shape
carat
color
clarity

The search is on! Finding an inexpensive antique ring.

DominaMusica

Rough_Rock
Oh, how beautiful! Please post pictures when it arrives! I'm looking for the same kind of ring. Yours is gorgeous, congratulations!

alyssak

Rough_Rock
Hi!

I was about to come and post when I realized I missed a lot of replies to my thread.

Bastetcat, thank you for your advice! I adore the sapphire ring in your post. How old is it and where did you find it?

Julienyc, Thank you!

GemFever, is that your emerald ring? That's one of my favorite rings, ever!

DominaMusica, thank you!

I can't post handshots because the ring hasn't been delivered yet. It was shipped on March 4 from the UK, so when should I expect it? How would I know if it's in customs?

Second, I"m having some second thoughts. I know I haven't seen the ring yet, but I'm feeling under pressure to make sure it's really the ring because of the return policy deadline. I haven't been able to see many older rings in person, and the ones that I have liked have all been Victorian (or at least from 1910 and earlier). There's just something about those rings that makes my heart sing. The ring that I've bought is supposedly from 1920. I know in very few other people's minds would that be "too new"....but I'm concerned my ring won't be old enough for me and I'll always be looking for that older ring.

I did go to a local store and tried on a lovely Victorian almandine garnet ring, and my favorite - an 1830 pink foiled crystal ring which was inexpensive and totally impractical since I couldn't wear it, basically, ever, because I wouldn't be able to wash my hands. I still want to buy it in my dreams though! It was only 425.

There's another ring that I saw a while ago that I didn't consider because of price, and because the band was small and quite thin - I think that the shank would probably have to be rebuilt. But our budget has crept up. I'm still thinking of calling the vendor and seeing if they still have it. Here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ0gI7oQb9k&feature=youtu.be.

Sorry it's so shaky. I don't even know if that ring exists, but my fiance likes it better (I think), and it hits a lot of sweet spots - older, lots of finger coverage (things with wider bands look better on my finger), sparkly, ornate, more yellow gold on the finger. I didn't get a good sense of how the diamonds were, but they offer a lot of coverage! I think the quoted price was 1100, but I got the sense that they could negotiate.

What do you think about that option? Obviously, I haven't even received the ring yet so I am completely open to falling in love with it, I just want to make sure I'm making the right choice.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Alyssa,

Yup, I was talking about my emerald ring. I still haven't gotten it sized or worn it even once... :blackeye: Gotta get around to it.

In terms of the ring you're waiting for... I'd give it two weeks, if not three, to arrive before getting worried. That's why I prefer to buy in the US -- I can't stand waiting for things to arrive! I mean, I love the anticipation, but I can't take three weeks of anticipation :cheeky:

To return or not to return... tough one. If you're already thinking you may not be happy with it, that's something to consider. But I'd give it a chance, maybe it will wow you on your finger. Btw, doesn't the return period start from the moment you receive it? How many days do you have? I'd give it at least one evening, one night of sleep, and one full day of daylight and activities in various environments before you make up your mind. Good luck!

alyssak

Rough_Rock
Thanks! I do hope you can wear your ring! I didn't realize that they thought it wasn't easily restorable.

Yes, it's only been 10 days since it was shipped. Ebay "estimates" keep telling me it should be here but I know that's probably not true!
The return policy is 7 days, so I am worried I need to explore all my options before then. And the wait is driving me a bit crazy too!

Can you tell me what you honestly think about the ring on the youtube link? I really trust your eye and judgement. I know you won't be able to tell about the diamonds, but about the overall look? It's too bad I didn't take a still photo.

I'm definitely going to take my time with the ring, and I found a jeweler (on here) who will look at it, make sure it's in good enough shape, and resize it for me if I keep it.

I just wonder how all those amazing emerald rings survived until now. Did people never wear them except on very formal occasions?

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
alyssak,

Hope your ring gets here soon and you love it.

I watched the video and that ring doesn't do anything for me (but I'm working on a netbook while riding down the road so not the best video watching conditions).

