carat
color
clarity

The LIW Small Talk Thread

audball

Ideal_Rock
star sparkle|1354826861|3324682 said:
pandabee|1354826239|3324658 said:
We haven't talked names yet, and tbh I don't have many thought of past girl names. I will be so disappointed if I don't have a girl because I have way more names I want for girls than I do for boys.

See, we were the opposite! Boy names were SOOO much easier and we have a whole list of names we like. Girl names were so much harder.
They're both extremely challenging for us. He just loves all these currently uber popular names. He has a pretty common last name and a completely common name beginning to end will just not work for me. It has to be something at least a little different.

MBKRH

Brilliant_Rock
I had another dream about e-rings, kind of. M had told me I'd get my ring in 3-6 weeks (guess that had to do with the infomercials I was watching last night) :lol: and then Madelise got her ring for Christmas.

So random.

Chewbacca

Brilliant_Rock
I also dreamt about erings, MBK! Actually diamonds - I was looking at OEC's before bed and they followed me into sleep. It was great!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL! I'm glad we're not the only couple thinking of baby names!!! I have an extensive list of 'backups', in case my first choices don't happen because of whatever reason. We bounce names off each other quite often. I love the name Persephone or Penelope, but he doesn't like either. ;( Our top boy name for the last few years is an uncommon Italian first name, with a more common American name as the middle. Top girl name is common American first, less common French name for middle. Those two have stuck. We've wavered on our backups and choices for second children.

Aud, what do you feel about uncommon spellings? lol! I had a Nowah the other day at work. :confused: :?: :!: I love the name Noah, by the way, maybe I should toss that on our potential names list.

MBKRH, if I get it for Christmas, you have ESP!! But stupid holiday commercials, right? Even SO mentioned something about them when we watched our 100th jewelry/proposal commercial on Hulu. :wacko:

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Haha...3 to 6 weeks and you will receive your awesome *insert as seen on tv product*...even better if it was a ring!

At work today, I heard a girl talking about how she liked the "old mine" diamonds and I got so excited!!! She was explaining to another coworker that she liked them because they were imperfect and a little different and I was all "yeah, because they were cut by candlelight back in the day so they are a little wonky sometimes!" Boom, way to drop some knowledge. Then I almost told her about looking up PS but then I thought I would seem too crazy :knockout:

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
pandabee|1355085657|3326978 said:
Haha...3 to 6 weeks and you will receive your awesome *insert as seen on tv product*...even better if it was a ring!

At work today, I heard a girl talking about how she liked the "old mine" diamonds and I got so excited!!! She was explaining to another coworker that she liked them because they were imperfect and a little different and I was all "yeah, because they were cut by candlelight back in the day so they are a little wonky sometimes!" Boom, way to drop some knowledge. Then I almost told her about looking up PS but then I thought I would seem too crazy :knockout:

Hah, she prob already found PS. It's cool, I would never tell anyone IRL about Pricescope except a few select ones. I share a lot of personal stuff here, and don't want to point them this way! Only the few GFs that know I have a ring made already, know about PS. The rest of 'em can find PS from their own sweat and tears.. and research :naughty: :naughty:

Maybe ya'll can be IRL bling buddies!! She's going to DIE when she sees your ring.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1355086866|3326998 said:

Hah, she prob already found PS. It's cool, I would never tell anyone IRL about Pricescope except a few select ones. I share a lot of personal stuff here, and don't want to point them this way! Only the few GFs that know I have a ring made already, know about PS. The rest of 'em can find PS from their own sweat and tears.. and research :naughty: :naughty:

Maybe ya'll can be IRL bling buddies!! She's going to DIE when she sees your ring.

Haha true. Probably not because of some of the other off-hand comments she said but meh. She probably will eventually if she keeps looking hard enough ;)) I was working in a different department of the hospital today and she is applying for grad schools so I probably won't see her again after I get my ring lol

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
pandabee|1355087367|3327011 said:
madelise|1355086866|3326998 said:

Haha true. Probably not because of some of the other off-hand comments she said but meh. She probably will eventually if she keeps looking hard enough ;)) I was working in a different department of the hospital today and she is applying for grad schools so I probably won't see her again after I get my ring lol

Oh boo. A "meh" person that you can't shove an AVC to? :lol:

audball

Ideal_Rock
MBKRH|1355059875|3326762 said:
I had another dream about e-rings, kind of. M had told me I'd get my ring in 3-6 weeks (guess that had to do with the infomercials I was watching last night) :lol: and then Madelise got her ring for Christmas.

