shape
carat
color
clarity

The Clueless Jade Collector (MM's Jade thread)

PJL72

Rough_Rock
Sorry to bug, but can someone tell me what this stone is? I found it in an old quarry/riverbed and it stood out amongst all the other river rocks. Its heavy, cold, and when I scratched it with an ice pick, traces of steel were left behind w NO gouging. Thankyou for your time 1594931503685.jpg 1594931503685.jpg 1594931503685.jpg 20200716_133950.jpg

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Sorry to bug, but can someone tell me what this stone is? I found it in an old quarry/riverbed and it stood out amongst all the other river rocks. Its heavy, cold, and when I scratched it with an ice pick, traces of steel were left behind w NO gouging. Thankyou for your time 1594931503685.jpg 1594931503685.jpg 1594931503685.jpg 20200716_133950.jpg

There are a few facebook groups for jade hunters. Check out "friends of jade" and post there. I think it looks like nephrite, but there are other stones that look like nephrite too. Where was the river.

PJL72

Rough_Rock
Alameda creek.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Alameda creek.

Well, California does have jade, but I don't know that area. You might want to reach out to your local Gem and Mineral society for help.

Is it very heavy and cold to the touch?...oops. I re-read what you wrote - no scratches with a knife, heavy and cold...sounds very possible.

PJL72

Rough_Rock
Well, California does have jade, but I don't know that area. You might want to reach out to your local Gem and Mineral society for help.

Is it very heavy and cold to the touch?...oops. I re-read what you wrote - no scratches with a knife, heavy and cold...sounds very possible.

I appreciate your time. Alameda Creek is located in Fremont Ca. which is between San Francisco and San Jose. I tried scratching w an ice pick but it only created a spine-chilling squeak and no grooves.

AJadecent Angle

Rough_Rock
I've been busy buying jades, both nephrite and jadeite. They are not the finest quality...I've been living up to my magpie collection tendencies and limited budget. My collection is modest and not the best of PS by a long shot. However, I am learning from my mistakes, so that is something. Since I have a little of everything now, I will move forward more deliberately. I have one more jadeite bangle on the way -it is baby blue with a fine texture to replace one I loved, but was too small for comfort.

These are my grade A jadeites to date. The bracelet with the yellow patch may have a spot treatment where it glows under UV. It has a NQTC cert,so not sure if this could be a natural occurrence (?).

20200712_084612.jpg
20200712_084601.jpg

Wow! I'm definitely late but I've gotten pieces from gojade and definitely say the red/brown/yellow pieces from her (and generally coming from other sellers) are heat treated since a element giving the jade a yellow/brown look become red due to it being dehydrated to give it the burnt red look. So in China, they still consider heat treated jade grade A since technically the jade structure isn't physically altered, just chemically altered by intense heat. I personally believe NQTC is legit as I know another ebay seller who has certs coming from them as well dating from 2018-2019.
Oh and I scanned the barcode for the treated green jade bangle you posted earlier and it's definitely a fake (cause it led me to the aforementioned adult pleasure advertisements) :???:
quite embarrassing to open up in front of relatives.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Wow! I'm definitely late but I've gotten pieces from gojade and definitely say the red/brown/yellow pieces from her (and generally coming from other sellers) are heat treated since a element giving the jade a yellow/brown look become red due to it being dehydrated to give it the burnt red look. So in China, they still consider heat treated jade grade A since technically the jade structure isn't physically altered, just chemically altered by intense heat. I personally believe NQTC is legit as I know another ebay seller who has certs coming from them as well dating from 2018-2019.
Oh and I scanned the barcode for the treated green jade bangle you posted earlier and it's definitely a fake (cause it led me to the aforementioned adult pleasure advertisements) :???:
quite embarrassing to open up in front of relatives.
Thanks for the information, @AJadecent Angle. I am so sorry you opened that in an embarrassing situation with family! The green bangle is deteriorating over time, getting a little more spiderwebbed, although still green. Looking back I just should have known.

AJadecent Angle

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the information, @AJadecent Angle. I am so sorry you opened that in an embarrassing situation with family! The green bangle is deteriorating over time, getting a little more spiderwebbed, although still green. Looking back I just should have known.

