color
clarity

The LIW Small Talk Thread

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/5/2010 12:45:14 PM
Author: Callisto
Morning all. Monday morning at work and I'm already bored... work is so slow this month. We're moving our entire lab into a new building in about 2 months though so that will be a mess, I guess I should be thankful I'm not ripping my hair out yet.

Anything exciting going on this week for anyone?
B and I took a class together this weekend that was lots of fun. It was 125 miles away (2 1/2 hour drive each way) and lasted all day (10-5:30). We spent the last 3 hours outside -- in the snow.

today -- 1st day of classes this quarter (online only again)
Friday -- Shabbat dinner with a bunch of people

ETA: Just re-read my post and it sounds like I'm being sarcastic about liking the class -- We both really liked the class and will be going back to the same people for other things later. Even with the snow (and numb hands & feet), it was a great bunch of people who really know their stuff and just a great experience.

Callisto

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/5/2010 1:23:46 PM
Author: TooPatient

Morning all. Monday morning at work and I''m already bored... work is so slow this month. We''re moving our entire lab into a new building in about 2 months though so that will be a mess, I guess I should be thankful I''m not ripping my hair out yet.

B and I took a class together this weekend that was lots of fun. It was 125 miles away (2 1/2 hour drive each way) and lasted all day (10-5:30). We spent the last 3 hours outside -- in the snow.

ETA: Just re-read my post and it sounds like I''m being sarcastic about liking the class -- We both really liked the class and will be going back to the same people for other things later. Even with the snow (and numb hands & feet), it was a great bunch of people who really know their stuff and just a great experience.

What was your class for/about? Maybe you''ve mentioned them earlier but I didn''t see anything about classes you take.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/5/2010 1:38:31 PM

Morning all. Monday morning at work and I''m already bored... work is so slow this month. We''re moving our entire lab into a new building in about 2 months though so that will be a mess, I guess I should be thankful I''m not ripping my hair out yet.

ETA: Just re-read my post and it sounds like I''m being sarcastic about liking the class -- We both really liked the class and will be going back to the same people for other things later. Even with the snow (and numb hands & feet), it was a great bunch of people who really know their stuff and just a great experience.

What was your class for/about? Maybe you''ve mentioned them earlier but I didn''t see anything about classes you take.
My school classes that start today are pre-calculus and technical writing. I''m starting my 2nd quarter heading for a Bachelor''s or Master''s in computer engineering.

The class this weeked that we took together isn''t part of school. It was just something that sounded interesting (plus a pre-requisite for the more advanced courses they teach at this place).
This one was Fundamentals of Handgun Safety. 3 hours in classroom followed by 3 hours shooting in their outdoor range and then back to the classroom for wrap up.
Lots of fun. There was just something so satisfying about making a little hole in the center of the target each time.
We went to the range (the one right near us) the next day and I got to make my little hole in the center again a 3, 5, and 7 yards. It''ll be so great when I can do it at 25.

Callisto

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/5/2010 2:00:52 PM

My school classes that start today are pre-calculus and technical writing. I''m starting my 2nd quarter heading for a Bachelor''s or Master''s in computer engineering.

The class this weeked that we took together isn''t part of school. It was just something that sounded interesting (plus a pre-requisite for the more advanced courses they teach at this place).

This one was Fundamentals of Handgun Safety. 3 hours in classroom followed by 3 hours shooting in their outdoor range and then back to the classroom for wrap up.

Lots of fun. There was just something so satisfying about making a little hole in the center of the target each time.

We went to the range (the one right near us) the next day and I got to make my little hole in the center again a 3, 5, and 7 yards. It''ll be so great when I can do it at 25.

