shape
carat
color
clarity

The Ring of my Dreams- Literally

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ky6

Shiny_Rock
Hi ladies-

This may not be the right forum for this thread, but I am bursting at the seams, so I just wanted to share. BF and I have gone to look at rings locally about 3 or 4 times now. When this process first began, I was sure that I wanted a princess cut e-ring, with channel set princess sides (much like the vatche x prong or reverse prong)- I told bf, half in an attempt to speed up the LIW graduation, that I was sure that that was the ring for me and he should just order it. (mind you, we have had our share of stress and arguments over what I view as given timeframes having gone by).

He, however, wanted to check out the place his brother purchased his e ring and I obliged (like I am going to pass up the chance to look at sparklies!). That first trip just solidified in my mind the fact that I knew the princess channel was the ring for me. However, we decided before ordering something I had never seen on my hands, to try it on first. So we found a place about an hour away that carried Vatche. Boy am I glad that I went- the ring was way to bulky for my hands. Anyhow, we continued looking to try to find something more appropriate for me. All the while I am lurking in PS and drooling over all the pretty pictures. Well, the more I lurked the more I thought I was taking a liking to the antique looks and the rings with the halos. I also decided I would like to see a cushion and radiant in real life. Last night we went to a wholesaler where I saw the cushion (modern), radiant, and princess side by side. I also was able to try on some halo rings (while those are gorgeous, they just do not look right on my hand!). I have however decided throughout my process that I want a Cushion with a small (2 - 2.25mm) band with bead set diamonds (they had one with a 2 mm band, x prong, with a round brilliant center and bead set sides, that they could reset with a cushion!!!).

Oh ladies, this ring is calling to me! We got home and I could not sleep at the prospect of having this beautiful ring on my finger and feeling like I am getting so close to graduating...sidenote, last week, he said that he has learned through my self education on PS that a ring is not absolutely necessary for the proposal and asked if I would be upset if he did it without the ring and allowed me to help design a setting (holy cow!!!). Anyhow, last night I was plagued with dreams with various plotlines surrounding this ring. I must be going off my rocker- I can hardly contain myself at the thought that we might be getting so close to the next phase in our relationship. Has anyone ever felt this way about a ring?

Anyhow, thanks for listening. I just wanted to get that out. Also, if anyone knows of any great pix with cushion solitaire center and bead or pave set band, I would love to see them!

elepri

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds exciting! You really are close and how cool of him to ask you if you wanted to be involved in selecting the setting. Assumming that you checked out all the pictures on the forum, you might also want to take a look at antiqueengagementrings.com, i think they have some that sound like what you''re describing.

Cath

Shiny_Rock
Ah, here we go -- pics from the threads:

cater.jpg

Cartier%20Cushion%203.jpg

ky6

Shiny_Rock
Yes- I love both of those! Only our center would be smaller (1 ct range is our price range)- I have read about how cushions tend to face up smaller than they actually are, so I think since we cannot get much bigger than a ct that the thin band will be the key. I just really think the look is so elegant. Anyhow, the 2mm xprong bead set we saw at the store had a .8 radiant on it and the size did not seem too small on that band and on my hand. So I am kind of hoping that it will kind of give me an idea of how a 1ct cushion on that band would appear on my hand.

Anyhow, I think I am nuts. Dreaming about the ring and being so excited so soon :)
Thanks for the links to the pics- they are exactly what I have in mind, but with a smaller center.

ky6

Shiny_Rock
do you know of any side views?

Cath

Shiny_Rock
Ky6, I LOVE the look of these rings too! In fact, the first pic I posted was the first pic I fell in love with on PS.
1.gif

I don''t see any side shots for those particular rings, but here''s another one from a different thread:
ring%20shots.jpg

And here is the "idea" the ring was modeled from which shows it from the side:
ring%20idea.jpg

Cath

Shiny_Rock
Nevermind I thought my last post was totally wiped out when I got a "failed message", but looks like it made it through!

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
9.gif

isn''t that a great feeling...like you used to feel before christmas/holiday or your birthday....or waiting for a child to be borne.....there are so few things in our lives that cause that kind of excitement but isn''t it wonderful that your future e-ring is one of them!!!!

you aren''t crazy, just happy & in love. under any other circumstances even the perfect ring wouldn''t seem so perfect. enjoy yourself & try to get some sleep
3.gif

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
Oooooooh!!! Pretty pretty pretty!!! I loooooooooooooooooove cushions!!

Did you go to Isreal Diamond Supply? Just curious since you mentioned seeing them all together at a wholesaler... I saw some really lovely rings in there and a friend of mine got her beautiful cushion ring there.

ky6

Shiny_Rock
ooh Cath, I love that one with the side view. Thanks for the pix.

fff- oh my goodness, it is like Christmas! I cannot believe how goofy I am getting over it. I feel like a little kid- it is so wonderful!

teebee- It was at Israel. Unfortunately they only had one cushion ring there last night, but I at least was able to see a cushion in real life, rather than just on line. Bf and I both agreed that it was the cut for me! The others were most certainly beautiful, but the cushion really did it for me.

ky6

Shiny_Rock
Cath-
where did you get that side view of the modeled idea ring?

kanne

Brilliant_Rock
wow. that''s really beautiful! Especially from the side. Love it!!

