carat
color
clarity

The Official TTC Thread!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Re: The Official TTC Thread!

ChinaCat|1311088863|2972231 said:
Greetings ladies. Hope you guys are all doing well. I haven't been following this thread, so forgive me if this has been discussed recently.

Do any of you use a good fertility tracker app? I am thinking of something other than Fertility Friend as I am not temping or doing that kind of stuff yet. Just more of an easy to track period/ovulation window, etc. I've been browsing a few but haven't found one that seems great yet. Just curious.

Good luck to all of you!

Fertility friend has a good mobile app. I started using it before temping and found it to be pretty useful.

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock

Centralsquare, trust me you are not behind in the least. This group does not represent the norm. I am guessing the vast majority of women go off birth control and either start trying immediately or wait a couple of months and try without monitoring. If anything, you'll be a little ahead and increase your chances.

amc, you're probably right that you haven't ovulated if your temp is still that low. Your higher temps may have been caused by some sort of disturbance or this hot summer weather. Hopefully, it will be happening soon.

Clairitek, looks like you are indeed gearing up to ovulate based on your OPKs. I don't think you're wasting your time at all, and if it keeps you busy in the meantime, it's a win-win. I do think that if you start to see a pattern, you probably won't have to keep monitoring so closely unless you really want to. For me, temping every day got a bit annoying and made me feel more stressed out about TTC. But fortunately for me, my cycles seem to be pretty regular, and I can predict within a day or two when I will ovulate and get AF.

PPM, what you described sounds like what I get just before and after EWCM.

Lizzy, are your OPKs getting any darker? Hope you are in the 2WW soon!

MP: Thanks for popping over at the JBP thread. Hope the 2WW flies by and that you'll be joining us soon!

Lizzy: Sending you O dust!

China: So good to see you! AMC is right, I think there is a phone app for tracking your cycles on fertility friend. I never used it so don't have any thoughts on how well it worked.

AMC: I think you're gearing up to O. I would be surprised if you don't get a positive OPK today.

C-tek: I think you'll be getting a positive OPK soon too!

Pilsn: Yes, EWCM is like the clear stretchy snot you get after a good cry.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock

amc80|1311088430|2972224 said:
Dreamer_D|1311048264|2971949 said:
AMC if your temp on the 19th is high again I think you ovulated on CD 11. Your post-O temps are typically in the same range cycle to cycle, and yours after CD 11 are in the range of your post-O temps from last month. OPKs are error prone, as is a novice's assessment of CF, so I would trust the temps. But you need a couple more to see a pattern.

My temp was low again today, 96.5. So I'm guessing I havent O'd and this is just going to be a long cycle.

I had a drop today, too- 97.6. BUT I did another OPK last night before bed and one this morning. The one this morning was blazing positive- as dark as the control line (so I did get a fade in pattern yesterday).

Looking back at my chart I have been getting higher temps on the weekends, so if I discard those Sat/Sun morning temps all of my pre-O temps are within a small margin of each other, 97-3ish-97.6. I think you will be in the similar boat (though I know your temp pre-O is a bit lower than mine) if you discarded the weekend temps. It was my rise this weekend that fooled FF into thinking I had ovulated (they took those cross hairs away this morning with the 97.6). I put in my positive OPKs today and it predicts that I will ovulate between yesterday and two days from now.

Still no real EWCM to note from me, but I haven't been putting much effort into monitoring it. I think that this part of my fertility will take a bit longer to come back after being on BCPs because it was completely absent while on the pill.

MP- You're right that once I get my regular pattern established (assuming I have one) I can stop monitoring so closely. I am already tiring of the temping so I think maybe next cycle I will just use the OPKs and see how it goes. If I am not able to repeat this month, then I can add the temping back in. No sense in driving DH nuts (still complaining about the temping and claiming its disrupting his sleep.... JUST WAIT UNTIL WE HAVE AN INFANT!!) if I don't need it.

MerryMary

Rough_Rock

ChinaCat - I wanted to let you know that I have an App called "Period Tracker" and it is pretty good for giving you an idea about your cycles (Periods/Ovulation) window. I think it was only a couple dollars and works fine for me since I'm not temping either. Hope this helps.

Missy0483

Brilliant_Rock

Clairitek|1311097101|2972345 said:
I had a drop today, too- 97.6. BUT I did another OPK last night before bed and one this morning. The one this morning was blazing positive- as dark as the control line (so I did get a fade in pattern yesterday).

Still no real EWCM to note from me, but I haven't been putting much effort into monitoring it. I think that this part of my fertility will take a bit longer to come back after being on BCPs because it was completely absent while on the pill.

