shape
carat
color
clarity

The process of choosing my CBI diamond

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Following my previous thread here, I wanted to talk more specifically about my actual diamond choosing experience. I know I promised this post a few days ago - I'm really sorry, I got quite tied up with work and I really wanted to give this post the time it deserved. As you can tell, it's a long post - sorry not sorry. :)

So my previous main diamond on the ring I have just successfully sold had the following characteristics:

GIA certificated
Triple Excellent
1.65 carats
7.54 - 7.57 x 4.69 mm
F
SI1
Medium blue fluorescence
Table 57%
Depth 62.1
Crown angle 35.5
Pavilion angle 40.8
LGF 80% (GIA round to the nearest 5%).

Its HCA score was 2.4, but! It was a beautiful diamond and I was happy with it for a long time. I especially liked the carat weight because 16 is my favourite number.

Originally I had just wanted to change the setting, but over time here I realised that the thing most important to me was the cut of the diamond, and my diamond, whilst pretty, stopped meeting my standards. I would always get tonnes of compliments on it... but just felt blah about it. I also wasn't a fan of the fact it was an SI1. The fluorescence didn't bother me really, although now, based on my experience trying to sell my fluorescent diamond, I think I will be avoiding fluorescence in the future.

So, with all these doubts about my main diamond, there went my thought process that I would just change my setting. Instead I realised I was essentially going to have to start from scratch, upgrade my central diamond, and change the setting. Of course, that was going to be an expensive journey, and, like with most people I'm sure, I was going to have to work within a specific self-funded budget (which I've still overshot, but never mind).

So, I asked myself, where could I compromise? I felt worried about this; I didn't really feel I had much compromise in me. There was no way I was going to spend thousands of pounds to end up with everything 'less' than my original stone apart from cut.

I certainly didn't want to go smaller than 1.65 carats. I actually wanted to upgrade in clarity to VS. I wanted to upgrade in cut, and I wanted to try and get rid of fluorescence. And in terms of colour, well boy, I am REALLY colour sensitive. I remember buying my F coloured diamond and being shown a GIA G at the same time and really noticing the tint in the G. Not only that, but I didn't like the tint. There was nothing warm or 'buttery' about it. It really shaped my opinions. I suspect that I was shown a G closer to an H but even so, neither of those things were reassuring for me when I was trying to make the decision about this 'upgrade'.

On one of my many trips around my local jewellery shops and also into Hatton Garden, I tried to see if I had any wiggle room in my colour sensitivity. It doesn't help that locally, there's an element of 'scorn' about diamonds even going to H. The best local shop around here won't sell lower than an H (the 'less good' shops will sell I, but they're like frozen spit I1 machine quality type diamonds with dubious certificates... not pretty.) Having said that, I was able to track down some GIA Gs and GIA Hs, and also went into Hatton Garden to do the same. Over some agonising, the G I felt comfortable with, but the H was too tinted, especially from the side.

I think that people often think about the top view of the stone being the only view that matters, but I realised with my previous ring that MOST of the time I was looking at my ring from the side, and that the side profile was just as important if not more important to me compared to the top view. Considering that the tint is meant to be 'more' from the side, this was another worry to me.

Additionally on one of those trips, I tried on a 1.8 carat G, and I was like super :love: at the size. Damn. I had been trying to stick to the 1.65 range, I had thought I would be fine sticking to the same size, but then that darn 1.8.... Ugh. I also tried on a 2.0 carat D (cut for size, not for cut), and I was a bit... uuuh it's a bit big. I have fingers that are J and a half, I don't know what that is in American sizes. They're not the smallest of fingers, but yeah. I thought 2 carats looked too much.

So, I wanted a 1.8 carat G VS quality diamond, and by now, with all my reading etc etc, I would adore a super-ideal.

Yeahhhh, in my dreamy dreams. I looked at ACAs initially, and I could find SI1s that were maaaaybe okay with ACAs, but that wasn't including all the import fees etc. It was a sad experience, and I didn't really want another SI1. Whiteflash were lovely when I contacted them - as per my other thread they were willing at that time to use my particular stone as part exchange. So that was lovely of them. But even so, I wasn't going to be able to do it unless I compromised a lot.

I pondered CBIs. I figured I could at least look into it, to see what I thought. I knew they were more expensive, but I wondered whether I might be able to part exchange my ring and that might make something vaguely possible. There wasn't any harm in checking, I didn't think.

