shape
carat
color
clarity

The hunt for an oval diamond ends today! Is this the stone?

DiamondDense

Shiny_Rock
Really hoping Gypsy and of course tyty333 weigh in. (I owe both of you a steak dinner or bottle of wine!)

I've made a couple threads and I hope that's not bothersome to anyone but this will be my largest and most important purchase to date.

Please weigh-in on the diamond below. This one was selected by the jeweler, still awaiting video. Only concern that jumps out at me is the table and depth. Seems to land in the Class 2A Cut Class...

Here goes:

14798323519644.jpg

14798322535311.jpg

14798322424160.jpg

14798322697973.jpg

14798322624372.jpg

Assuming the above looks OK, it will sit in a Vatche 1533 pave setting in platinum:

14798328763150.png

The hunt for an oval as a first time buyer has been taxing on me (and I'm sure all of you!) but I hope to cross the finish line today!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: The hunt for an oval diamond ends today! Is this the sto

Someone please help this guy!! :dance:

DiamondDense

Shiny_Rock

whitewave|1479848754|4101591 said:
Someone please help this guy!! :dance:
I like where your heads at :wavey:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hopefully, this post will grab someone's eye

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

This is the one that the GOG gemologist liked the best out of the 5 right? Sure would like to see a video of the stone.

DiamondDense

Shiny_Rock

tyty333|1479856340|4101629 said:
This is the one that the GOG gemologist liked the best out of the 5 right? Sure would like to see a video of the stone.
No tyty this is a different stone

The one GOG liked best had a medium yellow fluorescence that didn't sit well with me

I will get a video but does the ASET look promising?

Any concerns with the depth and table numbers?

Thanks for weighing in you're wonderful!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It looks ok...oval asets are not pretty :(sad . I cant read the table/depth but I care more about seeing a video of the stone.

Without a video I cant really give any more input...

DiamondDense

Shiny_Rock

tyty333|1479857151|4101634 said:
It looks ok...oval asets are not pretty :(sad . I cant read the table/depth but I care more about seeing a video of the stone.

Without a video I cant really give any more input...
I hope this helps!

https://youtu.be/F5s5Ov0cv2Q

gia_17.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Was this one of the 5 in the line up (or was there 6)?

Edit...or were all those out of the budget?

DiamondDense

Shiny_Rock

tyty333|1479919514|4101907 said:
I believe this is a completely different stone

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

DiamondDense|1479919567|4101909 said:

Were all those out of budget? I liked 4, 5 down and 5 up. I would not have let the yellow fluor bother me but if it was out of budget
thats something different.

DiamondDense

Shiny_Rock

tyty333|1479920116|4101915 said:
DiamondDense|1479919567|4101909 said:

Were all those out of budget? I liked 4, 5 down and 5 up. I would not have let the yellow fluor bother me but if it was out of budget
thats something different.

They all came in at over $7k just for the stone

Not sure maybe it was just mental on the yellow but I decided to nix it

Not a fan of this one I take it?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Well, I was hoping is was going to be one of their up close videos or a video in a stone holder like Jonathan does. This video is
still sort of far away and hard to really see the faceting pattern. I'm not getting a "wow, that really looks nice" feeling. What is
the cost on it?

Edit...I would ask him for an up close video in a gem holder.

DiamondDense

Shiny_Rock

tyty333|1479920901|4101925 said:
Well, I was hoping is was going to be one of their up close videos or a video in a stone holder like Jonathan does. This video is
still sort of far away and hard to really see the faceting pattern. I'm not getting a "wow, that really looks nice" feeling. What is
the cost on it?

Edit...I would ask him for an up close video in a gem holder.

i am requesting a closer video right now and will return shortly! i'm now officially up against the clock so i'm trying to work quick but still get a nice stone.

thanks!

EDIT:

Here are the two videos:

https://youtu.be/HYr7aK91bFY

https://youtu.be/-fJUIqqEvtE

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I guess if you are down to the wire there is not much you can do...what happens if you get it and its not as you expected?
Can you return it for a different stone?

DiamondDense

Shiny_Rock

tyty333|1479927338|4101956 said:
I guess if you are down to the wire there is not much you can do...what happens if you get it and its not as you expected?
Can you return it for a different stone?
I guess I'm not necessarily down to the wire. I do want it by Christmas and will be buying the stone and setting from this vendor so it shouldn't be an awful turn around time.

This is the "best" stone currently available according to the jeweler that fits my budget of $7k max.

I'm taking it you don't see much to recommend about it? If that's the case can you point out the flaws so I can bring them up with him?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi, I'm not an oval expert and have seen few IRL so keep that in mind when I share my opinion. It looks like a noticeable bowtie that would drive me nuts. To my eye it is not pleasing. BUT I could be totally off and maybe that isn't a bowtie but I don't like that darkened zone in the center of the oval that you can see in the videos.

Maybe most ovals have this? IDK but maybe there are ovals that have less of the darkened area in the center. I find it distracting and IMO it takes away from the beauty of the diamond.