What about the similar ring at JbEG? Actually, there are two on the first page, but I'm not sure what your budget is now.

liz

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I like the ring in the video, but more for an RHR style, not primary engagement ring. There is something about 2-stone rings that throws me off... I like odd numbers in rings. And I think odd numbers are more customary -- 3-stone, 5-stone. But that's purely personal preference, and the ring is very pretty. If that ring spoke to you, then that's that! But if you have doubts, check out as many other options as you can.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
alyssak|1363373435|3405710 said:
Hi!

I was about to come and post when I realized I missed a lot of replies to my thread.

Bastetcat, thank you for your advice! I adore the sapphire ring in your post. How old is it and where did you find it?

Julienyc, Thank you!

GemFever, is that your emerald ring? That's one of my favorite rings, ever!

DominaMusica, thank you!

I can't post handshots because the ring hasn't been delivered yet. It was shipped on March 4 from the UK, so when should I expect it? How would I know if it's in customs?

Second, I"m having some second thoughts. I know I haven't seen the ring yet, but I'm feeling under pressure to make sure it's really the ring because of the return policy deadline. I haven't been able to see many older rings in person, and the ones that I have liked have all been Victorian (or at least from 1910 and earlier). There's just something about those rings that makes my heart sing. The ring that I've bought is supposedly from 1920. I know in very few other people's minds would that be "too new"....but I'm concerned my ring won't be old enough for me and I'll always be looking for that older ring.

I did go to a local store and tried on a lovely Victorian almandine garnet ring, and my favorite - an 1830 pink foiled crystal ring which was inexpensive and totally impractical since I couldn't wear it, basically, ever, because I wouldn't be able to wash my hands. I still want to buy it in my dreams though! It was only 425.

There's another ring that I saw a while ago that I didn't consider because of price, and because the band was small and quite thin - I think that the shank would probably have to be rebuilt. But our budget has crept up. I'm still thinking of calling the vendor and seeing if they still have it. Here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ0gI7oQb9k&feature=youtu.be.

Sorry it's so shaky. I don't even know if that ring exists, but my fiance likes it better (I think), and it hits a lot of sweet spots - older, lots of finger coverage (things with wider bands look better on my finger), sparkly, ornate, more yellow gold on the finger. I didn't get a good sense of how the diamonds were, but they offer a lot of coverage! I think the quoted price was 1100, but I got the sense that they could negotiate.

What do you think about that option? Obviously, I haven't even received the ring yet so I am completely open to falling in love with it, I just want to make sure I'm making the right choice.

hi Alyssa!

I'm sorry it hasn't arrived yet. I am curious as to why it took so long for them to mail it out? The auction ended in Feb. Did they do the resizing on it? If it was only mailed on Mar 4th, I'd give it at least another week. There are a few thing you can do from your end and they from theirs. I think the post office has internal tracking capabilities and there should be some sort of customs number when it got mailed. Was it mailed with Intl Signature info? I know when mailing First class Intl from the US now, they've changed thing so I think everything has tracking now and even before that I could partially track things with the Customs Form number. When I do, I just go to one of the PO's I go to where people are nice, and I am super nice about asking them if they can research it.

As for the ring, it's so easy ot second guess yourself. Try just to look at the ring itself and not how old you think it is. It looks very typical Victorian in styling, as opposed to what I think of as typical Art Deco. I think Art Deco tends to be a catch all for "old" for some. Those type of cluster rings were very very popular in Victorian times. My Sapphire ring is very early Victorian, the best guess from the jeweler (who specializes in Georgian Era Jewelry) was that it was "too late" a style than he normally deals in and so estimated early to mid 1800's. So even if it was made a couple of decades later, it's still very much in the Victorian vein, and you're unlikely to find that kind of workmanship now, which is one of the things that bothered you about modern pieces.

The main problem you are going to find with rings that are really really old is the diamonds are going to more often be rose cut, because they didn't really start doing a lot of full cuts till towards the end of the century, I think. And before that time, you are going to see a LOT of paste, and paste has special needs. Not at all suitable for an everyday ring and I wouldn't advise it. I personally think you have the best of both worlds. You got a Victorian style ring with old world craftmanship, but with full cut stones. Very nice.

