carat
color
clarity

The Appraisal Nightmare - Richard Sherwood Appraisal

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tourmaline appraisal - The timeline

As some of you are aware, I purchased a 2.34ct tourmaline from swala as my 10th anniversary stone.
Being a member of pricescope, I also decided to use Richard Sherwood to do the appraisal. I know that many
have used him in the past and have been extremely satisfied with his work.

April 6, 2011
My first contact with Richard was on April 6, 2011 I had asked him if it were possible for him to do the appraisal, His response was yes, and he told me how much it would cost.

April 9, 2011
I sent the stone to Richard April 9, 2011 Via 3-day Fedex along with a check for the agreed upon price for the appraisal.

I sent an email the day it was sent giving him the fedex waybill information, and asking him to let me know when it was received. He replied he would do that.

April 19, 2011
The stone was not picked up until April 19. I had inquired to him as to how long it would take to do the appraisal but mentioned at the moment no rush.

April 25, 2011

I had inquired about when I would have my stone completed. He told me that there was a job before mine and he would do it after.
Ok I totally understand that and wasn't yet near a deadline. I told him I wasn't near my deadline and thanked him for keeping me in the loop.

May 1,2011
I made another followup inquiry as to when the appraisal would be done.

May 4, 2011
Still no word so I made another inquiry on May 4 as I was unsure if he had gotten my email. On may 4 I was told by email he should be able to get to it that day but he was busy.

Ok I can understand that, so again, I was understanding of his time.

May 16, 2011
Still no appraisal. I inquired about the appraisal and when it would be done. I had made mention of my deadline which was looming and asked if I could get an update.

I received a response back that he had hired additional staff and getting them up to speed. Again, I was understanding and told him that I understand him being busy.

May 31, 2011
I was told by Richard I would be receiving a report for the stone and that it would be sent out fedex so I could meet my deadline.

June 3, 2011.
I received an email from Richard with a provisional Report. I was told that an official report would be scanned and sent to me via email, and a hard copy sent via mail.

June 4, 2011
The stone I did recieve, the report I did not. I sent him an email thanking him for the time he took to look at my stone, and that I would look forward to seeing the reports.

June 21, 2011
As of today I have yet to receive a scanned copy of the report or a hard copy of the report, though I have inquired about it.

I have send various emails asking about the report, I have today as a last resort called and left a message asking to be called back.

Nothing.

I know that Richard is highly regarded here, and I do feel that he's competent, HOWEVER, This is absolutely not a way to treat a customer. I can't get insurance on my stone, and without that insurance,the vendor that is to do my ring will not touch this stone!

I've already paid a CAD fee and have worked out my design. My stone is sitting at the vendors, to which at this point, I'm being bumped to the end of the line.

But yet, nothing can be done because I don't have the official appraisal.

In my last email today I told him that I'm at wits end, that I'm going to now have to pay for yet another appraisal just to get the stone. My vendor has to now bump me because they have other customers who have their things in order and put me at the end of the line because without the insurance, they're not willing to touch the stone. I don't blame them for that and I'm not mad at them at all.

However, I'm pretty darn pissed about the fact that even as understanding and reasonable as I've been, someone who's supposed to be a top knotch appraiser totally dropped the ball. That timeline above is something that should have never happened.

So word of warning. BE SURE that whomever you get your appraisal through, that they don't dick you around like this. I'm very disappointed and what should have been a great experience has been tainted. I wanted to have this ring by my anniversary because of its significance, and how we picked things out together as a couple.

But that may not happen and at the moment, I'm utterly disgusted by this whole thing.

Because of this experience I wouldn't and couldn't recommend Richard Sherwood as an appraiser. I certainly won't be using him again.

-A

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: The Appraisal Nightmare

Arcadian,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am so very sorry for what a nightmare this turned out to be. :((

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you TL

I didn't want to write this. I'm so upset that I'm crying and every time I think about this it makes me even more upset. After I was told by my vendor that I was going to be bumped after waiting for so long to have this done, I'm livid, sad, disappointed. All kinds of things.

I can't even contemplate ever treating a customer like this. I don't require hand holding but seriously this timeline is crazy. And still, no official report to give my insurance company.