I tried searching for an example of a pretty oval with less of that darkened area and while I know this is not in your budget nor is it a modern oval (which is what you are looking for I think) I thought I would add it here for you to check out anyway. I think it is super pretty with much less of that darkened center.

https://jewelsbygrace.smugmug.com/Loose-Diamonds/201-and-larger/222ct-Antique-Oval-Cut-Diamond/

If you are not crazy about it or if you are just unsure ask Yekutiel if he has one without that bowtie or even if he has any antique ovals to show you. They are so pretty and romantic and maybe you could be surer of your decision if you explore all the different types of possible ovals before you decide which one is best for you?

DiamondDense

Shiny_Rock

missy|1479989880|4102198 said:
Hi, I'm not an oval expert and have seen few IRL so keep that in mind when I share my opinion. It looks like a noticeable bowtie that would drive me nuts. To my eye it is not pleasing. BUT I could be totally off and maybe that isn't a bowtie but I don't like that darkened zone in the center of the oval that you can see in the videos.

Maybe most ovals have this? IDK but maybe there are ovals that have less of the darkened area in the center. I find it distracting and IMO it takes away from the beauty of the diamond.

I tried searching for an example of a pretty oval with less of that darkened area and while I know this is not in your budget nor is it a modern oval (which is what you are looking for I think) I thought I would add it here for you to check out anyway. I think it is super pretty with much less of that darkened center.

https://jewelsbygrace.smugmug.com/Loose-Diamonds/201-and-larger/222ct-Antique-Oval-Cut-Diamond/

If you are not crazy about it or if you are just unsure ask Yekutiel if he has one without that bowtie or even if he has any antique ovals to show you. They are so pretty and romantic and maybe you could be surer of your decision if you explore all the different types of possible ovals before you decide which one is best for you?
thanks so much Missy. i noticed that dark zone myself, but i couldn't tell if that was a bowtie or not.

the odd thing is the #1 trait i stressed was NO BOWTIE and this was the stone he most recommended.

i'm going to have him continue the search.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

DiamondDense|1480455207|4103536 said:
Ok if you haven't lost patience with me yet a few more stones to choose from:

https://youtu.be/UwkKvj1WFeU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWfjR8mhsMc&feature=share

https://youtu.be/Cdc3ZG6vGm0

Working on a video comparing all of them next to each other.

@tyty333 - still not impressed?

Ok, so now I have the other problem with these...I think they all looked promising!

Comments...
The first one (first video) looked very sparkly through the center.
The second one (second video) looked very sparkly throughout the stone (and not so much through middle...but still nice).
The third and forth stones (3rd video)...I liked both of them.

Are there any upclose pictures of these stones so that we can better see the faceting pattern? Any links to the stones?

DiamondDense

Shiny_Rock

tyty333|1480455904|4103539 said:
DiamondDense|1480455207|4103536 said:
Ok if you haven't lost patience with me yet a few more stones to choose from:

https://youtu.be/UwkKvj1WFeU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWfjR8mhsMc&feature=share

https://youtu.be/Cdc3ZG6vGm0

Working on a video comparing all of them next to each other.

@tyty333 - still not impressed?

Ok, so now I have the other problem with these...I think they all looked promising!

Comments...
The first one (first video) looked very sparkly through the center.
The second one (second video) looked very sparkly throughout the stone (and not so much through middle...but still nice).
The third and forth stones (3rd video)...I liked both of them.

Are there any upclose pictures of these stones so that we can better see the faceting pattern? Any links to the stones?

You are the BEST!

I actually think the stone on the right in the 3rd video is the stone that I began this thread with (I don't think you were thrilled with it initially)

I do have photos and ASETs of the others as well and will have a comparison video with all of them in one shot coming soon!

(Did I mention you rock?!)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Is that 1.21 G/VS1 in the 3rd video the one that he showed in this video? I think the numbers were the same...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5s5Ov0cv2Q

The reason I didnt like it in this video is that the bow-tie look rather dark...it seemed to never be not-dark.

In the 3rd video that you just posted, I dont see the bow-tie hardly at all...

Edit...just saw your above post...I figured that out and was quite shocked that they were the same stone because they look so
different in the videos...go look at that old video.

Edit...looking forward to the video with the 3 together and pictures

DiamondDense

Shiny_Rock

tyty333|1480456723|4103544 said:
Is that 1.21 G/VS1 in the 3rd video the one that he showed in this video? I think the numbers were the same...

The reason I didnt like it in this video is that the bow-tie look rather dark...it seemed to never be not-dark.