No worries, we all gotta make mistakes to learn and take it as experience (even if our bank accounts will be sobbing in the process :lol-2:)
I personally think you can learn alot more of jade in Chinese sites that specializes in jade, I even have a bookmarked jade forum site that specifically posts pictures of B+C jades that is definitely a lifesaver so I may as well post it here!
Link (Google Translate needed)

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
No worries, we all gotta make mistakes to learn and take it as experience (even if our bank accounts will be sobbing in the process :lol-2:)
I personally think you can learn alot more of jade in Chinese sites that specializes in jade, I even have a bookmarked jade forum site that specifically posts pictures of B+C jades that is definitely a lifesaver so I may as well post it here!
Link (Google Translate needed)

Oh, I am sure I am learning a little more about jade. I am paying dearly for it too! I'll check the link out - thank you!

AJadecent Angle

Rough_Rock
I appreciate your time. Alameda Creek is located in Fremont Ca. which is between San Francisco and San Jose. I tried scratching w an ice pick but it only created a spine-chilling squeak and no grooves.

My take on this is this could be any metamorphic rock other than nephrite, a bone chilling squeak that makes steel leave a streak that can be wiped off just means the hardness is definitely higher than a 4-5.5. Unfortunately we can only guess whether it’s really nephrite or a lookalike unless you send it off to a lab to identify it. Sorry if this wasn’t the answer you wanted :confused2:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Incoming from Ultimate Jadeite. My first piece of icy jade. Nandar's picture. I am so excited for this one.

Stone Size -- approx 17.1mm x 12.3mm
Thickness of stone -- approx 5.5mm
Weight -- 5.2 g (26 ct)
Color -- faint blue grey
Luster -- Vitreous
Transparency -- Translucent
Texture -- Fine

il_1588xN.3567944268_n3km.jpg
il_1588xN.3615563643_6vvt.jpg

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
The ring is here and I love it. The lighting here is indoor LED. I have not seen it in sunlight yet.

IMG-1704.jpg
IMG-1705.jpg

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I've been bad.

I picked up a new icy flower bangle on LT from another PSer. That will come soon.

Then, I picked up a new bangle (cheapie) from Ultimate Jadeite because I liked its strong graphics and translucency. The texture is not fine, but that's okay. More flowers.

dark flowers.gif

But then I found this, so I bought it too. I shouldn't have. But that green!
it's so tiny though
Jade Measurement
10.1 x 6.8 x 2.5 (mm)

13mm.gif
side.gif

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It is indeed a gorgeous piece of jadeite. :love: In my view that price was a steal.

It's the perfect size for a ring but would require some creativity and a very good jeweler to make it work.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Thank you @prs I am so excited. I just made a change to a slightly larger pendant, but the same look and color. I can't wait!

16 x 8.8 x 2.6 (mm) jade

Screenshot 2022-03-06 200158.gif

Last edited:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
The bangle came from Ultimate Jadeite. I was attracted to the high contrast stormy and icy look. I can easily get it on with lotion and notice going smaller than my white and green flower bangle is nice. More comfortable to wear and it does not slide up when I sleep.

Lesson learned that a little smaller feels better. I wonder how much smaller is good until I am at "too small", Hmmmm.

icystorm.jpg

IMG-2004 (2).JPG

demantoidz

Brilliant_Rock
The bangle came from Ultimate Jadeite. I was attracted to the high contrast stormy and icy look. I can easily get it on with lotion and notice going smaller than my white and green flower bangle is nice. More comfortable to wear and it does not slide up when I sleep.

Lesson learned that a little smaller feels better. I wonder how much smaller is good until I am at "too small", Hmmmm.

So beautiful. I am barely beginning to learn about jade. I am especially loving 'moss in snow' jade, which I think this is.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you very much! I have kept it on every day since it arrived. It is so comfortable.

Beautiful,@MMtwo !!!
I adore the little green leaf, also!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
So beautiful. I am barely beginning to learn about jade. I am especially loving 'moss in snow' jade, which I think this is.

Thank you, Demantoids. I really like a high contrast bangle too. The flower patterns are enticing.

HA, I was the blunder kid for the first year, I bought serpentine, dyed jade, treated jade, compressed quartz crystals that crumbled as soon as I took it out of the box.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results