shape
carat
color
clarity

The Gym, re-revisited

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
We're totally stuck on a name. Completely stuck.

My brother's choice is My Gym. Our choice is Lift. We've come up w/some other ideas as well but haven't had a chance to run any of them by my brother. I thought I would list them here and of course welcome more suggestions, ones from the other thread also, and if anyone wants to play around and do some logo/mock ups to help visualize things, that would be spectacular.

Obviously we want a name that is more gender neutral so it's not intimidating to women or older people or those who are just starting out, and one that isn't foo foo so the guys don't want to come. So nothing like Roid Rage or Pink Fitness. (It will always be Bitch Tits in my heart anyway haha)

Ideas:
My Gym
Lift
The Gymnasium
The Gym Teacher (when I first considered it I just thought it was funny but then I thought well heck, that's kind of what you do there in a way, and my brother had said he wanted something that people starting out/new to working out could "get", which is why he likes My Gym so much) (and I saw it on a shirt, thought it was catchy)
Slim Gym (suggested on the other thread and heaven help me but I just get a big kick out of it)
SportsCenter

Could use words like Revolution, Results, Sport/Sports, Fitness, Club, Health. We have a Wellness Center in town, so nothing w/those words as that's the competition. Depot is another one I just thought of for a word add on..it's located down the block from the old train depot where they still stage skits every year. Fitness Depot? Maybe it sounds like we should all wear conductor hats..

My brother's issue w/Lift is that to him it's like having a delivery service named Drive. He did mention expanding on the name like Lift 24-7 or whatever. So..Lift Fitness? Lift Sports?

Adding the picture of the shirt I saw..I just like it. Expanding on the Gym Teacher thing..we always called it gym in school, and we used to play dodge ball and pillow polo and fun games like that..wouldn't it be fun to get groups together and play those old school games? That's something fun I can see a gym named that, doing. Ha, wear those white socks w/the color bands around the top even!

Added some clip art I found too.

24645.png

149128__91173_std.jpg

149130__33191_thumb.jpg

canstock0053587.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
last clip art

Also, I thought Metallica fans would find the thread title amusing.

stock-vector-shiny-weight-bar-bell-dumb-bell-icon-clipart-54922264.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
What about:

Physical Education

I first thought "Phys Ed" sounded good, but I love the way "Physical Education" sounds, and there are so many fun marketing things you could do with it.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
You know, I like that a lot too Haven! You're good at this! How about, I'll name the animals and you can name the businesses? I'm adding that to the list of contenders.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Your quest for a name made me think about all the things we used to call the gym/gym-goers in college:

The Meat Market
Meatheads
Beefcakes
Gym Rats
Plate Slingers

These are all in the spirit of Bitch Tits, of course. But I laughed for a bit thinking of all these things we used to say. We called it The Meat Market most of the time, though.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
packrat|1319741622|3048872 said:
You know, I like that a lot too Haven! You're good at this! How about, I'll name the animals and you can name the businesses? I'm adding that to the list of contenders.
Done!

I love naming things. The thing I like about Physical Education is you can shorten it to Phys Ed, and you can really play off of the high school gym theme. I'm seeing red gym shorts with white piping, gym uniforms, etc. :bigsmile:

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
If I were opening a totally old school gym, the kind primarily for lifting and bodybuilding, I would totally name it:

Weights and Plates
or
The Weight Room
or
Cut

:bigsmile:
This is a fun distraction from what I should be doing!

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've always liked "Lift", which I *thought* was also Haven's suggestion from a few threads ago on this topic. Am I recalling correctly?

I am not a texter, but what about a name in text speak, like "U R Fit" or something like that? Well, maybe a frequent texter can come up with something catchier.

What about "The Gym"?

ETA: Deleted my question, which you answered in your original post!

ETA2: Haha, just opened your other thread. Ignore my "The Gym" suggestion, and I would thing "The Gymnasium" would be out too. In fact, I woudn't consider "My Gym", either, if there is already a "The Gym" in the area.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I like Physical Education and Weights and Plates (if it is going to be old school and all about lifting...I would not try Weights and Plates to do 30 minutes of elliptical in front of a bank of TVs...)

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
JD's liking The Weight Room too..I'll run them by my brother this weekend and see what he thinks. It won't *just* be weights, but predominately I think..there will be some cardio equipment and we're hoping to be able to do yoga there.

LV, yep, Lift was Haven's idea from long long ago, the very first gym thread!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I still like Lift. I don't know why your brother doesn't get it!!

The only idea I have that hasn't been mentioned (i don't think) is a made-up name. Like Pepsi or Kodak, something that will become strictly that particular gym. A trademark of sorts I guess. There would be no misunderstanding when the name is spoken. I'd throw fitness center or something along those lines on the end of it just so it's descriptive.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
somethingshiny|1319746735|3048908 said:
I still like Lift. I don't know why your brother doesn't get it!!
+1 because nothing beats it.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1319745462|3048894 said:
JD's liking The Weight Room too..I'll run them by my brother this weekend and see what he thinks. It won't *just* be weights, but predominately I think..there will be some cardio equipment and we're hoping to be able to do yoga there.

I haven't read the other thread yet so you may have already considered this...

