum price. i''ve done this both for friends for free and for bigger jobs for hire. i love design and color of all kinds - from setting a beautiful table for a dinner party, to going to a plastic surgeon with a friend to explain what my friend might want re correcting a bump in the chin, or an asymmetry in her nose, and so on. if it''s visual, it''s my thing.

my only other skill worth mentioning is that i can always calm animals and babies. i''m a child psych by profession, and i''ve always been able to take crying babies and help them relax/sleep. ditto dogs/cats/birds etc. i dont know why i can, but i''ve been called on by my friends to do it times beyond counting.

WOW! Those things ARE REALLY worth bragging about!!! I would love to see some examples of your work!!!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I brag about FI a lot; especially about his athletic ability (I tend to have no athletic ability, so this impresses me a lot). He played tennis two or three times in his life and when he finally played with friends (who play regularly) he was beating them.
6.gif
He also ran a 5k at work at the same pace he ran it in high school while on the cross country team (he didn''t practice at all; just showed up and ran). I hope our kids inherit his athletic genes and not mine!

I don''t brag about the college I went to, but I do bring it up because I had a fantastic time there (and since my job sucks, I often wish I could go back
2.gif
). However, since it''s kind of a fancy pants school, some people think I''m bragging
7.gif
If I told the same stories but inserted a lesser known school name, no one would think twice. I try not to mention the name, but people always ask and when I answer they''ll say "Ohhh, well isn''t *that* a fancy school. You must be a genius."
20.gif
20.gif

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Elrohwen, I get the same response when I tell ppl what school I went to also. But honestly, I did go to a fancy pants school but it is also an UBER nerd school, so everyone comes out socially awkward. Well, except me of course
9.gif

Also, I''m really good in the kitchen :) And pretty handy. I guess things I''m quite proud of.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I brag sometimes about my fiancee. He''s a really great guy and doesn''t do too many of the "typical man" things that a lot of girls complain about. We just get along so well-- for the most part anyway. If there''s ever a moment we don''t, I''m the one who makes it a big deal. (Still working on that
2.gif
).

There''s another thing too.
1.gif
It''s not really bragging though, more like just showing off. When my dance students whine about not having enough space/time to do something acrobatic in one of their dances, I''ll get up and do it myself to prove them wrong. All 5''9" 140 pounds of me. They''re like 100 pond 14 year olds telliing me they don''t have enough room.
20.gif
When they see the almost 30 year old "grown-up" do it, then they feel a little sheepish. I''ll only do it once in a loooong while, but seeing the surprised look on their faces is priceless.
21.gif

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/1/2009 10:48:54 AM
Author: lliang_chi
Elrohwen, I get the same response when I tell ppl what school I went to also. But honestly, I did go to a fancy pants school but it is also an UBER nerd school, so everyone comes out socially awkward. Well, except me of course
9.gif

Also, I''m really good in the kitchen :) And pretty handy. I guess things I''m quite proud of.
Haha, totally agree about the nerdiness thing. And I always try to tell people that while others at my school were geniuses, I just barely hung in there with them sometimes
2.gif

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My self-discipline with many things...

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ooooh this is a tricky one, because I don''t want to step on any toes ... but I''m intrigued that so many of my beloved PSers are "bragging" about someone *else*. Usually their DH or SO. Maybe its because I met my DH later in life, but I feel so independent from him, and he from me. I''m not responsible for any of his successes or for who he is as a person. (Guess you can thank him & his parents for that!)

Maybe I misread the original question to be more like "what are you most proud of" (as I don''t really outwardly "brag" about any of the things I mentioned -- but I also don''t "brag" about my DH or our relationship either).

Kids I understand more -- they''re from your loins and/or a direct product of your parenting efforts. You shape them from the beginning. They are, to some extent, a reflection on *you*. But people''s full grown spouses? Its kind of a happy bonus he''s awesome but I don''t claim ownership on his awesomeness. I''m delighted I had the good sense to snap him up when I found him, but that was so much luck & timing I can''t even get too pleased w/myself ''bout it.

