shape
carat
color
clarity

The Other Jake''s Proposal

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

the other Jake

Shiny_Rock

I just want to start off with a little thank you to all of you who helped keep me sane during my time of waiting. A little disclaimer- this post may get a little long, so if you don’t want all the details just scroll down to the pics… they should speak for themselves.

A little bit of background- Basically, I am a 22 year old grad student and have been planning this proposal for almost two years. I had the ring custom made from WF almost 4 months ago and the wait was excruciating.

We left for the Dominican Republic on Saturday and arrived at the resort (1-3). It was utterly amazing, starting with being greeted with a drink right at check-in. The first night was kind of tough with the big plans for the next day running through my mind, but I tried my best to stay calm and relaxed- it was my vacation too after all.

Before I knew it, it was Sunday …the big day. I couldn’t believe it had finally arrived. The day began on the beach . The sun was out and I could not have asked for a more perfect day. I must say though I was definitely uptight (although she said she couldn’t tell), constantly checking the time and trying to make sure everything was set just right.

The setup: Several weeks prior to leaving I nonchalantly suggested that we walk on the beach and get dressed up one night. She agreed that it would be quite romantic and “we” decided the second night would be best. I even got her to suggest that we get a picture on the beach (I already planned on all of these things but it was less suspect to make her feel like she came up with the idea). She even mentioned our “dress up” night several times before we even left just to make sure it was still going to happen.

We left for our “beach walk” just before 6:30. I knew the sunsets there were right around 7 so I “dilly-dallied” around when I was getting ready to make sure the timing was just right. Picture me trying to pretend to be interested in some goofy Spanish shows to make sure we didn’t leave to soon… kinda funny looking back. As we left the room, I told her I forgot tip money in case we got a drink or later and needed to run back into the room (I’ll get back to why… but keep this in mind). Once we reached the beach I knew it would be smooth sailing. The stars were aligning and everything was going right as planned. We walked about a quarter mile down the beach, and I picked my spot. I found a couple who spoke English (harder than you might think) and handed off the cameras. I instructed them that I was about to propose and that my g/f was ready to pose for a picture. I asked if they could take one shot, but then keep shooting during the course of the proposal. Of course their eyes lit up and as you can see the shots below, it was just amazing (4-7).

The speech was something like (I rehearsed it so many times): “I just want you to know that I feel like the luckiest guy and the entire world. I love you so much, you make me so happy, and I want to spend the rest of my life with you. I guess what I am trying to say is…Kristen Lynn _____ *down on the knee* will you marry me?” I was surprisingly nervous and my voice was a little shaky, but she said yes through a flush faced smile with tears welling in her eyes.

Afterwards, she asked if we could sit down and for me to repeat what I said because she basically went into shock and couldn’t comprehend it. We both sat staring at the ring and talking on the beach for a few minutes basking in bliss, but in the essence of time I ended the moment with “Honey it is a very beautiful ring, but unfortunately we can’t eat it and I’m really hungry.” (I had booked us a private dinner for two and wanted to make the reservation).

We strolled back to the resort holding hands and smiling… I was loving every moment. Back in the resort we approached a private gazebo just before sunset. I suggested that we eat here… she, still not getting it, responded- “I don’t think we’re allowed to honey… what are you doing (as I’m taking pictures).” Well, as we were being seated, she eventually got it. “I can’t believe you” became the phrase of the night. We had a wonderful candle lit dinner complete with champagne and music. People kept walking by stopping and staring, some even took pictures. It was truly amazing… (8-14)

After dinner we stopped and lay next to each other in some pool chairs staring up at the stars. It was a night full of perfect moments. Eventually, we made it back to the room where she discovered a bed covered with rose petals (15). I had actually ordered them and brought them with me. Remember when I ran back into the room before dinner… I placed down the rose petals and got the room just right. The resort was nice enough to give us a complimentary fruit tray (16) and even the maid got in on the action with a decorated a towel (17). After she sat staring at the ring (18-20) and we both called our parents (who already knew of course), I gave her some bridal magazines (21) to look at on the beach the next day. Of course she said it was the perfect proposal and I don’t know about all that- but I must admit- it was pretty darn good (22)…

TOJ%201.jpg

TOJ%202.jpg

TOJ%203.jpg

TOJ%204.jpg

TOJ%205.jpg

TOJ%206.jpg

TOJ%207.jpg

TOJ%208.jpg

TOJ%209.jpg

TOJ%2010.jpg

TOJ%2011.jpg

TOJ%2012.jpg

TOJ%2013.jpg

TOJ%2014.jpg

TOJ%2015.jpg

TOJ%2016.jpg

TOJ%2017.jpg

TOJ%2018.jpg

TOJ%2019.jpg

TOJ%2020.jpg

TOJ%2021.jpg

TOJ%2022.jpg

luvinlife

Shiny_Rock
That is one lucky woman. I love the wedding mag. idea. Well done and CONGRATS!
36.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
So tender...and I love that you got someone to take pictures! You two make such a cute couple! And the amount of time and thought you put into the entire ring and proposal is really amazing. Congratulations!

