shape
carat
color
clarity

The Running Thread

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
Beachrunner - the thing is, when you increase your speed, you obviously cover more miles in the same amount of time! For the longest, my training pace was around 9:15 per mile or so. For the past two weeks, I a down to less than 7:30 per mile on a 6+ mile run. Woot Woot! And I am about to turn 50 in a couple of months!!! :D

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
ImpatientOne said:
Beachrunner - the thing is, when you increase your speed, you obviously cover more miles in the same amount of time! For the longest, my training pace was around 9:15 per mile or so. For the past two weeks, I a down to less than 7:30 per mile on a 6+ mile run. Woot Woot! And I am about to turn 50 in a couple of months!!! :D

Imp...by a couple, do you mean a few hundred? I just scrolled back up and checked out your gold medal pic, and you look nowhere NEAR 50!!! Congrats on improving your pace by so much, that's AWESOME! :appl:

Thanks for the congrats, everyone. The ATM is my favorite race of all time, so I HAD to do it...and I'm so glad I did!

DF...welcome back to running world!

Dreamer...feeling any better?

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
vc10um said:
Imp...by a couple, do you mean a few hundred? I just scrolled back up and checked out your gold medal pic, and you look nowhere NEAR 50!!! Congrats on improving your pace by so much, that's AWESOME! :appl:

Thanks, VC! Yep, 50 in February. Not happy about the big 5-0, but I do joke about moving up to the next age category when I race. Not a lot of local runners in my age category can run too fast!

ysj99

Shiny_Rock
Wow, I'm so glad I ran across this thread! I'm not a fast runner by any means, but I do it for the health benefits.

I've done many 5k's before and enjoyed them. When running, I always felt like I couldn't over that mental 5k "wall." Then I started going with DH on his weekend long runs and surprised myself by going 6, then 7 miles! I'm doing my first 10k next month and now I feel like a half marathon is in my reach! My goal is to do a half marathon in 2011.

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
That's great, ysj99! Seems like a lot of people reach for the 1/2 marathons. I'm good with the 5k's and 10k's for now!

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Hey runners!

Welcome ysj99! Congrats on your upcoming 10k! I've never raced a 10k myself! Good luck with training for a half in 2011!

Imp- You look wonderful! You're speedy too, whew! I've never ran under 8min/miles so I don't think. Do you do scheduled interval training to increase speed? I read that the half marathon is the number one growing race out there! It does seem like many people aim for that distance. I've read twice in a couple days that ~500,000 people completed the marathon in 2009; I wonder what the number is for the half marathon?

vc10um I've read many good things about that 10miler! The Marine Corp Marathon is this weekend, I do believe. That's a big one too! And, of course, NYC is in a couple of weeks.

As for me, I'm a "wear tester" for a name brand running shoe and I'll be testing my first pair; they should arrive by Wednesday! I'm excited; it's a way to test shoes without buying them AND less wear on my runners! During my training, I went through shoes pretty quickly.

Tomorrow is usually my LR day; not sure how many miles I'll get in tomorrow. I guess I'll just run and stop when I feel like it! ;))

Happy running!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
ysj99 said:
Wow, I'm so glad I ran across this thread! I'm not a fast runner by any means, but I do it for the health benefits.

I've done many 5k's before and enjoyed them. When running, I always felt like I couldn't over that mental 5k "wall." Then I started going with DH on his weekend long runs and surprised myself by going 6, then 7 miles! I'm doing my first 10k next month and now I feel like a half marathon is in my reach! My goal is to do a half marathon in 2011.

Welcome, and best of luck with Half Marathon training! Be sure to get yourself on some sort of training plan to make sure you're well prepared for the race, and good luck on your 10K!

Half Marathons have become EXTREMELY popular. It's a challenging distance. It takes training. But it doesn't take the time, effort, or toll on your body that a marathon does. It's why I've done five of them, but still never gotten up the guts (or cleared my schedule enough) to do a full.

BeachRunner...how'd you get the shoe-tester gig?

ysj99

Shiny_Rock
vc10um said:
I officially drank the Vibrams Kool-Aid.

Introducing my brand-spankin-new Sprints!

vc10um, how are your vibrams working out for you? I've been seeing more and more people at the park wearing these. Do you feel like they have improved your foot strength?

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
BeachRunner - I try to do one day per week of intervals. The training plan that I am using really stresses mixing things up and doing something different every day. There are easy pace days, mid-pace days and 5k pace days. Some days it tells you to run just 30 minutes, while other days it's as long as an hour and twenty minutes. All of the runs that are not classified as "easy pace" are a mixture of easy pace and either mid pace, 5k pace or sprints. I think that is what is helping me the most - mixing it up. And I really have to restrain myself on rest days! I always feel guilty if I don't work out, lol. I guess we'll see if it pays off come next Sunday! The daughter and I are running in a local turn back the clock 5k...