Bring on Melissa at HPD. She was super cute; in her first email when I first enquired, she sent me all these videos with E and F coloured diamonds. Then we hashed down the budget (and the fact that part exchange wasn't really a viable option) and my specific wishes more, and the emails she started sending me changed drastically. Considering as well there's a markup with CBI diamonds (and I'm not at all suggesting that the markup isn't worth it, because in my opinion it is, it's just something to bear in mind), to get my size wishes in, she started sending me videos that included J coloured diamonds.

No no no, I thought. I had expressed my wish for G. I had read their little blurb about the way the idea-cut diamonds face up whiter compared to other diamonds even if they're graded reliably. I could believe it, too, but that wasn't going to magically take away the body colour of the diamond and it wasn't magically going to take away the side-tint. Initially, I was not convinced at all.

But you know, it was difficult to not be swayed by it all. I trust CBI, and Melissa was so enthusiastic. I read through lots of really helpful threads on here looking at 'lower' coloured diamonds and how so many of you guys are super happy with them. It was nice to have a different viewpoint than the standard viewpoint I am used to, and I was open to it. I was, however, aware of my colour sensitivity too. But it was CBI. Why not at least consider it, I thought? I certainly wasn't going to have any other options with super-ideal unless I could really expand my budget or go drastically down in size - there was a 1.25 F VS2 that was really nicely in budget... that kinda thing. But I would have felt so sad to go so far down in size. That's not to say that I think that size diamond is bad - I have seen many glorious and beautiful rings with stones in less than a carat and I fantastise about those types of rings too! But yeah... it wasn't what I wanted for this ring.

So I entertained the idea of J.

It turned out there were three Js on their website that might have been contenders. I only ended up seeing two, it was pretty easy actually to rule out the third (a 1.80 J VS1). I'll still show photos of that third diamond because it's all in context.

Of the other two, the first was this one:

https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD9893
That was a 1.875, J, SI1.
7.94 x 7.96 x 4.88mm
Table 55.8
Crown 34.4
Pavilion 40.7
LGFs 77

The second was:
https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD10351
That was a 1.853, J, VS1
7.87 x 7.91 x 4.85mm
Table 56.3
Crown 34.4
Pavilion 40.7
LGFs 77

And as I mentioned, the third was a 1.80 J VS1. I won't add more details here as I ruled that one out fast based on my own personal preferences. You'll see it's still a stunning stone.

So, of the two, very little difference between them, apart from the SI1 being quite a bit cheaper than the VS1. Melissa was super keen on me saving money whilst still getting a bigger diamond, so she really wanted me to aim for the 1.87 SI1. I was super keen to save money and all too, but in all honesty, I was actually more freaked by the fact it was SI1 over it being a J. Like, the J was scary, but I had never seen a CBI diamond in person let alone a J, so I felt I could keep an open mind. The SI1 - that in combination with the J felt a bit like too much compromise. However! I was willing to see it. I was finding it hard to balance my own viewpoint and promise to myself that I was not going to get an SI1 against the trust I have in CBI diamonds (and I still have the same trust in them, all of these are MY issues, not issues with CBI).

Interestingly I have now seen the paper certificate of the SI1, and honestly the plot looks nowhere near anything like the plot on the website. But despite that the SI1 is still a thing for me. Wink very kindly did a video for me - it was useful, and I could tell the clouds weren't any issue - but they felt like a lot of an issue to me. For others it would be nothing to worry about. I wish the website had photos of the actual certificates really, it would make some of the inclusions look way less scary.

Anyhoo, let me share some photos Melissa sent me of the stones. They had been very kindly taken by Jamie, and I am so grateful to her for taking the photos! I have checked it's okay to put these pictures in here because the pictures are so obscenely beautiful I had to share. I can't remember what Jamie's ring size is.

The 1.87 J SI1:

1.87 J SI1 Image 1.jpeg 1.87 J SI1 Image 2.jpeg 1.87 J SI1 Image 3.jpeg 1.87 J SI1 Image 6.jpeg

The 1.85 J VS1:

1.85 J VS1 Image 1.jpeg 1.85 J VS1 Image 2.jpeg 1.85 J VS1 Image 3.jpeg

The 1.80 J VS1:

1.80 J VS1 Image 1.jpg.jpeg 1.80 J VS1 Image 2.jpg

Okay, that's my full picture allowance for this post, oops. :lol: I have pictures of the stones side-by-side, I'll add those into this thread at some point soon. I suspect all these above photos will be rather massive and I certainly recommend clicking on them to fully appreciate their beauty.