I feel like the stone has some bad juju now and have to rethink what the hell I'm going to do.

-A

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Arcadian|1308698906|2951391 said:
Thank you TL

I didn't want to write this. I'm so upset that I'm crying and every time I think about this it makes me even more upset. After I was told by my vendor that I was going to be bumped after waiting for so long to have this done, I'm livid, sad, disappointed. All kinds of things.

I can't even contemplate ever treating a customer like this. I don't require hand holding but seriously this timeline is crazy. And still, no official report to give my insurance company.

I feel like the stone has some bad juju now and have to rethink what the hell I'm going to do.

-A

Oh Arc, I'm so very sorry. I don't think the stone has bad juju, and it will get set eventually (better late than never, right??). In the end, it will be a very beautiful ring, that you will cheerish forever. Don't let this hiccup bug you. It's not the stone's fault, it's Richard's fault for not providing good customer service and letting you down.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
What a shame you had to go through this huge headache, Arcadian. You're thoughtful to let PSers know the problems you've encountered, too. I hate to think of it making you cry!

The stone is just as beautiful as it ever was despite its rather harrowing adventure. Once you have the ring in hand, maybe the thrill will be even better for having been earned with such difficulty. Chin up!

--- Laurie

beach

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds like this has been a frustrating process for you. Did you agree on a turn around time with Richard before you sent in the stone? Maybe Richard should be notified of this thread so he is able to give a response?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beach,

You know that expression 'don't pee on my leg and tell me its raining'. Guess what I feel like about now? Considering that the stone was sent back to me with a provisional, and I was told that a report would be forthcoming via email as well as US mail, it stands to reason that the thing was completed. He shouldn't have sent the stone back if it wasn't done.

And trust me, this isn't all the emails, these are just the highlights. I've got emails where I've inquired and have gotten nothing but dead air back. I don't require hand holding at all, nor am I a difficult customer. But I also shouldn't have been treated so shabbily either.

As I said in the OP, I did let him know when I was reaching the deadline, but I also made sure I had a lot of time to get this done. What I didn't put in the OP is that we had discussed that if he tested and it came back as preliminarily as copper bearing, (which according to him it is non copper bearing), that it would be sent to GIA for a lab report. I had also factored that time in too, which is why I had contacted and sent it so early.

So at that point, having sent me the stone and sending the email to me that the report would be sent to me via email AND via US mail, then again, I should have had something to send to my insurance company by now.

But lets be honest the whole crux of this is that I sent this stone based on the trust and reputation he had garnered here at pricescope and was very severely let down. And its not like he didn't know I'm a member here, in my first email I introduced myself as one with my handle!

Like I said, I know he's very highly regarded here, but still, it makes no sense why I even have to go here with this. If it keeps one person from having the same type of experience I did, then good! Nobody should have to go through this.

If he couldn't do the appraisal, I would have rather he told me when he got busy. I would be a lot less upset and could have found someone else to do it.

Tomorrow I'm going to call my bank to see what I can do about the check which was cashed.

-A

beach

Brilliant_Rock
So you did not give him your deadline at the onset?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
beach|1308702920|2951457 said:
So you did not give him your deadline at the onset?

You didn't read the timeline did you?

I told him when I sent it, that I had plenty of time, which I did. I told him that I wanted it done right, not rushed. And again, do you know of any appraisals that have taken as long as this on a single stone?

Do you even know why I'm pissed right now? I'm mad because after all this, after getting the stone back, I don't have an official report after I was told I would get one.

He knew I needed that to insure the stone as I told him from the onset.

-A

beach

Brilliant_Rock
I just don't understand why you said you had plenty of time when the truth is that you did not. You assumed that he did not have any other customers or projects and assumed that he would meet your covert timeline. Sounds like you then became upset because you realized that your deadline was quickly approaching. Maybe you were not as clear as you could have been at the beginning? I am not saying that Richard handled everything well, all I am saying is look at how you could have handled things differently too. You posted on a public forum so expect different opinions on the thread you posted.

tina sparkle

Shiny_Rock
This is inexcusable. You paid for an appraisal, your check was cashed, and two months later you still do not have the agreed upon appraisal. There's no reason to defend the indefensible, he is wrong, you are right. I hope it get resolved to your satisfaction. So sorry.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
beach|1308703938|2951482 said:
I just don't understand why you said you had plenty of time when the truth is that you did not. You assumed that he did not have any other customers or projects and assumed that he would meet your covert timeline. Sounds like you then became upset because you realized that your deadline was quickly approaching. Maybe you were not as clear as you could have been at the beginning? I am not saying that Richard handled everything well, all I am saying is look at how you could have handled things differently too. You posted on a public forum so expect different opinions on the thread you posted.

