shape
carat
color
clarity

* The February 9, 10 & 11 East Coast Blizzard Thread *

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
PA I''m in Attleboro and I''m embarrassed about leaving work this afternoon. We have nothing on the ground.

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/10/2010 5:46:16 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
PA I''m in Attleboro and I''m embarrassed about leaving work this afternoon. We have nothing on the ground.

Well don''t be too embarrassed. Everyone I know (except my husband) took the day off or left work at 1. We have absolutely nothing on the ground here either yet Weather.com keeps telling me it''s snowing...

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
2/10/2010 2:12:07 PM
Author: Patiently_Waiting

I'm in the Philadelphia/SE PA area and they are calling for another 18-24'. This is in addition to the 28.5' we got over the weekend. I am fortunate enough to be able to work from home so I am loving all of the snow
Patiently_Waiting, did you actually get 18"- 24"? I ask because we got the bare minimum of the minimum forecast. I am hoping that the forecasters were wrong when they prophesied an additional 18"- 24". Please let us know!

Deb/AGBF
34.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
2/10/2010 5:42:13 PM
Author: elrohwen

Deb, how much did you guys end up with in lower Fairfield?
I stuck a ruler into the snow on the the railing on the back deck here and it looked like a smidgin over 5 ". The snow is still falling, but at the rate of a flake an hour. I doubt we will get much more. My reading was highly unscientific. I hadn't been out in the front on the actual ground in hours since I did some snow clearing, so I am afraid I can't tell you much unless I look on-line!

Deb/AGBF
34.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2010 5:57:47 PM
Author: AGBF

Date:

I''m in the Philadelphia/SE PA area and they are calling for another 18-24''. This is in addition to the 28.5'' we got over the weekend. I am fortunate enough to be able to work from home so I am loving all of the snow

Patiently_Waiting, did you actually get 18''- 24''? I ask because we got the bare minimum of the minimum forecast. I am hoping that the forecasters were wrong when they prophesied an additional 18''- 24''. Please let us know!

Deb/AGBF

34.gif

AGBF- Baltimore got 26 over the weekend, and at least an additional 24 last night/today. It''s a whole lot of snow blowing all over, at the moment.

Patiently_Waiting

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/10/2010 5:57:47 PM

Date:

I''m in the Philadelphia/SE PA area and they are calling for another 18-24''. This is in addition to the 28.5'' we got over the weekend. I am fortunate enough to be able to work from home so I am loving all of the snow
Patiently_Waiting, did you actually get 18''- 24''? I ask because we got the bare minimum of the minimum forecast. I am hoping that the forecasters were wrong when they prophesied an additional 18''- 24''. Please let us know!

Deb/AGBF
34.gif
We are still waiting on the final tallies, as it has been snowing heavily here for the majority of the day. I believe we have at least gotten 12" but I''m sure it will be more. I can''t give my unscientific guesstimate as I''ve been shoveling every few hours. They have closed many roads around the area though.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
2/10/2010 6:22:38 PM
Author: icekid

AGBF- Baltimore got 26 over the weekend, and at least an additional 24 last night/today. It''s a whole lot of snow blowing all over, at the moment.
Thanks, icekid. My husband is in New York City on business so he can''t tell me what is going on at our home in Virginia. We called our next door neighbors in Virginia this morning to check on them. They had close to three feet in the last storm and had had 5" at around 8:00 this morning, but I don''t know if the snow stopped early there or was heavy the way it was for you in Baltimore. february2003bride would know. She is in eastern Loudoun County, Virginia and I am in western Fairfax County Virginia with vespergirl. Now all I have to do is find out how much snow one of those posters has and I can find how much more snow is on top of the flat part of my roof along with the three feet my husband left there. I am wondering if it has fallen into the dining room. (I read that a roof of the Smithsonian came down this morning and that flat roofs are more prone-for obvious, physical reasons-to collapse under the weight of snow than gabled roofs.) The only part of our roof that is flat is over our dining room with our really nice dining room set and chandelier...not to mention the good crystal and china. :)

Deb/AGBF
34.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
32.gif
32.gif
32.gif
WHEN WILL IT END?!?!?!
32.gif
32.gif
32.gif

It started here yesterday around 11:00 a.m. and has been snowing ever since. I don''t think it''s supposed to stop until late to night. I don''t know how much we have . . . I''ve stopped counting the inches.