So, my thoughts!!!

Firstly, just to touch quickly on the 1.80 J VS1 - to ME, it was obviously more tinted in the office lighting compared to the other two. Outside it still looked awesome, but I could see the tint very easily in the office shot in a way that I couldn't for the other two. Considering it was also smaller, I basically used that to rule it out.

The other two. Well. I couldn't believe how beautiful they were. It was so nice to see them in a real environment. Having said that, I was already biased towards the 1.85 J VS1 - because it was a VS1 - so I was really drawn to the pictures of that stone. My favourite picture, and the one I lusted over again and again, was the 1.85 J VS1 picture of the stone with the tree as the background. I'm not sure how well it will translate here, but when I zoomed in on that one, the ARROWS on that stone were just out of this world!!!!!!!!

I mean, :love::love::love:

I was essentially sold.

Come wanting to see them in person. The J was still a worry. As I said, I'll show some other views after this post, but in the pictures it's not that they're without tint. They're just so strikingly beautiful that I felt differently about it. It's difficult to explain, but I was willing to give them a chance.

Antwerp closed over August.

Closed. The stones, to get to England, had to go from America to Antwerp and then to England.

Ugh!

Or well, I say ugh because I was so impatient, but actually this was incredibly fortuitous in reality. I was working through selling my ring, and that definitely bought me some time I do not think I would have had otherwise. In that regard, it was a blessing Antwerp was closed.

Beginning of September, and I've organised a date to see the stones. Faye, the very lovely lady from Durham Rose, was slightly concerned that the stones would not arrive in time - thankfully, they arrived the morning of the day I was going to see them. Phew!!!

Basically, I show up and meet Manu, who I think is essentially the owner of Durham Rose. Or one of the owners. I don't know, I see his name on this forum whenever someone mentions Durham Rose. Manu proceeds to give me as much time as possible with the stones. It's a tad difficult - we all know how important it is to try and see stones in as many different lighting scenarios as possible, so we aim for that. It's not possible to take the stones outside, but we can get them close to a really large window in diffuse sunlight, also under direct streaming sunlight, direct spotlighting, halogen lights etc. The only lighting scenario really missing was the rubbish horrible yellow office lights that are present in a lot of working environments.

I was gobsmacked. There's no way these stones were J. It wasn't even from the top view, I was totally prepared for them to be white face up, but it was from the sides that I was so surprised. To me, although I could see that they had some tint from very certain angles, they felt about the same as the G I had seen in Hatton Garden. I had felt that the G was acceptable - it was a nice warmth; you know how everyone uses the terms 'champagne', 'buttery' etc. I could look at the stones and understand why they might say those things. Like, I could see some tint at certain angles, but there was nothing offensive about it. Mostly the stone just looked white, clear and non-tinted, even from the side. I really felt that one benefit of going with CBI is that they don't just think about the end colour grade of the diamond when they're choosing their rough, but they also think about the undertone to the diamond, and that is really helpful.

And the light performance was out of this world. There's something so fluid about it, I don't know. It's like when you're watching a storm and the lightning just flows across the sky - yes, it's jagged and it jumps from place to place, but it still flows - it's amazing. Every time I watched these stones sparkle I thought of a lightning storm.

Interestingly, there was definitely a difference between them in their type of sparkle. They both had awesome sparkle, but they did seem to have different personalities. One was no better than the other, it would potentially just come down to preference. I got pretty lost trying to keep track of which stone had which quality of sparkle, but I did get the sense that they behaved in different ways. I THINK possibly I preferred the light performance of the 1.87, problematically, although watching back some videos I'm less sure. They're both awesome for different reasons.