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
I love how this thread is getting bigger and adding more runners! Yay!

vc10um-After registering for one of my races, I saw an ad for a wear tester. I just signed up and when a product meets your criteria, they'll send an e-mail!

imp Thanks for sharing! That sounds like most training plans incorporating speed work. For my marathon training, the most important thing was just to add miles and did not focus on any speedwork. And my long runs were very slow (about 60-90 seconds slower than pace). My next training schedule I'll add a day of speedwork into the mix. But, just from adding more miles, I've cut my time. I ran 8 today and my easy pace was under 10min/mile; it usually is right at 10min/mile.

I had two rest days during my training schedule and I occasionally did yoga. But, I needed a rest day; I was beat!

Good luck with your 5k next weekend! I bet you'll kill it!

So, I have a fuel belt for long runs but occasionally it hurts the middle of my back. Does anyone use a handheld water bottle? Do you like it? I never thought I would like holding something while running, but I feel like I need something for my semi long runs.

Happy running and Halloween!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
ysj99 said:
vc10um said:
I officially drank the Vibrams Kool-Aid.

Introducing my brand-spankin-new Sprints!

vc10um, how are your vibrams working out for you? I've been seeing more and more people at the park wearing these. Do you feel like they have improved your foot strength?

Soooooo, I'll confess: I'm a chicken and still haven't gone running in them. I LOVE them for cross-training, though. I do feel like my feet are stronger and my left ankle in particular no longer stiffens up after cardio like it use to in sneakers.

I'm planning on hitting the treadmill in the Vibrams today, though...so I'll let everyone know how that goes! I think I've just been scared of hitting a rock or something outside and being turned off from them forever! So I'll get use to them a bit indoors before taking them back outside...I hope to get a few outdoor runs in them before it gets too cold!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
vc10um|1288611294| said:
ysj99 said:

Soooooo, I'll confess: I'm a chicken and still haven't gone running in them. I LOVE them for cross-training, though. I do feel like my feet are stronger and my left ankle in particular no longer stiffens up after cardio like it use to in sneakers.

I'm planning on hitting the treadmill in the Vibrams today, though...so I'll let everyone know how that goes! I think I've just been scared of hitting a rock or something outside and being turned off from them forever! So I'll get use to them a bit indoors before taking them back outside...I hope to get a few outdoor runs in them before it gets too cold!

I did take them out on Monday! And by "out" I mean "on the treadmill".

I set out to do 2 miles. I did 2 miles, but I probably should have stopped at about 1.5 miles when my form started to fail. Wow does barefoot running work different muscles! I'm STILL sore today...after TWO miles! I was less sore 3 days after the Army Ten Miler!

I had no issues with foot, ankle, or knee pain or anything of the like, even though I'm a mild overpronator according to every gait analysis I've ever had done. Although I DID have some due to doing that last half mile with poor form.

I'm planning on taking them outside...I've been instructed to try them on sidewalk first since it's smoothest...so we'll see how that goes!

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
I've heard they use different muscles, too! I'm interested to see how you do with them outdoors :))

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm just a lurker in this thread, but I wanted to pop in and say THANK YOU to everyone for sharing your great advice and tips.
I wrote a while ago that Dreamer inspired me to start running, and I'm going to run a 5K with my sister on Thanksgiving day. I've learned a lot from this thread. Thanks ladies!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Haven|1290040779|2770681 said:
I'm just a lurker in this thread, but I wanted to pop in and say THANK YOU to everyone for sharing your great advice and tips.
I wrote a while ago that Dreamer inspired me to start running, and I'm going to run a 5K with my sister on Thanksgiving day. I've learned a lot from this thread. Thanks ladies!

Congrats on your first race, Haven! If you get addicted, don't blame us! :saint: Best of luck, and be sure to come back and let us know how it goes!

AFM, I think I need a different pair of Vibrams if I'm going to continue to run in them. After about a mile to a mile and a half, I start to get pain in my big toes... My friend checked my form and it's not an issue, but I think my current pair might be just a hair too small for me. I have the sprints, and one size up felt better in the toe box, but my heel was slipping against the bit of sole that comes up in the back and it was not comfy. Either that, or I need the Bikilas (the ones that are more designed for running) as their soles are just the tiniest bit thicker and I think I have some extra-sensitive toesies!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Hi all! Just checking back in. I've been working on doing longer and faster walks to build up my endurance. I'm probably going to start running first thing Monday, just a mile at first. I'm really excited!

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
Good luck with your first run, Dragonfly!!! :appl:

I ran out local Turkey Trot 5k yesterday and won my age division again (40-49). The best part though, I ran a new personal best of 22:15 which was almost two minutes faster than my previous personal best!!! :appl:

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
ImpatientOne|1290380996|2774881 said:

I ran out local Turkey Trot 5k yesterday and won my age division again (40-49). The best part though, I ran a new personal best of 22:15 which was almost two minutes faster than my previous personal best!!! :appl:

Imp, I'm going to start calling you SG...as in "Speedy Gonzalez"! Congratulations on your new PR and your AD win! :appl:

And I still maintain that there is NO WAY you belong in the 40-49 age group! :)

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I ran my first 5K this morning and LOVED IT!

