shape
carat
color
clarity

* The February 9, 10 & 11 East Coast Blizzard Thread *

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/10/2010 10:23:03 PM
Author: trillionaire
I''m in Alexandria VA... I''d say we got 10-12 inches today. I didn''t measure.

I couldn''t get the dog to go out all day today. I shovels paths last snow storm, but because of the conditions, didn''t venture out to do so today... then she pooped on the floor.
20.gif

So I kicked her out to do her business. I need to reshovel her grassy patch, which is covered in about a foot of snow, and too much for her to handle, but I did have to wander out into the storm to take her potty, and NEITHER of us were very pleased.

honestly, just glad I''m not in B-more, where they were supposed to get 20-30 inches!
14.gif
And this wind is insane!
Didn''t you just recently move up here? Is the place you came from still available? I think I''m ready to move!

Balt definitely got a good 20 today I''d say. Not sure, I didn''t make it one step outside today. Drifts are easily 6 feet high. Road crews weren''t out at all most of the day. It''s still windy but the snow has stopped!
1.gif

Sorry to hear about the accident. Hope it wasn''t on carpet.
8.gif

Treefrog

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
Still a mess in MD. I made a path to my car. I can move it about 3 feet now. My road has yet to be touched. My sister called me this morning and said she heard the local fire department had partially collapsed and was on fire. I grabbed my camera and started hiking. It took me a while to make a path out of the neighborhood - drifts were almost shoulder deep in spots. It was easier once I got out to the road. Sure enough... a fair amount of the building had collapsed and much of the remainder will suffer fire/smoke/water damage. This is the third fire station that I know of to collapse/burn as a result of this storm. Countless barns. Rumor has it a Home Depot collapsed as well.

svfd0001.jpg

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/10/2010 10:11:56 PM
Author: treefrog

Date: 2/10/2010 7:12:50 PM
Author: Irishgrrrl
Deb, we''re actually in extreme southern Pennsylvania, right on the Maryland line. The closest major city to us is Hagerstown, MD (which is where I grew up). Although we live in Pennsylvania, we''re actually very close to both Virginia and West Virginia, and VERY close to Maryland.
1.gif
I was in your area yesterday, before I got sick. It was snowing pretty good by 1:30 when I left Whitetail. The backroads were very scary. Can''t imagine being there now. It''s still coming down pretty good in MD. It''s so windy, it''s hard to tell how much is blowing and how much is coming down. We have drifts over 6'' high in spots.
Wow, TF, you WERE close to us if you were at Whitetail! Were you helping to rescue some of the people who tried to go skiing and got their cars stuck in the snow? I heard that happened to a bunch of people, and rescue workers had to come and get them out.
7.gif

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/11/2010 3:41:37 PM

Wow, TF, you WERE close to us if you were at Whitetail! Were you helping to rescue some of the people who tried to go skiing and got their cars stuck in the snow? I heard that happened to a bunch of people, and rescue workers had to come and get them out.
7.gif
No... instead of being a rescuer this time, I was one of the idiots that thought it would be a good idea to go skiing. Roads weren''t good on my way in to Whitetail and the snow was getting heavy so I don''t think I was there more than 90 minutes. I had heard we were only getting an inch early in the day and it would be worse later. If that was an inch, I didn''t want to see worse. I made it out find but I really don''t think I had an hour to spare. I drove out of it on the way home but of course, it caught up with us later. I knew I was close to you. How are things out there now? I''m still stranded at home unless I hike through the snow and drifts.

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
my contribution:

because it looked like this outside for the past week, we spent way too much time here inside
9.gif
. hope that everyone has power and is getting back to normal

llblizzard10.jpg

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/11/2010 4:00:51 PM
Author: treefrog

Date: 2/11/2010 3:41:37 PM

7.gif
No... instead of being a rescuer this time, I was one of the idiots that thought it would be a good idea to go skiing. Roads weren''t good on my way in to Whitetail and the snow was getting heavy so I don''t think I was there more than 90 minutes. I had heard we were only getting an inch early in the day and it would be worse later. If that was an inch, I didn''t want to see worse. I made it out find but I really don''t think I had an hour to spare. I drove out of it on the way home but of course, it caught up with us later. I knew I was close to you. How are things out there now? I''m still stranded at home unless I hike through the snow and drifts.
Things are pretty good here. The main roads are mostly cleared off, and they reopened I-81 on Thursday morning. But the back roads are still NASTY!!! I can''t go visit my horse tonight like I had planned to, because most of the roads to get to the barn are drifted shut.
39.gif

I''m hearing rumblings about yet ANOTHER storm early next week, and then AGAIN next weekend? Do you know if there''s any truth to this?
32.gif

Julianna

Brilliant_Rock
I''m so tired of the snow.