Claritek, just curious if you took a picture of your positive OPK today...I've been watching your fade-in pattern. I agree with you on the CM thing, I had none to speak of while on BCP.

AFM I think I may be starting to see a slight fade-in with my OPKs. I'll see what it does later tonight. I've attached a pic. Does CD19 AN(Afternoon today around 1:30) look a little darker than the previous days or is it just me? I've noticed my CM this month going from sticky to creamy for a good 5 days, then today it's been creamy/milky/watery lotion-like. Gotta love describing CM! :lol:

IMAG0093.jpg

amc80

Ideal_Rock

ally_ally|1311095453|2972318 said:
AMC: I think you're gearing up to O. I would be surprised if you don't get a positive OPK today.

Still negative!

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock

Missy, they are definitely getting darker. Hopefully O is coming soon!

Clairitek, I certainly see the great benefits from temping, however I find that I get a lot of anxiety when too much testing is done so I just stick with the OPK's. I've had great luck pinpointing O with them, so I never tried temping. Maybe give it a go without temping and only OPK's as the temping is causing you stress and see how that goes. You should be getting close now, your lines are getting darker.

Ally, thanks for the O dust! I got a :)) at 1pm today!

Monkey, I went out and bought the cheapy OPK's so that I could see if my line was getting darker and from yesterday morning till today they were getting darker so I was happy to see that I hadn't missed O. Today at 1pm I used a cheapy. It looked like a positive so I used my digital and it was confirmed with a :)) . So BD'ing is on the agenda for tonight!!! I am excited to be in the 2ww very soon!!!

Chinacat, sorry I am no help on that! I'm sure some of our techier TTC'ers will have a good recommendation for you!

Sha, thanks so much for the info! I finally got a positive on both a cheapy and a digital today (cd17). So right on track! I'm glad I didn't miss it!!!

AMC, I really like using the combo of digi's and test strips for ovulation tracking. I can then watch the fade in and then when it is getting real close to a positive I switch to digi's and I find that really helps to pinpoint O.

AFM, I got a positive OPK (digi and strip) this afternoon around 1pm. It is CD17 for me, so I am going to consider O tomorrow. We BD'd on CD13, CD15, and plan to BD tonight and tomorrow! I was so excited to see the :)) on the test today!

Octavia

Ideal_Rock

C-tek, I forget how long you've been off HBC, but it took me a good 4-5 months before I had any. I think some people get lucky and it comes back quickly, but I apparently wasn't one of them. Last cycle, though, I finally realized what people had been talking about, and why they've said you will know when you see it. And I don't generally monitor it either! So don't worry too much about it yet, especially since you're still TTA for now :))

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock

Lizzy, yay for a smiley! I can't help but smile back whenever I get one. It's just so cheerful and makes you feel like you accomplished something :) Good luck this cycle! We're all cheering you on!

Missy, that last one looks slightly darker, so hopefully a positive is around the corner!

Claritek, I too had zero CM while on the pill, and I had very little the first three months after going off the pill. It was not until my most recent cycle (#6) that I noticed actual EWCM, and it was only small amounts for a couple days.

Missy0483

Brilliant_Rock

lizzyann|1311102643|2972407 said:
Missy, they are definitely getting darker. Hopefully O is coming soon!

AFM, I got a positive OPK (digi and strip) this afternoon around 1pm. It is CD17 for me, so I am going to consider O tomorrow. We BD'd on CD13, CD15, and plan to BD tonight and tomorrow! I was so excited to see the :)) on the test today!

I hope so Lizzy! I bought them too late last cycle so they really didn't do anything for me so I'm hoping something is going on :)) Sounds like some great timing on BD. Good luck to you!!!

amc80

Ideal_Rock

The EWCM is back. I think I'm going to O tomorrow. Last month I got my first positive OPK the same day I O'd, with a temp shift the next day, so I have a feeling that's what will happen tomorrow. Of course I've been saying that for the past few days...

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock

Octavia|1311104293|2972419 said:

C-tek, I forget how long you've been off HBC, but it took me a good 4-5 months before I had any. I think some people get lucky and it comes back quickly, but I apparently wasn't one of them. Last cycle, though, I finally realized what people had been talking about, and why they've said you will know when you see it. And I don't generally monitor it either! So don't worry too much about it yet, especially since you're still TTA for now :))

Octavia & MP: Good to know that it takes a bit to come back for some people. And yeah, since we aren't TTC I am not too worried just yet. This is only my second cycle off of BCPs.

