shape
carat
color
clarity

The bad thing about buying from a on-line vendor...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hhv

Rough_Rock
is that I don''t have a local jewler to take my rings in for cleaning or checking the prongs.

First, I don''t know which company I can trust in Northern, VA and second, I feel bad taking my rings in for checking and cleaning without having bought the ring from them.

Anyone else have this issue?

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
No, i've never had a problem. My ring is from a B&M, but when I want it cleaned, I can take it into ANY mall jeweler and they'll clean it. At Ben Bridge, they check the prongs w/out even asking if I purchased from them
2.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I believe Quest Jewelers is in Northern VA. if you do a search here you will see a bunch of threads about them. I had a custom ring made my them and i live several states away. It is run by 3 brothers and they are the nicest guys you will ever meet. Customer Satisfaction is their #1 priority.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I second Quest they are in the Tyson''s corner area of VA. They did a custom ring for me and I was very pleased with them.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
When you go to a "good" store, jeweler or hardware, they ought to welcome you as a customer. You are always a POTENTIAL customer. It is their job to make you their's. You can be polite and appreciative of their services, but they need to make you feel special and important to them. Don't feel at all guilty in starting a nice relationship with a local jeweler who others tell you is trustworthy.

They might not want to know that you bought over the Internet, so don't brag how smart you are. Just let them do their best to show you why they should be considered for the next purchase. Price is important, but it isn't all there is. I have spent many an extra dollar getting the service and attitude I thought I wanted. I paid for it, and I enjoyed it. My fancy car dealer treats me and my wife like we are special people. I love the experience and the car. It might not get me there sooner, but there is just something intangible about the buying experience that makes me spend the extra money for that brand and at that particular dealer. Its okay to make that choice although I was taught to feel guilty about it by my parents. I no longer feel the guilt! The again, I am past the parent / child age relationship.....into the grandfather / child thing now. I am spending my children's inheritance....YES!

johnmcm

Rough_Rock
Most jewelry dosn''t really need checking unless you think there is a serious problem which is rare.

Cleaning can be done at home. There are some cleaning aids out there that are safe, effective and easy to use.
Here''s a picture of one I found.

si814_pip.jpg

It is a problem when you buy jewelry online, but with the savings you make you can maybe aford the self cleaning aids
emwink.gif

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Don''t feel bad about not having bought anything from your local store--you just haven''t YET. If they''re nice to you and they have pretty things for affordable prices, I bet you will someday. Cleaning your ring for you is good for their business--it gets you in the door to see all the pretty things they have.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
style="WIDTH: 109.15%; HEIGHT: 452px">Date: 11/10/2005 2:06:31 PM
Author: JohnMcM
Most jewelry dosn''t really need checking unless you think there is a serious problem which is rare.

Cleaning can be done at home. There are some cleaning aids out there that are safe, effective and easy to use.
Here''s a picture of one I found.

si814_pip.jpg

It is a problem when you
emwink.gif
buy jewelry online, but with the savings you make you can maybe aford the self cleaning aids
I have to say I disagree with jewelry not needing to be checked very often. Personally, I think once every 6 months is a very good idea to catch any problems before they become lost diamonds.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree jazmine. One should have their rings checked every 6 months. To not do so would be foolish IMHO. I know I get mine checked and it gives me peace of mind. The last thing I want is to loose a stone because of loose prongs etc... That happened to my SIL, and she was sick about it.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
had an interesting conversation with a sales staff person at Gleim Jewelers, a rather upscale store in Palo Alto and Los Altos. he thought the b&m business was going to be killed by online venders as they couldn''t compete price-wise. he had a guy with a computer come in and pull up a bluenile diamond and ask him if he could match the price....he said no, that was his wholesale and go buy it at bluenile. which the guy did.....but then he tells me that the same guy came back in and bought a $2k mounting for said diamond! i pointed out to him that the guy must have appreciated his honesty and came back for the setting and that i would also guess that when this guy is in the market for something else, he''ll be back. gave him some food for thought......

i also think the custom made market isn''t going to go away and will remain with b&m''s.

peace, movie zombie

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/10/2005 2:06:31 PM
Author: JohnMcM

I disagree with this too. Especially with all the pave and delicate settings that are now popular. Unfortunately, once you think there is a serious problem it could be too late, like after you lose the center stone
23.gif
and could have been prevented in a quick trip to have the prongs checked. After spending the kind of money we do on our rings, why not take them in for checkups??

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
I agree. I think all jewelry that''s worn on a regular basis should be checked routinely. I think every six months is reasonable -- maybe more for a really intricate pave piece.

hhv

Rough_Rock
Thanks for everyone''s suggestion. I will try Quest. Although, I still feel a little bad because I don''t know if I will ever buy anything from a B&M. I got my engagement ring from Blue Nile, my eternity band from Signed Pieces and now I am thinking of getting stud earrings from Whiteflash. So many internet vendors...so little time.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t feel badly taking my stuff into the local jeweler to have it cleaned, prongs checked, prongs tightened..they even resized my rings all at no charge to me. I may buy from them someday , they sell Eightstars, but I have also referred business there because they are so nice to me even though I have not purchased anything from them, so they are worthwhile for visits by anyone local in my book.

johnmcm

Rough_Rock
emotion-20.gif
Most "well made" jewelry! In my humble experience
emotion-5.gif

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I have to say I disagree with jewelry not needing to be checked very often. Personally, I think once every 6 months is a very good idea to catch any problems before they become lost diamonds.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I totally agree with periodic checkups (every 4-6 months). One would be amazed at how many new diamond engagement rings already have fibers from sweaters and other clothing caught under a prong. I see this on a regular basis. A fine jewelry store will be happy to check your prongs and clean your ring at the same time if you ask nicely.
26.gif

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

jennalyns

Shiny_Rock
I think it should be fine to take your ring into a local jeweler for inspections and cleanings. Yes, you may not have bought the ring from them... but even if you had, what if you move? You will have to find a new jeweler then anyway. My parents have lived in 13 different places since they got engaged 27 years ago (military), and my mom always takes her ring into local jewelers with no problem, they never ask where she got it or anything. I think it should be no problem, and you shouldn''t feel guilty asking them to check it even though you didn''t buy it there.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results