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
KY6: Your *dream* ring sounds like...a dream...actually my dream as well!
2.gif
You have great taste by the way. I hope that you get it and please share when it happens.

35.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
KY6,
That certainly is a dream ring. I adore cushions and that setting is to die for. You must be soooo excited!!

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
what a fabulous choice! i''m sooo glad you tried on the other ring before ordering it and found the cushion! how exciting
9.gif

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Your dream ring sounds gorgeous!!! I''ve never seen a cushion diamond in person, but based on the ones posted on pscope, it sounds exquisite!
18.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Oh your ring sound fantastc. And the pictures that are being linked up to seem pretty amazing. I know how you feel about the size thing. We are in the same situation about a 1ct ring...are you a student as well? As for trying on rings I KNEW I want the Micheal B prnicess ring and I went to Manns in Rochester to try it on...and it looked weird on my hand. I am so glad you foudn your dream ring. Are you inserting into your perfect proposal in your daydreams yet? Sometiems being a LIW can be kinda fun!

ky6

Shiny_Rock
Just a quick update if any are interested.

Bf went to the B&M that had the similar ring to speak to the jeweler a couple of weeks ago (without my knowledge)- told him what I was looking for and what we wanted different about the one they already had made. He said he would get started making one, no obligation, for me to view and try on to see if that met my idea of what I wanted. Bf was so excited he called me and told me the news, even though he had specifically told me a few days before that I was to no longer have any involvement or knowledge of this process. Jeweler said it would be about two weeks before it was made. Bf was so excited he had to let me back in on the loop since I was to try on the new ring anyway. A few days later they called and said that a designer they work with already had my ring. We went and looked and it was not my ring at all. I thought that if they could not see the differences they must not be understanding what I am wanting. Anyhow, after being a PS LIW I of course immediately questioned why we would get to see a CAD drawing or a wax before they cast it. I educated bf to the custom ring process through some threads on here and he called the jeweler. The jeweler said they don''t do that (?) but if we wanted to be that involved in the process he had someone he could refer us to who did all of that. So he said he would continue to work on the ring (I guess they figure they can sell it even if it''s not what we want) even if we met with and decided to go to custom guy.

So at this point, excitement was faded and I was not feeling really confident about the referred designer. But we made an appointment and met with him Saturday. His work was beautiful and he immediately saw what I was wanting based on the differences in the pics (thanks to Cath) that I took to him. Boyfriend and I were feeling pretty confident with him, but were leary of the cost to have a ring custom made. When we got to the cost part of the meeting I sure wasn''t holding my breath that this would even be something we could afford.

Okay, so here''s the best part- he said the setting should only be $750 to make (woohoo! definitely in our price range!!!). All that we have to do is find our diamond- he can''t start until he has those specs. He had one that we liked, but we wanted to look elsewhere and explore all sparkly options out there- we are shying away from the cushion (due to availability and cost). So the bf asked how long from start to finish to make the setting once we get the diamond- he said it should be about 4 weeks (depending on when we order and timing of mother''s day).

Again- woohooo!!!!
I am so excited to be getting so much closer. Now bf has some serious diamond hunting to do. B&M store is supposed to meet with us this week to show us everything they have in our range/specs for diamond. If that doesn''t work out, bf knows he is to go staight to whiteflash, do not pass go. I have also told him that I would like to go back and look at the diamond the designer has one more time.

After that, I do not know how involved I will be allowed to be in the process (hopefully, i will get to see the design progress).

Anyhow, that''s the update- as Croi would say- I''m tripping the light fantastic ladies!

Btw, the ring is still making appearances in my dreams :)

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Woopee! You must be bouncing off the walls! I would be trying to figure out the earliest day possible and getting my nails done....I am a such a dweb. Glad your dreams are full of sweet things!

ky6

Shiny_Rock
Matadora- I am definitely going to start caring for my nails more consistently in about a month and a half- just to be safe, you know ;-)
And to answer your earlier questions, no I am not a student- but I do have an unreal amount of student loans. Luckily, bf has less than half of what I have, but it is still substantial. Money is tight, but it is also because we both own our own homes and do not have roommates.

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
YAY ky6!! That is so exciting to be that much closer!!! Being from Tulsa, I''m curious to know who you are working with ~ I think I talked to just about everyone, but at the time had not made a final decision about what I was really looking for so I never really got into any really in-depth conversations. I landed on a preference once I moved to OKC and by then it was just as easy to work with Whiteflash. Wow, I so cannot wait to see a beautiful cushion ring!!!

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Very, very exciting!!! You lucky girl
9.gif

Best of luck for quickly finding THE DIAMOND for your setting!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results