shape
carat
color
clarity

the danger of wearing the same old necklace every day...

beadchick

Shiny_Rock
is that you get bored. Then you obsess about other types of jewelry on pricescope and what you like the best. Then you find the pearls forum...and the show me your pearls topic...and finally, you get addicted.

I have now purchased last month my first strand of white freshwaters and the tin cup special (god I hate calling it a "tin cup") from pearl paradise last month. Now, I have just purchased my first pair of tahitian studs from the pearl outlet. Originally $350, now $195. How do you pass THAT up? In my defense, I DID pay for them with my debit card AND, I just got a new job :appl: (I deserve a reward), AND, I've been working a ton lately (I'm in my last year of fellowship training, so I gotta get something out of all the extra hours, right?)

I wonder what a justifiable pearl budget is on a month to month basis? Or maybe I am obsessed... :love:

tzelin

Rough_Rock
Once you start buying pearls, you wont be able to stop! :lol: The thing with pearls is that they come in so many different shapes, sizes and colors! Not to mention the different types too.

Right now, I can only afford freshwaters, but am saving up for some south seas. :naughty:

If I amnot mistaken, the term "tin-cup" is derived from the movie of the same name, in which the main actress ware it throughout the film. I love tin cups by the way! They are just so pretty!

jeweln

Brilliant_Rock
me too ! in the last 6 months I have bought at least a dozen freshwater pearl necklaces .after reading the pearl forum ,I have discovered pearls suddenly .

I got their 9-10mm AAA ones and they are lovely! I think you will really like them.

beadchick

Shiny_Rock
The earrings just game and they are great! One has kind of a pinky overtone and the other is more of a blue-er gray. Will try to take pics of all my loot tomorrow during the day so I can post. I don't think they'll look as nice at this time of day. AND, they are huge. I was thinking of getting a 8-9mm strand of akoyas, I think I'll stick with my original 6.5-7mm idea. But, I do love the new earrings.

And, they sent me a 10% off card...why do I feel another purchase coming on...?

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations ladies on all of your new pearls.

From an old pearl collector to new pearl collectors one bit of advice...When you buy pearls buy the best you can afford AA+ or even better AAA then your collection will stand the test of time and be just as nice 30 or 40 years from now. It is only by chance that I did this when I started buying my pearls 40 years ago and today they are just as beautiful as they were then.

Pearls are like potato chips you can't just have one :mrgreen:

I agree.. buy the best.. but also buy what you like! I have some cheaper items that I L O V E.. and some more expensive ones that I don't care for as much.

I am SO PICKY.. and I think you need to be. No sense in having a bunch of pearls you won't wear!

Buy quality and buy what you like! :)

beadchick

Shiny_Rock
So, here's my new question: do tahitian earrings come in smallish sizes (6-7mm)? I have little earlobes and the new ones are killing me. I tried some of those flat disc earring backs, but they feel lose. Any other suggestions to keep them straight on my ear?

They need to be kept very tight! The other option is to have them changed to leverbacks instead (like a dangly?)

Tahitians don't really come in small sizes- but I'm sure you could find some 8mm ones.
PP has them 8-9mm for $300 or so... I'm sure you could call around and see if they have any 7.5-8.5??

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
BeadChick. Go to RioGrande dot com and look at this item. Clear Acrylic Comfort Disc Item 631033 Comes in a pack of 100 for under $10.00 They go behind your ear and you use the regular earring backs that came with your earrings. They hold huge South Sea Pearls upright on the ear and don't tip forward.

aaacrylic.jpg

beadchick

Shiny_Rock
OOH, I"m gonna get those. Great idea, Nacrelover. I did find some of those old earring backs that have the discs, but the posts don't match the size of the earring backs and they are slippy.

I didn't know they had unattached discs...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results