shape
carat
color
clarity

* The February 9, 10 & 11 East Coast Blizzard Thread *

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I thought that this second snowstorm, which is supposed to be a blizzard when it gets to my area (the coast of Connecticut), deserved its own thread. Flakes are already on the ground...although not here.

vc10um wrote in another thread today at 9:51:08 PM:

"It's been snowing here since about 5 PM...big, fluffy flakes!
NWS downgraded predicted totals to 7-14' for us instead of 10-20'...can't say I'm disappointed.
Feds are closed again tomorrow."

AGBF
34.gif

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, this one should be 5"-10", closer to the 5" mark. But there is another storm on President''s Day that will be 3"-6".

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
2/9/2010 11:25:34 PM
Author: february2003bride

Yeah, this one should be 5'-10', closer to the 5' mark. But there is another storm on President's Day that will be 3'-6'.
I remember reading where you are, februarybride, but I cannot dredge it up out of my memory bank. Are you in the District?

AGBF
34.gif

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
Wooooo hooooo!!! The DUMP has begun on the Jersey Shore!!! (not like the show...but thanks for asking.) Hoping for a snow day
1.gif

IloveAsschers13

Brilliant_Rock
Hey I'm not on the East Coast, but I am in MI and we have already gotten about 5' today!! And 3-4 more are expected overnight. My field placement at a local is already canceled- woohoo! Love this snow. We also have a severe winter storm watch.

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
I''m in Boston and coming from a last minute mad dash to the grocery store.

emilina22

Brilliant_Rock
here in chicago its been snowing non-stop since super early this morning, its finally slowing down but not stopping, we''re hearing that the snow is up to about 10 inches now and its only gonna keep coming down through tomorrow night or Thursday...

driving home from work you could barely see anything past 4 cars in front of you so its been pretty bad

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
The snow started fast and furious. I have already shoveld 6 inches of snow?? I had to make a path for the doggies to do their business.

I am tortured as my Son is in the ER in Hartford tonight and can't get to him. He's got a bad infection. We looked into getting a plane but the weather was a no go.

So we sit, we wait, we hope and we pray. My baby has to make it. I know he will. But gosh he's been through soooo much lately. My little scooby doo, I adore you.
12.gif
I only wish I could be with you tonight.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
2/10/2010 12:07:11 AM
Author: Kaleigh

I am tortured as my Son is in the ER in Hartford tonight and can't get to him. He's got a bad infection. We looked into getting a plane but the weather was a no go.

So we sit, we wait, we hope and we pray. My baby has to make it. I know he will. But gosh he's been through soooo much lately. My little scooby doo, I adore you.
12.gif
I only wish I could be with you tonight.

Oh, no, Lisa! Do you have adult family members or close friends who can be at the hospital with him? I know he has his friends, but I can't remember if you have adults in your network!

Hugs,
Deb
34.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes we have people we can call upon. Not good friends, but friends none the less. Thanks Deb,

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Wooo-hooo! Snow day here in SE Michigan!
36.gif

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/10/2010 1:10:27 AM
Author: Tuckins1
Wooo-hooo! Snow day here in SE Michigan!
36.gif
I know! I don''t have to go to class tomorrow!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wednesday, February 10
Southwestern Connecticut

When I woke up this morning (at 5:15), it was snowing and there was, as had been promised, a dusting of snow on the ground and other surfaces. Originally we had been told that we would get a foot and a half of snow (18"). Later reports said we would get 6-12 ". Now the latest report puts our area close to the heavy snow area again, but that is only 18". It isn't the amount of snow (alone) that is causing the concern, but the fact that by the time the storm gets going, that it will have high winds and low temperatures (much lower than the last one). So here there is an expectation of downed power lines and frigid temperatures. I have to say that people here always get hysterical when we have snow, though :). It's because we don't get enough of it to be really used to it. This isn't Portland, Maine or Buffalo, New York although I remember big snows when I was a child :).

AGBF
34.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
We''re supposed to get hit with 10-12" today, starting around noon and extending out overnight. The worst is supposed to hit this afternoon going into rush hour. While we''re well equipped here in the Boston area to deal with snow, these day time storms cause big problems. When traffic gets backed up and gridlocked then the plows and salt trucks can''t get through and the highways end up even bigger messes than they would be otherwise. I live south of the city so I''ll have the fun task of driving into the storm to get home. Luckily we have a 4WD Jeep, but even that wont save you if you hit an icy patch. Good luck everyone, stay off the roads if you can and stay safe.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
8:45 AM, Outside the District:

We have white out conditions going on around here, and they''ve upped expected totals back up to 10-18" (they had dropped to 7-14 for awhile...)

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2010 11:31:30 PM
Author: AGBF

Date:
2/9/2010 11:25:34 PM
Author: february2003bride

Yeah, this one should be 5''-10'', closer to the 5'' mark. But there is another storm on President''s Day that will be 3''-6''.
I remember reading where you are, februarybride, but I cannot dredge it up out of my memory bank. Are you in the District?

AGBF
34.gif
AGBF- I''m in Eastern Loudoun County! I took a few pictures this morning and will post them soon. It''s crazy out there right now! We have wind gusts of 45+ mph!