I spoke to my Mom on the phone this morning. She lives on a mountain in the eastern panhandle of WV, about an hour to the west of us. As of this morning around 10:00 a.m., they had four feet of snow on the ground! That would be about 34 inches from last weekends blizzard and about 14 inches from this one. Again, that was as of mid-morning, so I''m sure they have a good bit more now.

Fortunately, neither DH or I had to work today. I have no idea what''s going to happen tomorrow.

Has anyone seen the commercial with the little Travelocity gnome who''s sitting in his living room, watching a video of the beach on TV? And he''s singing to himself: "I''ve gotta get out of here . . . doo doo doo doo dooooooo doo doo . . . da dee da dee deeeee dee dee . . ."

I am SO there right now!
19.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
2/10/2010 6:55:32 PM
Author: Irishgrrrl

I don''t know how much we have . . . I''ve stopped counting the inches.

I spoke to my Mom on the phone this morning. She lives on a mountain in the eastern panhandle of WV, about an hour to the west of us.
I am sorry that I do not remember where you are, Irishgrrrl, but please remind me. An hour east of West Virginia puts you in Virginia? The District? Somewhere in that area, certainly!

Deb/AGBF
34.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/10/2010 7:00:06 PM

Date:
2/10/2010 6:55:32 PM

I don''t know how much we have . . . I''ve stopped counting the inches.

I spoke to my Mom on the phone this morning. She lives on a mountain in the eastern panhandle of WV, about an hour to the west of us.
I am sorry that I do not remember where you are, Irishgrrrl, but please remind me. An hour east of West Virginia puts you in Virginia? The District? Somewhere in that area, certainly!

Deb/AGBF
34.gif
Deb, we''re actually in extreme southern Pennsylvania, right on the Maryland line. The closest major city to us is Hagerstown, MD (which is where I grew up). Although we live in Pennsylvania, we''re actually very close to both Virginia and West Virginia, and VERY close to Maryland.
1.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
2/10/2010 7:12:50 PM

Deb, we're actually in extreme southern Pennsylvania, right on the Maryland line. The closest major city to us is Hagerstown, MD (which is where I grew up). Although we live in Pennsylvania, we're actually very close to both Virginia and West Virginia, and VERY close to Maryland.
Thanks, Emm! I have been studying maps (plural, since I couldn't find a good one) of West Virginia and surrounding states, trying to get an idea of the geography and I think I now understand how it works. I certainly see the eastern panhandle! Thanks for taking the time to explain it! I am sorry you have too much snow!!!

Hugs,
Deb
34.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
No end in sight here.... Crazy....
32.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/10/2010 7:16:03 PM

Date:
2/10/2010 7:12:50 PM

Deb, we''re actually in extreme southern Pennsylvania, right on the Maryland line. The closest major city to us is Hagerstown, MD (which is where I grew up). Although we live in Pennsylvania, we''re actually very close to both Virginia and West Virginia, and VERY close to Maryland.
Thanks, Emm! I have been studying maps (plural, since I couldn''t find a good one) of West Virginia and surrounding states, trying to get an idea of the geography and I think I now understand how it works. I certainly see the eastern panhandle! Thanks for taking the time to explain it! I am sorry you have too much snow!!!

Hugs,
Deb
34.gif
No problem, Deb! And thank YOU for posting the map of CT earlier . . . I''m not at all familiar with CT and the map was very helpful!
35.gif

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The northern outskirts of baltimore, md.. it looks like something out of a fairytale

at the edges of my parents' property

990999BLIZRD-1.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

990999BLIZRD-2.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

990999BLIZRD-3.jpg

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2010 7:30:54 PM
Author: Kaleigh
32.gif

How much do you have now Lisa? Still coming?

It seems to finally be done here, though it is blowing everywhere and the roads are still not passable.