Ahhh that''s a cool class. A few of my friends went to a shooting range as a date the other weekend and said it was really fun. I''ve never shot anything bigger than a bb gun myself and would probably never own a gun, but I think it''d be interesting to learn to use one.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The class was my 2nd time shooting and I did very well. (which was a pleasant shock to me)

Forgetting the benefits/problems that people can debate all day, it really is a lot of fun to see how accurate you can get. (like golf or whatever)
The basic safety course was really a good idea. They cover how to clear mis-feeds and other problems as well as safe handling instructions (mostly common sense, but some tips that I hadn''t really thought about) and then you go to the range and actually apply the lessons. They had enough instructors that we were in groups of 6 on the range and from there, split into 3 groups so only two people per instructor were shooting at a time. Lots of one on one attention and tips.
(The class was only $50 and most places have women-only classes as an option -- and so you can stay practice, some ranges let women shoot for free one day a week)

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/5/2010 2:18:16 PM

Date: 4/5/2010 2:00:52 PM

Ahhh that''s a cool class. A few of my friends went to a shooting range as a date the other weekend and said it was really fun. I''ve never shot anything bigger than a bb gun myself and would probably never own a gun, but I think it''d be interesting to learn to use one.
Great date!

Even if you never want to own one, it would benefit you to learn the basics of how to use one. (Other than being lots of fun to learn) if your friends own them or you are ever around them it is a good idea to know a little about how they are used for your own safety. (not that your friends would ever be irresponsible, just that you never know what may happen -- you could be on a camping trip together and someone ask you to get a gun from the tent for them before a hike or whatever)

Don''t let guys scare you off. I had been told by several men (not to mention countless movies) that handguns are super powerful and difficult for women to use and if I really wanted to learn, I should stick to a revolver with small ammunition. Because women are "meak" and can''t handle anything else.
20.gif

I am using a Glock 22 (full sized semi-automatic handgun) with 40S&W (non-wimpy) ammunition. I''m not the strongest woman out there (in fact, I''ve got arm strength issues) and had NO problem managing it.

Callisto

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah they really enjoyed the date. Her reason for wanting to do it is sooo funny too. She's basically a walking "Worst Case Scenario" book.

She has all these crazy hypothetical situations that she comes up with and then educates herself on how to survive in them haha. The one that prompted the shooting range for example was that what if she was in a bank robbery or some other bad situation and ended up with a gun in front of her, she needed to know how to use it. Hahaha while I think the foundation of her paranoia is great and influences her to learn a lot of different things the stories she comes up with are hilarious!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/5/2010 4:52:52 PM
Yeah they really enjoyed the date. Her reason for wanting to do it is sooo funny too. She''s basically a walking ''Worst Case Scenario'' book.

She has all these crazy hypothetical situations that she comes up with and then educates herself on how to survive in them haha. The one that prompted the shooting range for example was that what if she was in a bank robbery or some other bad situation and ended up with a gun in front of her, she needed to know how to use it. Hahaha while I think the foundation of her paranoia is great and influences her to learn a lot of different things the stories she comes up with are hilarious!
Hopefully she never needs to use anything she''s learning but I suppose crazy stuff (like the mountain lion attack they show on the Amazon link) happens to someone.

ETA: we went camping 2 summers ago and had bear tracks outside our tent in the morning -- big bear paw prints & baby bear paw prints. (and I DID call ahead and talk to the ranger to verify that we were going before the bears would be out in the area -- he said we would be fine, they wouldn''t be around for another month or more).

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
so.
up at 4 am today. i officially hate house sitting animals.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/6/2010 7:16:51 AM
Author: jcarlylew
so.
Gross. You get up way to early. It makes me queasy.

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/6/2010 8:57:31 AM
Author: elledizzy5

Date: 4/6/2010 7:16:51 AM
so.
Gross. You get up way to early. It makes me queasy.
this was not by choice. stupid dogs whining all.night.long.
i got up and tried to sleep on the floor in the computer room (with dogs) so e could sleep. and he''s not going into work today (sick, and tired, no doubt).

consider me grumpy.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
I would have turned them loose! Okay I wouldn''t have, but I''d be very angry!

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
thats the weird thing. greyhounds can sleep and sleep ALL DAY LONG but not at 3 in the moring aparently.
i think tonight i am going to give them free range of the living room and see if that works better.

