shape
carat
color
clarity

The Gym, re-revisited

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the ideas Annette! Max Fitness was another one they mentioned..I don't know if I said that before..

Thanks Ame! Hoping we can figure a name out this week.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Brother says it has to have Fitness or Gym in the name. Generation Fitness is a suggestion. I still like Flex Appeal but he says that's not something that includes everyone and it doesn't say what the business *is*..I said that as a woman, I like it, b/c it sounds like a play on the term sex appeal. Like you come here and work out and you get sexy.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Gym Dandy????

Okay, forget I said anything.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
hahahaha I love it! That really gave me a chuckle!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
the one thing ive learned about picking a name for a business...its has to be used in advirtising and be memorable and not date itself after a few years. I like the phy. education idea because you have a ton of ideas to create ad copy with.Lift is a good catchy word but will be work to creat a whole branding around.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Jewelerman! I like the Physical Education name a lot as well..I'll ask him about that one again I guess. I don't see where it *has* to have gym or fitness in the name to be understood but..

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,
Its the psychology of the name. No matter who you are you are either told by your Dr to get fit or remain fit. Fitness is in. It says good health. Everyone wants that.

The reason I didn't like Gym is that it has no melody to it as a word, so it should be used with another word to give it rhythm.
I l;iked your new choices, but I suppose you all should agree,
In our house, and my friendshomes, we call the Fitness Center the Club. *referencing health club.) We are not uppity or rich people.

So:

The Fitness Club (people might like that. It implies a certain exclusivity.

The Fitness Center
Your Fitness Center Club --Etc

The Pantheon Fitness Center

For a womens club. Fit & Fabulous Annette

The Fitness Track
The Fitness Road

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
The biggest chains locally are:

True Fitness (No abbrev.)
Pure Fitness (No abbrev.)
Fitness First (FF)
California Fitness (Cali)

People join the fourth cos it is the cheapest and a known gay (men) pickup zone; Fitness first because it is the most premium and has the best equipment/locations/clientèle of well heeled people and wannabe well heeled and a nice number of fringe offerings like free soda station, dvd rentals, gym clothes provided so you can come anytime you want etc; True and Pure are very new and have super aggressive recruitment policies, and a lot of trial Pysical trainer sessions which attract gym newbies - which are good for the gym as they sign up and never go the distance but continue to pay.

So ultimately, the reality is that the name isn't really why people join gyms. I'm not saying it isn't important to have a name you love, but I doubt it is a big hangup.

But my vote is bitch tits. Followed closely by Lift. But I see the reservations with calling a gym lift, because without context, if someone says lift, you may not instantly catch on. I've included what locals abbreviate the names to up above, the two newer ones have no abbreviations, people tend to say they are going to the gym. Then when asked give the full name.

I'm just giving alternative viewpoints. :)

Or you could always do a double slogan. Lift - Get really bitch tits(Subscript).

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Tristan! I swear, Bitch Tits has got to be my favorite. Slim Gym (ohhhh yeah brother!) and Gym Teacher make me smile too..

I thought of some more..that may have been mentioned in past gym threads and I forgot to write them down.
Core Fitness
Peak Fitness
Xtreme Physique
Fit Physique
Physique Fitness
Peak Physique..too rhyme-y maybe..reminds me of Bugs Bunny's Black Jacque Shellac, tho I did always get a charge out of him!
Xtreme Fitness

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
packrat|1320201132|3052243 said:
Thanks Tristan! I swear, Bitch Tits has got to be my favorite. Slim Gym (ohhhh yeah brother!) and Gym Teacher make me smile too..
I seriously just died laughing at the Slim Gym reference

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last Ones

Workout world----shortened from Women workout world

Forever Fit

Workout Depot

Path to Fitness

Fitness Pathway 0r Pathway to Fitness\

For the 21 Century---- Fitness Galaxy-- Nice decor ideas in that one. Aliens on the sidelines.
HANGING PLANETS FROM CEILING

Annette

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
We didn't go in on it w/him..makes me sad but it was not the right decision for us, all things considered. It will be Ultimate Fitness, and we'll still help out there, just won't be part owners. Opens the beginning of the New Year.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
packrat|1323041550|3074126 said:
We didn't go in on it w/him..makes me sad but it was not the right decision for us, all things considered. It will be Ultimate Fitness, and we'll still help out there, just won't be part owners. Opens the beginning of the New Year.

glad to hear that your brother is really making this happen. Sorry you didn't end up being partners... honestly it may be better this way- mixing buisness with family, when you have differing opinions may have caused friction in the future. Best of luck!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm sorry to hear the partnership didn't work out, Packie.

As the wife of a man whose entire family owns their own businesses, I have to say there have been MANY times when I've thought we should make laws against family going into business together. I'm just sayin'. :cheeky:

As for the name, I think it's important of course, but when it comes down to it the gym just has to be a great place in and of itself. LA Fitness just bought out Bally Total Fitness, and it made me want to cry when we went to Ballys to work out and were told "This location is closing in 30 minutes for renovations. We were just purchased by LA Fitness. Please go to the nearest LA Fitness, they'll honor your membership through December." First, DH and I both used to work as PTs at different Ballys, so we have The World's Cheapest Gym Memberships, which LA Fitness will in no way honor. I'm pretty sure Bally was paying us to work out by the end. But more than anything, I HATE the fact that LA Fitness's logo has the letters in full caps with no periods after the L or the A, so to me it reads "la fitness." HATE IT! I HATE THAT STUPID NAME! JUST USE FRICKIN' PERIODS! In American English we use full stops in our abbreviations!!!! I also have more Chicago pride than I should, and it makes me feel like a traitor to belong to a gym that pledges its allegiance to a city that can't even make a decent pizza pie.

Alas, DH and I don't want to stop working out over a diacritical dispute, so we've used La Fitness for the last three days.
And you know what? Despite its stupid name, it's not so bad.
There are far too many young teenagers walking around for my liking, and the ratio of naked-to-clothed ladies in the locker room far exceeds that of Bally. But the gym is super close to our house, and they have really nice new Life Fitness machines that have levers in all the right places, so I'm pretty happy. I think we'll stay. Despite the stupid name.

All that being said, if you ever open an establishment called Bitch Tits, DH and I will join it even if it's so afar away there's no chance that we'll ever set foot in the place. The membership card alone would be worth the fees . . .

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results