shape
carat
color
clarity

The Bubblegum Ring is SET!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
So, I was really hoping to get the setting for the bubblegum ring for our anniversary, but in the days and weeks leading up to it, my DH claimed he hadn't ordered it, it hadn't come yet, etc. I had resigned myself to the possibility that maybe it would be a Christmas gift.

So, we're on our way out to dinner that evening, and as we were driving by the grocery store, my DH said "Well, let's at least get you a placeholder for the bubblegum ring, here's a quarter". We pulled in, and went into the store.

Oh, no! Only gumballs, erasers and toy dinosaurs! "Well, might as well get an eraser, we're here", he says. He knows I collect the stupid little erasers, too (how lame am I?). I put the quarter in, turned the knob and he pulls out the plastic bubble. He hands it to me and it appears to have a piece of paper. And the ring! I was so surprised! :appl:

He had pulled the old slight-of-hand, he had the ring the whole time, and had set the stone himself (a man and his pliers. . . it's a beautiful thing. :D ).

The piece of paper said "Keep out of reach of children. MAY CAUSE CHOKING up of emotion." plus some mushy stuff I won't go into. That guy just gets me. :bigsmile:

So, here it is, in all it's cheap and cheerful glory: the bubblegum ring.

tednring.jpg

incandescent.jpg

bubblegumring.jpg

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, its beautiful! He did good. Tell me about the stone again??

iLander

Ideal_Rock
For background, this is the garnet that I got from Barry, 8mm round. I had to beat out several PSer's during Barry's usual Wed night update to get it!

The garnet showed up on Barry's Chelsea filter with a Huge amount of chrome in it, which is not normal for garnets. It's a freak of nature! I've taken some pics of the stone next to my tiny ruby, and a "regular" almandine garnet earring, so you can see the difference in different lights. It really is a lot brighter than either of the other stones, and much more sparkly.

Sorry, some of the pics are SO blurry!

So, it took a while, but I found a pretty pure red stone, and put it in a ring, for around $300. And they said it couldn't be done . . . :naughty:

I do feel a little guilty though, it's an amazing stone for such a cheesy setting. Maybe someday I'll halo it.

Or maybe not . . . :bigsmile:

3stonesincand.jpg

sunlight3stones.JPG

sunlight23stones.JPG

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
What a great story! At any point did you suspect what was going on?

And the ring turned out beautifully! :appl: :appl:

You know we are going to need some profile shots, don't you?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Pure delicious gorgeousness!!! Congratulations, and what a great guy you've got too!

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
It's lovely! That stone blows your other reds out of the water.

And Happy Anniversary!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
FANTASTIC!!!
Sooo worth the hunt and the wait. :appl: :appl:

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Awesome ring from an awesome guy. I love, love, love that ring. My red garnets don't look anything like that, as you clearly know. Garnets rarely look like yours.

Enjoy!!! :appl:

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
A great ring an inspiring story and oh what a guy. So sweet! Thanks for sharing :)

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
GORGEOUS!

It is seriously stunning.

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
:appl: :appl: :appl: :love: :wavey: :D

Oh iLander I am sooooo happy for you. It is lovely and your Husband is so wonderful for doing that for you!!! I have a stupid smile on my face right now just because it's so cute and awesome. I wouldn't care if the setting is cheap, it looks like 2 million dollars! Thank you for sharing.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG! It’s huge, it’s red and it’s gorgeous! It’s sparkly too and if I didn’t know the background story, I would have guessed a very good quality rubellite! Plus, you’ve got a good man there too. You’ve definitely shown that nothing is impossible – with lots of patience, you managed something very red and large for a very small budget. In short, you did good! :appl:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
wonderful story!

MoZo

tenorgirl33

Rough_Rock
That looks fantastic!

And such a cute story to go along with it!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It looks great! Definetly a keeper (and the guy isn't half bad either :bigsmile:). I am so glad to be proved wrong , since I was one of the nay sayers who thought it couldn't be done.

pixies

Shiny_Rock
That is so sweet of your husband! That stone! I'm totally coveting right now :love: . I love that you set it in yellow gold. It looks yummy! Happy anniversary!

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring is gorgeous! I was just thinking the other day, "When are we going to see that bubblegum ring?" And the color is out of this world :love: Your husband is very sweet to have planned such a surprise. Happy anniversary!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know what I like better, that story or that ring! Please don't for one minute call that setting "cheesey." Although that stone can hold its own with any embellishments, it looks gorgeous in all its simple elegance. (And this coming from one of the ones you beat out to get it... :naughty: )

You deserve the ring - and the husband

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Great stone! Great ring! Greatest DH!!!

--- Laurie

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Wow, that turned out really well! I'm coveting that garnet, and even though I love halos, I think it looks fabulous in that yellow gold setting!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It does great!

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
Its great! I think the red color is perfect. I am so glad that it is done. What a nice DH. Suprises you with it...Send him kisses from me, that was so sweet. What an awesome night for you. You finally have your bubblegum ring and a brand new eraser! :appl:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I came back to the computer, and you guys made me smile! :bigsmile:

Aoife|1291731826|2789781 said:
What a great story! At any point did you suspect what was going on?
And the ring turned out beautifully! :appl: :appl:
You know we are going to need some profile shots, don't you?

Thanks, Aoife! I kind of wondered when we turned into the grocery store parking lot, but I couldn't figure out if/how he was going to do it! I guess I'll shoot a couple more, but it's just a standard solitaire, not too exciting.

Upgradable|1291731884|2789784 said:
Pure delicious gorgeousness!!! Congratulations, and what a great guy you've got too!

Thanks, Uppy! Yes, I am very lucky to have found him AND the stone!

