shape
carat
color
clarity

The Official TTC Thread!

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats Regalada!! Here''s wishing you a healthy pregnancy!

As for being in your 30s -- a lot of us preggos/mommies are in our 30s and had no problems conceiving. TGal, MrsSalvo, Diver, Curly, and I all got pregnant without IVF (far as I know) and without complications in our 30s (with some of us being in mid-30s too!). Age is just a state of mind, ladies
21.gif

peonygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for your feedback, Dani! I was just parroting what my husband was taught during his rotation (turn it down somewhat, but not substantially), but sounds like you''ve been at it for a lot longer. I should mention though that this is at a top academic medical center, so maybe different places do it differently? I have no idea!

regalada

Shiny_Rock
Thanks ladies!

Well, what advice can I give? We tried a different thing every cycle, for instance, early on we tried without charting, then started charting, then bought Pre-seed, then started using OPKs. That way I would not get too overwhelmed with all the approaches at the same time.

This cycle it was the "no caffeine cycle". I usually drank one 10-ounce mug of coffee with milk every morning, and that was all, but I''ve been drinking coffee since I was in high school, so I''m quite attached (DH calls it addicted :)). I read about coffee early on as I wanted to know if I REALLY had to give it up, but everything I read said no, so I didn''t give it up although I did make it thinner and avoided sodas too. At the beginning of this cycle I told hubby, this is it, I''m quitting coffee, because I found an article that showed that it could interfere with implantation. Not sure if that had anything to do with this being our cycle, but makes me wonder
1.gif

This cycle I was making an effort to be more relaxed about it, no easy feat, as you ladies surely know. Last cycle my chart was amazing and different from all the other ones, so I really thought that was it, but no. I was so disappointed I decided this cycle I would not get my hopes up like that, so I was more zen about the whole thing and found something to distract myself with.

I''m so happy that it''s this cycle! We are going to see my closest friends back home in three weeks and DH''s family on Christmas, so we might get to tell them in person. It will be my mother-in-laws first grandchild, so she will be thrilled! However, we are not sure about when we''ll start telling our friends and family since we don''t want to get their hopes up too much just in case, but I would love to tell them in person so I can see their reactions.

I''m just about bursting with the news, so thanks for listening! And baby dust to all of you :).

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Regalada, where are you doing your charting? Are you using a specific website, book, etc? I don''t even know where to begin with the whole charting thing.
40.gif

regalada

Shiny_Rock
Blushingbride, I use www.fertilityfriend.com. They have free basic charting, and charting with a fee of about $40 per year. The fee was worth it to me since you can do all kinds of things like overlaying your charts to see patterns and predict when AF was going to show up for easy planning. The have boards with supportive women also, but sometimes it gets a bit much so I don''t post or visit often.

The charting was maddening at times because I would wake up in the morning and the first thought to pop in my head would be, is my temp up or down today?! But I''m glad I did it because it taught me a lot about how hormones in my body work, and it let me know that I was ovulating normally, and that my luteal phase was long enough, so I was not stressing out wondering about those two things.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
regalada, congrats! What great news! Lots of sticky vibes! Thanks for sharing all your advice. How many days post ovulation are you today?

regalada

Shiny_Rock
snlee, I''m at day 13 past ovulation today.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2007 9:10:40 AM
Author: blushingbride

Has any of you considered using a fertility monitor from the get go? I have a friend who thought she was pregnant and when she got her period, she and her DH were realized how much they really wanted a baby. So, the very next month they went out and bought a fertility monitor, used it once and got pregnant right away!
blushingbride, I also recommend using fertilityfriend.com to start charting. It''s really helpful since it tells you when you''ll most likely be ovulating and when to expect your period. There are a few other ways to be aware if you''re ovulating other than using a fertility monitor. There''s three basic fertility signs - basal body temperature (BBT), cervical secretion changes, and cervical position. I checked all but the BBT for this cycle. iVillage has some very helpful information on this.

peonygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Hi girls! I''ve skipped over a few posts, but I was curious about why you''re doing charting instead or just purchasing an ovulation monitor. Of course I''m very new to this, so I apologize if that''s a dumb question!

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks ladies...I signed up for Fertilityfriend, but haven''t paid for anything yet. Do you suggest I start charting before we start TTC?

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Dani...just out of curiosity, which hospital in NYC has the best reputation for L&D??

regalada

Shiny_Rock
peonygirl, I charted because I wanted to have the charts as records in case I needed to talk to my doctor about problems with my cycle. I thought having printouts of the charts would be helpful.

E B

Ideal_Rock
regalada,

I believe that''s the shortest stay on any list in PS history! Congratulations!
36.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
regalad, that is wonderful news. Please let us know your due date (after you go to the doc''s) so we can add you the the due date list. I am sending sticky vibes your way!!!

Dani, I am glad you agree. My dad gives epis so I have ALWAYS assumed I would get one. I have no doubt they ARE safe and will not cause complications. I have no plans on laying off that button towards the end BUT I''ll see how it goes. Also I think my hospital gives them around 4 cm. My dad said I should get one before they break my water (I am guessing I am going to have to be induced b/c it is sometimes painful). Do you agree?

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2007 1:05:00 PM
Author: regalada
peonygirl, I charted because I wanted to have the charts as records in case I needed to talk to my doctor about problems with my cycle. I thought having printouts of the charts would be helpful.
Me too. I''ve been charting for awhile now since my periods were irregular so I just continued. Also, another factor is the cost. Fertility awareness method is free.
1.gif

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2007 1:04:15 PM
Dani...just out of curiosity, which hospital in NYC has the best reputation for L&D??
sounds like we have a few NYC representatives here..good to hear! i''m curious if any of you girls have heard that a particluar health care provider (or a couple of them) are better for coverage of expectant mothers, fertility treatments etc?

lili

Ideal_Rock
Congrats regalada!!
36.gif
36.gif

That is so cool that you will be able to make the announcement to your families during the holiday.
Lots of baby sticky your way.