So yes, I did take a couple of [very poor quality, rough-and-ready] videos (something else to see if I can add to this thread, although that might be a bit more difficult to be honest) and I have watched them back a few (ahem :whistle:) times. Annoyingly, I didn't video my F stone with the two stones all together, and I'm really frustrated with myself about that. I regret it. I don't even know why I didn't, it was so silly. When I got home from seeing them I tried to replicate a similar lighting environment and then video my own ring in a similar way, but it's never the same is it? Despite that, there was honestly no comparison, and I remained so impressed by the colour. I'm sure with the videos I can get a sense of the undertone of the stones especially when they're in shadow, but it's not a sense of 'yellow', which was my main concern. And in any other light the stones are fireballs - hard to notice the colour too much then, although I'm sure in time that would change.

I couldn't get over it. I still haven't got over it - can you tell?

However, I rapidly was developing a bigger issue, and that unfortunately was to do with size.

Bear in mind the 1.85 was 7.87 x 7.91 and the 1.87 was 7.94 x 7.96, that's what? Like a 0.07 x 0.05 mm size difference?

I have seen threads recently with debates about size difference and how big it needs to be (generally 0.2 mm) before it can be seen or before it really makes a significant difference. @sledge, news for you - even that tiny difference made a massive difference!!! Argh!!!

I could consistently (to the surprise of Manu, I think) identify the 1.85 from the 1.87 by size. It was pretty easy face up, although not possible face down. I totally get that the two stones were in comparison to each other, and that makes a big difference, but actually from the sense I got from the stones, I do feel I would have been able to 'feel' the size difference as well even if I just had one in front of me at a time.

1.65 carats is fine, you say to yourself. Fiiine. 1.80 is more than enough. And there I was looking at a 1.85 and a 1.87 and thinking that the 1.85 was TOO SMALL!!!!!!! :eek2::confused2:o_O

What in the name...!

I couldn't believe it. It was a bit upsetting.

It was just... my 1.65 in a setting and the 1.85 not in a setting didn't feel that different from each other, considering the amount of money I was about to spend. Now, please note that's not at all true, there's a massive size difference between the two stones, but it was more to do with my reaction that I was having this thought process, not to do with actual numbers. The 1.87 seemed large enough especially compared to my 1.65, but the 1.85 didn't. I don't know why, I can't explain it, but that was the reaction I had. Probably it was because I could see the size difference between the two Js.

Great, you say, a diamond that's larger, feels like the right size, has awesome light performance, and is cheaper... but I just couldn't do SI1. :( Honestly, the SI1 looked just lovely, whoever gets it will be seriously lucky, I just couldn't get over my clarity issues. And here I was, suddenly feeling fine with a J coloured diamond (at least from CBI, although obviously as you can tell with the 1.80, J is a spectrum). It opened a different world.

I wondered a lot of things after seeing those two stones. I wondered whether if I had seen the 1.85 by itself, whether I would have had a different reaction to it. It was a stunning stone, I loved it, I loved that tree photo, everything. But it felt too small. I decided that I need to just choose a different diamond, and that way I was getting a diamond that was not in a competition with any other diamond.

I went through the website and pondered the different stones available. I really thought about it, and my finances, and then picked out a stone, sight unseen:

https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD10106
It's a 2.075 J VS2
8.19 x 8.21 x 5.06 mm
Table 55.2
Crown 34.4
Pavilion 40.7
LGFs 76

I don't know if you remember me saying I tried on a 2 carat D and that it was too big.

Um.

Oops? :lol:

It looks like it will be an awesome stone, I especially like the smaller table and the 76% LGFs. I did have a brief wobble about the plot and the additional clouds not shown, but I got over that. It's a VS2. It's a CBI VS2. That plot is nothing to worry about.

Faye kindly checked with Paul, and supposedly this J is on the same spectrum as the two I saw in person. Fingers crossed it is, because the J of the 1.80 I do think is too tinted for me.

Anyhow, so that's where I am now. I have paid a deposit on that stone whilst pending setting options (another thread entirely). I'm actually trying to figure out a way to see the stone in person before it gets set, and because I'm pretty certainly going custom on the setting, before any setting is made. I do recognise that there is such a big jump between my original stone being an F, my initial wiggle room to G, and now to get a J... obviously that's a big change. I feel comfortable with it because I feel in every other way I will have upgraded beyond anything I could have imagined, and because the two Js I saw in person were unreal. Considering what I'm spending (pennies I know compared to a lot of people on here, but this is a massive purchase for me) I really feel it prudent to just take measures to ensure I'm completely comfortable. I wish actually Durham Rose had one of those ring diamond holders, that would have made seeing the diamonds initially a bit easier and would make seeing this stone easier, too.

