shape
carat
color
clarity

The Rock has Landed!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hopefulheidi

Shiny_Rock
I''m so glad I worked from home today because the UPS man arrived before lunchtime and I was so excited I almost kissed him ;-) hehe

Of course I flew right to the phone to tell Nate that the stone had arrived and he had to have a little fun at my expense, telling me I''d need to wait until he got home from work to open it!

Luckily, he''s really not that mean, and he let me open it without him although I was told I couldn''t study the stone until I had emailed him a lot of pictures first hehe

As soon as I cracked open the ring box I was in love. I believe the first words out of my mouth were "holy crap, it''s huge" ;-) hehe I spent the next few hours trying to get decent photos and emailing my mom and friends to let them know the good news. I know telling everyone about the stone may be jinxing things a bit but for years now they''ve been bugging me about an engagement so I HAD to tell them as soon as I had some real news :) It still doesn''t even seem possible.

Even worse, it has to be sent back to the vendor to be set and then I have to WAIT for Nate to actually propose. At least I''ll have photos to hold be over until then ;-)

I''ll try to post some photos over in SMTR and I''ll put a link here in case anyone is interested.

Woohooooo!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
In case we''re interested?! Of course we are!

You''ve had a solid 13 minutes since you made this post to take them and post them...so...bust them out!
28.gif

But seriously, congratulations and I can''t wait to see the pictures!

hopefulheidi

Shiny_Rock
Well I would hate to keep you waiting any longer hehe

So since it''s late...

Here''s a teaser photo montage:

hopefulheidi.jpg

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
That''s a really beautiful stone. Now where''s that SMTR thread. What type of setting are you getting?

shinythings

Shiny_Rock
it''s beautiful! i''d like to hear about the setting too. Also-what are the stats! we need details!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yowza! That thing is GORGEOUS! I''m with shinythings and miranda: what''s the setting going to be like? And what are the stats?

That thing looks crazy white and it looks big...it''s a great size on your hand! Congratulations!

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
wow-beautiful! that wait to get it back is going to be tough
12.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s gorgeous!!!! The fun begins, woohoo!!! great pics, btw...
36.gif

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
What a gorgeous stone! It must feel like you are SO close. I would go quietly crazy waiting for that beauty to be set. Congrats!

MustangFan

Brilliant_Rock
it was worth the wait, gorgeous!

NYCsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
its gorgeous!!!

now seriously you didn''t just post those pics with no stats....
9.gif

sap483

Brilliant_Rock
I''m drooling! You even captured some arrows in the first shot! What kind of setting are you planning on putting this beauty in? After everything you''ve had to go through to get this rock, I''d have separation anxiety too hehe.

hopefulheidi

Shiny_Rock
Sorry about the lack of stats...the stats are actually what I''m having a small freak out about right now. Going with a lower clarity allowed us to get the size stone I had always dreamed of, but knowing that Nate has said no upgrades makes me a bit leery of the inclusions. When I first opened the box it took me awhile to find the inclusion(s) but the longer I look, the easier they are to find. The inclusions are also part of the reason that I only captured a couple of arrows in the photos; the largest inclusion interrupts one of the arrows so no matter how hard I try, I will never have a photo of my stone with all the arrows showing. It''s sad that I''m bothered by the fact but years upon years here at Pricescope will do that to ya.

So now I''m trying to decide if I should go down in size (suck) and get a higher clarity or just keep this beautiful stone and accept the imperfections.

Grrr. I can''t really talk to Nate about this just yet either, because I have pushed this stone SO hard and he said at one point that he didn''t think I''d like this stone, that the clarity would bother me but I assured him I would be just fine with it. What if he was right?
emsmileo.gif
Maybe he really does know me better than I know me!

~Heidi

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2007 11:56:11 AM
Author: hopefulheidi
So now I''m trying to decide if I should go down in size (suck) and get a higher clarity or just keep this beautiful stone and accept the imperfections.

Grrr. I can''t really talk to Nate about this just yet either, because I have pushed this stone SO hard and he said at one point that he didn''t think I''d like this stone, that the clarity would bother me but I assured him I would be just fine with it. What if he was right?
emsmileo.gif
Maybe he really does know me better than I know me!

~Heidi

That is such a hard thing Heidi. I''m in the same predicament- get a bigger stone and go down on color or clarity or get the smaller one. Luckily, my BF thinks an upgrade in the far future would be fine, but I struggled with it for a long time since his definition of "the far future" isn''t within a few years! I finally decided to go with a smaller stone because I too will sit and obsess over imperfections in something and I would rather not be constantly examining my stone for inclusions. But that''s just me...everyone has their own preferences!

The stone is a gorgeous size on you, but that said, I don''t think that going down a bit in size would make a huge difference on your hand. I think it would still be gorgeous.

Good luck making your decision!

hopefulheidi

Shiny_Rock
Thanks neatfreak (glad you were able to find a stone you really loved!)....

This is such a hard call. Going down in size to go up in clarity would also require Nate to spend even more (we got a pretty darn good deal on this stone) and I''d hate to increase the budget any more than we already have.

