shape
carat
color
clarity

The ring that started it all--My Mama''s E-ring!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I blame my mom and her engagement ring for my obsession with diamonds.

This is the ring that my father used when he proposed to her over 30 years ago. All we know is that it''s about a .70 ct RB set in white gold. Now that my parents are divorcing, my mom has given THIS RING to my sister A so her bf can use the stone when he proposes to her.

Needless to say, I''m a teensy bit jealous but I am SO happy that the stone is going to become a family heirloom. They''re going to take the stone out of the setting and reset it in a pave band. I would have kept it and worn it as is, because I love it so darn much.

Enough talking, here are some pictures I was able to snap when we were visiting my grandma in hospital the other day:

HavensMamasRing1.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
More angles. The lighting wasn''t spectacular, but you get the picture.

HavensMamasRing2.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think this is the best shot I got of her beautiful ring:

HavensMamasRing3.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Aaaaand, just for fun, my e-ring, my wedding band, my mama''s e-ring, and my sister A''s promise ring (sapphire) from her bf.

I just had to share pictures now that I was able to get some good shots. My mom''s engagement ring has been the ring I''ve always envisioned as a proper engagement ring, ever since I was a little girl.

HavensRingsthewholeshebang.jpg

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh, what a wonderful ring, and what a lovely piece of your family history.

If your sister is planning to reset the stone ... any chance she might be willing to send the setting to live with you? That way you have not one, but two heirlooms ....

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 12:15:37 AM
Author: Circe
Oh, what a wonderful ring, and what a lovely piece of your family history.

If your sister is planning to reset the stone ... any chance she might be willing to send the setting to live with you? That way you have not one, but two heirlooms ....

Thats a good point :), your mum''s ring is beautiful :) I can see why the obsession started :D

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Splitting the ring - so that she has the diamond and you have the setting - is a totally FAB idea imho!!

Seeing as she is going to have it reset in any case...

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Haven, I love it! You mom''s ring is gorgeous. I wore my mom''s original engagement ring (she''s since upgraded
1.gif
) when mine was being sized after I got engaged, and it was so special for me, so I can imagine how special this ring must be to you. I''m happy it''s going to be family heirloom--oh, and I love the two heirlooms idea mentioned above!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Haven your mom''s ring is fantastic! I love the idea of your sister getting the stone, and you getting the setting - maybe you can find a lovely OEC to put into it?
1.gif

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
I love the ring, I think it''s beautiful. You should definitely ask if you can have the setting.

White Orchid

Shiny_Rock
I was thinking the exact same thing. I''m sure she won''t mind giving you the setting. You could set it with a gemstone... maybe your mother''s birthstone? Please keep us updated!

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/19/2009 6:36:59 AM
Author: White Orchid
I was thinking the exact same thing. I''m sure she won''t mind giving you the setting. You could set it with a gemstone... maybe your mother''s birthstone? Please keep us updated!
Haven, your Mom''s ring is very pretty and it''s nice that it''s going to become a family heirloom.
I''m still laughing about you taking pictures of diamonds while you were visiting your Grandma in the hospital! A true Pricescoper! LOL!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Aw! It's lovely!
36.gif
What great fun that it's going to stay in the family, even though it's taking on a new form. I think that's actually kind of cool, as it's moving through the generations, it can change to suit each person, while still remaining special and spectacular.
4.gif

ETA: My mom gave my sister her 1ctw studs to wear at her wedding... 5 years later she still has them and never wears them.... meh. I get the just a little bit jealous.
3.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its a really pretty ring Haven!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a really pretty ring. I think that splitting the ring is such a great idea!

AllieGator

Shiny_Rock
What a beautiful ring! I''m not a huge fan of diamonds for myself, but if someone gave me this ring, I wouldn''t turn it down! The setting is beautiful...I hope she/whoever gets the setting puts a colored stone in it, so that it can be worn.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve never seen anything like your mom''s ring - it''s very pretty!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
What a unique setting! I hope your sister won''t mind passing it on to you so you can put something spectacular in there. Thanks for sharing the photos!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty ring. I am sorry to hear your parents are divorcing after such a long marriage. It would be a great idea to split the setting, and a great sentimental piece for
you. Perhaps someday you could get a kickin diamond to put in the setting. In the late 70''s early 80''s it was hard to find a diamond that had a cert, and now the cuts
are so much better. Hope it works out for both you and your sister, and you wear them with much joy.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all the happy responses, guys!