So random.
Premonitions!? :Up_to_something:

audball

Ideal_Rock
Chewbacca|1355082648|3326947 said:
I also dreamt about erings, MBK! Actually diamonds - I was looking at OEC's before bed and they followed me into sleep. It was great!
What a lovely dream! :))

audball

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1355083437|3326956 said:
LOL! I'm glad we're not the only couple thinking of baby names!!! I have an extensive list of 'backups', in case my first choices don't happen because of whatever reason. We bounce names off each other quite often. I love the name Persephone or Penelope, but he doesn't like either. ;( Our top boy name for the last few years is an uncommon Italian first name, with a more common American name as the middle. Top girl name is common American first, less common French name for middle. Those two have stuck. We've wavered on our backups and choices for second children.

Aud, what do you feel about uncommon spellings? lol! I had a Nowah the other day at work. :confused: :?: :!: I love the name Noah, by the way, maybe I should toss that on our potential names list.

MBKRH, if I get it for Christmas, you have ESP!! But stupid holiday commercials, right? Even SO mentioned something about them when we watched our 100th jewelry/proposal commercial on Hulu. :wacko:
Oh baby names are so fun! It's all in good fun. So far, we haven't got any that we both really love. There are 2 names we both *like* (one boy, one girl) but neither are even close to my faves.

I personally HATE uncommon spellings. Hate. I prefer the most common/traditional spelling of names. I also prefer names that are spelled like they sound. Exceptions for ones that are known (ie: Noah is a known spelling and is a traditional name, not spelled like it sounds, but it doesn't matter because everyone knows how to spell it). Not sure if I'm making sense? It makes sense in my head! Hah. And you know A's last name...I'm really concerned that it's commonality will make it harder for us to choose first names. I do not want our future kid(dos) to be one of a zillion Amanda HisLastNames. Something unique/different, that is a traditional spelling, and is spelled how it looks (if possible without being weird).

audball

Ideal_Rock

How fun! Most girls who know something about old cuts have already found PS or some type of diamond education site! They are certainly not things that run of the mill jewelers have ANY knowledge of!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
audball|1355092858|3327109 said:
madelise|1355083437|3326956 said:

Oh baby names are so fun! It's all in good fun. So far, we haven't got any that we both really love. There are 2 names we both *like* (one boy, one girl) but neither are even close to my faves.

I personally HATE uncommon spellings. Hate. I prefer the most common/traditional spelling of names. I also prefer names that are spelled like they sound. Exceptions for ones that are known (ie: Noah is a known spelling and is a traditional name, not spelled like it sounds, but it doesn't matter because everyone knows how to spell it). Not sure if I'm making sense? It makes sense in my head! Hah. And you know A's last name...I'm really concerned that it's commonality will make it harder for us to choose first names. I do not want our future kid(dos) to be one of a zillion Amanda HisLastNames. Something unique/different, that is a traditional spelling, and is spelled how it looks (if possible without being weird).

What about semi-ethnic names? With pop culture, ethnic names are getting quite popular. I'd name a particular girl name
, but we both know someone we don't like with that first name, if you can imagine which one I mean :naughty: I love Arabic, Latin, and French rooted names. Something a bit ethnic would help balance out A's last name ;)) I agree with you, I'm a fan for traditional spelling.

Names from literature? Atticus. Names from mythology? The Bible?

audball

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1355106298|3327219 said:
What about semi-ethnic names? With pop culture, ethnic names are getting quite popular. I'd name a particular girl name
, but we both know someone we don't like with that first name, if you can imagine which one I mean :naughty: I love Arabic, Latin, and French rooted names. Something a bit ethnic would help balance out A's last name ;)) I agree with you, I'm a fan for traditional spelling.