Missy- I do think that the last one you did is slightly darker than the rest. Looks almost identical to my photo from yesterday where I posted my AM one that was a bit darker. I actually thought that was my picture at first! I bet your strip tonight will look darker! Good luck!!

Lizzy- YAY for a smiley! That's awesome! Have fun tonight (and tomorrow night!)! I can see the temping between now and when we TTC (at earliest, late next April/early May) becoming a source of stress. I've got time to play around with my monitoring. I find the OPKs much more interesting than the temps!

An odd feeling that has crept into my brain since I started monitoring my cycles and went off of BCPs- I feel like I'm being wasteful (not the right word but close enough) knowing that I'm ovulating and doing nothing with it. Not sure why I feel that way. Maybe that's an odd sign that I'm getting really warmed up to the idea of TTCing and having a baby.

amc80

Ideal_Rock

Clairitek|1311114135|2972536 said:
An odd feeling that has crept into my brain since I started monitoring my cycles and went off of BCPs- I feel like I'm being wasteful (not the right word but close enough) knowing that I'm ovulating and doing nothing with it. Not sure why I feel that way. Maybe that's an odd sign that I'm getting really warmed up to the idea of TTCing and having a baby.

Definitely sound like you're getting warmed up to a baby :) I sort of feel that way too. Like my body is working so nicely, just how it's supposed to...and I'm not taking advantage of it. As if I've baked a batch of delicious cookies and nobody is wants to eat any.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock

Hey guys, just dropping in to say hi, and I am TTC, and would love to join your discussion.

I must say, I have been lurking on this thread, and I am impressed by all the charting, graphs, ect.

Me and my husband have been trying for about 2 months. The first month I was not surprised when we were not successful as we were not together when I thought I ovulated. Last month I was supposed to ovulate around the 4th of July, which was great because we had a 4 day vacation together. Well, I just opened a bottle of wine last night, so I guess that says it all.

Anyways, if we try next month, they baby's due date will fall on the week of my Birthday. My husband says that it not a big deal, and I guess it is not.

Our biggest challenges will be that he travels a lot and we are both a little older. I am 32 which is not that bad, but I know in terms of fertility, I not exactly young. He is 40. Despite my research, I am not sure how his age will affect things.

Anyways, that is where I am at. I am trying to read everyone else's story, it is hard to come into such a big thread.

Missy0483

Brilliant_Rock

Welcome Firecracker! I just recently jumped in this thread also! Are you temping or using OPKs right now?

I tested tonight with an OPK and it was just about the same color as my afternoon one so we'll see what tomorrow morning brings. I believe I noticed some EWCM after I posted earlier....time for BD just in case :)

S&I

Brilliant_Rock

Hi ladies! :wavey: I have been lurking on this thread for about a week now, and have actually read through the first 100 or so pages.

My husband and I were married in October of 2010, and I've been off BCP since the honeymoon. I think I have been temping since the beginning of this year, but not monitoring my CF carefully. We have been what I call "haphazardly" trying, which doesn't involve any timing at all, but we have decided that we are going to officially start trying this cycle. I'm 32 and my husband is 34, so we need to get this show on the road!

I am currently on CD5, and am getting a pelvic ultrasound tomorrow afternoon to check my anatomy. My OB is suspecting PCOS due to my irregular periods, but my blood tests last month came back all normal, so she suggested the pelvic ultrasound as the next step. I also just ordered the Wondfo LH and HCG sticks from Amazon, so I am excited to try those out.

Looking forward to catching up with all the current TTCers! Hope everyone is doing well so far this cycle!

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock

Welcome Firecracker! I'm 30 and my DH is 40 as well. I'm on my sixth cycle of trying, and I too sometimes worry that DH's age is a contributing factor. I have no evidence that it is, but if I'm not pregnant by annual exam in September, I'm hoping I can get some blood tests, etc., and we can get his swimmers tested. Personally, I wouldn't worry about your future baby's due date falling during your birthday week. My birthday is exactly one week after my mom's, and it was never an issue. Then again, I'm not that big on birthdays. You just never know when the conditions will be right to get pregnant, so I would take advantage of every month. Hope you get your BFP soon!

Welcome to you too S&I, that's great your blood tests came back normal, and hopefully your ultrasound will as well. Maybe it will just be a matter of getting your timing down! Nice to have some new TTCers.

Missy, definitely start BD'ing now, and hopefully a positive OPK is around the corner for you!

Clairitek, I TOTALLY get what you are saying about wasted eggs. Once we got married, I started to feel like we were wasting perfectly good opportunities by staying on BC, and I starting to completely despise taking my pill every morning. When I think of how I might have been more fertile in my 20s, it frustrates me as well! Don't worry though, a few months won't make that much of a difference, and I'm sure you've got plenty of eggs!