** shrug **

I''d just like to understand where others are coming from ... PLEASE don''t interpret this as a criticism. Am just stating my take on it to illustrate why I''m a bit puzzled.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Deco, to answer your question, I think I brag about FI because it would feel weird to brag about myself! I can get away with telling people how smart or strong he is, but I would feel completely awkward telling people how smart and pretty I am
2.gif

I''m sure once I have kids I''ll brag about them more than FI. And I do brag about my pets, but they''re gerbils so most people aren''t that interested
3.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Deco, no offence taken here!

I "brag" about my BF because I know that talking about myself often elicits:
20.gif
(especially because nobody I know here can relate to my life) so it''s quite literally what I "brag" about. I talk him up because he''s a wonderful guy, and I got lucky.

If the question is truly what I''m most proud of:

I''m proud that I can move around the world and be comfortable. I''m proud that I am independent enough to not question my abilities to do *anything*. I will find a way to get it done. I''m proud that there are very few places in the world I would hesitate to go. Language barrier? I''ll find a way around it. Cultural barrier? I''ll learn to work within it. I''m cautious, but I know I can do it, so when the chance comes up, I jump at it.

I''m proud that I''m driven and goal-oriented, because I accomplish my goals. I just don''t accept that they can''t be accomplished. Sure, my dreams of going into space may never come true, but my goal of getting into a good business school will. I will make it happen.

But when I talk about the things I''m proud of (going to Paris for 5 days and not speaking a word of French, hanging out in Marrakech for 3 days, picking up and going to school half a world away from my family and friends), I can usually hear crickets chirp or get told, "Oh, I could *never* do that!" like I''m some kind of freak. So I brag about BF because most people can relate to having a relationship and being happy.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Hee hee, I don''t brag, I just carry my baby girl around with me and let her steal the show. She just loves attention and will smile and "talk" away at people. She''s my new favorite accessory.
2.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/1/2009 11:02:56 AM
Author: decodelighted
Ooooh this is a tricky one, because I don''t want to step on any toes ... but I''m intrigued that so many of my beloved PSers are ''bragging'' about someone *else*. Usually their DH or SO. Maybe its because I met my DH later in life, but I feel so independent from him, and he from me. I''m not responsible for any of his successes or for who he is as a person. (Guess you can thank him & his parents for that!)

Maybe I misread the original question to be more like ''what are you most proud of'' (as I don''t really outwardly ''brag'' about any of the things I mentioned -- but I also don''t ''brag'' about my DH or our relationship either).

Kids I understand more -- they''re from your loins and/or a direct product of your parenting efforts. You shape them from the beginning. They are, to some extent, a reflection on *you*. But people''s full grown spouses? Its kind of a happy bonus he''s awesome but I don''t claim ownership on his awesomeness. I''m delighted I had the good sense to snap him up when I found him, but that was so much luck & timing I can''t even get too pleased w/myself ''bout it.

** shrug **

I''d just like to understand where others are coming from ... PLEASE don''t interpret this as a criticism. Am just stating my take on it to illustrate why I''m a bit puzzled.
I know what you mean, Deco, and I kind of see it the same way as you do. I can''t say that I''d *brag* about my husband. I mean, yeah, I''d probably say the same type of things as other responses I''ve read, but I see that as more of a reason of why I love him. I don''t see that as bragging.

I mentioned something earlier in the thread, and come to think of it, I don''t think of that situation as bragging, either. I guess it''s more of an interesting story (I think), but again, I don''t really think of it as bragging.

