shape
carat
color
clarity

Cartier Cushion Cut Diamond with Pave Setting - Buy vs. Have Made??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
I''ve been watching this site for a few days while browsing for potential engagment rings for myself (my boyfriend and I have been shopping around)...
He really likes the Classic Tiffany setting with the Knife Edge band but I really like a ring I saw in Cartier... a cushion cut diamond with a very thin pave setting.
I have two questions:
1. What else should I be considering besides: which ring can we both be happy with (I think either in the end), which ring is a better "fit" for me style wise and which ring will I like the most in the future?
2. The Tiffany ring is easy enough to find a setting for on the internet if he decides he doesn''t want to buy from Tiff&Co. but the Cartier one - I have no clue (and neither does he) on how to get a ring made, who to trust, how it will really look, etc.
I think I''m attaching a picture of the Cartier ring (they don''t have this setting on their web site) so hopefully it will work
1.gif

Any help or advice anyone can give would be really helpful!! I haven''t seen any threads with a setting like the Cartier one...

Cartier Cushion 3.jpg

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the fast response!! I have looked at those settings but I have my heart set on how very tiny the diamonds are in the Cartier setting. I''ll look more in the e-rings folder but haven''t seen anything so far. Do you know of any threads that discuss how the "custom made" process works? I really don''t even know how much it would cost (maybe it would be comparable to paying retail for the Cartier in the end?)

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/19/2005 12:7:58 AM
Author: I Love Sparkly Things
Do you know of any threads that discuss how the 'custom made' process works?
Most likely not, but there are lots of ways to make rings all called "pave" that do not look quite the same and certainly do not cost nearly the same.

Thread about custom work... well, there are a couple of very recent ones that show just about the easiest and the hardest way around: one is about a pear diamond set for Mary Alaina and the other by Windowshopper about an emerald cut. You might want to take a look.

Btw. about thin pave band with microscopic diamonds... this is Ritani's:

04QQ13.jpg

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you type "custom made" into the search box at the top of the page you''ll get oodles of posts to wade through. Folks here do custom by choosing a PS vendor or choosing a local jeweler (trusted w/good reputation). Search for Reena''s thread to read of her experience with Leon Mege (at artofplatinum.com); MaryAlaina just posted tonight a pic of her custom ring -- here''s the first thread https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/if-pear-in-new-micro-setting.23714/ from Whiteflash. There are many other artists here who do splendid custom work.

I''m going to go out of a limb here and say that you can probably get a ring made for less than you''ll pay for a Cartier, simply because you''re not paying for the Cartier name.

The advantage with custom is that you choose all of the materials and to some extent that also allows you to control the cost because you''ll have more choices on the specifications of the center stone.

chantal990

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

It doesn''t hurt to get a few estimates from jewellers as to the cost. Most jewellers will sit dwn with you and draw scetchs and stuff also it''s amazing what they can do with design and computers these days. Maybe some family or friends can help you find a good jeweller in your local area or you could post your city here and see if anyone has any recommendations. In the end though it is up to you and what you feeel comfitable what ever you choose I am sure your ring will be beautiful.

Thanks for the advice! I''ll post a question in the main forum about trusted jewelers in my area.
Thanks again!

Wow - that is very impressive!!

Do you know how much a custom job like that costs?? It seems like it would be very expensive...

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, I don''t know the cost of the ring. Remember that your ring will cost only what you want to pay for it. Set your budget and contact some jewelers for estimates.

ayala_jessica

Shiny_Rock

style="WIDTH: 98.34%; HEIGHT: 280px">

I think I''m attaching a picture of the Cartier ring (they don''t have this setting on their web site) so hopefully it will work
1.gif

Any help or advice anyone can give would be really helpful!! I haven''t seen any threads with a setting like the Cartier one...
Is this the Cartier Cushion solitaire you mean ? I took this picture from their website..Actually, the ring seems stunning. However it is difficult to see from this pic if the cushion cut is regular or modified (like in the Tiffany Legacy ring). Since the central stone is very impressive in this ring, I think that you may focus on finding a very beautiful cushion and go for a custom made setting..However, you can see from the Cartier pic that their setting is quite intricated so eventually, all will depend on what is most important to you : the overall look of a cushion solitaire with a pavé setting or the Cartier style...Keep in mind that if you go for the Cartier ring, you will pay a high premium (trademark is trademark...)

Hope it will help !

Jessica

Cartier-Cushion.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results