Names from literature? Atticus. Names from mythology? The Bible?
Meh - not a huge fan of ethnic names or anything that's too out there. Biblical names are up for consideration...if we can find one we both like. I like Abram, but Andrew doesn't.

cygnet

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Our first son has to be named Dirk. It's the family tradition that the first son in the family names his first son after the grandfather, so all of the first sons in his family are named either Gerrit or Dirk (my guy is a Gerrit). I was totally fine with this plan until a friend pointed out that Dirk sounds like "derp," and now I'm going to call my kid "derp" on accident. Anyway, Dirk is kind of an old fashioned name and it would sound really stupid if our last name were something like Smith, but the last name is actually very Dutch and sounds really good with Dirk.

Tonight I'm really cranky. I took my crankiness out on... well, I don't know exactly what i punished with my crankiness but somehow I thought that throwing an entire stick of butter into the frying pan with my barramundi fillet would make me feel better. I guess it did, sort of. I mean, who doesn't like butter?

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
cygnet|1355201540|3328265 said:
Our first son has to be named Dirk. It's the family tradition that the first son in the family names his first son after the grandfather, so all of the first sons in his family are named either Gerrit or Dirk (my guy is a Gerrit). I was totally fine with this plan until a friend pointed out that Dirk sounds like "derp," and now I'm going to call my kid "derp" on accident. Anyway, Dirk is kind of an old fashioned name and it would sound really stupid if our last name were something like Smith, but the last name is actually very Dutch and sounds really good with Dirk.

Tonight I'm really cranky. I took my crankiness out on... well, I don't know exactly what i punished with my crankiness but somehow I thought that throwing an entire stick of butter into the frying pan with my barramundi fillet would make me feel better. I guess it did, sort of. I mean, who doesn't like butter?

Herp derp! So what happens when there are multiple dirks and gerrits? Like, Mom A and Dad A have Son A, Son B, and Son C. Son A names first son Dirk. Son B names first son Gerrit. Son C then has to repeat the name? So there are cousins with the same names? Or can they choose a grandfather from the maternal side, as well, to throw in some mixture?

boysenberry

Rough_Rock
I've had multiple dreams about rings but they have all been a little nightmare-ish because the ring was not what I wanted, or just plain strange. Last time it was a ring that was only half a circle. I don't even know how it stayed on my finger, but it was ugly and, well, incomplete! But then I wake up and realized my beautiful ring is waiting for me :) I just have to waiiiitt sigh

audball

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1355256634|3328741 said:
Herp derp! So what happens when there are multiple dirks and gerrits? Like, Mom A and Dad A have Son A, Son B, and Son C. Son A names first son Dirk. Son B names first son Gerrit. Son C then has to repeat the name? So there are cousins with the same names? Or can they choose a grandfather from the maternal side, as well, to throw in some mixture?
Yes! I'm interested too!

I have a love/hate relationship with family names. On one hand, it's a sweet tradition that unites people together in an obvious way. On the other, it sometimes forces people to name their children something they may not want to/may not like in the name of tradition.

audball

Ideal_Rock
boysenberry|1355257877|3328765 said:
I've had multiple dreams about rings but they have all been a little nightmare-ish because the ring was not what I wanted, or just plain strange. Last time it was a ring that was only half a circle. I don't even know how it stayed on my finger, but it was ugly and, well, incomplete! But then I wake up and realized my beautiful ring is waiting for me :) I just have to waiiiitt sigh
Ditto...we are all waiting! Bleh!

Weird dream!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
boysenberry|1355257877|3328765 said:

Haha, a half ring?! Man, our minds work funny..!

MBKRH

Brilliant_Rock
I loved the idea of creating names from both of the parents' names.

I went to school with a girl named Karlen.
Her mom's name was Karen, her dad was Lenny (or Leonard, whatever).

If I were to have kids, my name and M's would NOT work though. Not. At. All. :lol:

audball

Ideal_Rock
Interesting...hmm. I guess that could work for our names. Andrina? Hah. Not sure I like that, but I guess it works!
Sabrew isn't so nice though! ;-)

ETA: opps! I didn't realize it was the parents names. Hmm...not sure that would work for us...