S&I

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks for the warm welcome, monkeyprincess! I am looking forward to actually timing the BDing this cycle.

LtlFirecracker, my birthday is 11 days before my mom's birthday, and I don't think it was ever an issue either. I think it would make a great birthday present for you!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock

amc80|1311115965|2972549 said:
Clairitek|1311114135|2972536 said:

Definitely sound like you're getting warmed up to a baby :) I sort of feel that way too. Like my body is working so nicely, just how it's supposed to...and I'm not taking advantage of it. As if I've baked a batch of delicious cookies and nobody is wants to eat any.

That is a great analogy, AMC!

Welcome to LtlFirecracker and S&I! Good luck with the TTC adventure! I'll be rooting for you from the sidelines!

MP- I am often surprised at how much I misunderstood fertility as a young person. Spend so much time worrying about getting pregnant when the whole time its a lot more difficult than my 18 year old self would think. I shudder to think about how many pee sticks I wasted because I thought I might be pregnant when there was probably little to no chance! I will be 30 when I start TTC and I wonder the same thing you're wondering now about the fertile 20s. My fingers are crossed so hard for you to get your BFP this cycle! If you feel good wishes coming from the Bay Area, then they're from me!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock

Missy - I think you made me realize I have a lot of lingo to learn. I am not using an OPK, so I guess we are temping? I am tracking my cycles and looking at changes in my body. I am going to give that 1-2 more months and if that does not work, I think I am going to start using the fancy graphs I see in this thread and maybe do the OPK. I don't know, maybe it is because I am in healthcare, and do medical stuff everyday, but I am really trying to not "medicalize" this process too much if possible. But I will if I have too.

S&I - Welcome to you as well. I will be interested to see how things go for you since we came at the same time. Thanks for the reassurance about the b-day thing!

MonkeyPrincess - Thanks for the warm welcome. It sounds like me and you are in a similar situation. I know that the timing of infertility evals are based on the woman's age, which means we will have to try for a year before me and my husband can get checked out. That is kind of frustrating, but the way things are right now. I really hope that you have a BFP well before you need to get things checked out! I would hope that by September, you doctor would be willing to either do an evaluation or refer you for one! Standard of care is one year, but if he/she refers you, it may take a couple of months to get an apt which would take you to the 1 year point.

Clairtek - Thanks. I have had that thought about waisted eggs. But I think of it this way, there is no way I would want that many babies!!! I think of all of those eggs as a potential, but the timing has got to be right!

OK you have all convinced me, I am not going to worry about the B-day thing and hopefully this month will bring success!

S&I

Brilliant_Rock

Clairitek, thanks for the warm welcome. Your big 2012 trip to Tuscany will be awesome!

LtlFirecracker, thanks for the warm welcome too. I am also looking forward to comparing our stories since we're the same age. You might want to consider talking to your OB about getting tested earlier if you are worried. My OB told me to call her if nothing happened after trying for 6 months because I was already over 30.

ChinaCat, I use an app called FemCal, and also recently downloaded the FF app as well. So far, my charts are similar with regards to showing me when I ovulated.

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks everyone for the replies on the apps. I downloaded a few free ones but they seem not too helpful without the temping, etc, so we'll see. I will report back if I find a great one.

So I was not at all planning on joining this thread, but seeing as how the first thing I did this morning when I turned on my computer was check this thread, I guess maybe I'll introduce myself and see how it goes.

This will be my second go-round on this thread- I have a son, Oliver, who will be 2 on August 18. I had a relatively short stay the first time (went off BCP in August, first period in September, got pregnant in November 2008) and really didn't do much other than obsessively read this thread and try to GOTF (do you still say that here?) as much as possible. :cheeky:

For those concerned about age-yes, it's always a factor, but I got preggo the first time when I was 34, delivered at 35 and had an easy breezy pregnancy and delivery (relatively ;))). I'm 37 now and of course I am a bit more wary. I have 5 BFF's who all had their first kids at 34/35 and 3 have had #2 at 37/38 and all with no complications. Hope that gives you some hope!

I really loved the support I found on this thread and the pregnancy/newborn threads so excited to watch all of you go through this. I look forward to getting to know you!

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock

S&I, welcome to you!!! I think you'll really like using the OPK's!

Missy, great idea to get some BD'ing in early! It only takes once!!!

Ltlfirecracker, welcome to you! IF you ever decide to try OPK's I think you would be really happy with them. You just pee on them once or twice a day and it gives you a reading to let you know whether or not ovulation is approaching! Good Luck! Oh and I wouldn't worry too much about the due date. Sometimes it takes awhile before you get pregnant so I would hate for you to not try this month to avoid a certain due date.