Here''s the sitcheeation in Frederick County, Maryland. It was snowing by noonish Tuesday. By Wednesday morning, the Governor had declared a state of emergency for the entire state. Wednesday, mid-day, all plows were pulled off of the roads because of white-out conditions and dangerous winds. There was nothing to do but sit in the house and cross your fingers that the power stayed on. It stopped snowing sometime Wednesday night, though I''m not sure when.

Thursday morning, over two dozen people had to be airlifted from highway 340W (runs from Frederick to Charlestown, WV and points west) because there was not a plow or other machine that could get through the 6-8 foot drifts across the highway. All of those people spent the night in their cars. We were told to stay off of the roads, still under a state of emergency. My office was closed for an unprecedented second day (first time I can remember in ten years). 70 West was closed at many exits. 15 North was closed.

This morning, 340W was STILL drifted over, with police stationed at the exit ramp and on the highway. 15N was STILL drifted over from somewhere north of Thurmont to the PA state line. Most secondary roads are one and a half to two lanes. Most people are driving scared and slow.

They told us we got around 23 inches Tuesday-Wednesday. I couldn''t tell you if that is true or not, the wind was blowing 35-50mph the entire day and my car was spotlessly clean when I woke up to clean it off (though my porch was about a foot and a half deep). If that snow total is correct, Frederick County got around 53 inches in a week.

I took some mean icicle pictures; that second snowstorm created some monster, 7-8 foot stalagtite-type icicles on the eaves of the buildings around me.

They say it''s going to snow Monday night.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
We got about 24 inches here in Bucks Cty, PA (New Hope, PA/Lambertville, NJ). Hard to tell with the wind drifts. We made the rounds several times during the day Wednesday to clear the snow since we have a snowblower and helped several neighbors as well (one just had a baby, the other had shoulder surgery, and the last person was an elderly man with a heart condition).

What really pissed me off was hearing a neighbor making a comment that "nobody helped them clear out their driveway". I said that I didn''t realize that she, her husband, and her 2 teens were disabled. She said they were busy watching movies they had rented since they had to be returned the next day (was she serious?) So then I apologized and said, "Oh, I didn''t realize that they were just lazy." and walked away. As of today her driveway still isn''t cleared. They are just compacting the snow as they drive over it. (I can''t stand this neighbor and just want her to leave me alone)

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
2/12/2010 2:57:01 PM

Things are pretty good here. The main roads are mostly cleared off, and they reopened I-81 on Thursday morning. But the back roads are still NASTY!!! I can't go visit my horse tonight like I had planned to, because most of the roads to get to the barn are drifted shut.

I'm hearing rumblings about yet ANOTHER storm early next week, and then AGAIN next weekend? Do you know if there's any truth to this?
Supposedly it will snow again on Presidents' Day (Monday, February 15). What was your total snowfall, Emm?

AGBF
34.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/12/2010 3:40:49 PM
Author: AGBF

Date:
2/12/2010 2:57:01 PM

Things are pretty good here. The main roads are mostly cleared off, and they reopened I-81 on Thursday morning. But the back roads are still NASTY!!! I can''t go visit my horse tonight like I had planned to, because most of the roads to get to the barn are drifted shut.

I''m hearing rumblings about yet ANOTHER storm early next week, and then AGAIN next weekend? Do you know if there''s any truth to this?
Supposedly it will snow again on Presidents'' Day (Monday, February 15). What was your total snowfall, Emm?

AGBF
34.gif
WAAAAY too much, Deb . . . WAAAAY too much!!! LOL!
2.gif

I think we got about 18 inches from this second storm, on top of the two feet or so from last weekend''s storm, so I guess our total was about 3.5 feet. Of course, we were lucky enough to get a bit of melting in between the two storms, so we didn''t have that whole 3.5 feet on the ground all at once. I think the most we had on the ground at one time was maybe 2.5 to 3 feet. That''s MORE than enough for me!!!
23.gif

Did you get anything up there in CT yet? If so, how much did you get? And what about your hubby in VA . . . did he get as much as we did? I hope not, for his sake!
40.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
2/12/2010 4:52:04 PM

Did you get anything up there in CT yet? If so, how much did you get? And what about your hubby in VA . . . did he get as much as we did? I hope not, for his sake!

We got only about 6" here in Connecticut, Emm. Our neighborhood in Virginia got about 10" on top of the almost 3 feet on the ground. Since I haven''t (yet) been back there I don''t know if any of that had melted! These are official NOAA totals from the last snow.

AGBF
34.gif

Feb 9-10 Snow Totals For MD, VA, DC
Maryland, Washington, D.C. and Virginia Snowfall
Updated: Friday, 12 Feb 2010, 8:57 AM EST
Published : Friday, 12 Feb 2010, 7:25 AM EST

The snow has finally stopped! So, how much snow fell in your neighborhood? Take a look at snowfall totals for areas in Washington, D.C., Maryland, Virginia, and West Virginia from The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).

