shape
carat
color
clarity

the perfect ring... except it's hollow! Sleeve/fill advice?

Calexand

Rough_Rock
My not-yet-fiancee, DA (he insists it's not official until the ring is on my finger), have been searching for months for a ring that I would like within his budget. We finally found an estate ring below his budget that was exactly my size with the diamond quality and setting I desired. I saw that it was hollow, but at the time, I didn't think this would be a big deal. I thought they did it to make the ring lighter/save on cost/also light up the diamonds. I knew it would just be a little more troublesome to clean and maybe not as comfortable. Now after reading these posts: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/question-about-ring-setting-hollow-vs-solid.104463/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/question-about-ring-setting-hollow-vs-solid.104463/[/URL] , [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/noob-question-on-why-some-engagement-rings-are-hollow.167895/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/noob-question-on-why-some-engagement-rings-are-hollow.167895/[/URL] , I am a bit worried! I don't like the idea of water getting trapped in the ring.

How hard will it be to fill the ring with something like 10k gold (does the metal quality make a difference?) or to put a platinum sleeve on it? Which is best? Filling it, or putting a sleeve? How much does something like that cost? What are the advantages of one over the other?

Please help!

CL

Calexand

Rough_Rock
Re: the perfect ring... except it's hollow! Sleeve/fill advi

This is what the hollow looks like! It goes all the way around. I haven't seen photos of the hollow underneath the stones, but do you think it will make a difference if the whole thing is sealed up?

Screen Shot 2012-01-31 at 9.36.36 PM.png

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Yes,it's possible, but it's very much a chore. You're correct that the reason they did this was to keep down the cost and you will completely offset the savings and then some with the labor it takes to change it. If it's not what you want, buy something else rather than try to retrofit this one.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Can you show us the ring? You wouldn't want to put metal where the stones are anyway because having them open allows you to clean them well.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

denverappraiser|1328104192|3116310 said:
Yes,it's possible, but it's very much a chore. You're correct that the reason they did this was to keep down the cost and you will completely offset the savings and then some with the labor it takes to change it. If it's not what you want, buy something else rather than try to retrofit this one.
Agree. You would have to see if the cost and labor is worth the extra expense for you. You would also have to see if it can be done without damage.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

I find my budget and desires rarely align. It is the saaaad truth. Something has to give! Would you consider a simple gold setting and a blingy wedding band? Or upgrade the setting when funds allow? You really should not compromise on quality.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock

If you got a good deal on the rings I'd just leave them alone and upgrade the setting when funds allow. You could contact the vendor where you got them though and see what they say. if you really love everything about them and don't want to change it, then it may be worth a little trouble to have it filled in.

Calexand

Rough_Rock

When I say we got a good deal on the ring, I *really* mean it. :D The center diamond is an H color .9k VS1 with no florescence and good cut, symmetry, polish, thick to very thick girdle. Plus, .3 cw on sides of the e-ring (VS g-h). This is not including the stones on the wedding band. We could spend up to 1k or so filling/sleeving the rings, and it would STILL be a good deal-- better than the price of an e-ring with similar setting in white gold. So, my question is: are fills possible and does the metal matter? I would be fine with 10k white gold. I would prefer a fill to a sleeve. I like the heavier weighted rings. I would take the trouble to fill it because it really is exactly what I wanted!

Calexand

Rough_Rock

Ideally, I would like to keep this ring for the rest of my life! I would rather not "upgrade." I have looked at other settings, and I thought that I didn't want a band, but this set caught my eye right away. :love:

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Calexand|1328127426|3116630 said:
When I say we got a good deal on the ring, I *really* mean it. :D The center diamond is an H color .9k VS1 with no florescence and good cut, symmetry, polish, thick to very thick girdle. Plus, .3 cw on sides of the e-ring (VS g-h). This is not including the stones on the wedding band. We could spend up to 1k or so filling/sleeving the rings, and it would STILL be a good deal-- better than the price of an e-ring with similar setting in white gold. So, my question is: are fills possible and does the metal matter? I would be fine with 10k white gold. I would prefer a fill to a sleeve. I like the heavier weighted rings. I would take the trouble to fill it because it really is exactly what I wanted!
Yes, filling is almost certainly possible in most cases although there are some specific details about the mounting that we don't know that can make it easier or harder. Whoever you hire to do the job should be able to look at the piece and give you better details.

Mostly it's going to be about the labor so going with 10k won't save you all that much on the overall scheme of things. If the ring is platinum, I would use platinum but that may be becasue I'm something of a purist about this sort of thing. There's nothing inherently wrong with using gold as a material.

Different bench people charge different rates for their talents and I won't venture to guess what someone else is going to charge for their time but I wouild give the warning that this is likely not a particularly easy job and the best craftsmen (and women) aren't usually the cheapest.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

if you love love love it- then spend the money to get it filled.

TheDoctor

Shiny_Rock

Most difficult to fill the area unless it is absolutely straight and even and a solid piece can be inserted into the void, expanded to fit and then the space at the joint would be closed with a second piece and welded in place. Can't just add molten metal.
If the hollow were covered by an inlay water would still get in and would be nearly impossible to remove, and the diamonds would look really awful as a result.
Save your money and live with the hollow opening or choose a different ring. Your maintenance of the hollow ring will be much easier than what you would go through with the area covered.

Calexand

Rough_Rock

Thanks All! I called the jeweler again, and he told me that the ring was "quite solid" in construction, so I am hoping that I will like the ring. I'll find out by next week! Keep your fingers crossed for me. <:o

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

Calexand|1328139498|3116783 said:
Thanks All! I called the jeweler again, and he told me that the ring was "quite solid" in construction, so I am hoping that I will like the ring. I'll find out by next week! Keep your fingers crossed for me. <:o

fingers crossed! please post pics when you get it!

Calexand

Rough_Rock

I just wanted to say that previous PSers were right-- this hollow band was like a reverse comfort fit! It was beautiful in person, but on my ring finger, my finger began to turn purple, and even on my pinky, the set hurt! :o Now I know better than to go for a hollow band! Water getting trapped in hardly the only issue.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results