Fleur_de_Lis

Shiny_Rock
Without a doubt, my amazing FI. I''m just so proud of him and all he''s accomplished and overcome in his life. Not to mention I love him more than anything in this world!
30.gif
9.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I probably brag about my niece entirely too much, but she''s the first baby in our family and she''s named after her mother and me. I don''t tend to really brag about myself too often, but if I do choose to verbalize my attributes it typically has to do with my sunny personality and ability to turn anything that comes my way into a positive.
9.gif

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock
a three year old munchkin named Troy
30.gif

sparkleshine10

Rough_Rock
my kids - they are my most precious things to me in life - ok plus dh!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Lost Sapphire''s mangle iron!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2009 5:19:33 PM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

No bragging--but I have ''heard'' I am very capable in the kitchen.
18.gif

cheers--Sharon
When I got married the 2nd time, my Grandmother (yes, my Grandmother) reminded me of the advice she had given me 1st time around, "Make sure you''re good in at least one room in the house". She followed it up with, "you might have more success this time if you forget the kitchen!"

Not that I''m bragging!

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/1/2009 11:20:26 PM
Author: Gailey
You can''t brag about MY mangle iron! Get one of your own!
9.gif

LS

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/1/2009 11:26:14 PM
Author: LostSapphire

9.gif

LS
I''m trying, dammit woman - give me a break! At least I''ve immortalised your blasted iron in this venerable thread!
And we Brits don''t brag easily you know/

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/1/2009 11:30:29 PM

9.gif

LS
I''m trying, dammit woman - give me a break! At least I''ve immortalised your blasted iron in this venerable thread!
My brag?

FOUR AND A HALF MINUTES!
31.gif

LS

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/1/2009 11:33:32 PM

9.gif

LS
My brag?

FOUR AND A HALF MINUTES!
31.gif

LS
Yes, that would be Mr Gailey''s claim to fame as well ........

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Gailey. ROFLMAO. Too funny.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy,

Which post are you laughing at?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
All of them. But mostly the one that told me more about Mr. Gailey and his stamina than I wanted to know.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t like to "brag" about anything-lol. But I do talk the most about my 16 and 14 year old daughters. I am really proud of them and their accomplishments. They are so much more "together" than I was at their ages. I guess I do brag about my four cats but only with cat people. They have such funny little personalities and do such amusing things.

HeartingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/1/2009 11:33:32 PM

9.gif

LS

My brag?

FOUR AND A HALF MINUTES!
31.gif

LS

WHOA, Gailey!!!

Now that deserves a whole thread of its own...That''s the stuff of legends in my book (or maybe my age group *sigh*)....

9.gif
9.gif
31.gif
31.gif

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/2/2009 12:16:18 AM
Author: Gypsy
All of them. But mostly the one that told me more about Mr. Gailey and his stamina than I wanted to know.
Cheeky, I was talking about the time it takes for Mr Gailey to iron a duvet cover - you know, like LS. What must you have been thinking?
littlebashfulguy.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/1/2009 11:23:41 PM

HI:

18.gif

cheers--Sharon
When I got married the 2nd time, my Grandmother (yes, my Grandmother) reminded me of the advice she had given me 1st time around, ''Make sure you''re good in at least one room in the house''. She followed it up with, ''you might have more success this time if you forget the kitchen!''

Not that I''m bragging!
HI:

Actually I edited my originall post....
31.gif
; b/c one would need corraboration on such a claim and I don''t think this thread is "meant" for that..... heh heh heh

cheers--Sharon

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/2/2009 10:17:03 AM

Date: 4/1/2009 11:23:41 PM

HI:

18.gif

cheers--Sharon
When I got married the 2nd time, my Grandmother (yes, my Grandmother) reminded me of the advice she had given me 1st time around, ''Make sure you''re good in at least one room in the house''. She followed it up with, ''you might have more success this time if you forget the kitchen!''

Not that I''m bragging!
HI:

Actually I edited my originall post....
31.gif
; b/c one would need corraboration on such a claim and I don''t think this thread is ''meant'' for that..... heh heh heh

cheers--Sharon
Do you think one needs corroboration for bragging rights? Hmm, dilema!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results