When is your first PNV appointment?

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2007 1:03:05 PM
Thanks ladies...I signed up for Fertilityfriend, but haven''t paid for anything yet. Do you suggest I start charting before we start TTC?
I would definitely start charting before you TTC. You may not need to use FF yet, but at least keep track of the days you have your period so you can enter that data in FF later.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2007 5:26:54 AM
Author: Dani
Hi ladies!

Hey!!! Just wanted to chime in here, re: epidurals.... As some of you know, I have been an L&D RN for close to 8 yrs at a major hospital in the NYC metro area.....I just wanted to let you all know that there have been many, many studies which have investigated the correlation between early epidural placement (e.g. when a woman is in very early labor... 1 or 2 cms) and progression of labor. They have found that even with early placement of an epidural, women have still progressed normally on the labor curve. Bottom line....even if you get an epidural very early in the labor, you should still dilate/progress normally...it should not 'slow you down.'

Dani,

That's interesting. Thank you! It'll be quite handy to have you around, since you watch all of this stuff happen firsthand!

When I had originally posted about epidurals sometimes causing unnecessary c-sections, I meant I had read that it can cause a mother to feel too tired to stop pushing (depending on the amount given and when). Here's a little snippet from americanpregnancy.org that gives an example of what I've read:

You may find that your epidural makes pushing more difficult and additional interventions such as Pitocin, forceps, vacuum extraction or cesarean may become necessary.

Does this sound accurate to your experience? I've heard of it happening once, personally, to a friend of a friend. I was with the friend when her friend's husband called and said the baby had to be vacuumed out because she couldn't push, her bottom half was numb. But then, Tacori brings up a good point- do women without any drugs also become to tired to push? Where is the happy medium?

I know if I do receive an epidural, I want to make sure I get it early enough/a low enough dose so that I can still push.

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/30/2007 1:19:36 PM
Author: janinegirly

Date: 10/30/2007 1:04:15 PM
sounds like we have a few NYC representatives here..good to hear! i''m curious if any of you girls have heard that a particluar health care provider (or a couple of them) are better for coverage of expectant mothers, fertility treatments etc?
Good question Janinegirly...I''m curious about that too. Gosh...so many questions!

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2007 12:59:02 PM
Author: peonygirl
Hi girls! I''ve skipped over a few posts, but I was curious about why you''re doing charting instead or just purchasing an ovulation monitor. Of course I''m very new to this, so I apologize if that''s a dumb question!

peony,

I think having both gives you that much more information, which could be a good thing, or a bad thing. When DH and I start trying for the first ~3 months, I don''t think I''ll chart with my temperature, but I will be observing my CM and possibly using ovulation sticks.

E B

Ideal_Rock
So no one's bought anything? I guess I could nominate myself to be the crazy stash lady of the board.
31.gif

(I'm just kidding- I'm too superstitious. But just one or two things?)

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2007 1:30:38 PM
Author: EBree
So no one''s bought anything? I guess I could nominate myself to be the crazy stash lady of the board.
31.gif

(I''m just kidding- I''m too superstitious. But just one or two things?)
What have you bought EBree? Hmmm? Hehe.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2007 2:25:40 PM
Author: snlee

So no one''s bought anything? I guess I could nominate myself to be the crazy stash lady of the board.
31.gif

Nothing, yet. I just can''t stay away from the baby aisle at stores.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2007 2:32:32 PM

So no one's bought anything? I guess I could nominate myself to be the crazy stash lady of the board.
31.gif

(I'm just kidding- I'm too superstitious. But just one or two things?)

Nothing, yet. I just can't stay away from the baby aisle at stores.
Aww, that's cute! My husband wants to go into Babies "R" Us to look. A tad bit too early! I must admit I do find us wandering into the baby section of stores too.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2007 2:38:32 PM

Date: 10/30/2007 2:32:32 PM

31.gif

Nothing, yet. I just can''t stay away from the baby aisle at stores.
Aww, that''s cute! My husband wants to go into Babies ''R'' Us to look. A tad bit too early! I must admit I do find us wandering into the baby section of stores too.
Maybe I''m the crazy one. I had to go into Babies R Us to buy a baby shower gift and I couldn''t get out of there fast enough. The place gives me hives. And this is when I had my bun in the oven.

Thank god I''m getting a ton of hand-me-downs!

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
I''m with you TG - that place is way too overwhelming for me! Plus, what''s with having to wrap your own gifts at that place? Talk about a big, fat pain in the you know what!
20.gif

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
Its so funny because I am not ''ticking'' AT ALL!! Baby clothes, although cute, do not make me go pitter-patter!
My DH and I have discussed timing and that is why we''re ''going for it'' in the new year. It is certainly not because I''m SOOOO ready. It''s an age thing, really
2.gif

My BFF is ticking like a time bomb and she loves all things baby-talk too. It''s funny how different everyone is. I''m sure I''ll be gag for babythings when ''the time'' comes!

In the meantime, I''ll keep browsing the jewelery stores! hah.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2007 2:45:36 PM
Author: TravelingGal

Maybe I''m the crazy one. I had to go into Babies R Us to buy a baby shower gift and I couldn''t get out of there fast enough. The place gives me hives. And this is when I had my bun in the oven.

Thank god I''m getting a ton of hand-me-downs!

You know, TGal, I could be your personal baby shopper. Just a thought.
9.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results