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
audball|1355696708|3332927 said:
Interesting...hmm. I guess that could work for our names. Andrina? Hah. Not sure I like that, but I guess it works!
Sabrew isn't so nice though! ;-)

ETA: opps! I didn't realize it was the parents names. Hmm...not sure that would work for us...

No I think you did that right. What about audrina!

MBKRH

Brilliant_Rock
It wouldn't work for me, either.
some variations...

Hema or Mahe

Otherwise,
Hatt
Meidi
Maidi

LOL

audball

Ideal_Rock
pandabee|1355708951|3333059 said:
No I think you did that right. What about audrina!
That is different!

audball

Ideal_Rock
MBKRH|1355710586|3333092 said:
some variations...

Hema or Mahe

Otherwise,
Hatt
Meidi
Maidi

LOL
Me thinks I knows your BFs name now!! :naughty: Hahah.

MBKRH

Brilliant_Rock
audball|1355754898|3333379 said:
MBKRH|1355710586|3333092 said:
some variations...

Hema or Mahe

Otherwise,
Hatt
Meidi
Maidi

LOL
Me thinks I knows your BFs name now!! :naughty: Hahah.
:naughty

Lol yeah I realized it would be figured out after that post.

audball

Ideal_Rock
MBKRH|1355768120|3333506 said:
:naughty:

Lol yeah I realized it would be figured out after that post.
:lol: Yay

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha, I've thought about the mixing of names before! The closest name-like thing that sounds like it's half of either of our names is Sullivan.. but I've never heard of it being used as a first name.

In fact, I tried convincing SO to change his last name to Sullivan. No can do.

We had a convo about last names again yesterday. We often do. He knows I hate his last name. I'd rather we pass his first name on as the family/last name to our children. I just hate the ethnic-y-ness of it, and how $hitty it's been to be his ethnicity post-9/11. He agreed that we should stay away from ethnic names for our kids, as he has been targeted even in our very liberal home state. He suggested if we have sons, they take my last name. If we have daughters, they take his, and at least get a chance to change their names through marriage later in their lives. I am still not happy. I love my last name, as I feel strongly about it being part of my identity, but at the same time, I realized how unattached I am to it in a familial sense. I was not raised by my father, or his side of the family. I have no true love or regard for them. I want to keep my last name for ME, but I don't want to pass it to our kids.

I'm positive this conversation will not end until the hospital forces us to write a name on the birth certificate for our children. Haha. Darn it! Why can't we have cool last names that are unique, but not highlighted to be stereotyped as terrorists? :(sad Maybe I'll name us all OchoCinco. HEHEHEH!!

boysenberry

Rough_Rock
madelise|1355778803|3333658 said:
Haha, I've thought about the mixing of names before! The closest name-like thing that sounds like it's half of either of our names is Sullivan.. but I've never heard of it being used as a first name.

In fact, I tried convincing SO to change his last name to Sullivan. No can do.

We had a convo about last names again yesterday. We often do. He knows I hate his last name. I'd rather we pass his first name on as the family/last name to our children. I just hate the ethnic-y-ness of it, and how $hitty it's been to be his ethnicity post-9/11. He agreed that we should stay away from ethnic names for our kids, as he has been targeted even in our very liberal home state. He suggested if we have sons, they take my last name. If we have daughters, they take his, and at least get a chance to change their names through marriage later in their lives. I am still not happy. I love my last name, as I feel strongly about it being part of my identity, but at the same time, I realized how unattached I am to it in a familial sense. I was not raised by my father, or his side of the family. I have no true love or regard for them. I want to keep my last name for ME, but I don't want to pass it to our kids.

I'm positive this conversation will not end until the hospital forces us to write a name on the birth certificate for our children. Haha. Darn it! Why can't we have cool last names that are unique, but not highlighted to be stereotyped as terrorists? :(sad Maybe I'll name us all OchoCinco. HEHEHEH!!

Ooh I actually love first names that are or sound like last names - very clean and classy IMO. But maybe you can both just adopt a new last name for yourselves and your future children... I don't know about giving sons and daughters different last names - going to school together might be difficult (kids are cruel) and why put that pressure on your daughter to have to get married to change her name? Seems unfair that you let one child be discriminated against but "protect" the other one. Obviously that isn't what you are aiming to do, but they might feel that way.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results