I just cannot believe all this, and am looking forward to keeping you guys updated with this journey. :)

Well done if you made it through all of this. :)

Best,
Lydia.

PS: Other posts will follow with the other pictures and possibly with the videos, but it's now past 02:00 here and I need to go to bed. Was just feeling guilty about posting this so many days later than my intention! :)

Attachments

• 1.87 J SI1 Image 5.jpeg
    1.87 J SI1 Image 5.jpeg
    81.1 KB · Views: 28

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow so exciting. I love this story. and a bigger diamond. And a CBI. I’m following your journey. !

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really enjoyed reading the thought process you’ve gone thru to get this far and will be really interested to see what you think when it’s here! How are you going to set it?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the proportions ! :love::clap:

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m excited for you!!!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So happy for you and the journey you are taking. Definitely get the stone delivered for a preview. Seems easy enough.

Love the proportions too!

I won't dispute what your eyes saw on the size difference but I seriously doubt the majority of buyers will detect a 0.05mm difference and if they did then feel it's significant. For the Americans, this is about 1/512th of an inch. o_O

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Great read, thank you for posting this with all your thought processes etc

...Now I really NEED to see a CBI Diamond in person!!

Enjoy your new beauty, I’m sure ( I’m seriously hoping) she’ll be amazing and fulfill your dreams

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Wow so exciting. I love this story. and a bigger diamond. And a CBI. I’m following your journey. !

Thanks @ringo865, yes I'm so excited! It's difficult trying to be so patient. :D

I really enjoyed reading the thought process you’ve gone thru to get this far and will be really interested to see what you think when it’s here! How are you going to set it?

@foxinsox haha, that is the major question! I am currently just working through with Durham Rose towards some sort of approximate CAD, and I may post a thread about that. :)

I love the proportions ! :love::clap:

@Dancing Fire, honestly that is music to my ears. :D Thank you so much.

I’m excited for you!!!

@pearaffair, I'm super excited for me too!!!!!

So happy for you and the journey you are taking. Definitely get the stone delivered for a preview. Seems easy enough.

Love the proportions too!

I won't dispute what your eyes saw on the size difference but I seriously doubt the majority of buyers will detect a 0.05mm difference and if they did then feel it's significant. For the Americans, this is about 1/512th of an inch. o_O

Hi @sledge! Yeah it should be easy enough, the stone has to come into the country for it to be set anyway.

Hehe yes well to be honest I was really surprised I could see the difference. It was crazy. Obviously having them next to each other made it easier in a way that seeing them individually may not have been. I'm sure it's because mm and surface area aren't the same thing.

Inches. Don't understand it. ;-)

Great read, thank you for posting this with all your thought processes etc

...Now I really NEED to see a CBI Diamond in person!!

Enjoy your new beauty, I’m sure ( I’m seriously hoping) she’ll be amazing and fulfill your dreams

@Hounddog, I'm glad you enjoyed the read. I don't know how to do things in a concise way. :D

I would highly recommend seeing a CBI diamond in person too! It's not quite as easy to do as in America hey. But there's something really specific about the way they perform in light, it was fascinating. I wish I had had more time with them really.

I also am seriously seriously hoping the stone is everything I hope and dream. :D I feel sure it will be. I have great feelings about this. :D

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
So, following the first post, here are some pictures showing the three stones together. I pondered teasing and not saying which was which, but that seems mean.

All three 1.80 1.85 1.87 Image 1.jpeg

So it's literally in order - the left one is the 1.80, the middle is the 1.85 and the right is the 1.87. I stared at that photo for ages and ages. I mean I get that it isn't quite in controlled conditions as such but really, it was really difficult. I did feel the 1.80 was a tiny bit more tinted than the other two, but I wasn't surprised about that based on the face up pictures. But trying to figure out whether there was any difference between the other two was impossible. Like, they looked different, but it was difficult to tell whether one was more than the other or the other way around. In person I could not appreciate a difference at all.

And this next one - do I even have to say anything? They are all so beautiful and white!!!

All three 1.80 1.85 1.87 Image 2.jpeg

Zoomed in, soooo pretty!

All three 1.80 1.85 1.87 Image 3.jpeg

This next one has the 1.80 on the top, 1.85 in the middle and 1.87 at the bottom.