I love the splitting of the ring idea, I''ll have to bring that up to my mom. After my sister told her that she wasn''t going to use the setting my mom said she''d just keep it and set it with another stone for herself, but since she was planning on giving my sister the entire ring in the first place I wonder if she''d be okay with giving me the setting.

OOOH--If she is okay with giving me the setting (and if I can muster up the courage to even ask about it,) DH and I should buy her a new ring and surprise her with it! When she told me she was going to keep the setting, I said we''d love to buy her a new stone for it, but now I see a totally NEW ring project coming on . . .

So, how do I bring it up that I''d love the setting?

gemgirl--OH! It must sound horrible that I was taking pictures at the hospital. My grandma has been in and out of there for ages, so we''re pretty comfortable there. I swear I''m not heartless, just a devoted PSer, as you said! (Now if I could get a shot of my grandma''s ring, it''s GORGEOUS! An OEC or OMC or transitional cut, not sure which, flanked by two pearls. I''ll have to ask to take pictures of THAT next time I''m with her . . . )

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Your mom''s ring is so cool!

I''d just come right out and say "mom, since sister isn''t using the setting, I was wondering if perhaps I could have it, so we each have an heirloom for ourselves and to pass on." I''m betting she''d be flattered that you love her ring that much to want just the setting for yourself.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haven, your Mama''s E Ring is lovely! How cool that your sister is getting that ring!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful Haven - thanks for sharing that special family piece with us
1.gif

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
The last photo is so very sweet
5.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Lovely Haven! I love the idea of you and your sister sharing the piece.
1.gif

DentD

Rough_Rock
Chiming in on loving the idea of splitting the ring like that. I actually love the setting even more than the diamond itself. Don''t get me wrong, the diamond is GORGEOUS and your sister is very lucky to get such a beautiful stone, however I think the ring itself is what makes it so unique. Whatever happens, be sure to share more pics!

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Haven those rings are all sooo lovely! Thank you so much for posting!
36.gif

I love how each is soo different and unique!

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/19/2009 10:27:57 AM
Author: Haven
Thanks for all the happy responses, guys!

I love the splitting of the ring idea, I''ll have to bring that up to my mom. After my sister told her that she wasn''t going to use the setting my mom said she''d just keep it and set it with another stone for herself, but since she was planning on giving my sister the entire ring in the first place I wonder if she''d be okay with giving me the setting.

OOOH--If she is okay with giving me the setting (and if I can muster up the courage to even ask about it,) DH and I should buy her a new ring and surprise her with it! When she told me she was going to keep the setting, I said we''d love to buy her a new stone for it, but now I see a totally NEW ring project coming on . . .

So, how do I bring it up that I''d love the setting?

gemgirl--OH! It must sound horrible that I was taking pictures at the hospital. My grandma has been in and out of there for ages, so we''re pretty comfortable there. I swear I''m not heartless, just a devoted PSer, as you said! (Now if I could get a shot of my grandma''s ring, it''s GORGEOUS! An OEC or OMC or transitional cut, not sure which, flanked by two pearls. I''ll have to ask to take pictures of THAT next time I''m with her . . . )
Oh no sweetie! I don''t think you sounded horrible at all. I thought it was funny! Hey I can be at wakes and funerals and notice womens'' jewelry. I''m not trying to be disrespectful, it''s just where my eyes naturally go! True blue PSers at heart!

We''d love to see a shot of your Grandma''s ring.... :)

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Ohhh I love it! I think it''s so special that your sister will get to wear the diamond!

SparkleNut

Brilliant_Rock
Your moms ring really is beatufiul.... but I would just come right out and ask her for the setting. Like others have said, she will be thrilled that you would want it, and you could even let her help you pick what you would like to set in it.... so that way not only your sister would be getting a big part of your mom by wearing her stone.... you would also in the new ring! Let us all know what you decide to do... can''t wait to see how everything works out!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results