Clairitek, I hear you on the OPK's. I have fun with them actually. I get super duper excited when the two lines and a :)) arrive!!!

Chinacat, welcome! I also have a two year old son! I hope you get that BFP real quick like you did last time around!

Monkey, how many dpo are you now?

AFM, I am considering today O day. I did get another :)) this morning. I'll do another test this evening. I only have the cheapies left but at least it will give me an idea on whether the line is lightening up now. We BD'd last night and plan to tonight! I hope this is our cycle ladies!!!!

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock

Yay Lizzy - you guys are covering your bases well as usual!! Hope this is the cycle too!

ChinaCat - woo hoo, glad to see you're joining this thread - you've got nothing to worry about on the age. I had #1 35/36 (pregnant and delivery) and this one 38/39. Totally boring pregnancies (so far). Excited for you!!

S&I

Brilliant_Rock

lizzyann, thanks! I think the OPKs should be delivered today. I'm such a dork - I love getting packages in the mail. Have fun tonight, and I hope you catch that egg!!!

janinegirly, thanks for the reassurance about the age factor. One of my aunts had #3 at age 40, and a couple of my coworkers had their first and only around age 37, so I know it is possible. How far along are you now?

Hubby decided he wanted to BD last night and asked me if it was a green light or a red light. :lol: Since I am only on CD6 today, I told him it was probably a little bit too early, but we could still practice. Last week, I also caught him thumbing through my copy of TCOYF because I leave it on the side table in the living room. It looks like he is embracing this more now - yay!

amc80

Ideal_Rock

Welcome to all of the delurkers! This thread is hoppin'!

Well, my temp stayed down and the OPK was still negative. It was my last test, too. So I'm debating whether or not to go get some more (but probably non-digis) or just rely on temping this month.

July chart.JPG

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock

Lizzy, I hope this is your month too! Sounds like your timing has been excellent, and considering how easily you have conceived in the past, I have a good feeling about it. Crossing my fingers that this time around you have a high quality egg that turns into a sticky, sticky bean! Oh, and I’m about 4dpo I think. I am not temping anymore, so I’m not exactly sure when I ovulated. My expectations are pretty tempered this time around. I’m doing everything I can to stay busy and keeps my thoughts elsewhere.

Welcome ChinaCat, it’s hard to stay away from this thread isn’t it? Hopefully your stay this time around will be just as short or shorter than it was last time around. It’s comforting to hear that you had no trouble getting pregnant at 34, as I hope to have 2-3 children (although, at this point, I would settle for just one baby if I could ever get pregnant!)

S&I, that’s cute your DH was looking at TCOYF. My husband just sighs and shakes his head every time he sees me looking at it or citing to it : ) He wants a baby, but he would prefer not to hear about all of the nitty gritty details.

Firecracker, I completely get not wanting “over-medicalize” TTC, especially since you are in the healthcare industry. Sort of takes all the magic and romance out of it, but if you are still unsuccessful after a few months, using OPKs and temping are really comforting if you are at all concerned about if and when you are ovulating.

amc, because temping worked well for you last cycle and you had a clear shift, you probably don’t need to rush out and get more OPKs, unless you really want to. Whatever you decide to do, just make sure you are more careful than last month – you don’t want any more scares before your wedding and cruise, especially after you just bought your beautiful wedding gown : )

Missy, did you get a positive OPK yet?

Missy0483

Brilliant_Rock

No, no positive OPK yet...I don't think this is considered dark enough yet. But I think it's getting there :) The two today (CD20 AM and AN) were from 7:30am and 1pm. Gonna convince DH for more BD tonight just in case...I'm sure it won't take much! :tongue: I've been testing in the morning, afternoon, and evening because I'm paranoid I'm gonna miss it. I was complaining about paying for monthly BC towards the end, and now here I am going through these OPKs like a crazy person!

Also, welcome ChinaCat and S&I!!

Missyalmostthere.jpg

amc80

Ideal_Rock

Missy, that's getting pretty darn close!! I would guess you have maybe 24-36 hours? Maybe even less seeing how you built up to that color so fast.

Money- I agree. I don't need the OPKs assuming my temp shifts someday soon. Remember how I had all of those crazy positive OPKs the month before last (before I was charting)? I'm wondering if that's what is going on this month. The brand I was using (CVS) are known to be more sensitive than other brands. Last month I "only" got three days of positives on them and two days of :)) on the digi. So I'm wondering if I would have been getting positives on the CVS ones the past few days.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results