shape
carat
color
clarity

The Gluten-Free Life

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @dk168, she is continuing to do really well thankfully. Also thank you for sharing that recipe, I can just taste one of those maple syrup cookies with a hot cup of coffee, seems like a good fall treat.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh! Just remembered a GF and potentially low-carb cookie mix if you have a sweetener you like:
1C peanut butter
1C sugar or low-carb bakeable sweetener (sucralose?)
1 egg
Mix, roll into balls and bake at 175C/350F for 10 mins or until browned.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@foxinsox thank you for that recipe, I would probably use sugar since sucralose and a lot of other sweetness don’t agree with me. Even stevia and that stuff is everywhere!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found another recipe for fish, I use cod and usually make this once a week with some leftover for another meal. The cod used is wild caught frozen from Aldi, just thaw overnight in the fridge. We didn’t have any tomatoes so I used canned diced tomatoes and omitted the Tabasco and added coriander. Very good, easier than the other fish recipe I posted, apart from the continuous basting with the olive oil but it’s worth it:

DF60C59A-976B-45D9-91FF-E920B0765726.jpeg

9D3B7FE0-A457-4759-8E79-9FDB3CAB5BC5.jpeg

FDC3CB69-0251-4672-A2E5-9842EA1BC92F.jpeg

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@foxinsox thank you for that recipe, I would probably use sugar since sucralose and a lot of other sweetness don’t agree with me. Even stevia and that stuff is everywhere!
I find most sweeteners have a bitter aftertaste so just don't bother with replacing the sugar, more on reducing it in recipes and overall in my diet. If I do have full sugar, enjoying it and not worrying too much :)

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found another recipe for fish, I use cod and usually make this once a week with some leftover for another meal. The cod used is wild caught frozen from Aldi, just thaw overnight in the fridge. We didn’t have any tomatoes so I used canned diced tomatoes and omitted the Tabasco and added coriander. Very good, easier than the other fish recipe I posted, apart from the continuous basting with the olive oil but it’s worth it:

DF60C59A-976B-45D9-91FF-E920B0765726.jpeg

9D3B7FE0-A457-4759-8E79-9FDB3CAB5BC5.jpeg

FDC3CB69-0251-4672-A2E5-9842EA1BC92F.jpeg

Yum! Love fish! I do a lot of fish wrapped in tin foil, sitting on sliced lemons, dusted liberally with lemon pepper and garlic salt, with a knob of butter. Chuck on the BBQ for 10 mins or less depending on the fillet thickness and heat of the BBQ.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@foxinsox, I completely agree about the sweetners. Splenda was really popular when DH was diagnosed as a diabetic over ten years ago but it gave me Terri me headaches. Stevia makes my tongue itch and causes tummy upset. Good old sugar for the win I guess.

We haven’t done fish on the grill yet but I’m going to definitely try this. Do you use a white fish or something else? Salmon is supposed to be excellent for health (wild caught from certain regions) but it’s not my favorite. Love shrimp too but again finding them not farm raised from a good region is difficult if not at the fish market.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I woke up yesterday morning and was shocked, one side of my face had almost no redness at all! It was almost like waking up thin, still waiting for that miracle to happen!

0811EE5F-B400-492E-92B9-B5F229C4BB00.jpeg

Unfortunately it did get more red during the day and after dinner, starting to wonder if the tomatoes I ate might be the culprit. I know nightshades can be an issue for some. Again, this isn’t about the rosacea but using it as a gauge for digestive health. Giving up tomatoes would be a bummer so this warrants more trial before eliminating them completely.

