shape
carat
color
clarity

The search for my Cushion is finally over!! (with pics!)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rock_of_Love

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/17/2009 12:26:44 PM
Author: vgirl17
Here''s one that shows the milgrain around the pink sapphire
7.gif
along with uneven milgrain.
I see what you mean. The pic from this post that shows the sideview looks to me to be a little uneven, too. The sides that go up to the halo look to be different sizes/widths/thicknesses...know what I mean? Maybe that is the uneven milgrain you are talking about.

I''m so sorry, because it is so difficult...what do you do now?? And, I know what you mean about being a perfectionist...I would be the same way. Even if no one else noticed, I know I would.

Gosh - I wish you so much luck on this one.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Sorry your ring didn''t turn out like you''d hoped. I know how disappointing that could be, and how awkward it is trying to tell your jeweler he didn''t do a good job.
32.gif

On the other hand, I do think you''ve got a gorgeous ring. I love the pink sapphire surprises given that he proposed to you with a pink sapphire. What a great reason to throw some color in there!

MrsChil

Shiny_Rock
Dmitri - Thanks :) I do love the look of the ring on my fnger. I just wish the details were perfect so I could truly enjoy it. I know the lack of quality detail will really bug me. This is a VERY important ring to me and my fiance and I just want it to be PERFECT. Ya know? I think I will have to have it reset. I guess I''ll see what my options are once we meet this Saturday.

Rock of Love - Yeah, that''s one of the things I noticed too. One side looks thinner than the other and the milgrain is heavy on one side and light on the other. Not to mention some of the milgrain edges look ''pointy'' or ''knife edge like'' to me if that makes any sense? I don''t think I can live with it like this for too long so I guess we''ll have to wait and see what he says on Saturday. You sounds like me, anyone else would probably be happy with this ring but not me... the beauty is in all of the details for me also so it will never be perfect. It''s so dissappointing because we spent so much time finding the perfect stone and spent so much money to have the perfect ring for me to wear FOREVER. Thanks for your well wishes :)

MrsChil

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Kelly :) We really loved being able to add this little surprise in there and it means so much to us :) I know! How do you tell a jeweler his work is not up to your standards without sounding like a total picky b*$@!???? But we spent a lot of money on this ring and I want to be 100% satisfied. I''m anxious to see what happens. I''ll definately let you all know how it goes down.

MrsChil

Shiny_Rock
Well we''re off to the jewelers tomorrow to talk about what can be done about the setting. In the meantime I wanted to post a flower pic of my beautiful diamond! :)

IMG_2731Cropped.JPG

MrsChil

Shiny_Rock
Here''s the hand shot. Ring Size 6.75 :)

IMG_2740Cropped.JPG

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
It''s stunning!!! Soooooo sparkly!!
30.gif
36.gif

MrsChil

Shiny_Rock
Well my jeweler was really great about the whole thing. He agreed to give us a full refund for the setting since we weren''t happy with it and really didn''t want to go through having it fixed and reset! We offered to pay him for the labor but he wouldn''t hear of it. He said he just wanted us to be happy :) So, here is an updated picture of my cushion in a temp setting until we decide what we''re going to do about a new setting. I''ll post some more new pics in SMTR if anyone is interested.

IMG_2822cropped.JPG

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I'm so happy for you, Vgirl!!! Im glad things worked out, and that your jeweler was great about the whole thing....Now you can find the setting of your dreams!!! What do you think you will do??? I have to say, this temporary setting really makes your stone pop and shows off its true chunkiness!!! Love it!!!
30.gif

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/28/2009 12:39:24 AM
Author: vgirl17
Well my jeweler was really great about the whole thing. He agreed to give us a full refund for the setting since we weren''t happy with it and really didn''t want to go through having it fixed and reset! We offered to pay him for the labor but he wouldn''t hear of it. He said he just wanted us to be happy :) So, here is an updated picture of my cushion in a temp setting until we decide what we''re going to do about a new setting. I''ll post some more new pics in SMTR if anyone is interested.
36.gif
...I was so afraid there was going to be more drama! Maybe he wasnt happy with it either. So glad he understood and refunded your money! BTW - your stone
looks beautiful in its temp setting!

SYC

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful!

girlie-girl

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry to hear of your struggles with the halo setting. I too am a perfectionist and know things like that would drive me nutso even if no one else could see what I was talking about. I'm happy to hear your jeweler is being so great.

As far as the temporary setting. I absolutely adore it.
30.gif
I know you are probably wanting the look of the halo with all the extra bling on the shank, but that cushion set as a solitaire is gorgeous! She really shows her beauty and to me is much prettier standing alone, not to mention she looks much bigger! You could always get a blingy wedding band to go with it for the added sparkle if it's too plain. Do you think you'll proceed with another halo or have your desires changed with this whole experience?

Keep us posted!
35.gif

IMG_2822cropped.JPG

SYC

Shiny_Rock
Sorry should have clarified -- beautiful stone, and glad to hear it will be fixed up to your liking!

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
vgirl - I''m so happy to hear that your jeweler was able to work out a solution for your beautiful cushion. I agree with girlie-girl - it looks fantastic and bigger in its temp setting.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good move on your jeweler''s part. I''d recommend using Maytal Hannah. You can see in her close up shots that she is a perfectionist. However, with ALL handmade jewelry including Tiffany and other high end designers, there is likely to be some imperfections. You just have to choose a designer that you know normally does outstanding work.

http://www.maytalhannah.com/

gummibear

Shiny_Rock
Hi vgirl! I''m so glad your jeweler was so nice about returning the setting and that now you can get one that you truly love.