I was just doing a little test with my 1.5 ct CZ and the "real" stone to see if there was a noticeable size difference on the hand. There was a slight difference which makes me think I''d be OK picking a stone half way between the two sizes, but anything I can find in an ideal cut in that size with a higher clarity and the color we want would tack another $1500 on to the price tag. This doesn''t seem like a lot, but Nate has already been more than generous in spending what he has for this stone and I''d feel really bad asking him to spend even more.

Perhaps I should just be thankful that I''ve had this much input. Had he not let me be so involved, god only knows what size/color/clarity I''d have ended up with ehhe When we went to the diamond store that everyone had recommended to him, the only thing we saw that we both liked was a 1.27 E, SI2 with what I would guess to be a Premium (not ideal) cut. I''d take the stone on my hand over that stone any day.

Who would have guessed that this would be a continually difficult process? At this rate, I''d almost rather leave it all up to someone else to decide hehe.

~Heidi

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2007 12:41:51 PM
Thanks neatfreak (glad you were able to find a stone you really loved!)....

This is such a hard call. Going down in size to go up in clarity would also require Nate to spend even more (we got a pretty darn good deal on this stone) and I''d hate to increase the budget any more than we already have.

~Heidi

Has HE looked at it and checked out the inclusions yet? Not to be conniving...but when my BF initially started this search he had NO idea of the difference and thought that they were overpriced hunks of carbon. Now that he has looked a a ton of stones everywhere from Zales to Tiffany''s he appreciates the differences in a better quality stone and was willing to buy a "better" one than he probably would have if he didn''t see it for himself.

One we were looking at here at a B&M I thought was nice, and it was HIM who ended up vetoing it (this was before I found PS) because he didn''t like the look of the inclusions. Since he is annoyed by little things like that too, it has worked out for both of us. But I had to let him come to the conclusion on his own...

Don''t know if Nate would go for that or not, but might as well make him inspect it too if he hasn''t already!

Best of luck!

hopefulheidi

Shiny_Rock
Nate is actually a defect engineer for a local semiconductor company so he spends all day using scanning electron microscopes to find microscopic defects on microchips. You can imagine how difficult it was for him to accept that most diamonds (we can afford) are going to have some "defects"/flaws.

When we actually went to the store, we saw mostly really horribley included stones. Stones where the inclusions were visible from feet away! When we finally looked at that nice 1.27 E/SI2 it took a little looking for us to find the inclusions and really, to us, the decent cut made up for any little blemishes. I was afraid that trip was really going to scare him away from lower clarity stones, but for some reason, he was actually more curious to see a really well cut stone that according to both the vendor and manufacturer is "super eye clean".

When Nate got home from work last night and looked at the stone, he first kept teasing that it was too big :razz: Once he really got down to inspecting it he remarked on the same things I did; basically 1) Holy cow, that''s white. I didn''t really expect it to look this white but it''s really bright and white 2) The cut is SO amazing. The arrows (all 6 full ones hehe) really pop out. It''s so easy to tell that it''s an ideal cut from the crispness/organization of the facets. He was very impressed with it.

As for the inclusions...they didn''t really bother him. He was able to find them relatively easily because he cheated and popped the stone upside down before I could stop him but I think the color, cut and size really overshadowed the inclusions for him. Those features certainly won me over yesterday as well but I think the 10 day return period and his refusual to upgrade is starting to worry me.

Nate had 5.5 years to decide if I was the right one for him and now I only have 10 days to decide if this is the right stone for me?

That hardly seems fair ;-)

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2007 12:57:57 PM

Nate had 5.5 years to decide if I was the right one for him and now I only have 10 days to decide if this is the right stone for me?

That hardly seems fair ;-)

Oh you are too funny Heidi. That is so true...good luck!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
It looks like a gorgeous stone, I''m so glad I made it over to this thread LOL!!! I can''t wait to see the finished project, congratulations in advance.

goldenstar

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful diamond and you take great photos! Have you thought about what type of setting you like?

Your story and the difficulty of chosing a stone really sounds a lot like me! You said a lot of things that I could really relate to. But, what are the stats? I read all your responses and I didn''t see the stats.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
That stone is gorgeous!!

DMBsGirl

Brilliant_Rock
that stone is gorgeous! can''t wait to see it in its final home!
1.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, that''s a tough call. I think it''s beautiful and I can''t see any inclusions from the photos and they''re much bigger than in real life. That said, you are the one who will wear it every day. I guess you should use those 10 days to decide if it will bother you, especially since your boyfriend isn''t into the idea of an upgrade.

It is such a nice size! It would be really hard for me to go down in size, too, so I undertand your dilemma there. Good luck deciding! (But if it were me I''d probably stick with this stone!)

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I can''t see the stone
7.gif

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
I can''t see it either
7.gif

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
WOW, it is beautiful and sparkly. sounds like a winner.

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I would get the SI. Knowing myself, I would obsess over the inclusion in the I1. Just how far away do you have the stone from your eyes to see the inclusion? Can you find it easily?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results