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
My mailbox is pretty much gone now!

iusedtohaveamailbox.jpg

purselover

Ideal_Rock
I''m so excited about the snow! We''re expecting over a foot and we already have a solid coating. I made it into work okay ......here''s hoping I get home okay, everythings running on a shortened schedule.
40.gif

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2010 12:50:58 AM
Author: Kaleigh
Yes we have people we can call upon. Not good friends, but friends none the less. Thanks Deb,
Oh dear, Kaleigh...I just read about your son. Thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. (((HUGS)))

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
We''re getting it in NYC! It started last night at around 7 or 8 but no real accumulation until over night. It''s hard to tell how much we have because they keep the streets and sidewalks clean but I would guess we have a couple inches. It''s supposed to continue all day into the night. So excited!!!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
So far it's pretty sad here in Connecticut (and I'm even in the area considered the "snow belt" north of I-84). It's still snowing, but we have less than an inch on the ground currently. I'm still waiting to see if it gets a lot worse, but for now it's pretty tame. DH stayed home from work because last time it snowed he spent 2.5 hrs to go 5 miles on the highway and just come back home. So he's just working from home today and we're having a snow day
1.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
It just started here in MA

charbie

Ideal_Rock
im in ohio- close enough! we got 10 inches last week/end, and yesterday everything was a level 1 or 2 snow emergency due to another 5 inches that fell.

waiting on about 3 more inches to fall today! eeek!

GoingCrazy29

Shiny_Rock
We got out of school early yesterday and are closed today. It stinks cause we were supposed to have Friday off, andI would have much preferred having Friday off than today. My husband is still in Mexico, so I''m all snowed in and alone. I guess I''ll have to go shovel my car out again today. I am over the snow!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
2/10/2010 9:54:02 AM
Author: elrohwen

So far it's pretty sad here in Connecticut (and I'm even in the area considered the 'snow belt' north of I-84). It's still snowing, but we have less than an inch on the ground currently. I'm still waiting to see if it gets a lot worse, but for now it's pretty tame.
Yeah, but elrohwen, the "snow belt" is not having a turn this time. This time it's the "I-95 Corridor" (otherwise known as the coast) that is getting the brunt of the snowstorm! That means that I get snow this time, not you :). Sometimes we get coastal storms here, although I have to admit that "north of the Merritt Parkway" here in southwestern Connecticut usually gets more. The Long Island Sound moderates our temperatures, I think.

AGBF
34.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2010 10:38:17 AM

Date:

So far it''s pretty sad here in Connecticut (and I''m even in the area considered the ''snow belt'' north of I-84). It''s still snowing, but we have less than an inch on the ground currently. I''m still waiting to see if it gets a lot worse, but for now it''s pretty tame.

Yeah, but elrohwen, the ''snow belt'' is not having a turn this time. This time it''s the ''I-95 Corridor'' (otherwise known as the coast) that is getting the brunt of the snowstorm! That means that I get snow this time, not you :). Sometimes we get coastal storms here, although I have to admit that ''north of the Merritt Parkway'' here in southwestern Connecticut usually gets more. The Long Island Sound moderates our temperatures, I think.

AGBF

34.gif

Yep, this exactly! We''re supposed to get hammered in SE Mass, right along I-95. In fact, my afternoon will be spent stuck in traffic on I-95 south.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Bring on the snow!! Since we''re only getting a foot (and not 20 inches on top of 30 inches like the DC area), I''m super excited! I''m going to go home at lunch and work from home in the afternoon so I don''t have to drive home when there is more than a few inches on the ground.

When I was going into the office this morning I noticed nearly everybody outside was wearing boots in preparation for the snow. Haha, this morning there wasn''t a single flake on the ground, but everybody is prepared. I also noticed a lot of kids at Starbucks this morning since there is no school :)

HH, when I looked at the map of the hardest-hit areas, I immediately thought of you and KeepingtheFaith--you are both in the area that is getting hit with the most snow. I hope you can get out early today!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
finally...snow in NYC...:)

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks NEL, I love snow storms, I just hate getting stuck in traffic during one. My 1:00 meeting was moved to 11:00 so I''m hoping to leave soon after. It''s not doing much of anything up here in Quincy right now, but I have to drive 30-40 minutes south to get home and that could be a whole different story.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2010 10:38:17 AM

Date:

So far it's pretty sad here in Connecticut (and I'm even in the area considered the 'snow belt' north of I-84). It's still snowing, but we have less than an inch on the ground currently. I'm still waiting to see if it gets a lot worse, but for now it's pretty tame.
Yeah, but elrohwen, the 'snow belt' is not having a turn this time. This time it's the 'I-95 Corridor' (otherwise known as the coast) that is getting the brunt of the snowstorm! That means that I get snow this time, not you :). Sometimes we get coastal storms here, although I have to admit that 'north of the Merritt Parkway' here in southwestern Connecticut usually gets more. The Long Island Sound moderates our temperatures, I think.

AGBF
34.gif
You're right - I noticed that Greenwich already has 4.5", while we probably just hit an inch. Though there are reports that lower Dutchess County and Litchfield County (I'm basically on the Fairfield/Litchfield border and close to Dutchess) are supposed to get 8-16" - so I don't think it's just the coast (though you guys are getting more than us at the moment). I'm waiting to see when this 8-16" falls. Maybe it'll just wait for the afternoon or something.

I want lots of snow!!
3.gif
I'd love to have a foot or so, or more.

H_H and everyone else - drive safe! I hope you don't end up stuck in traffic all afternoon. I once spent 5 hours driving in snow traffic and it's horrible.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results