AND to top it off i had a horrible dream that E was talking to me while at work and i overheard a car crashing into their job site. Thank goodness he was actually next to me
40.gif

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Scary dream!!
32.gif

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/6/2010 11:07:17 AM
Author: sunnyd
Scary dream!!
32.gif
yah. pretty much awful, and then makes me freak out when he works highway jobs.

arg.

did anyone read the story about the engagement (in Hangout)? totally made me tear up!

so, tell me something good.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/6/2010 11:11:10 AM

Date: 4/6/2010 11:07:17 AM
Author: sunnyd
Scary dream!!
32.gif
yah. pretty much awful, and then makes me freak out when he works highway jobs.

arg.

did anyone read the story about the engagement (in Hangout)? totally made me tear up!

so, tell me something good.
Ummm.... I''ve got nothing.

I don''t actually have an attention span today.

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/6/2010 12:44:47 PM

me neither.

Did i tell ya''ll that i bought mac makeup? I spent 80 bucks on stuff i never use... however i did attempt to put a face on today. Not sure that worked out so well but aparently i did it okay. My coworker is working on my eyes tomorrow to find the right look.

39 days.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/6/2010 1:23:20 PM

Date: 4/6/2010 12:44:47 PM

me neither.

Did i tell ya''ll that i bought mac makeup? I spent 80 bucks on stuff i never use... however i did attempt to put a face on today. Not sure that worked out so well but aparently i did it okay. My coworker is working on my eyes tomorrow to find the right look.

39 days.
What did you get?? I <3 Mac!

39 days.
6.gif
31.gif
9.gif

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
cover up, studio tech foundation, and powder (minerals).
It actually matches quite well, i jsut really need to get my eyebrows waxed off so they look better.

i''ll have eye pictures tomorrow :)

ya. 39 days. 38.5 days if you want to get technical.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eeeeeek!!!

Surprise audit in my office today. Internal guy just showed up this morning. Been here for 4 hours (so far) digging through paper files, internal computer stuff, and my desktop here.

Yikes.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/6/2010 2:24:54 PM
cover up, studio tech foundation, and powder (minerals).
It actually matches quite well, i jsut really need to get my eyebrows waxed off so they look better.

i''ll have eye pictures tomorrow :)

ya. 39 days. 38.5 days if you want to get technical.
Woohoo!! Wow that went by so fast!

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Hello ladies,

I mentioned not too long ago that I got an award for graduating top of my class at uni, well that award (which is now hanging framed on my wall
5.gif
) came with a small cash prize. I originally said I''d put it towards paying off my student debt but as I still don''t have a job or any other income it would more lilkly just end up sitting in my account and getting used for petrol and other stupid expenses.

So....I spent all the prize money on a little band to stack with my rhr. It''s still off being re-sized so no pics yet. It is wg with some teeny 1pt diamonds and some small natural pink sapphires. It''s really cute, I hope I still like it when it''s sized for my massive finger and out of the jewllery store lighting!

KittyGolightly

Brilliant_Rock
What a nice way to commemorate your achievement. Congrats!

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
oo pics needed!!

Yet another early morning for me! We are picking out our cake today :)

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/7/2010 10:02:13 AM
oo pics needed!!

Yet another early morning for me! We are picking out our cake today :)
Get chocolate!!! Hahaha who are you getting it from?

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock

GAH! ate my post... much like i will be eating cake.

anyways, flavors will be lemon creme & raspberry filling, and then a vanilla cake with butter creme frosting

inspiration for cake.JPG

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Are you doing the mini cakes?? Those are so cute!

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
most likely not since they are about $5 p/p but i love the multiple stripes they have going on. so i am thinking 3 tier with each layer having a diffferent pattern. oh, and no pearl drop boarder.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Damn those expensive mini cakes!
39.gif
They are so cool looking though. Love the stripes! Who''s making your cake?

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/7/2010 11:42:29 AM
most likely not since they are about $5 p/p but i love the multiple stripes they have going on. so i am thinking 3 tier with each layer having a diffferent pattern. oh, and no pearl drop boarder.
The tiered cake is so elegant and classic. (and sounds yummy)
1.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results