shape
carat
color
clarity

The Pink FCD Comparison again

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, hope you all are not sick of this pink FCD yet. Here she is lined up against some siblings of a different shape (she has already been brought out against two round siblings).

Anyone have preferences? The emeralds are all 5PR or 6PR. Weights are all 0.44-0.56ct range. Close enough that visual size appreciation is enough.

Once again, the idea is for the stone to be the centerstone of an E-ring. Please post your response thanks!

4 F.pinks.jpg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
I like the 1,2,4, counting from the left. With 2 having the deepest colour and the round being barely pink. I think it's going to be a gorgeous ring. Those three are lovely. Maybe you should ask your fiancee what she prefers.

T

talamasca

Oooo I'm going to change my mind for the first time as I've previously always picked the 4th, but this time I think I prefer the colour of number 1. I like that number 1 is still pale but shows a bit more pink, though 4 is still lovely.

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
I like them in this order:

[counting from left] 2, 1, 4, 3

Do remember that I'm the one who liked the peachy one before, though :loopy:

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
natsplat|1309944677|2962589 said:

Same here

SB621

Ideal_Rock
bright ice|1309953163|2962625 said:
natsplat|1309944677|2962589 said:

Same here

+1 more

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
2 has the strongest saturation while 4 has the least, yet 4 is probably going to be the sparkliest due to it being a brilliant round cut as opposed to the less flashy step cuts.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I like them in this order: 1, 4, 2, 3 Although if it came down to it I would probably get the round one because I like the shape and cut better... The other 3 do seem to have better color though.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NOW we're talking my language, Step Cuts!!! Oh Baby! Oh Baby! :lickout: :lickout: :lickout:

2 1 3 4

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1309953466|2962633 said:
2 has the strongest saturation while 4 has the least, yet 4 is probably going to be the sparkliest due to it being a brilliant round cut as opposed to the less flashy step cuts.

True dat BUT, when those large bar-shapped facets of a step cut send a flash of crimson your way it will be many times larger than any flash coming from a round of the same weight.

While you DO get more flashes from rounds the much-larger size of the flashes from the step cut more than makes up for them being less frequent IMHO.
I have some diamonds near 0.25 ct and with smaller diamonds I feel facet size becomes more significant than in larger sizes.

Of course neither is "better"
This is a personal preference thing, but it's good to be aware of the nature of the differences.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I love 2--whadda I mean, I like them all! Get the quad--set a pair in earrings, one in a pendant and one in a ring! :love:

cheers--Sharon

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1309953466|2962633 said:
......is probably going to be the sparkliest due to it being a brilliant round cut as opposed to the less flashy step cuts.

and this is why for an e-ring the ONLY one i like is the #4 round.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I love 1 and 2. To me it's a draw between them...The squareness and symmetry of 1 makes it rare but the color looks a bit more intense on 2.

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are beautiful! Pink is my favorite color and I'm dreaming of some day owning a pink diamond! :appl: It's nice to be able to enjoy someone else's project!

I love the round for it's sparkle factor and it's a gorgeous delicate pink so that would be my first choice, then 2,1,3.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Of the four, #1 is my favorite. 2 and 4 are tied for second for different reasons.

acebruin

Brilliant_Rock
i'm a sucker for step cuts like kenny... so this might be biased... #2 is my fav as well! ooh la la!

karpouzi

Shiny_Rock
For me it is far and away the round. I just love the delicate color and the cut (I don't like the contrast in the step cuts; I think it takes away from that delicate blush pink). I also think, and this is just me personally, I like for a colored stone e-ring to have a round center stone so it reads as an e-ring.

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
Well not an expert here but I'm really liking the dramatic contrast in #2. It is mesmerizing!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Still love number 4 because it is round and I'm more into the pink vs peachy color. My second choice in color would be 1.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
4 1 2 3

I would love any of them but the RB is still my fav among these choices.

I think it would look awesome as a three stone triple halo.....yum...

slg47

Ideal_Rock
number 1 or 2 for me. Both look more 'pink' than the round and possibly better cut??

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
They are ALL so beautiful :love: :cheeky: :love: :cheeky:

My opinion here....
I have a feeling that if one is truly very knowledgeable about FCD's and CS in general,
color matters a lot more than it would to the "average" person,

in choosing a stone for a beautiful ering,
I really feel like "most" women would want the largest and sparkliest.....