All three 1.80 1.85 1.87 Image 4.jpeg

This next one was the one that showed probably the most 'tint'. But like - again, it wasn't 'yellow'. There was just something additional rather than white. I don't really know how to explain it. I wouldn't say the tint in person was as obvious - just from certain angles it could be seen, but yeah. I wasn't bothered about it at least in the lighting I saw it in, and I do feel I saw the stones in a good range of lighting.

All three 1.80 1.85 1.87 Image 5.jpeg

So there you go, pictures as promised. :) I will try and work on the video next. :)

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Amazing choice! :love: And I loved hearing the entire backstory, as I have gone through similar contemplations myself over the years and I can truly relate to everything you shared! I cannot wait to see photos of your CBI and to hear how you plan to set it... CBIs are so beautiful and I know you are going to absolutely ADORE this stone! Congratulations!!

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
drooooooooooool. The 1.8 looks the most tinted to me in your pics, but then in another pic they all look so white. I'll take them all, thank you very much!

Can't wait to see your 2+ on your finger!

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So excited for you! I'm thoroughly enjoying reading about your thoughts and analyses. You are going to end up with a tremendous diamond and an incredible ring. I can't wait for the next installment.

I'm a CBI girl all the way --I wish I owned more than one! :love: :love:

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Oooh I just remembered I have a very blurry picture of one of the stones from the side, I cannot remember which one this was (they were both the same in terms of tint (or lack of it)) but I thought it was interesting that in normal lighting conditions the stone looked completely non-tinted from the side even against a white background. That was not what I was expecting when I went to look at it. I had been expecting to really see a tint at all angles, not just at very specific angles.

I have clutched at this picture a lot to reassure myself of... well, that I wasn't imagining how awesome the stones were. Certainly the previous GIA stones I have seen - even at the side view from G I could see a tint in the cutlet.

This picture was true to my vision on the day.

Side view J.jpg

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Very interesting, thanks for sharing. Will have to visit Durham Rose one day and see these in person!

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
drooooooooooool. The 1.8 looks the most tinted to me in your pics, but then in another pic they all look so white. I'll take them all, thank you very much!

Can't wait to see your 2+ on your finger!

@HappyNewLife - I cannot wait either. I cannot even believe this is happening yet. I never saw the 1.80 in person but I would agree that the 1.80 looked the most tinted in the pictures. Obviously it was still stunning as well, but based on the other two I decided against it. It's been nice going through the pictures again and having the opportunity to appreciate it again, because it's still an absolutely stunning stone. Anyone would be so lucky to have any of them. :D I mean, those are what - earrings and a ring or necklace??? :D

So excited for you! I'm thoroughly enjoying reading about your thoughts and analyses. You are going to end up with a tremendous diamond and an incredible ring. I can't wait for the next installment.

I'm a CBI girl all the way --I wish I owned more than one! :love: :love:

I'm super duper excited too! Thank you so much, I can't believe how lucky I am to be getting this particular diamond. Whilst I was trying to obtain a super-ideal I wouldn't have imagined I would ever end up with this particular stone. Crazy and amazing.

So you should so get another one!!! :D

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Amazing choice! :love: And I loved hearing the entire backstory, as I have gone through similar contemplations myself over the years and I can truly relate to everything you shared! I cannot wait to see photos of your CBI and to hear how you plan to set it... CBIs are so beautiful and I know you are going to absolutely ADORE this stone! Congratulations!!

Aww thank you. It's such a journey. You're totally right - I'm going to adore this stone. I cannot wait to see it!!! I wish I had a photo or a video... anything!!! So impatient. :D

Very interesting, thanks for sharing. Will have to visit Durham Rose one day and see these in person!

Highly recommend it. Book ahead! They can call a couple of stones in if you're interested in buying. :D

uyalison

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I am not surprised! size won over the color, didn't it?

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
I am not surprised! size won over the color, didn't it?

Hi! Interestingly it didn't feel like that! As in, I was dubious about the colour based on pictures but not about the colour in person... So then I was happy to go bigger because feeling that way allowed it. =)2

I guess you were in a similar situation as you could get a smaller whiter diamond for one dollar more... but not sure you would do that?

