shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about ring setting (hollow vs solid)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

audelair

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I am currently purchasing a new ring for my wife (her current ring is quite cheap and we want an upgrade for her). We want it to be a 3-stone ring, with approximately 1 carat total weight. We also want it to be in platinum.

The ring she currently has is hollowed out under the setting (on the underside). I guess this makes it significantly more lightweight, though it also feels cheap. Also, as the top of the ring is approximately 4-5mm in width, it can be a bit uncomfortable to take on and off. It's like a reverse comfort-fit (a discomfort-fit?) where skin bunches up between the walls making the edges more abrasive as she takes it on and off.

Is this pretty normal, for rings to have that trait to save weight? We'd prefer for it to be solid, and perhaps a comfort fit. But in platinum, would this get too heavy? I am going to get this one custom made so that it can be exactly as she wants it, so any options are available.

Thank you very much. I look forward to your comments.

Sizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/12/2009 12:43:36 PM
Author:audelair
Hi,

I am currently purchasing a new ring for my wife (her current ring is quite cheap and we want an upgrade for her). We want it to be a 3-stone ring, with approximately 1 carat total weight. We also want it to be in platinum.

The ring she currently has is hollowed out under the setting (on the underside). I guess this makes it significantly more lightweight, though it also feels cheap. Also, as the top of the ring is approximately 4-5mm in width, it can be a bit uncomfortable to take on and off. It''s like a reverse comfort-fit (a discomfort-fit?) where skin bunches up between the walls making the edges more abrasive as she takes it on and off.

Is this pretty normal, for rings to have that trait to save weight? We''d prefer for it to be solid, and perhaps a comfort fit. But in platinum, would this get too heavy? I am going to get this one custom made so that it can be exactly as she wants it, so any options are available.

Thank you very much. I look forward to your comments.
A hallowed out ring is not acceptable for an engagement ring/wedding set/daily wear. It can become uncomfortable, or trap water and create a skin rash. DEFAINTELY look into fully finished rings and consider palladium as opposed to platinum if you feel like a ring would be too heavy. SOme love the luxurious weight of platinum ( I know I do!).

audelair

Rough_Rock
Sizzle,
Thanks for the response. I will definitely make sure it is solid all the way around. I knew it looked cheap and unattractive, but glad to hear it confirmed that a hollowed out feature is bad for other reasons as well (the rash, water issue you described). Also, we will reconsider palladium, since the custom shop we want to use is very experienced with palladium.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Good quality hollow rings will be lined, where a thin sheet of metal is used to finish the inside of the ring, sealing the concavity and, well, just making it look better finished. A hollow ring is not necessarily bad: many panel rings would be way too heavy if they were solid and this form of construction is used even in top jewelry (but always lined, in this case). If the metal is thick enough, it will be as resistant as a solid ring.

A cheap hollow ring is nasty, I agree
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results