shape
carat
color
clarity

The Best Way to Clean a Diamond??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

poleary2000

Rough_Rock
I recently purchased a diamond and my fiance wants it to stay sparkling like the night we were engaged. Thus the question, what is the best way to do so? Old fashioned boiling water and dishwashing liquid, a fancy ultrasonic cleaner, Windex, or something else? I am not opposed to spending the money on a cleaner, however I just want to know what will do the job the best.

Also, if I buy an ultrasonic cleaner, does it have to be a fancy one or will the $10 special at Wal-Mart work?

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks in advance,
Patrick

Summer

Rough_Rock
P2000,

I was once told by a jeweler to place my ring in a strainer above (I place the strainer on the rim of the pot) a pot of boiling water with ammonia (I guess this steam cleans it somewhat) and that works great for me.

Here's a good article regarding cleaning at the following site.

http://www.gia.edu/wd_3720ar_5719.htm

Hope this helps!

clapton

Rough_Rock
A Steam Bullet works great. I know you can get them on e-bay for less, but I bought mine for $40 and it is worth every penny.

poleary2000

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the responses.

What I can gather from checking around is the following:

For light cleaning (weekly) - Use an ammonia based cleaner. This will not harm the diamond or setting in anyway. Soak overnight and brush lightly. Rinse with warm water.

For heavy cleaning - Use an ultrasonic cleaner. This will remove caked on dirt and oil. However, be careful because it may loosen the diamond if used to often or improperly.

Thus, for my newly engaged fiance, she will clean her's once a week with an ammonia based cleaner to prevent any of the dirt and oil build up. This will keep the diamond sparkling and save the cost of an expensive ultrasonic cleaner .

Any experts out there want to weigh in on this?

Thanks!
Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results