Again, you're not getting where and WHY I'm upset. When I was reaching my deadline I did let him know. He assured me he would meet that deadline. There was nothing in his emails that said he couldn't. I would have RATHER he told me he couldn't take my stone and couldn't do the appraisal to be honest! It would have saved me a hell of a lot of heartache!

I'm a contractor, and I'll tell you something about what I do for a living. If I can't take a customers work, I don't take it. If I'm swamped I don't do more than I can chew. If I'm going to be late, I let them know. I keep them in the loop.

If you depend on people to make money and you have an agreement with said person the very LEAST you can do is to keep them in the loop if they make an inquiry.

The stone was sent in April, I got the stone back in June Ok fine. I got the stone to the vendor, but after all of that THE STONE WHICH I SENT AND WAS TOLD I WOULD GET A REPORT ON ONCE IT WAS COMPLETED DOES NOT HAVE AN OFFICIAL REPORT !!!! THIS IS WHAT I'M PISSED AT

Why send me the stone back, tell me via email its complete, tell me the report is complete, tell me that I would get the report via email and US postal mail, but not freaking send it knowing I need it to insure the damn stone? And he knows I needed it for that because I TOLD him that.

Again, read the timeline!

I didn't ask him to give me the damn moon and stars, just a report that he said was completed.

I have asked him to please send me an email of the report since I've received the stone on June 4 and at that time, have gotten NOTHING but dead air. Not a peep, not a coming soon. Nothing.

Do you NOW get it? Yes I got the stone back, but he dropped the ball and didn't send the report, which if done, should have also been sent with the stone.

Personally I think you're trying to make me even more upset about this. Do me a favor, stay the hell out of my thread because I'm already upset enough.

As a consumer, I'm relaying a pretty damn nasty experience, one of which I hope NO ONE has to go through.

IF the stone was done, then its nothing to send me that report. Richard isn't dumb, he knows its needed for insurance purposes. All I'm asking for at this point is the damn report, which if its done, just freaking send it.

-A

beach

Brilliant_Rock
FYI, from my experience, Richard usually sends the stone back first and then spends some time to complete the report. But I am sure you already knew that... Should speak with him before posting something like this on the forum. Your may not have the full picture.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
The whole thing is pretty outrageous IMO. How long does it take to do an appraisal, an hour maybe. especially when you do this every day so you are likely to have a template or two in you computer for it already. If I were sending a stone for appraisal I would expect at the very outside it would be complete within the month. I say very outside allowing time for multiple disasters like vacation time and home destroyed by a tornado. Your only fault is having been so polite to have given him too much time. Arc, I am sorry you've been put through all this.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I emailed Richard in case he'd like to respond.

beach

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you Kenny. I was going to as well.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
beach|1308705354|2951517 said:
FYI, from my experience, Richard usually sends the stone back first and then spends some time to complete the report. But I am sure you already knew that... Should speak with him before posting something like this on the forum. Your may not have the full picture.

Beach, first off, I TRIED speaking to him for DAYS now. WTF was I supposed to do next? Catch a plane down there and hunt him down?

And when did I get a response? Tonight. I've been sending emails and have had to call, which is a very last resort. I've been ASKING whats been up, whats been going on since the stone arrived. All he had to do was tell me WHEN I should expect the report. At the VERY LEAST, I expected an email back. So back the hell off of me because the reality is that it shouldn't have taken this to get a response.

An explanation.....not a good one, but an explanation
Tuesday, June 21, 2011 8:04 PM
"Richard Sherwood" <[email protected]>
To:
[email protected]
Hi XXXXX. I feel I owe you an explanation. and an apology.

