carat
color
clarity

The story of my ring's grading issue

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@TreeScientist

The irony is that Rutherford won his Nobel for Chemistry!

Physicists even break themselves into groups:
Experimentalists just like tinkering and explosions.
Theorists are too nerdy for much else.
Computational theorists are computers with legs.

I was an experimentalist; DH is still a computational physicist (HFT).

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@TreeScientist
Physicists even break themselves into groups:
Experimentalists just like tinkering and explosions.
Theorists are too nerdy for much else.
Computational theorists are computers with legs.

I believe those groupings and descriptions of said groups are universal to every field. Can confirm it is exactly the same for chemistry (yes, there are computational chemists).

I'm an experimental biochemist and yes, I'm only in it for the tinkering, explosions, and pretty-colored solutions.:mrgreen2:

Nice to meet another experimentalist! I'm getting tired of working with modelers haha.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I believe those groupings and descriptions of said groups are universal to every field. Can confirm it is exactly the same for chemistry (yes, there are computational chemists).

I'm an experimental biochemist and yes, I'm only in it for the tinkering, explosions, and pretty-colored solutions.:mrgreen2:

Nice to meet another experimentalist! I'm getting tired of working with modelers haha.
Yep they fit EE/EET and CS also as can fit any IT field.
Someone can also fit into more than one category.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I also find the recent overemphasis of such small differences annoying, or attacking a GIA 34.5/40.8 with a perfect ASET because "GIA rounding can be funky." Seriously? I think GIA was doing most people a favor so they don't get caught up in dissecting the light performance differences between a 56.1 and 56.5 table. o_O Obviously AGS giving the greater detail is preferred for PSers, especially if the diamond is right on one of those "cliffs" that Karl mentioned (like a 40.5 or 41.2 pavilion) where a tiny change could have a significant impact, but claiming that large differences in visual appearance are due to such minutiae in 2 well cut stones only serves to confuse a new buyer like @Julyisjuly.

GIA rounding bugs me if CA reads as 34.0 or 35.0 and we don’t have an IS or ASET to help in making a “final call”. Not as concerned if PA is rounded to 41.0 but if 41.2, then that’s when I get a little antsy. Again, IS and ASET ends up helping with the final call. For 34.5/40.6-40.8 that never bothers me but then I’m more concerned about viewing an actual image to get an idea about how symmetrical the stone looks optically, and of course IS and ASET.

Similarly, I don’t get that worked up about differences in table if they are within 54-57 (though I know others do) for a super ideal. Even for non super ideal regular GIA XXX or AGS Ideal, 54-57 table is not that much of a worry to me.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
GIA rounding bugs me if CA reads as 34.0 or 35.0 and we don’t have an IS or ASET to help in making a “final call”. Not as concerned if PA is rounded to 41.0 but if 41.2, then that’s when I get a little antsy. Again, IS and ASET ends up helping with the final call. For 34.5/40.6-40.8 that never bothers me but then I’m more concerned about viewing an actual image to get an idea about how symmetrical the stone looks optically, and of course IS and ASET.

Similarly, I don’t get that worked up about differences in table if they are within 54-57 (though I know others do) for a super ideal. Even for non super ideal regular GIA XXX or AGS Ideal, 54-57 table is not that much of a worry to me.

Absolutely true. I also hate that GIA will often round down 40.6 pavilion to 42.5%, causing a concern for obstruction. Read more here https://www.prosumerdiamonds.com/pavilion-depth-table/
This does not mean I can't find great GIA stones that outperform AGS stones, but it does take quite a bit of work to find such.

I'm definitely not one to believe all super ideals near Tolkowsky proportions look the same. I see differences in my own stone collection. People's level of visual acuity differ, and there are many women in my circle who can readily differentiate stone performance between ideal cut stones. It is true, that to most (especially outside PS), all stones look virtually the same as long as they're the same size, at least until their eyes develop later on. I have no doubt that the OP may have noticed a slight performance between the two stones. We weren't there and she moved across the room twirling her fingers at various angles, seeing it LIVE, and videos can't capture what you see in person. That's why it's so important to choose your stones in person. If you think all ACA (or any super-ideal brand) perform the same, you'd be very mistaken.