If you're having second thoughts because your budget is higher now, that is another story.

alyssak

Rough_Rock
Everyone, thank you so much for your support!!! It has helped me so much.

The good news: it has arrived! And, I adore it. I have tried to look at as many antique rings as I could before the ring arrived, and I can honestly say it's one of the prettiest I've seen. The diamonds seem really white (though I don't care that much about that so I could be wrong), the workmanship is super delicate like I wanted, there is tiny milgrain, and it has a lovely combination of platinum (topped) and yellow gold. It's a really good size on my finger. Best of all, it's incredibly sparkly in all lighting conditions, much more so than I expected. And much more so than a lot of antique rings I've seen. I'm not a flashy person so I don't need a huge ring, I think this is just the right size.

The bad (?) news: There are two major things wrong with the ring. The first I suspected from the pics, but I couldn't see how bad it was - the center part of the ring (the diamond in bezel) is definitely askew, making the airline uneven. It's very visible when worn.

The second thing I discovered today while looking at it through a loupe - there is a significant chip on the center diamond. I couldn't tell much about the other diamonds, I looked at it really quickly. I was at an antique jewelry store (wanted to see if there was anything else before the return period is over), and the manager told me that it seemed structurally sound, that she wouldn't try to change the placement of the center stone, and that it was sturdy and wearable. However, she missed the chip before I saw it.

She also told me she thought it was older than 1920, maybe around 1880 - 1890?

So, I love the ring and I want to keep it, but I'm concerned about the structural stability of the center stone (which looks like a lovely OEC other than the chip). I am hoping to take it to Jeff Averbook this week to see about resizing and making sure that it's sound enough for daily wear. I am really worried about the chip.

I will post pictures once I can figure out how to do so with the equipment I have! I can't find my loupe but would love to try to show pics of the chip.

Bastetcat, thank you for your kind words! I was definitely second guessing myself out of anxiety. I also was feeling a lot of pressure to decide once I saw it. It's been a struggle to see a lot of antique rings (in fact, I've only tried on one other ring in this particular style) and I know my ideas of what I wanted have changed over time. But that all went away when I saw the ring in person! I'm still shocked at how pretty it is.

I'm also glad to hear your appraisal of the age of the ring. I was really hoping for an antique ring, and I was also hoping for something that was Edwardian or thereabouts, if I couldn't get something Georgian (which is really impractical for daily wear). Somehow I used to think that certain types of workmanship really peaked in Edwardian times - and you can really see this in the gold rings topped with platinum that arise in that time. Of course, I'm saying this only from looking online. I now have seen so many lovely earlier rings, too. But overall I think so much early workmanship is better than contemporary workmanship now. Do you know why that is? What did they do differently?

Liz and Gemfever, thank you so much for your support! Thoughts of that other ring have disappeared out the window!

alyssak

Rough_Rock
And, Bastetcat, I'd love to know who your jeweler is who specializes in Georgian jewels! That is, if it's not secret and for whenever I'm going to make my next big purchase (a while from now!).

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
alyssak|1363482802|3406770 said:
And, Bastetcat, I'd love to know who your jeweler is who specializes in Georgian jewels! That is, if it's not secret and for whenever I'm going to make my next big purchase (a while from now!).

No problem- It's Bell and Bird. I can't get it to come up right now. Most things are well out of my budget, but Sirus is so enthusiastic and fun to go talk to. He does some restoration work on pieces and has a laser welder handy. He worked on one of my rings that had enamel and gold because there was no way to size it via regular methods.

https://www.bellandbird.com/

I'm so glad it arrived and so glad you like it! It's the anticipation that gets you, I know! Don't forget to pick up a tiny spacer for that lovely! You definitely want to keep it in shape.