In January of this year, I started buying and selling again after being an independent appraiser for eleven years. Before that I was a buyer and seller for twenty years.

I really didn't have any idea what shape things were going to take, and knew that no matter what I could still make a living appraising. I figured any sales I made would be "extra".

Well things took shape rapidly, until my days became filled with buying and selling. I'd try to get the appraising done during the day, but was constantly interrupted with customers. It's hard to complain about it, because all the "interruptions" were profitable. But, I fell way behind on my appraisal work. The only time I had available to do them was in the evenings and weekends. It became routine for me to work seven days a week until midnight or later trying to get caught up. Two to four in the morning was not unheard of.

Still I am far behind. I have work in my safe that I haven't been able to get to for months. I've stopped taking in any appraisal work until I get this caught up, and am not sure if I will continue appraising afterwards. I enjoy it, but I'd like to have my life back, and I'm making far more money buying and selling. In the past six months I've made twice as much as I made the entire year last year appraising.

So that's my explanation, my dilemna. I'm sorry you got caught in the middle of it. And to make matters worse, I've spent the last two hours looking for my notes on your appraisal, and have yet to find them under the mountain of papers piled up on the table behind my desk.

I'm going to give it a break now and try again tomorrow. If I don't find it, I will send you a refund. You have my utmost apologies. I am so sorry. Please forgive me.

Like I told him, I would have MUCH preferred he told me he couldn't take my stone and TOLD me so because I could have found someone else to do the work.

-A

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just because someone has a stellar experience with Richard DOES NOT mean that everyone will.

This goes for every vendor.

Beach, Arcadian asked you to step out because you obviously cannot remain objective. Richard is perfectly capable of responding himself.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Richard Sherwood|1308707837|2951582 said:
Arcadian is completely correct, and has every right to be furious with me.

My apologies, Arcadian.

Kudos for taking responsibility and your candor, but, uhm . . . what gives?
Were you ill? on vacation? experiencing some difficult personal situation?
Is this your status quo or do you usually do better or intend to in the future?

One one hand this is none of my business, but on the other hand you are in business and in the future I have do decide whether to consider using your services myself or refer friends to you.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Holy cow, this must be beyond frustrating for you. *hugs* But don't worry! One bad vendor does not attach bad juju to a stone.

K9

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, kudos to Richard for owning up to this issue and issuing an apology.

HOWEVER - I can say that it's highly disappointing that it requires a post on PS to motivate action. Unacceptable that it should take that much effort to get a vendor's response when it would have taken 5 minutes to reply to a PAYING customer.

Arcadian - I'd be requesting a full refund regardless of whether the notes are found. You've lost 2.5 months on this and you now need to pay to get your stone back from the vendor so that you can have it re-appraised.

Not to mention that you've been bumped!

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi A,
Im so sorry to here of this horrible ordeal you've experienced. I understand your frustration, irritation, anger, and disappointment. I would probably just as steamed. Im certainly glad you have your beautiful gem back (was on PS looking for your initial post of gem in March 2011 :naughty: ) because in my opinion (not that it matters) it is certainly a :love: Beautiful :love: Blue Green!!!!!

I say "Hip Hip Hooray" for the apology from Richard :appl:

Because much of your time has been in vain waiting for what you paid for...the email response you posted from him does say he will give you a full refund! I'd say "yes" to Full Refund! Before you know it, you will be gazing at your Gorgeous gem, in its Gorgeous setting, on those Beautiful hands of yours Smiling...Right! ;-)

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Tourmaline is supposed, by those who believe such things, to absorb and neutralize negativity, so perhaps there is no cause to think the stone now imbued with bad juju, rather it is just doing its job. Thanks Richard for responding and so directly. The explanation in the email to Arcadian says it all. We may not like it but at least he didnt try to weasel out of it or create grey areas.

Arc, I am hopeful that you will have the appraisal shortly and that the finished ring will give you all the pleasure and meaning that you deserve. It will become a wonderful heirloom despite this bump.

beach

Brilliant_Rock
FrekeChild|1308707140|2951565 said:
Just because someone has a stellar experience with Richard DOES NOT mean that everyone will.