The weather was cold (38 degrees) and drizzly, so it was definitely yucky out. But my sister and I ran together and we had a lot of fun. We took it S L O W because of the nasty weather, so we finished in 37 or 38 minutes, but we finished! There were some very slippery bridges on the path, so it was a bit scary at times. It felt really good to do the race, and now I'm motivated to get serious about training for next year's turkey trot.

Thanks again Dreamer for inspiring me to start running! I never would have thought I would run a 5K.

Here's a picture of us right after the race. (Sorry about my horrible Photoshop skills.)
TurkeyTrot.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
ImpatientOne|1290380996|2774881 said:

IMPRESSIVE! You are Speedy Gonzalez, wow!

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Happy Thanksgiving ladies!

Haven CONGRATS on your 5k! And a GREAT time as your first!

ImpatientOne WOW! Impressive! Congrats on winning your age group and your PR! Your old PR was around my PR in the 5k, but I haven't run one in yrs. I bet I can't do that anymore! Although, I did run a 5miler with an 8:40 pace; felt great! Again, congrats!

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
Haven, CONGRATS on your first 5k!!! I was hooked after my first one, lol! :appl:

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
ImpatientOne|1290826332|2780101 said:
Haven, CONGRATS on your first 5k!!! I was hooked after my first one, lol! :appl:
Thank you!

(I want to run another one now. I spent some time on the Internet last night searching for upcoming races. I'd love to find one on Mother's Day and get my mom to do it with me.)

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
DH and I just signed up for a 4K race on February 13th! They're calling it a Love Run and apparently people dress up in costume. I'm very excited!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Haven|1292817993|2801444 said:
DH and I just signed up for a 4K race on February 13th! They're calling it a Love Run and apparently people dress up in costume. I'm very excited!

That's awesome, Haven! Best of luck to you and hubs!

My running has gone to pot lately thanks to the cold...my lungs just hate it! But I'm already looking forward to spring!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
vc10um|1292980047|2803369 said:
Haven|1292817993|2801444 said:

That's awesome, Haven! Best of luck to you and hubs!

My running has gone to pot lately thanks to the cold...my lungs just hate it! But I'm already looking forward to spring!

Do you ever run indoors on a treadmill? I've been using our treadmill to train, and now I'm wondering if it's going to be much harder to run outside on the day of the actual race. Well--I'm assuming it's going to be harder because it will be Chicago in February, but under nicer weather conditions, do you find it's harder running outdoors than it is on a treadmill?

Should I put an incline on my treadmill to mimic an uneven path?

All I know is I'm following Hal Higdon's 10K training guide for novices. I would do the 5K plan, but since we're running a bit more than a 5K I figure the 10K is better. I hope I can get a bit faster over the next two months, because DH is going to kick my butt out there--he's so fast!

ETA:
And thank you, vc, for the good luck!

thethein11

Rough_Rock
Cool a running thread I think I am going to subscribe because I need to get back to running like I did in college or at least high school.

I ran a 10k last summer with little to no training did it in just over an hour because I was running with my GF as she is a bit slower but run more often than me.

It sure is could outside this time of year but I remember running outside in the snow my first 2 years in college and loved it. I think I need to find a running club because I have always ran on and X-country team or track team. So all the practices and workouts were structured I just had to show up now on my own I struggle with the motivation to get out there.

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock

I've always read to put your TM between .5 and 1 % incline to simulate outdoor running.

I love cold weather running! I've been slacking with my running, but have been making it outside at least 4x/wk for a run. I need to start training mid January, so no excuses for me!

Happy running to all!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
BeachRunner|1293046752|2803893 said:

I've always read to put your TM between .5 and 1 % incline to simulate outdoor running.

I love cold weather running! I've been slacking with my running, but have been making it outside at least 4x/wk for a run. I need to start training mid January, so no excuses for me!

Happy running to all!

BeachRunner, I've read 1% as well. It forces you to push off instead of just being able to lift and go like you do when running outside.

Haven, I have tried running on a treadmill, but I've discovered that I have a really weird running gait--my stride with my right leg is longer than the stride with my left--and while I've been trying to strengthen my hip flexors and whatnot to equalize these, it just seems like that's how I run and that's how my body is going to do it. The problem with a treadmill and my gait is basically it doesn't allow me to take "vc-sized" steps...the strides on both my legs are basically equalized by the belt and I end up with some hip and knee pain if I go longer than a couple miles. So while I can manage about a 5K on the treadmill, I can't go any further than that before it hurts. Hope that makes sense!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you, BeachRunner and vc10um!

vc--That makes sense to me. I'm sorry to hear you can't use a treadmill, but I must say--they're dreadfully boring, aren't they? I really prefer to be outside.

I'm doing fine on the treadmill, and the weather is horrendous here in Chicago right now so I have no desire to run outside. But I'm planning on trying it at least a couple times before the race in February, just to make sure I can actually do it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results