Obviously, if small differences don't matter, you wouldn't see comparison videos such as this. Ignore the brand comparison - it has to do with the cut proportions.
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...nfinity-wf-aca-and-james-allen-gia-3x.235609/

Julyisjuly

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone! Happy new year.
❤️️The day I went to WF store, I also saw another diamond in color I. I took pictures and videos for the 2.14 I, the 1.94G, and the other 2.28I. I was not thinking too much about that 2.28 I when I was in store since it's was on hold for someone else. But when i went home and showed the videos to the family. They think the 2.28I has more sparkle.
❤️️In person, the 2.14I looked slightly slightly whiter than the 2.28I. That's the reason I picked out 2.14I. Or maybe it's brighter, I can't distinguish the difference of "white" or "bright" you guys mentioned.

Today the 2.28I was released from previous hold and so I have it hold for me to think about it seriously now: Between the 2.28I vs 2.14I. Advise needed!!!
In terms of price, only 1k difference between the two I, both are cheaper than the 1.94G.
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4068031.htm
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4068032.htm

IMG_3266.PNG IMG_3267.PNG IMG_3286.JPG
IMG_3206.JPG
Attached videos here: The location is as same as the picture. My ring finger has 1.94G, the Middle finger has 2.28I on top and 2.14I on bottom.

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
Setting: I looked at these settings on WF website as well some styles they have in store, I didn't find a one that I 100% like. However, yesterday, I saw a nice 6 prong setting I like a lot on HPD website. I really like the six prongs setting, maybe consider do a plain platinum version without these pave diamonds. I can imagine both versions are absolutely gorgeous!!!
Question: Can I buy a stone from WF and have HPD do the setting? Will it be very complicated?
IMG_3287.PNG

Last edited:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone! Happy new year.
❤️️The day I went to WF store, I also saw another diamond in color I. I took pictures and videos for the 2.14 I, the 1.94G, and the other 2.28I. I was not thinking too much about that 2.28 I when I was in store since it's was on hold for someone else. But when i went home and showed the videos to the family. They think the 2.28I has more sparkle.
❤️️In person, the 2.14I looked slightly slightly whiter than the 2.28I. That's the reason I picked out 2.14I. Or maybe it's brighter, I can't distinguish the difference of "white" or "bright" you guys mentioned.

Today the 2.28I was released from previous hold and so I have it hold for me to think about it seriously now: Between the 2.28I vs 2.14I. Advise needed!!!
In terms of price, only 1k difference between the two I, both are cheaper than the 1.94G.

IMG_3266.PNG IMG_3267.PNG IMG_3286.JPG
IMG_3206.JPG
Attached videos here: The location is as same as the picture. My ring finger has 1.94G, the Middle finger has 2.28I on top and 2.14I on bottom.

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
Setting: I looked at these settings on WF website as well some styles they have in store, I didn't find a one that I 100% like. However, yesterday, I saw a nice 6 prong setting I like a lot on HPD website. I really like the six prongs setting, maybe consider do a plain platinum version without these pave diamonds. I can imagine both versions are absolutely gorgeous!!!
Question: Can I buy a stone from WF and have HPD do the setting? Will it be very complicated?
IMG_3287.PNG

I vote: 2.28 I

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
I vote: 2.28 I
me 2

Edit: Interestingly, I prefer the ASET image of the 2.14, but at least on the video, the 2.28 I looks the biggest, brightest, and most sparkly. However, this does not trump what you may have noticed IN PERSON at various angles including at tilt.

Last edited:

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
I was the one who released the hold on the 2.28! It looks like a gorgeous stone and the only reason I released was the price - it ended up being more than we would like to spend. Can’t wait to see photos of it completed if you end up getting it! Would love to see another PSer get it!

Julyisjuly

Shiny_Rock
I was the one who released the hold on the 2.28! It looks like a gorgeous stone and the only reason I released was the price - it ended up being more than we would like to spend. Can’t wait to see photos of it completed if you end up getting it! Would love to see another PSer get it!
Hi Kal,
Thanks for being so nice&kind to let me know. you definitely can find another similar specs in a slightly smaller size. Need to wait for more inventory after new year. This 2.28 is bigger and but it's not necessary. It doesn't look too different than the 2.14 or 1.94 in terms of size. If I could be more patient and wait longer, I would be very very satisfied with a rock around 2ct.