Me Too !!!! (*I love that round !!!*)

Your DF "might" want the brightest and biggest bling, and if so,
it will be difficult to tell her "buuuuut DF, the tiny one is the most valuable
and just wait until you see it give off that brilliant flash, here, hold it juuuuust so...."

also, I like canuk-gal's idea.
Aw... H***, just have her pick !!!!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
1 and 4, depending on what cut is your preference. PSers love our step cuts!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty. My order is 2, 1, 4, 3.

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all the input. I'm learning that with FCDs, there are some trends (MOST people love the round, and number 2, few like the peachy round, the least fav stepcut is the third from the left). This is turning out to be quite a global project.

I've sourced pink stones from US, online vendors, Australian B&M stores, and a swiss and german gem representative. The number of 0.5ct rounds that are within my budget with fancy (not light) pink colour is exactly... 1. The one you keep seeing. No other fancy pink round brilliants. The others are intense or vivid and the price points along with ct size is way way beyond what I can swing.

The key purpose for this thread was to decide which of the 3 emerald stones to request a viewing in person alongside the round brilliant.
One thing about the round is that its pinkness seems to be slightly dependent on angle and facing, but it always looks pink, albeit a softer shade.

I do like the size impression of the round, and the fact that a round is a traditional engagement shape but a pink stone is not.

I'm aware of the value perspective for FCDs, but also aware of the rarity of coming across a fancy pink FCD with no undesirable colour modifiers above 0.5ct. The first 3 step cuts are all argyle inscribed stones. But then again, this isn't an investment stone, it is a center stone for an E ring. Of course, getting value for $$$ is critical, but with FCDs, I really just wished I knew which one of the final three she would like. It seems like such an insanely personal thing.

I need to see the best step cut of the three in person to see if they are more mesmerizing in real life than that round.

So the top two choices are done (0.53 round and I think number 2 or 1 from this lineup) I'll relook at the certs and the individual photos.

I'm considering which would be finalist number 3 to compare against. That little vivid pink, or that lovely blue green brilliant round. :D

acebruin

Brilliant_Rock
mind if i ask the specs for that #2? :love:

slg47

Ideal_Rock
can finalists 2 and 3 be the first two diamonds from the photo?

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Specs for No: 2.

0.51ct, Argyle Pink 6PR, GIA Graded Natural Fancy Pink, SI1, 4.75x4.07x2.93, Polish Good, Symmetry Very Good, Medium Blue Flourescence. Argyle inscription, Emerald Cut. Pricing is below 30K (can't remember specifically what I was quoted).

Both the pictures below are showing the same diamond - the 0.51. Notice how they and the group shot all look like they have varying tones and intensities? Welcome to my nightmare. And Step cuts show much better colour in pictures, and rounds change their colours based on tiny minute angle changes.

I'm learning to be happy that in all photos, they all show a beautiful delicate pink - which is very promising.

It will be between this and No 1 from the left for the finalists vs the round brilliant. Please don't fight me for the stone just yet!! -_-

0.51ct-FP-PLG64-Pic2.jpg

0.51ct-FP-PLG-64-pic1.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TristanC|1310024351|2963544 said:
Notice how they and the group shot all look like they have varying tones and intensities?
Welcome to my nightmare.

Not a nightmare at all.
It is a diamond, so it behaves like box of windows and mirrors.
When not in spotlighting and dispersing light into bright rainbow colors a diamond will reflect the world around it.

The darker and lighter areas are not variations in the strength of the pink body color.
A particular light area is the result a facet being at the angle that reflects a relatively light part of its environment which is, say an open window at 40 degrees from the table.
Then a darker area is just the diamond reflecting that darker part of what is in its environment at, say the dark wall at 70 degrees from the table.
This is exactly what's supposed to happen; nothing is broken here.
When you change the environment or move the diamond the facet that was reflecting a lighter area will reflect a darker area.
Since they can't capture this still pics are deceiving, like when people object to "those 8 black arrows in a well cut round."
They think those 8 black arrows will always be there, prominent and black like an ugly spider.

Rounds do it too (have lighter and darker virtual facets) but the facets and virtual facets are so small it is not as prominent as in an emerald cut.
It is this very property of large-facet square cuts that results in you getting huge gorgeous flashes of the colors of the rainbow, as opposed to much smaller ones with a round.

I Looooooooove this diamond and I'm so jealous!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results