DMBsGirl

Brilliant_Rock
wow, simply perfect!!! congratulations
36.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a heartwarming story! I have to admit that I did get a little teary-eyed. It''s been great having you around theotherjake, you''ve been really friendly and fun here. It''s great to see guys here that care some much about getting their girlfriends a great ring and a special proposal. Congratulations to you both, you make a lovely and probably a very sweet couple. Tell your new fi that I really like her sundress as well, it''s super cute! Thanks for updating us with some pics!!! Congrats again!

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Awwww and you two make such a wonderfully cute couple!

It seems like the night went perfectly. How exciting!!!!!!!

I hope you decide to stay on the forum and keep up LIW company. :)
Maybe you can get your FIANCE to join the bride worldwide forum?

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats Jake.....et al.

I guess you got forgiven for Valentine''s Day.

Great story, super photos, and glad it went well, and that you survived all keeping it a surprise and secret till the very magical trip. It''s been nice to have been a small part of this since the search began.

Rockdoc

oshinbreez

Brilliant_Rock
Wow. Everything looks so beautiful. You two are such a cute couple. You did good
36.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OtherJake, ever thought about writing a book for men on marriage proposals? I think you could!!! I''ve enjoyed following your story here, you really put your heart and soul into this! Just make sure you keep putting your heart and soul into your relationship and you will have a really wonderful marriage! Congratulations, and best wishes to you both!
36.gif
35.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is just great! Many congratulations to the both of you. You make a cute couple and I am glad all your efforts paid off so well!

Rachie

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations!
36.gif
You guys are such a cute couple and you both look so happy! I would have to agree with Monarch on writing that book for proposals b/c yours was fantastic! I hope that my boyfriend does half as well as you did. Beautiful ring too by the way!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Awww, Jake, you made me tear up!! What a lovely proposal! Your fiancee is one lucky girl to have someone as thoughtful and romantic as you. Congratulations!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Teary here too.

What a great looking couple. You really outdid yourself. Well done, and congrats!

p.s. I cracked up at that last pic.
9.gif
2.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
So wonderful! Cogratulations again, Jake!

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Awe, congratulations!!!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
awesome jake! awesome! you did everything just right!! ::throwing kudos:: have you told her about all of your other girls - us? and spilled all of your secrets about planning this? Did you make up for valentine''s day? Yay - you made it!! LOL Congrats!! You are so unbelievably adorable in those pics and the backdrop is just *insanely* perfect!!! She''s gorgeous and you''re a lucky guy :) SHE is a lucky girl!!! I could only wish my husband had a little more of you in him :)

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations to you both. Beautiful pictures, beautiful people and beautiful ring.

NYCsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
wow!!! its sounds perfect!!! lots of luck, happiness, and joy to you both.
emcocktl.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
aww wow-it was a perfect proposal!! Congratulations!!

Finding_Neverland

Shiny_Rock
I saw your pics in the other thread last night but did not click over here to read the story.

FABULOUS!!

I can''t believe you took the rose petals with you and did the room all yourself in a rushed, "Gotta get some tip money" time period!!

You have the perfect proposal story!!

Many Congrats!!

30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
Jake, Congratulations to you and your fiance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Whar a beautiful proposal!!!!!!!!!!!! You did a great job!!!!!

Tne ring is gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
36.gif
36.gif

M~

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Great job Jake! I guess it was worth the wait after all, and I am sure you MORE than made up for Valentine''s Day. I agree with the OP who suggested you write a How To guide for men who want to propose. You know your stuff! Best wishes to the both of you!!

*M*

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awwwww -- how sweet!!! Congratulations on your wonderful proposal and as we all told you before, the ring is beautiful! What a lucky fiance you have!

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
That was a wonderful proposal and great pictures to boot! Congratulations!!!

sap483

Brilliant_Rock
So cute. I made my boyfriend read this thread to prove that every other guy is not as unromantic as him! She looks absolutely thrilled in those pics, as she should be! Good job, and congratulations!

devotion

Rough_Rock
Congradulations! She is one LUCKY woman to have found such a sweet and romatic guy such as yourself!!

the other Jake

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/12/2007 9:59:57 AM
Author: sap483
So cute. I made my boyfriend read this thread to prove that every other guy is not as unromantic as him! She looks absolutely thrilled in those pics, as she should be! Good job, and congratulations!
Hey give your guys some credit... you never know. Thats what she was saying about me a week ago!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Very, very sweet - I''m sure she''ll remember that evening for a lifetime!

Congrats to you both, and well done!

heartsonfire

Shiny_Rock
Very well done...
Congratulations to you both...
1.gif

Amazing engagement... gorgeous place... simply romantic... lovely pictures.
You both make such a beautiful couple.

the other Jake

Shiny_Rock
Several friends that I shared this site with made the comment- "aww... you didn''t even get a hug?!" So I''m setting the record straight- Yes I got a hug! Thank you for all the kind words. It was definately a wonderful evening.

TOJ hug.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results