Regarding the chip, I'll have to go back and reread where it is, but Gemfever had one just a few weeks ago that she was selling and it had a chip and the jeweler said it was fine. You might have it double checked to make sure that's the case with yours and if a jeweler or appraiser say so, I'd just leave it be for now. And as for the wonk on the bezel, I tend to think it's just part of having really old pieces like this where everything about it is 100+ years old. Mine has some wonk as well (in a different direction) and I just look at it as some additional "charm".

alyssak

Rough_Rock
Oh yes, I've looked at Bell and Bird's website! Can't afford anything there, but what they have is so beautiful. That's so exciting that you've been able to go there in person.

The chip looks pretty major, like a shark took a huge bite out of a crown facet. If I can just leave it I will, but it does reduce the value of the ring, right? I can't see it with the naked eye, yet, but it's definitely a big chunk.

Hypothetically, also, would it even be possible to adjust the central diamond and bezel within the airline? I'm sure I won't touch it, just interested to know if it could be done. The woman today said that it "had some work done" on it but didn't tell me what kind.

Also, I need to have this resized down, should I be looking for someone with a laser welder to do it (It just sounds cool, and I guess it's literally cool?).

I would love to see your enamel ring. Do you have a post about it?

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
alyssak|1363486340|3406815 said:
Oh yes, I've looked at Bell and Bird's website! Can't afford anything there, but what they have is so beautiful. That's so exciting that you've been able to go there in person.

The chip looks pretty major, like a shark took a huge bite out of a crown facet. If I can just leave it I will, but it does reduce the value of the ring, right? I can't see it with the naked eye, yet, but it's definitely a big chunk.

Hypothetically, also, would it even be possible to adjust the central diamond and bezel within the airline? I'm sure I won't touch it, just interested to know if it could be done. The woman today said that it "had some work done" on it but didn't tell me what kind.

Also, I need to have this resized down, should I be looking for someone with a laser welder to do it (It just sounds cool, and I guess it's literally cool?).

I would love to see your enamel ring. Do you have a post about it?

You might research some jewelers in your area and see what available. There's no patina on it that I can see, so probably it coule be worked on, but I am no expert at all! I do know on the sapphire ring, I had it sized and I don't think it was lasered, but i asked them to leave the patina alone because a lot of jewelers will take it off and it has some fantastic metallic purple patina on it.

If you can't see the chip without a loupe, I'd ask first before getting too much anxiety over it. Everything looks worse under the loupe. I'd still have it double checked by a pro, but if they say it's ok, I'd probably not mess with it. It's bezel set and at the very least if it could be lightly polished they'd probably have to remove it from the bezel, and I tend to feel like you really don't want to mess with antiques unless necessary.

My enamel ring is from the 50-60's and is the floral looking one in the pic:

antiques1.jpg

alyssak

Rough_Rock
I'm glad you were able to leave some patina on your ring! It's lovely.

I hope to have it looked at this Wednesday. I think the chip is really large. And I really, really want to keep the ring!

I was reading this thread: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/transition-cut-pretty-but-chipped-keep-or-return.106821/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/transition-cut-pretty-but-chipped-keep-or-return.106821/[/URL]
and the chip is much larger than that. I agree with what you are saying about removing it from the bezel, that that's not practical. I guess I'll know more on Wednesday.

I wish I had known this going into bidding, though. I also wish I could take some close up pics! I will try to do so and post them. Now that I look at I think I can sort of see it with the naked eye, but I'm trying not to look too hard. :)

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Oh Alyssa! You are in a tough spot! I'm sorry!

I did go back and look at the auction details on my iphone so I could zoom a little better and I think I see what you mean (maybe). I'd definitely have it checked out. There is nothing in the description that says there's a chip, but is it near the bezel at all?

In your shoes, I'd probably write the seller and tell them about the chip. Also that you are going to have someone look at it. Then I guess you have to decide whether to haggle or return it depending on how that goes. If a jeweler comes back and says it's no problem, you'll have to decide whether it's something you can live with or if you want to look again. If you do decide to keep it, what I would do is ask for a partial refund then put that aside in case you need to save up for something else.

alyssak

Rough_Rock
Bastetcat, thanks for your sympathy. Yes, it is near the bezel. It's rather big. Maybe I"m exaggerating, but when I saw it it looked like 1/5 of the diamond was chopped off. I'm going to see if I can take a close up photo. The seller's photos aren't really that close. I tried with my iphone but it's hard, I have to get out my dslr.