Since you are going to have some cardio stuff and maybe yoga there too, he might want to keep the name a bit more generic (less weights focus) so that as he builds the business and potentially expands or adds additional equipment/activities the name is still appropriate.

I really like the Lift idea.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
How bout PERFORMANCE ?

or 'LAST NAME' GYM ?

JUST WEIGHT ? (DH's suggestion)

PULLUP (I like it cause it's a palindrome!)

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, he said the name Lift doesn't say much about what you're trying to sell. But then, from a different perspective, Coke/Pepsi doesn't either. We only know what it is immediately b/c it's so widely known/easily identifiable. It should be called Brown Pop, if it needs a name directly correlating to the item. Kodak only means pictures to us b/c that's what they're known for. Grow your business and make the name synonymous with what you're selling/what the business *is*, right? So that if you imagine looking the word up in the dictionary, and seeing your business.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
That's exactly it. The name doesn't need to be totally obvious, it needs to be easy and memorable though. It's up to him/you guys to make it successful and stick.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I don't know if it's national, but "My Gym" is a chain of kiddie gyms around here, sort of liek Gymboree.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
amc, yeah, someone mentioned that before, and I thought maybe he wouldn't want to use it b/c of that, so people didn't associate it w/a kids place. Someone's husband brought up the My Buddy doll from back in the day so now I end up w/that jingle in my head all the time..my buddy n me we're the beeest friends there could beeeee!

What if it got super successful and became more well known..and then we had to all the time say "No, not the kids place, ours is the adults gym" ?

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Whatever name you pick, you need to make sure someone hasn't already registered that name as a trademark. You'd hate to make a significant emotional or financial investment in a name only to find out that someone else has the legal right to use it and you don't. It's not a search just for your town, but at least your state, and safest of all, a national search. I f you have a lawyer who is helping you with the purchase/incorporation, etc. for the gym, that lawyer should either be able to run a search or know someone who can.

It's best to have at least a couple of names picked out because there's a fair chance that one of your favorites will already be taken.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
rainwood|1319752460|3048956 said:
Whatever name you pick, you need to make sure someone hasn't already registered that name as a trademark. You'd hate to make a significant emotional or financial investment in a name only to find out that someone else has the legal right to use it and you don't. It's not a search just for your town, but at least your state, and safest of all, a national search. I f you have a lawyer who is helping you with the purchase/incorporation, etc. for the gym, that lawyer should either be able to run a search or know someone who can.

It's best to have at least a couple of names picked out because there's a fair chance that one of your favorites will already be taken.
My money's on Bitch Tits. I bet it's still available. :bigsmile:

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Haven|1319741137|3048867 said:
What about:

Physical Education

I first thought "Phys Ed" sounded good, but I love the way "Physical Education" sounds, and there are so many fun marketing things you could do with it.

Loooooooooooove this idea.

I don't like Lift. I'd like the name if it was more broad but I think of a very manly gym when I hear the name and I would not go.

I think Slim Gym is awesome but the word "slim" in there might mess things up too and intimidate people. If you think about it, "Curve" (like the gym) and "Slim" are words describing a physique but "Curve" entices people so much more whereas "Slim" could drive people away.

Physical Education is awesome. You really could do SO much with it AND what I love most is that it is such a broad term and is really a nice "umbrella" for so many aspects of what can be included in that term.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
packrat|1319745462|3048894 said:

I see the same problem with "The Weight Room" as I do with "Lift"....it just targets too much of one audience. Not everyone is interested in that type of exercising and people may be very easily deceived by the name and what the gym offers so then your business will have to rely on word of mouth a lot. I do understand many businesses depend on that but I would do whatever possible to make sure you have tons of attraction to the gym besides just word of mouth.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
JD doesn't like Physical Education. Maybe he thinks I'll kick his as in a big kid game of wiffle-ball.

Gym Class? PE Class?

I'll link my brother this thread and see what he thinks. Maybe he'll join and tell me my ideas suck.

If someone new comes in and says Shut up Missah, it's him.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Or maybe he'll read it and see the light re: "Lift!"? :bigsmile:

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haha, I hope he does join just to see that post. :bigsmile:

What about:

P.E.

I kind of like it--"Hey, bro, I'm going to P.E. You in?"

Lulie

Shiny_Rock
Not sure about PE. I really like 'Lift'!
'Pump' seems to be popular in our area, 3 just opened this year: Pump Fitness, Pump Health Club and You Fit. The gyms are less than 10 miles apart though...

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Fun & Fit
Fun & Fitness
The Blue Room
The FitnessCenter of (Name you village or town)

Annette

I always enjoy rooms that have names. Even when you decide on a name for The Fitness Center, I think you should name the rooms.

As in Blueburry Hill. , The Mapleleaf Room -ect. The Stallion Room

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
We started cleaning out a room today, the room that will be the supplement area/nutrition bar. Lots of work to do..there's an upstairs, that is the same size as the entire main floor, so we'll be able to do a lot up there too. The owner has a little apartment in the back, and that's where the kids can hang out, watch tv, play, whatever, while we're there.

What about Lift Fitness or Flex Appeal?

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Again

I'm stuck on the word fitness.

Fitness & Fun --not the other way round

Fitness for Life-(stole that from my sons gym Lifetime Fitness

Fitness for All

The Total Gym

The Gym Jamboree

This is fun Annette