Your diamond is gorgeous...I can''t wait to see what you do with it and in the meantime your stone in the temp setting is really beautiful!!!!
30.gif

Rock_of_Love

Brilliant_Rock
Yay! I''m so happy for you that everything is working out. Sounds like your jeweler was really great about it...that is so refreshing to hear!

I think your solitaire setting looks gorgeous. It really highlights that beautiful diamond of yours. I''m going to venture over to SMTR...I hope you''ve posted more pics!!!

I agree with the other folks, too. If you are going to go with something similar to your original setting again, look into Maytal Hannah. Her work is similar and I''ve read that it is spectacular. Very detail oriented.

Congrats!

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
Glad you took that bold step and went to the jeweler''s. Shoddy workmanship in an important piece like an e-ring should never be tolerated. But this experience would put you in good stead when contemplating future jewelery designs/purchases.
26.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can you ask them if they carry or can get Vatche? Your design is almost identical to the Vatche Princess Grace setting. I would get you a Vatche setting and send your stone to Vatche to have them set it (they will do the prongs right). Vatche shows that setting with a round center. But will make it for a cushion AND I'm sure they can work something out with the pink sapphires.

Custom can be hard. If at all possible I'd go with a stock setting from a designer line (maybe with a little tweak like the added sapphires). Wink carries Vatche BTW.

You have a good jeweler who handled a difficult situation with much grace.

Who did you use, if I can ask?

Vatche%20Princess%20Grace1.jpg

MrsChil

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone for your wonderful comments and support! My jeweler was really great about the whole thing. He did an amazing job finding us our stone (within our budget) so I do want to give him props for that and he really does care about his customers. Anyway, I''m on my way out right now but I will respond to everyone when I get home :) Thanks!!!

MrsChil

Shiny_Rock
I''m back :)

Dani - Thanks! :) We were actually debating between the milgrain before so I think this time around we''ll do without it completely.

tyty - I know! I was afraid of that too but he was really great about the whole thing. I love it in the new setting too :) I''m glad I get to see it by itself for a little while before we put it in it''s permanent home.

Syc - Thanks!

Girlie girl - I do love the bling
30.gif
30.gif
and I do love the halo around it but I just want it to be a little more dainty. I think if we leave off the milgrain and maybe have the halo prong set it will achieve the look I wanted in the first place. Hopefully project 2 turns out like I hope :) I will definitley keep you posted on the upcoming changes.

pixley - I adore your chunky cushion! I wanted to hold out for something just like it but just fell in love with mine when I saw it and how crazy it sparkled :)

DiamondSeeker - I do love Maytal''s work. I''ll have to look into that. We have a couple of options that we''re exploring right now. I knew not to expect a custom ring to be absolutely perfect, however there were just too many obvious things to overlook.

gummibear - Yes I am so excited! Thank you! :)

Rock of Love - He is a really a great guy. I''m sorry we had to take the ring back but we really didn''t have any other choice. I couldn''t see paying that much money for something so important that I wasn''t completely happy with. I''m just glad it all worked out better than I had hoped. I honestly didn''t know what was going to happen when we went back.

Diamondflame - That''s what we thought too. This ring is SO IMPORTANT to us that we didn''t want to settle for anything less than amazing.

Gypsy - Wow, I wish I would have known that the Vatche ring was so similar! The only thing different is that we wanted a three-sided band. I think this time we''ll go with a prong set halo instead but I still want to keep the surprise sapphires on the sides :) I was thinking the same thing about trying to find a stock setting. Now that I have the cushion in a temp setting I have time to seach for something perfect :) He is a great guy and got us a great deal on our cushion. His name is Rafi Chabo and he has a shop at the Gift Center in San Francisco (Chabo''s). Many people have had wonderful experiences with him (per Yelp reviews) and if you''re in the market for a loose diamond he will be able to find you a beautiful one and give you a great deal. He got us our cushion (the exact one) for over $500 less than what Blue Nile had it listed for so he is pretty competitive with Internet pricing and he knows his stuff.

MrsChil

Shiny_Rock
Just a quick update - We have gotten our complete refund from our jeweler and are starting on our new project!!!! This time we are keeping it a little more simple. No milgrain, no 3-sided. Just a halo with 1.2 mm melee and the shank will have 1.8 mm melee. We''re still doing the surprise pink sapphires too so hopefully it will all turn out beautifully :) Cross your fingers for me! It should be finished within the next week or two and I can''t wait to see it! :)

peaches

Shiny_Rock
Trade
You definitely shouldn''t have to settle for something you''re unhappy with and I''m glad your jeweler saw it that way, too! I was afraid there might be drama involved in getting your money back but it sounds like everything was totally smooth.
21.gif

Can''t wait till to see the final setting. It sounds like it will be beautiful!!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I hope the second remake turns out better! We want what we want and you deserve symmetry darn it!

I find most people on pricescope are perfectionist so you are right at home!

MrsChil

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Peaches and Charmypoo!!!! There was no drama thank goodness. He''s a really great jeweler and got us a great deal on our diamond so I was sorry that the ring didn''t turn out as great as we had hoped. He was a complete professional the entire time and really did go above and beyond by giving us a full refund. But like CharmyPoo said "We want what we want! and I deserve symmetry darn it!!!" LOL! The jeweler that we are working with now is very detail-oriented so I''m hoping he comes a little closer to what we want.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results