Kismet|1291732796|2789799 said:
It's lovely! That stone blows your other reds out of the water. And Happy Anniversary!

Thanks, Kismet! I was surprised that the ruby really didn't hold up in the different lights. I used to think it was pretty decent . . .

VapidLapid|1291733311|2789809 said:
FANTASTIC!!! Sooo worth the hunt and the wait. :appl: :appl:

Thanks, VL! Sometimes, you just gotta believe . . . :praise:

Fly Girl|1291735159|2789828 said:
Awesome ring from an awesome guy. I love, love, love that ring. My red garnets don't look anything like that, as you clearly know. Garnets rarely look like yours. Enjoy!!! :appl:

Thanks, FlyGirl! Yes, both the stone and the hubby are one in a million. :))

mariedtiger|1291737476|2789862 said:
A great ring an inspiring story and oh what a guy. So sweet! Thanks for sharing :)

Thanks, MT! You're very kind. . .

IndyLady|1291738279|2789872 said:
GORGEOUS! It is seriously stunning.

Thanks, IL! It's really cheers me up!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Treenbean|1291738457|2789877 said:
:appl: :appl: :appl: :love: :wavey: :D

Oh iLander I am sooooo happy for you. It is lovely and your Husband is so wonderful for doing that for you!!! I have a stupid smile on my face right now just because it's so cute and awesome. I wouldn't care if the setting is cheap, it looks like 2 million dollars! Thank you for sharing.

Awwww . . . thanks, Treenbean! I'm glad the story could make you smile :)) To ME, it's worth the 2 million and the guy is priceless. :bigsmile:

Chrono|1291744165|2789970 said:
OMG! It’s huge, it’s red and it’s gorgeous! It’s sparkly too and if I didn’t know the background story, I would have guessed a very good quality rubellite! Plus, you’ve got a good man there too. You’ve definitely shown that nothing is impossible – with lots of patience, you managed something very red and large for a very small budget. In short, you did good! :appl:
Thanks, Chrono! I spent years hunting in jewelry stores, antiques malls, etc, but it's PS that made all the difference in finally making the silly little dream come true.

movie zombie|1291744421|2789976 said:
wonderful story! MoZo
Thanks, MoZo, nice to see a fellow pearl poster!

tenorgirl33|1291746596|2790006 said:
That looks fantastic! And such a cute story to go along with it!
Thanks for the kind words, tenorgirl,

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Lady_Disdain|1291748601|2790040 said:
It looks great! Definetly a keeper (and the guy isn't half bad either :bigsmile:). I am so glad to be proved wrong , since I was one of the nay sayers who thought it couldn't be done.

Thanks, LD and that's okay, I didn't actually believe you :naughty: :lol:

pixies|1291751942|2790079 said:
That is so sweet of your husband! That stone! I'm totally coveting right now :love: . I love that you set it in yellow gold. It looks yummy! Happy anniversary!

Thanks, Pixie! It's in yellow gold because when I grew up (in the '70's :shock: ) everything was in yellow gold, even the fake plastic jewelry. I'm not sure we actually had much white gold . . . hmmm. . .

baby nurse|1291752117|2790085 said:
Your ring is gorgeous! I was just thinking the other day, "When are we going to see that bubblegum ring?" And the color is out of this world :love: Your husband is very sweet to have planned such a surprise. Happy anniversary!

Thank you, Baby Nurse! I kept procrastinating on the setting, it was such fun to just fiddle with it when it was loose. But now that it's set, I'm wondering why I didn't do it before.

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring and kudos to your sneaky husband! Happy anniversary!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1291753981|2790113 said:
I don't know what I like better, that story or that ring! Please don't for one minute call that setting "cheesey." Although that stone can hold its own with any embellishments, it looks gorgeous in all its simple elegance. (And this coming from one of the ones you beat out to get it... :naughty: )

You deserve the ring - and the husband
AWWWWW . . . thank you, minousbijoux! I'm still looking for a red stone for you, don't worry, we'll find it! :)) Did you see Litnon's new stones? :naughty:

JewelFreak|1291754605|2790122 said:
Great stone! Great ring! Greatest DH!!! --- Laurie
Thank you, Laurie, he likes to remind me of that every once in a while. :lol:

cellentani|1291754872|2790127 said:
Wow, that turned out really well! I'm coveting that garnet, and even though I love halos, I think it looks fabulous in that yellow gold setting!
Thanks, Cellentani! It's pretty simple, and I kind of like just presenting the stone all by itself.

crasru|1291757082|2790156 said:
It does great!
Thank you, Crasru! :wavey:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
radiantquest|1291760428|2790235 said:
Its great! I think the red color is perfect. I am so glad that it is done. What a nice DH. Suprises you with it...Send him kisses from me, that was so sweet. What an awesome night for you. You finally have your bubblegum ring and a brand new eraser! :appl:

I did what you said, radiantquest, and told him one of the forum ladies said to give him a kiss. He perked right up and said "I like this forum thing!" :bigsmile:

Actually, now that you mention it, where DID the eraser go?

herekittykitty|1291731107|2789772 said:
Wow, its beautiful! He did good. Tell me about the stone again??

Hope my second post answered your questions, herekitty. :wavey:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
alene|1291770942|2790403 said:
Beautiful ring and kudos to your sneaky husband! Happy anniversary!

Thanks, Alene! We've been married 27 years, and he still manages to surprise me . . . I'm darn lucky, and I know it. :appl:

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, ilander, I love that ring!
The color is truly delicious, and the setting is great!
Actually, I have a Barry Green Tourmaline set like that, I love the simplicity!
Your stone is the star!
A color like that needs no embellishment!

And the guy ~ how special is that DH of yours? :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results