I did try some dairy free dessert last night and won’t be buying it again. Cashew milk ice cream or even coconut milk has a better consistency and flavor. Doesn’t hurt to try though, this was what I bought:

ECD3D27E-2F34-48A4-AF18-DEF35FDC93D3.jpeg

If anyone has a GF lower carb ice cream recommendation, please share!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your support @Autonomous WorkSmarter, I anticipate this process will not have a final result for quite a while just because it’s going to take some time to get all the dietary stuff figured out. Hopefully all of us sharing recipes and experiences help someone else in the meantime :)

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@foxinsox, I completely agree about the sweetners. Splenda was really popular when DH was diagnosed as a diabetic over ten years ago but it gave me Terri me headaches. Stevia makes my tongue itch and causes tummy upset. Good old sugar for the win I guess.

We haven’t done fish on the grill yet but I’m going to definitely try this. Do you use a white fish or something else? Salmon is supposed to be excellent for health (wild caught from certain regions) but it’s not my favorite. Love shrimp too but again finding them not farm raised from a good region is difficult if not at the fish market.
Yes a white fish - warehou or gurnard are my favourites. They’re both reasonably firm with a nice flavour. I love salmon but my husband doesn’t so you’re not alone in not liking it =)
How exciting to see your rosacea fade so much even if it did colour up again. Good progress

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Also, it can get boring eating eggs and berries every single morning, so once a week (Sunday is perfect) I plan to change it up with one of these muffins, a little expensive but very good:

@YadaYadaYada I was at Costco today and saw the y have the muffins you like. I thought I’d share since the pricing might be better.
CAC5C2EA-F25D-431B-91FC-AB2BC1021F2F.jpeg
They also had an egg white frittata from the same maker. I’ve tried it before and it was pretty good.
2DD8F4B3-1F03-468C-B1C7-E54A266FF77A.jpeg

If anyone has a GF lower carb ice cream recommendation, please share!
These aren‘t necessarily low carb, but they are so good! I can’t eat artificial sweetener either and it’s hard finding treats that taste good, but aren’t overly sweetened.
BC2A41AC-727E-419A-AC76-5F3758D45A1F.jpeg

A6353B91-C30A-4665-9879-3AC1C34E0C48.jpeg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@foxinsox, actually I’m the only one who even eats white fish. I made it a few times and DH and the kids decided after that they didn’t really like it! So when I do make fish, I make extra so I can have it on hand. Their loss ;-)

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those ice cream bars look so good @2Neezers! I’ll have to see if the Stop and Shop close to us has them. That’s also where I found the muffins and they were $6 for a box of $6, so the Costco
price is really a great deal. Thanks for sharing!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey @2Neezers do you mind me asking how much you pay for those ice cream bars? At our store they are $7.19 for 4 bars! I nearly fell over.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hey @2Neezers do you mind me asking how much you pay for those ice cream bars? At our store they are $7.19 for 4 bars! I nearly fell over.

Yikes! Specialty foods are generally more expensive, but that is a lot! I think they are around $5 a box here. They carry at least one variety at the two local grocery store chains in my area and also at the local health food stores. I love shopping at the health food store for gluten free, less processed foods, by the way. They are also generally more expensive, but if your health food store has weekly sales they can have pretty good deals.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@2Neezers, we have a health food store in town so I will have to go have a look. Yes I thought the price at my store was high, that’s CT for you I guess.

I did pickup some chocolate sorbetto that was on sale. It probably seems like I’m buying a lot of packaged but really I’m just trying to find some “go to” things. I’ll report back on how the sorbetto is.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The chocolate sorbetto ended up being a winner, gluten and dairy free and was on sale for $5. Only thing is it may only be available locally since it’s made in CT. Just in case, here is a picture:

69FF1291-CE9B-40D5-909C-81A3B85140BC.jpeg

I also tried these gluten free cookies found at Marshall’s, $4 for a box of five cookies, these are very tasty and at our store they had a variety box with raspberry and apricot.
E2CC7075-DF36-4BC1-8E89-25E69DA1A9D4.jpeg

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The Raspberry Linzers look so good! I used to love Knott’s Berry Farms raspberry shortbread cookies when I was eating gluten. I’m going to have to try the ones in your picture. Marshall’s also has “Heavenly Hunks”, lol. They come in five varieties and are a good gluten free granola bar alternative.
AA3F012A-EAD4-462A-A4C7-D37241213EBC.jpeg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ohhh heavenly hunks, sounds good to me! @2Neezers. I didn’t see those last time I was there but I’ll have to look.

