shape
carat
color
clarity

"The French Blue" a Review by John Pollard

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Yoram,

I don''t have access to my research material but I believe you are correct. I think it was Tillander who refers to the Wittelsbach as a double stellate brilliant because of the facet pattern around the culet.

I kinda doubt it was the first brilliant, it is difficult to believe that a cutter would have chosen a diamond of that size and value to experiment on. It, however may be the first documented brilliant and that amounts to the same thing.

Though I have yet to see a picture of the recut stone''s pavilion,I understand that the original pattern was retained, a canny move by Graff. Obviously something must have been done to deepen the pavilion angle. My sense is that the market will accept the recut with no loss to the stone''s value, in fact I believe now that Graff has managed this marketing coup that he will get in the neighborhood of 80m for the stone.

Please feel free the post your comments on the blog as well. Others who don''t read Pricescope will doubtless find them interesting.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/10/2010 10:04:36 AM
Author: Richard W. Wise
Yoram,

I don''t have access to my research material but I believe you are correct. I think it was Tillander who refers to the Wittelsbach as a double stellate brilliant because of the facet pattern around the culet.

I kinda doubt it was the first brilliant, it is difficult to believe that a cutter would have chosen a diamond of that size and value to experiment on. It, however may be the first documented brilliant and that amounts to the same thing.

Though I have yet to see a picture of the recut stone''s pavilion,I understand that the original pattern was retained, a canny move by Graff. Obviously something must have been done to deepen the pavilion angle. My sense is that the market will accept the recut with no loss to the stone''s value, in fact I believe now that Graff has managed this marketing coup that he will get in the neighborhood of 80m for the stone.

Please feel free the post your comments on the blog as well. Others who don''t read Pricescope will doubtless find them interesting.
I believe (based on the ''reflections'' of the new pic on your blog) the crown facets were stepped as well on the recut...
Value based on material was upgraded no doubt..., but as far as the Historic point of view value was downgraded.

Now..., its a debade which is more important as far as measuring value
1.gif

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Yorum,

Agreed!

Best,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results