Beach, Arcadian asked you to step out because you obviously cannot remain objective. Richard is perfectly capable of responding himself.
Freke the same can then be said regarding you and Arcadian... She can take care of her self and she doe not need you to defend her. :cheeky: Wow...

If you post on a public forum you need to be open to ALL responses. So many on pricescope engage in group think and simply agree with each other 99% of the time and avoid telling people what they truly think. The cliques in the forum don't help either... This is sad and keeps the forum from growing and diversifying. I gave my opinion and I am allowed to do so. I am happy Richard responded to you.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Everyone is entitled to their opinon, even when they are wrong. It is hoped that people will employ good judgement when voicing their opinions. Most opinions dont require sharing. Ask yourself, will my opinion help the situation at hand? Will it inadvertently deflect attention and perhaps hostility to me? If you still must chime in try to put your opinion if a form that does not seem to attack or put someone on the defensive. Consumer advocate forums should be constructive and supportive.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Arcadian, how frustrating! I'm sorry to hear about this. But please don't give up on the stone because of it! I'm sure it's beautiful (as just about everything from Swala tends to be), and when this is all over, I hope you can wear it with positive thoughts.

Richard, thank you for stepping up and offering a candid apology minus excuses.

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
I don't remember Arcadian asking for anyone's opinion, she was venting and giving us PSers a valuable heads up.
Am I correct that after you sent the stone it sat in the FedEx office for the better part of a week before he even picked it up? (I bet the check was already cashed.)
Wow, just......wow. and sorry.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
beach|1308709382|2951612 said:

Freke the same can then be said regarding you and Arcadian... She can take care of her self and she doe not need you to defend her. :cheeky: Wow...

If you post on a public forum you need to be open to ALL responses. So many on pricescope engage in group think and simply agree with each other 99% of the time and avoid telling people what they truly think. The cliques in the forum don't help either... This is sad and keeps the forum from growing and diversifying. I gave my opinion and I am allowed to do so. I am happy Richard responded to you.

@beach, Excuse you but this is a CONSUMER forum. That means good or bad, consumers should in fact pipe up when a process is good or bad with a vendor.

**edited by moderator. please control your word choices on the forum. we do not condone these type of comments**

---------------------------------

@ Richard, Thank you for coming forward and for your apology. As I said in the email back to you, the stone itself has a profound significance to both myself and my husband.

The stone (for those who are NOT aware) is more than just about 10 years of wedded bliss. Its about the fact that my husband and I nearly lost each other. in 2003 I had a recurrence of colon cancer. In 2006 he had a heart attack with 100% blockage on the right side of his heart. Each year together for us is a blessing because its something we almost didn't have.

Its more of the meaning behind it than the actual stone, but the fact that my husband picked out that stone means the world to me. Making sure that the ring was done by our anniversary was something both of us really looked forward to as we also will be recommitting ourselves to each other that day.

@Everyone else, Thank you for your constructive comments and kind words. At the moment, I'll just wait and see what comes forth. At that time, I will decide what to do next.

-A

beach

Brilliant_Rock
Arcadian|1308711799|2951659 said:
beach|1308709382|2951612 said:

@beach, Excuse you but this is a CONSUMER forum. That means good or bad, consumers should in fact pipe up when a process is good or bad with a vendor.

**edited by moderator. please control your word choices on the forum. we do not condone these type of comments**

@ Richard, Thank you for coming forward and for your apology. As I said in the email back to you, the stone itself has a profound significance to both myself and my husband.

The stone (for those who are NOT aware) is more than just about 10 years of wedded bliss. Its about the fact that my husband and I nearly lost each other. in 2003 I had a recurrence of colon cancer. In 2006 he had a heart attack with 100% blockage on the right side of his heart. Each year together for us is a blessing because its something we almost didn't have.

Its more of the meaning behind it than the actual stone, but the fact that my husband picked out that stone means the world to me. Making sure that the ring was done by our anniversary was something both of us really looked forward to as we also will be recommitting ourselves to each other that day.

@Everyone else, Thank you for your constructive comments and kind words. At the moment, I'll just wait and see what comes forth. At that time, I will decide what to do next.

-A

:shock: Speechless... I hope you have a better day tomorrow.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results