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
I think it has stopped snowing here. I have no idea how much we got. It is too hard to tell between what has blown around and what fell from the sky. I tried to take pictures earlier, but it was blowing too much to see past arms legnth. I have taken some this evening. It is hard to tell the depth and DH will not let me go outside tonight. Here are some that I took. Tomorrow we are going to go out and take some better pictures because this is one for the history books and it needs to be documented. This first one is my porch. There is a chair on the left that is gone, and that is a standard sized grill

porchmcp.jpg

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
This is the hill that the blowing snow created. The low areas are ground level. This is to the left of my door.

hillmcp.jpg

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
This is DHs truck. It is a huge Dodge Ram 1500. Thank goodness I am parked on the other side and there is a row of pine trees to keep that amount of snow from being next to my car because it would be up most of my door and maybe even some window.

dhtruckmcp.jpg

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
My neighbor rang my doorbell a few minutes ago to let me know, someone almost hit my husband''s car. He was parked in front of the house and the car slid back at an odd angle to his car and got stuck like that...

IMG_8182.JPG

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
This is how close he was to hitting my husband''s car. Everytime he tried to move, his car would start sliding backwards...

IMG_8189.JPG

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
I have a friend that works for an insurance company handling claims and she said they are coming in so fast her team cannot keep up. I guess there isnt any way for him to back up his vehicle so that the next time that van comes sliding backwards it will clear his car.

Does anyone live in Harford County MD. DH and I have Dish Network and we are not allowed to get the MD local channel package and that is what we really need. The PA local channel package tells us more about Harrisburg and Philly. We are hours away from that. If anyone does please let me know what the news is saying about the conditions in MD so we know what is going on.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/10/2010 8:44:58 PM
Author: butterfly 17
This is how close he was to hitting my husband's car. Everytime he tried to move, his car would start sliding backwards...
Wow... is there any way to slip a rubber sheet or garbage bag filled with snow or something between the cars - for some padding, at least?

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2010 8:49:56 PM
Author: radiantquest
I have a friend that works for an insurance company handling claims and she said they are coming in so fast her team cannot keep up. I guess there isnt any way for him to back up his vehicle so that the next time that van comes sliding backwards it will clear his car.

My husband went out and dug his car out and backed up. The driver was nowhere in sight and there was another car stuck behind him trying to get down the road. the way the van was angled out, no one could get passed him.

finally the driver showed up and my husband helped him dig his car out (he only has front wheel drive) and then he got stuck in front of the house to the left of mine. He is still there and dangerously close to my neighbor''s car now. There are two cars waiting behind him, waiting for him to move, but he keeps sliding everytime he hits the gas.

I feel really bad for him.
7.gif

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2010 9:07:47 PM
Author: yssie

This is how close he was to hitting my husband''s car. Everytime he tried to move, his car would start sliding backwards...

Wow... is there any way to slip a rubber sheet or garbage bag filled with snow or something between the cars - for some padding, at least?

He was abe to move finally, but now he''s stuck in front of my neighbor''s house. There are two cars stuck behind him, I wonder if they can just back up down the road, but it''s kind of dangerous. You can see on of the cars in the first picture.

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
Wow... now that is close!

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/10/2010 7:12:50 PM
1.gif
I was in your area yesterday, before I got sick. It was snowing pretty good by 1:30 when I left Whitetail. The backroads were very scary. Can''t imagine being there now. It''s still coming down pretty good in MD. It''s so windy, it''s hard to tell how much is blowing and how much is coming down. We have drifts over 6'' high in spots.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2010 8:08:54 PM
Author: icekid

Date: 2/10/2010 7:30:54 PM
Author: Kaleigh
32.gif

How much do you have now Lisa? Still coming?

It seems to finally be done here, though it is blowing everywhere and the roads are still not passable.
Still snowing but seems to have slowed a bit. Man, this has been one for the record books for sure.....
32.gif
11.gif
20.gif
24.gif

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
I''m in Alexandria VA... I''d say we got 10-12 inches today. I didn''t measure.

I couldn''t get the dog to go out all day today. I shovels paths last snow storm, but because of the conditions, didn''t venture out to do so today... then she pooped on the floor.
20.gif

So I kicked her out to do her business. I need to reshovel her grassy patch, which is covered in about a foot of snow, and too much for her to handle, but I did have to wander out into the storm to take her potty, and NEITHER of us were very pleased.

honestly, just glad I''m not in B-more, where they were supposed to get 20-30 inches!
14.gif
And this wind is insane!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results