Today we went to some vintage and antique shops about an hour away and went to this cafe with amazing desserts, stuff of dreams! Anyways I asked her if they had any gluten free options and she pointed out some macarons and they had a mocha flavored one! So thrilled!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Found at Aldi can’t beat $2.99! This by far is the best ice cream I’ve tried yet and it’s also dairy free. Wasn’t even looking for it, just happened to come across it while buying ice cream for the kids :)

A332575C-D2E8-4259-A81B-440C4C5F0767.jpeg

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
I made the turkey cabbage recipe! Delicious! Added some chopped parsley and a few potatoes and it was amazing!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Two days away from one month GF and here is how the rosacea is looking:

C678F48F-082E-4E65-B2DE-2A59D8932DD0.jpeg

438C1AA2-7A19-425C-8F4F-6526CE18193B.jpeg

My weight has not changed and I’m thinking my face will probably not show any improvement without adding some exercise to further address inflammation. So this week I will focus on walking, just nice and easy and see what happens. It is rather frustrating to eat much healthier and not see any change on the scale.

I have determined that almond milk ice cream is definitely superior to coconut milk, at least for me. Although I did try the So Delicious strawberry flavor and it wasn’t bad, it did taste very strongly of strawberry, it may be a bit much for some. The chocolate So Delicious I was not a fan of, too chalky, the Aldi ice cream was far better.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today the kids and I went on a 3.4 mile walk at the reservoir in the rain. It was so pretty and we saw a deer.

Probably won’t be able to walk tomorrow but…progress :)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven’t read the entire thread (so don’t know if this was shared yet) but just wanted to post for @YadaYadaYada that gluten free products are often higher in calories than their gluten counterparts. For example gluten free pasta can be more calories than gluten pasta. Something to be aware of if you’re trying to lose weight.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy, I have noticed that! I’m actually avoiding pasta and bread because of the high carbs. It’s tough though because I would love a toasty bagel with mascarpone cheese, my favorite.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It is rather frustrating to eat much healthier and not see any change on the scale.
I can completely relate to this! Up until I turned 40, I could easily drop pounds with just a little effort and change in my diet. Now as I’m closer to 50 than I am to 40, it has been so hard for me to lose weight. The scale hasn’t budged much through diet changes only, but I recently have been exercising and moving around more throughout the day and have finally dropped a few pounds. It sound a like you had a wonderful long walk and I hope you weren’t too sore from it!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh, I am 42 and already I can see the pounds just want to stick like glue. Well, I’m trying not to think about it and just keep on keeping on. I’m glad you’ve found a way to get that scale moving!

My older son really enjoys being outside in nature and going for walks so I’m using him for inspiration ;-)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy, I have noticed that! I’m actually avoiding pasta and bread because of the high carbs. It’s tough though because I would love a toasty bagel with mascarpone cheese, my favorite.

Greg uses almond flour or arrow root to bake with and it is delicious.

I find I don't miss gluten except for bagels and pizza. I have not tried any gluten free substitutes for either bagels or pizza. I just eliminated them from my diet because as I understand it gluten free bread tastes nothing like their gluten counterparts.

I also miss dairy. The vegan ice cream I enjoy is amazing so I don't miss dairy ice cream but I miss cheese. But there are so many other yummy things to eat that I don't linger on what I cannot eat if you kwim. Plenty of good food I can eat.

Ugh, I am 42 and already I can see the pounds just want to stick like glue.

As for losing weight my advice is while exercise is important and moving every day critical what you eat will have the most impact on your weight. But yes, exercise is an important part of weight maintenance and feeling good about oneself. IMO.

Good luck @YadaYadaYada. One day at a time. You're doing great.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results