shape
carat
color
clarity

The Match Game: match the correct pictures to this diamond?

rockjock1

Rough_Rock
Ok diamond coming in today. Had to get shipped to vendor from wholesaler first.. I received the first set of photos from the wholesaler and asked the vendor to take new pics before shipping to me. As they first sent me the same exact photos as previously provided, I asked them to retake and send before shipping. Top pics are the first set (no real image in 2nd set) To me they are not of the same stone (2nd looks "too good"?), and also quite possible neither set is accurate, Given the specs below what are your thoughts? Thx

IS:
idealscope_image_0.jpg
new_is.jpg
ASET
aset_image.jpg
new_as.jpg

REal (only part of first set)
real_image_0.jpg

Measurements: 7.15 - 7.16 x 4.37 mm
Carat Weight: 1.37
Clarity Grade: VVS2
Cut Grade: Excellent
Polish: VG
Symmetry: EX
Fluorescence: Faint
cutlet: none
Girdle: Med 3.5%
Table: 57.0%
Depth: 61.1%
Crown Angle: 34
Pavilion Angle: 40.8
Crown Height: 14.5%
Pavilion depth: 43%
Star: 50%
Lower half:80

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Re: The Match Game: match the correct pictures to this diamo

Verifying images is another one of the challenges in shopping virtual inventories. Pure speculation but there do appear to be two different sets of images here. The larger images seem to fit the specs of the stone details. 80% lower halfs will make the arrows slightly slimmer. The small images seem like those of a stone more in the 75% range. Also appears to be a slight bit of painting that is consistent with the large images and not present on the small ones.

Downsy

Shiny_Rock

Hi Bryan! This is downsy you've helped me on diamond review with my brillianteered diamond! I noticed you said the diamond images appear to have painting. Can you tell me what that looks like on those images. I'm curious! Sorry for the hijack rockjack!

rockjock1

Rough_Rock

I had been thinking the same thing with respect to lower halfs being 80 % and trying to compare to pics online; yet given the GIA rounding I then thought possibly they were in the 77.5xx - 78+ range and the 2nd set could work?? Downsy, actually appreciate the hijack as that was my question as well. I'd love to hear more about identifying the painting and is this a concern? I almost looked further into a stone which GIA reduced to VG Cut due to brillianteering but specs were great otherwise along with the price. This GIA mentioned nothing.

In any event as I was typing I received her. Looks very bright and sparkling to my untrained eye. I forgot how small these actually are, my worries about choosing an eyeclean were not too worrisome after all (didn't plan on VVS2 but thought I got excellent relative value here) I have an appt Monday with an appraiser whom I'm hopeful can set this straight.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Downsy|1450457567|3963069 said:
Hi Bryan! This is downsy you've helped me on diamond review with my brillianteered diamond! I noticed you said the diamond images appear to have painting. Can you tell me what that looks like on those images. I'm curious! Sorry for the hijack rockjack!
Hi Downsy,
If you look carefully at the ASET images you will notice that the small image has 8 pronounced white diamond shape areas of leakage just above the upper girle facets. This is very typical of standard indexing. You will notice that in the larger image those areas are eliminated or minimized. Also, if you look on the perimeter the "rabbit ears" are elongated on the larger image. This is also consistent with a bit of painting.

This amount of painting is not a concern. Some diamonds are specifically cut to eliminate this small amount of leakage. It does reduce contrast to a small degree. But it will most likely not be noticeable unless you have a very discerning eye.

Downsy

Shiny_Rock

Thank you for pointing out what painting looks like on those images Bryan. So the painting on the larger image helped to decrease light leakage? Does that mean the diamond that corresponds to the smaller ASET image may exhibit a bit of leakage at the upper girdle?

Rockjock - I DID buy a diamond with brillianteering and have been wondering ever since if I made the right choice. I'll get it Christmas morning! So I've been trying to get educated on brillianteering ever since and have just found another diamond without brillianteering in my price range and it's being sent to me. It has a shallow crown and I've been getting educated on that too. (thanks to Bryan and others on Diamond Review!) I'm glad you didn't mind my hijack!

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Downsy|1450462997|3963105 said:
Thank you for pointing out what painting looks like on those images Bryan. So the painting on the larger image helped to decrease light leakage? Does that mean the diamond that corresponds to the smaller ASET image may exhibit a bit of leakage at the upper girdle?
Yes, but that amount of leakage is essentially standard for even high precision ideal cuts. And it can be argued that certain types and amounts of strategic leakage such as this contributes positive contrast and actually enhances performance.

GIA has a fairly broad brush approach to penalizing non-standard brillianteering (painting and digging out), and the fact that the overall cut grade is Excellent indicates that any deviation from standard facet direction in the upper or lower half facets is minor.

rockjock1

Rough_Rock

Hello, just thought I'd follow up as I was able to view the stone in an H&A viewer, Tried to take pictures attached..thoughts? the arrows one was poorly taken (there are no arrows missing) I wised up on the the Hearts images. My local jeweler of choice told me he would try to verify with ideal scope/aset etc yet was strung out with xmas rush and closed this week unfortunately so no presentation ring, at least I save the hassle and perhaps a few $$. file_002_0.jpg file_000.jpg copy_of_file_001.jpg

Downsy- I hope things worked out for you. We are all trying to get the best diamonds possible. At the end of the day, I am learning that if we narrowed down the selection based on specs,pictures, our eyes and head (and wallet for that matter) just go for it and enjoy it knowing the rock is better than 99% of our peers. Wish I could take my own advice though :wall:

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Mmmm. Yummy. Can't wait to see hand shots!! :lickout:

Downsy

Shiny_Rock

Rockjack, sorry just now seeing your post. I wound up returning the diamond with brillianteering, not because of that but because I also had a 2nd choice loose diamond sent to compare and I chose it instead. They were both beautiful, but the loose stone was brighter and slightly larger. I had to let go of my desire to have perfection and chose one based on what I liked to "my eye"! It's not a hearts and arrows but a nice triple x that is sparkly! I'm sure your chosen diamond is beautiful!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results