shape
carat
color
clarity

The four Cs and how they relate to "bling"

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

searching for bling

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I am searching for the perfect stone for my fiance (we''ve already found the perfect ring!) but since this is the first time I''ve ever bought a diamond, I''m a little in over my head! So here''s my question: I want a stone with a lot of bling (ie: lots of sparkle) and want to know what I should be looking for in terms of the four Cs. How does symmetry, girtle, and other sub catagories relate to "bling?"

From my understanding so far, a diamond "performs" better (ie: has more bling) if it is cut well. Does that mean I''m looking for an ideal cut? Are there other ways to determine cut?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I''m sure these questions have been asked before so allow me to appologize in advance. Thanks again!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Searching,

Welcome to Pricescope.

I'd start with the tutorial above, under knowledge. It's pretty well accepted that the "light management" of a diamond is largely determined by the way a diamond is cut, in rounds this has been more figured out than in fancies (and in this case, the angles associated with the crown & pavilion most see as the primary determinants), and...like measuring intelligence, although different certifying agencies (GIA, AGS) have some squabbles about which specific proportions optimize light...I really do think the general targets here are the same. So, though different people will categorize ideal differently...I think pretty much the target of "ideal" is what most people are after...meaning that the diamond does a good job of optimizing light return.

Some specific shopping suggestions I wrote quite a while ago are under my signature, and I'll largely stand by. They mostly have to do with taking advantage of the tools on this website, which are pretty good.

Best wishes,

searching for bling

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the response. It is definitely appreciated! If I may ask another question(s)...

Assuming all other things equal, which stone would be preferred (in terms of light return), a D/E color S1/S2 stone or a an F/G color VS1/VS2 stone? My fiance and I are looking for a 2 carat stone that really sparkles but don''t want to "break the bank" buying said stone. I was looking to spend around 15K-20K on a G or better stone that has great "bling" "sparkle" "shine" etc...

Suggestions as to how we can minimize costs (which of the four Cs are of lesser concern) while maximizing the bling factor?

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
You can get a real nice stone in SI, as long as it''s eye clean. You have to ask yourself, do you want an eye clean stone or mind clean. Oh boy, the ole'' color question. Do you like really white stones? Or do you prefer a little warmth. For pretty white stones, you want to stay G or higher. Of course that means paying for the preminum. Also how color sensitive are you and your girlfriend. There are a few ladies here that have very beautiful J colors. The most important factor is cut. All else is just icing on the cake.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cut is what makes a diamond beautiful, so that''s the most important C. Color is personal. SI1 as long as it''s eye clean can be a great value. Many people have SI2''s that are eye clean. I''d work with one of the PS vendors, they can help you find what you are looking for in a stone and one that will fit within your budget. Good luck!!!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/17/2007 10:58:25 PM
Author: Kaleigh
Cut is what makes a diamond beautiful, so that''s the most important C. Color is personal. SI1 as long as it''s eye clean can be a great value. Many people have SI2''s that are eye clean. I''d work with one of the PS vendors, they can help you find what you are looking for in a stone and one that will fit within your budget. Good luck!!!
I agree with Kaleigh. So, separate from light return, though that''s in your question, I might like to shoot for F VS2.

I see 3 on today''s board. I might favor this one, asking you to compromise on both your budget and size. But there''s 2 others to check out, including this one that might cause no compromise if 2 carats is important

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results