Do you have different snowfall totals from your neighborhood?

E-mail us your snow totals and we might mention them on the air!

TWO-DAY SNOWFALL TOTALS FROM TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 09, 2010 AND WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 10, 2010

With the 10.8 inch two-day snowfall total measured at Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport Wednesday the seasonal snowfall total in Washington, D.C. now stands at 55.9 inches. Preliminarily this breaks the previous all-time seasonal snowfall record for Washington, D.C. of 54.4 inches set in the winter of 1898-99. Official snowfall records for Washington, D.C. date back 126 years to 1884.

With the 19.5 inch two-day snowfall total measured Wednesday at Baltimore Washington International Thurgood Marshall airport the seasonal snowfall total in Baltimore now stands at 79.9 inches. Preliminarily this breaks the previous all time seasonal snowfall record for Baltimore of 62.5 inches set in the winter of 1995-96. Official snowfall records for Baltimore date back 118 years to 1893.

With the 9.3 inch two-day snowfall total measured yesterday at Dulles Airport the seasonal snowfall total now stands at 72.8 inches. Preliminarily this breaks the previous seasonal snowfall record for Dulles of 61.9 inches set in the winter of 1995-96. Official snowfall records for Dulles date back 48 years to 1962.

NUMBERS REPRESENT TOTAL SNOWFALL IN INCHES

DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA:

CHEVY CHASE VILL 15.5
AMERICAN UNIVERSITY 14.0

MARYLAND:

ALLEGANY COUNTY
ECKHART MINES 8.5
1 N FROSTBURG 7.8
1 SSE CUMBERLAND 6.0
ANNE ARUNDEL COUNTY
PASADENA 20.8
SOUTH GATE 19.2
GREEN HAVEN 17.5
LAUREL 16.6
ARNOLD 16.6
CHURCHTON 13.5
CROFTON 12.8
BELVEDERE HEIGHTS 11.5
FERNDALE 11.5
DEALE 11.0
SEVERN 11.0
OWINGS 10.0
CROWNSVILLE 9.9
EASTPORT 8.0
RIVA 7.0
SEVERNA PARK 7.0
PUMPHREY 6.0
FERNDALE 4.8
CAPE ARTHUR 4.0
BALTIMORE COUNTY
GLYNDON 24.5
ESSEX 22.3
PARKTON 21.0
FREELAND 21.0
GARRISON 20.3
LONG GREEN 20.0
PERRY HALL 20.0
DUNDALK 19.0
OWINGS MILLS 19.0
MONKTON 19.0
PARKTON 19.0
PARKVILLE 18.8
TIMONIUM 14.5
JACKSONVILLE 14.5
MCDONOGH 14.0
OELLA 14.0
PARKVILLE 12.0
PERRY HALL 11.5
BALTIMORE CITY
PIMLICO 20.5
GWYNN OAK 13.5
CALVERT COUNTY
HUNTINGTOWN 7.0
TRACYS LANDING 5.5
CARROLL COUNTY
WESTMINSTER 26.0
ELDERSBURG 24.0
LINEBORO 23.0
MANCHESTER 22.0
LINEBORO 21.5
CHARLES COUNTY
BRYANS ROAD 10.8
ST. CHARLES 6.6
DENTSVILLE 5.0
ST. CHARLES 3.9
WALDORF 3.8
FREDERICK COUNTY
SMITHSBURG 25.0
EMMITSBURG 23.5
JEFFERSON 23.0
FREDERICK 23.0
MYERSVILLE 20.0
WALKERSVILLE 18.0
NEW MARKET 12.0
HARFORD COUNTY
SCARBORO 21.0
FALLSTON 19.5
STREET 19.0
EDGEWOOD 17.0
BENSON 13.7
HOWARD COUNTY
GAITHER 21.5
SAVAGE 18.0
ELKRIDGE 16.5
SIMPSONVILLE 15.0
GLENELG 14.5
COLUMBIA 14.4
ELLICOTT CITY 13.0
COLUMBIA 12.0
MONTGOMERY COUNTY
GERMANTOWN 18.0
CLARKSBURG 15.1
GERMANTOWN 14.2
SOMERSET 13.0
ROCKVILLE 11.9
GAITHERSBURG 10.5
OLNEY 10.5
BETHESDA 10.0
NORBECK 9.3
NORTH POTOMAC 7.5
PRINCE GEORGES COUNTY
BOWIE 13.1
HYATTSVILLE 11.8
LAUREL 10.5
COLLEGE PARK 9.0
CAMP SPRINGS 8.5
LAUREL 7.5
BELTSVILLE 7.1
GREENBELT 7.0
ST. MARYS COUNTY
HILLVILLE 6.2
HOLLYWOOD 6.0
WASHINGTON COUNTY
HAGERSTOWN 17.1
HANCOCK 15.8
SHARPSBURG 11.5