The center bezel being misaligned is quite obvious and I can post photos about that, but that won't affect the wearability of the ring, although it might bother me. It's the structural integrity of the ring I worry about.

I will write to the seller, and I'll have it checked out.

Is it okay to ask for a partial refund? If the condition is as bad as I think I think it's warranted, but I want to make sure that it's okay by ebay's rules (I know they are changing) and also, I feel a bit weird asking to do this about an ering.

I honestly really really want to just keep the ring if I can. I hope it turns out okay.

alyssak

Rough_Rock
oh, also, I meant to say that there is a return policy, which runs out soon, so I could return it. The problem is I don't want to!

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
The person in that thread you linked to did, and got it too. But I would probably wait until you hear what the appraiser says before talking partial refund. I would immediately write though and say it has a chip and that you are having that looked at and so may need to return it. If it comes back as structurally ok, and you decide to keep it, then I'd probably come back with a partial refund request. But read through that thread and see what the other person did. It may give you some ideas on how to handle this.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm sorry to hear about the chip. I can't see it from the ebay pics.

If I were making the decision, I would return the ring. A chip on the main diamond is no small thing. I once kept a diamond with a pretty big chip, but that's because it was a 1.3ct lovely OEC that I got for $2K. For that price, I could overlook the chip -- which was small enough that it could be covered in a bezel setting.

The ring you got is a classic style, I think you will be able to find another like it. It's hard to let go something beautiful when you already have it in your hands, but I think if you try to fix the chip, you will end up paying much more... and how would you get the stone out of the bezel? That would already disturb the antique and authentic nature of the piece.

But, that's just what I would do. Maybe the chip really isn't that big? Certainly when you say it's 1/5th of the stone is sounds huge, but if you can't see it with the naked eye... I don't envy the tough decision you have to make!

ETA: A partial refund sounds like a very fair thing to ask for! I'd try to get some good pics of the chip first. Good luck with it!

alyssak

Rough_Rock
Bastetcat, Gemfever, thank you both so much for your help.

At this point I've been looking for a ring like this in a reasonable size and in my price range for months. Although I know it's a common style, I haven't seen too many with the airline, which reminds me of the first ring I wanted to buy for myself and didn't (an amazing openwork coral and sapphire deco target ring). I've seen a lot of similar rings, for a lot of high prices, and very few with the airline which I think makes the ring less twee and more delicate. I'm also really picky about the way the metal is around the stones, more so than about the stones themselves - this one is so light compared to others I've seen. Okay, I'll stop whining now!

Gemfever, I think your path of action is wise, but I don't know if I can follow it. I'd really like to just keep it as is. I wouldn't plan on actually fixing the chip if I could avoid it. I can't imagine how much it would cost to fix that and reset the bezel - and the work just wouldn't be the same. I don't know if I have it in me to wait another 4 - 6 months, or a year, for a ring to pop up in my price range.

I will follow your advice and write to the seller, and I'm trying to get into see Jeff Averbook asap to take a look at it. I'll keep everyone updated! I can't believe there's another saga, but I guess that comes along with buying antiques. Thank you again for your patience. I will also try to get some good pics of it (not sure how to do that!).

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
alyssak,

The lower-priced JbEG ring has a gorgeous gallery and would probably look pretty substantial on your hand without being clunky.

liz

alyssak

Rough_Rock
Liz. thanks. Someone said in another thread that they found JbEG's pics a bit hard to parse and I find it to be true also. Maybe if I had a handshot? The ring unfortunately does look clunky to me, and set higher off the finger than I would like, but that could just be the photos I love the delicate milgrain of the ring I have, the defined petals, and the airline (as completely wonky as it is). But, I do agree that ring would likely look very substantial on one's hand.

alyssak

Rough_Rock
Liz, I was looking at your other thread (with the 5 stone ring) to see how the pics compared to real life. I still think the JbEG ring is clunky, but your thread was really helpful to me in seeing the comparison between online pics and real life! Thank you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results