I don't really ever imagine going over 2 carats (although I thought that about 1.80!) so in the future depending on finances I may choose to slowly creep up the colour scale. We will see. I don't see the point of doing that if my diamond is predominantly white most of the time. If I have some similar feelings to you then I would probably do it. I am a bit nervous about developing a bother about it. It's why I'm keen to just cast one view over the new stone before any setting to ensure I have the same reaction as I had to the other two.

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Okay so fingers crossed, here are a couple of videos.

I do apologise, these were really rough-and-ready, and I was in a complete fluster about all of it, so I was just trying to frantically capture a couple of videos for my memory. They were incredibly helpful actually, because they gave me some processing time following my visit to see the diamonds, and stopped me from fooling myself about anything.

I don't usually wear those two rings in the video on that finger, I usually wear them on my right hand, but I was wearing my diamond ring on my right hand. I don't know WHY I didn't do a video with my ring and the two stones in, it's beyond me. Clearly I was in such a state. Those two rings, especially the metal flower, are really special rings. I love love love the metal flower one. My partner bought it for me from a little silver and tin mine in Cornwall. He remembered a thing I had told him based on one of my favourite childhood books, and spotted it. It's hand made. Considering how fussy I am about jewellery, he did amazingly. Very special, perfect ring. :love: It's getting me through not currently having a diamond ring. :(2

I apologise about noise/my talking - I was starting to lose my voice and we were talking about my phone... er... the one plus 3t, I love it. :love: Oh, and it's quite easy to see the size difference between the two stones in these videos, but that was ONLY because they were sitting unevenly on my hand.

The top stone is the 1.87 J SI1 and the bottom stone is the 1.85 J VS1.

I have watched these numerous times. I cannot get over the light performance of these diamonds. The one with the bit in the shadow, that was really really shadowed; my F coloured diamond didn't look much different in tone in the shadow, just not as crisply faceted. And the way the light jumps across the stones... just wow. I have never seen anything like it.

uyalison

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have seen CBI diamond side by side with color range from H to K. All the I, J, K looked obviously tinted compared to H.

As many people have said on the forum, being able to see the tint, doesn't mean that you will be bothered by it, which is my case.

However it sounds like you couldn't see the tint in person. But if you were able to see the tint, you would be bothered by it. If that is indeed the case I would suggest you to spend some time with the diamond, in an inexpensive setting, before spending thousand on a customer ring setting. As if you upgrade in color, the upgraded diamond might not fit in the previous setting.

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
I have seen CBI diamond side by side with color range from H to K. All the I, J, K looked obviously tinted compared to H.

As many people have said on the forum, being able to see the tint, doesn't mean that you will be bothered by it, which is my case.

However it sounds like you couldn't see the tint in person. But if you were able to see the tint, you would be bothered by it. If that is indeed the case I would suggest you to spend some time with the diamond, in an inexpensive setting, before spending thousand on a customer ring setting. As if you upgrade in color, the upgraded diamond might not fit in the previous setting.

You make excellent points. I had actually strongly been considering getting a temporary solitaire setting (yours!!!), The difficulty is I would want it in platinum. That's £860 for that setting, which isn't at all cheap, and I don't really want a solitaire setting long term. I don't want a gold setting because if I get a solitaire setting it would be for a few years.

I have the same dilemma as you really. I have to make compromises somewhere. For a little more I could get a 1.60 F VS2. I'm currently at the top of my budget plus a bit so I don't have a little more for this at the moment. I could also get a 1.80 I VS2 for just a tad less. I is tinted as is J. To be honest even H is tinted to me. And G. I don't know what the right answer is. I feel happy currently with the level of tint in the stones I have seen. I'm totally aware that the stone didn't get it's J grade from nothing. I can see in the pictures from Jamie that the stones had colour. It's just in person it was a non-issue.

I am aware that with some time with the stone it might become something that bothers me. I certainly hope not. Conveniently I have chosen a stone that is 2.0(75) carats and there are a lot of stones on the HPD website that are nearly identical measurement wise. I would just upgrade through the colour grades over time to a colour I was happy with. But I feel very happy with this choice.

Therefore I think ultimately if I'm going to spend that money on a setting that is only temporarily perfect I might as well spend that money on a setting that is perfect and then in the future, if I need to, work up the colour scale. I can't really see myself going higher than two carats, especially as it's just not socially normal here really.

Better doing it that way then getting a 1.60 carat F and working up in size... The ring would really have to be changed each time in that case! :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results