VIRGINIA:

ALBEMARLE COUNTY
MONTICELLO 4.1
OVERTON 4.0
EARLYSVILLE 4.0
ARLINGTON COUNTY
FALLS CHURCH 13.4
BAILEYS CROSSR 12.8
BALLSTON 12.1
BARCROFT 9.8
AUGUSTA COUNTY
FISHERSVILLE 3.6
STAUNTON 2.8
CRAIGSVILLE 2.5
STAUNTON 2.4
WAYNESBORO 1.3
CITY OF ALEXANDRIA
S ALEXANDRIA 12.5
SE ALEXANDRIA 10.5
SSW ALEXANDRIA 6.5
CITY OF FREDERICKSBURG
FREDERICKSBURG 4.5
CITY OF HARRISONBURG
KEEZLETOWN 3.5
HARRISONBURG 2.5
CITY OF MANASSAS
ESE MANASSAS 5.0
W MANASSAS PARK 4.5
SSW MANASSAS 3.0
CITY OF WAYNESBORO
WAYNESBORO 3.4
CLARKE COUNTY
BOYCE 4.5
BERRYVILLE 4.0
CULPEPER COUNTY
CULPEPER 4.0
FAIRFAX COUNTY
JEFFERSON MANOR 11.5
VIENNA 11.0
FRANCONIA 10.2
HYBLA VALLEY 10.0
RESTON 9.7
OAKTON 9.0
CENTREVILLE 9.0
VIENNA 9.0
RAVENSWORTH 9.0
CENTREVILLE 8.9
MERRIFIELD 8.5
BURKE 8.0
CHANTILLY 7.8
AIRFAX STATIO 7.1
CENTREVILLE 7.0
FAUQUIER COUNTY
MARSHALL 6.0
OPAL 5.0
WARRENTON 5.0
FREDERICK COUNTY
WHITACRE 12.0
WINCHESTER 5.0
STEPHENSON 4.5
STEPHENS CITY 4.3
GREENE COUNTY
LYDIA 5.0
MCMULLEN 4.0
RUCKERSVILLE 3.0
HIGHLAND COUNTY
MUSTOE 5.2
MONTEREY 4.0
KING GEORGE COUNTY
JERSEY 3.0
LOUDOUN COUNTY
LUCKETTS 14.0
LEESBURG 12.0
HAMILTON 10.0
ALDIE 9.5
BLUEMONT 8.0
PURCELLVILLE 6.0
MADISON COUNTY
HAYWOOD 3.9
NELSON COUNTY
ELMA 1.8
ORANGE COUNTY
ORANGE 3.5
PAGE COUNTY
IDA 5.5
FAIRVIEW 5.0
1 ESE HONEYVILLE 5.0
PRINCE WILLIAM COUNTY
1 N WOODBRIDGE 10.0
INDEPENDENT HI 6.5
LAKE RIDGE 5.0
RAPPAHANNOCK COUNTY
ROCK MILLS 4.0
WASHINGTON

ROCKINGHAM COUNTY
MASSANUTTEN 6.0
SINGERS GLEN 4.8
ROCKY BAR 4.0
HARRISONBURG 3.0
SHENANDOAH COUNTY
MAURERTOWN 3.5
SPOTSYLVANIA COUNTY
CHANCELLORSVILL 7.0
THORNHILL 5.5
STAFFORD COUNTY
GARRISONVILLE 6.5
ROSEVILLE 5.0
STAFFORD 3.0
WARREN COUNTY
1 SW FRONT ROYAL 4.0

WEST VIRGINIA:

BERKELEY COUNTY
MARTINSBURG 16.0
ALLING WATERS 13.0
BERKELEY 12.8
WINEBRENNERS C 11.5
BUNKER HILL 8.0
VANVILLE 7.8
GERRARDSTOWN 5.5
GRANT COUNTY
BAYARD 14.0
MOUNT STORM 10.0
HAMPSHIRE COUNTY
ROMNEY 12.0
HARDY COUNTY
MCNEILL 6.0
LOST RIVER 5.0
MOOREFIELD 4.0
JEFFERSON COUNTY
SHEPHERDSTOWN 10.0
BAKERTON 9.5
HARPERS FERRY 8.5
HALLTOWN 7.3
RIPPON 6.5
MINERAL COUNTY
KEYSER 7.3
SHORT GAP 6.0
RIDGELEY 5.8
MORGAN COUNTY
BERKELEY SPGS 11.4
BERKELEY SPGS 10.5
SMITH CROSSROADS 7.0
PENDLETON COUNTY
CHERRY GROVE 1.5

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Apparently the snow that was supposed to hit massachusetts ended up somewhere around texas.

whoops.

-A

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results