Julyisjuly

Shiny_Rock
me 2

Edit: Interestingly, I prefer the ASET image of the 2.14, but at least on the video, the 2.28 I looks the biggest, brightest, and most sparkly. However, this does not trump what you may have noticed IN PERSON at various angles including at tilt.
Thanks for your input, when you say Asset is better in 2.14, may I ask what does that mean?
A newbie here.

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Kal,
Thanks for being so nice&kind to let me know. you definitely can find another similar specs in a slightly smaller size. Need to wait for more inventory after new year. This 2.28 is bigger and but it's not necessary. It doesn't look too different than the 2.14 or 1.94 in terms of size. If I could be more patient and wait longer, I would be very very satisfied with a rock around 2ct.

Of course! I didn’t want you to think someone passed on it because of something undesirable!

Happy to hear that about the size!! I was thinking the same that it didn’t look too different in your photos from the other sizes. I have a 2.06 I SI1 on hold right now and am comparing to a 2.114 I SI1. I have a thread going. Lmk if you happened to see either stone there!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's weird. I prefer the 2.28 I in the pic, but in the video my eyes are more drawn to the 1.94 G. The G definitely looks whiter - if the video is a more accurate representation. I find that sometimes, my diamonds look darker in pics than in videos, for some reason.

Both are bright. If colour is more important, I'd pick the 1.94 G; but if size is more important then the 2.28 I.

Julyisjuly

Shiny_Rock
Of course! I didn’t want you to think someone passed on it because of something undesirable!

Happy to hear that about the size!! I was thinking the same that it didn’t look too different in your photos from the other sizes. I have a 2.06 I SI1 on hold right now and am comparing to a 2.114 I SI1. I have a thread going. Lmk if you happened to see either stone there!
Nice. Glad to hear that! I didn't see these two in person. But same as you, I feel 2-2.1ct range are good enough in terms of size!
No big difference especially you only wear one on finger.

Julyisjuly

Shiny_Rock
I prefer the 2.28 I. I am weird as I think the 1.94 has the most tint!! Though still white.
That's why I returned that one 1.94G.
Cost more than the I color and I can't see color being significant whiter. No worthy the $. Though it does have a fantastic cut.

Tophat1

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
2.28!!

Show WF the setting you like. I’m sure they have something similar. They can order anything from the designers but probably didn’t have a sample in stock. The pic you posted reminds me of a Vatche

sp3

Rough_Rock
All three are WF ACA, so I’m confident that they all look amazing. But if one has to split hair, my understanding is that optical symmetry can be judged by the heart pattern. From the images provided by WF, my ranking from worse to best for optical symmetry is I 2.14 < I 2.28 << G 1.94 that you have returned. But then I’m just an amateur.

Julyisjuly

Shiny_Rock
@cflutist Has the HPD setting you posted above. She also had the Vatche that is similar.
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...onie-ring-with-2-793-f-vs1-cbi-diamond.234765
WF might be able to order the Vatche version or custom make the setting.
Wow! The style is designed by @cflutist, amazing!! Its so phenomenal! It is much better than the Vatche design based on her picture posted in her original post. The beautiful flow of the crossing is just breath taking. I looked a lot of styles on WF website and saw a lot in store as well, never find one I like so much. Simple and Elegant.
The polish and prongs from the HPD is better than the Vatche setting. I may want one in plain platinum, depends on how much it costs. Thank you @cflutist, coming up with a such beautiful design.
20171011_profile-jpg.597318

Julyisjuly

Shiny_Rock

IMG_3266.PNG IMG_3267.PNG
Hi everyone, any thoughts on these two I color from HPD? Better or worse than these two Is from WF?
https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD10333
https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD10451
Let's see whether I am learning anything so far.....

First one from HPD: 2.11-I
the ASET doesn't look symmetrical, especially the bottom part. So not ideal?
upload_2018-12-31_23-43-59.png
upload_2018-12-31_23-33-13.png

Second stone: 2.01-I
The circled parts is not ideal?
upload_2018-12-31_23-41-47.png
upload_2018-12-31_23-35-26.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-31_23-32-21.png
    upload_2018-12-31_23-32-21.png
    241 KB · Views: 16
  • upload_2018-12-31_23-34-43.png
    upload_2018-12-31_23-34-43.png