Edit...just saw your above post...I figured that out and was quite shocked that they were the same stone because they look so

and the comparison video is here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUIuImMgtMk&feature=youtu.be

DiamondDense

Shiny_Rock

and some images

GIA 2227424619 1.20 GVS2

gia_2227424619-officelight_black-01.jpg

gia_2227424619-aset_black__fancy_-01.jpg

gia_2227424619-aset_white-01.jpg

gia_2227424619-idealscope-01.jpg

GIA 7226406504 1.20 F VS2

gia_7226406504-officelight_black-01.jpg

gia_7226406504-aset_black__fancy_-01.jpg

gia_7226406504-aset_white-01.jpg

gia_7226406504-idealscope-01.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

DiamondDense|1480462955|4103564 said:

Nice! If you like bigger flashes go with the second stone...smaller flashes go with the 3rd stone. These 2 were my favorite after
a quick look...I have to run out today or I would stay and offer more but I know you need to order soon. My choice would be
between 2 and 3...good luck!

Edit...my delima is I tend to also like some bigger flashes which leads me to the second stone but I like the outline of the 3rd stone this stone is not for me though so you have to decide. Yekutiel favors the 3rd stone which is also a plus. I would call him and talk to him about those two stones and let him talk you through your decision.

Edit ...I think they are both beautiful choices. Just slightly different flavors.

DiamondDense

Shiny_Rock

tyty333|1480512111|4103706 said:
DiamondDense|1480462955|4103564 said:

Nice! If you like bigger flashes go with the second stone...smaller flashes go with the 3rd stone. These 2 were my favorite after
a quick look...I have to run out today or I would stay and offer more but I know you need to order soon. My choice would be
between 2 and 3...good luck!

Edit...my delima is I tend to also like some bigger flashes which leads me to the second stone but I like the outline of the 3rd stone this stone is not for me though so you have to decide. Yekutiel favors the 3rd stone which is also a plus. I would call him and talk to him about those two stones and let him talk you through your decision.

Edit ...I think they are both beautiful choices. Just slightly different flavors.

again. thank you SO much.

just a quick follow up: you're not seeing too much of a bowtie in either #2 or #3?

any particular reason you didn't highlight #4? that seems to be the one with the least darkness across the belly.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Number 4 is nice but I also take into account size. Most of the time it is the bow-tie area that has the brightest/biggest flashes (in
an oval with nice faceting pattern). It's somewhat of a trade off of trying to find one that is showing brightness through the
center with some nice flashes (vs. a dark bow-tie) and maybe one that isnt showing any bow-tie affect at all (end up with smaller
flashes).

Number 2 and 3 due look bigger than #4. Really just different flavors...pick the one that appeals to you the most. I think number
3 is a good combination of bigger facets and smaller facets.

DiamondDense

Shiny_Rock

tyty333|1480532521|4103795 said:
Number 4 is nice but I also take into account size. Most of the time it is the bow-tie area that has the brightest/biggest flashes (in
an oval with nice faceting pattern). It's somewhat of a trade off of trying to find one that is showing brightness through the
center with some nice flashes (vs. a dark bow-tie) and maybe one that isnt showing any bow-tie affect at all (end up with smaller
flashes).

Number 2 and 3 due look bigger than #4. Really just different flavors...pick the one that appeals to you the most. I think number
thank you. i think i am leaning towards #3 (Yekutiel's favorite all along). i might have him bring in just one more for comparison sake.

if you don't mind, and maybe this is a silly question, but why in the 1st video was the bowtie so pronounced and in the other two videos hardly noticeable?

makes me feel just slightly uneasy in that if it was at one time apparent, i'm not sure which video to "believe". just strange is all...

and again - i can't thank you enough!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

DiamondDense|1480542064|4103845 said:
tyty333|1480532521|4103795 said:
flashes).

thank you. i think i am leaning towards #3 (Yekutiel's favorite all along). i might have him bring in just one more for comparison sake.

if you don't mind, and maybe this is a silly question, but why in the 1st video was the bowtie so pronounced and in the other two videos hardly noticeable?

makes me feel just slightly uneasy in that if it was at one time apparent, i'm nnot sure which video to "believe". just strange is all...

and again - i can't thank you enough!

I have no idea why the dark area in the upper part of the stone was so pronounced in the first video. You need to ask Yuketiel why.
May have been the lighting...ask Yuketiel. I think it has a bright light shining on it and it just makes it look really glassy to me and makes the darkness stand out when turned at an angle. The new video is under a different type of lighting. Ask him
what the lighting differences between the two videos is. You want something done in more natural lighting and not with a bright
light on it because that's not how you're going to see it in real life.

I would not bring in any more stones. I think you have a good set to pick from...unless you found one that you think is stellar and will
outshine these 4.

In an oval, IMO, when the center looks more like a round brilliant is where you get the best light return. You want the pavilion angles
to stretch as far as possible out towards the north/south rounded ends. Almost all ovals will have an area of undefined facets (mushy facets) heading towards the north/south ends. This is typical of an oval but you want to try to reduce this area as much as possible.

I took a clip from the video that shows the faceting pattern of number 3 nicely. It looks like it has a wide area of nice facets that should return light nicely. If you dont like this look the 4th stone may be more to your liking.

ovals_2_and_3.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results