Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

The Alistair Kelsey collection

Acinom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
May 15, 2013
Messages
9,835
That's great! I am looking forward to see how this unfolds. And sooo curious to learn about the bits and the pieces you have in mind. Do indeed keep us posted.
 

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 28, 2009
Messages
3,448
Acinom I don't know what to do with the larger stone anymore, I am leaning more towards a ring again. If I get AK to work on a pair of earrings for me I might as well send all the stones to him. Do you have any suggestion?
 

Acinom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
May 15, 2013
Messages
9,835
Lovinggems|1453376514|3979007 said:
Acinom I don't know what to do with the larger stone anymore, I am leaning more towards a ring again. If I get AK to work on a pair of earrings for me I might as well send all the stones to him. Do you have any suggestion?
I would ask Alistair to suggest a design for your beautiful stone, based on elements of his ring designs you really like. I think the topaz would look great in the Solace design or in the Floret head with a shank designed for your stone.
 

lovedogs

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 31, 2014
Messages
9,525
IT'S HERE!!!! Hooray! Picture overload time :) Excuse the cell phone quality pics. Overall I am extremely impressed with the quality of work, details, and overall solid feel of the ring. I also love how bright the white gold is (I've never had 9 ct gold, but my first impression is that it seems more of a bright white vs. 14k. Or maybe I just need to clean my 14k rings more) :)

EDIT: no matter how many times I resize, some of my photos turn out enormous. Apologies but for some reason those just won't get any smaller :wall:


20160121_181349.jpg 20160121_181335.jpg 20160121_181117.jpg 20160121_181103.jpg 20160121_181055.jpg 20160121_181052.jpg
20160121_175905.jpg 20160121_175650.jpg 20160121_175959.jpg 20160121_175857.jpg
20160121_175622.jpg 20160121_175624.jpg 20160121_180821.jpg
 

arabella

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Aug 13, 2015
Messages
222
Oh my goodness lovedogs! I am in love with your ring! I am so impressed with Alistair Kelsey's designs and yours is no exception. I like the 9kt gold choice -- I didn't even know it was a possibility! Beautiful! [emoji7]
 

lovedogs

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 31, 2014
Messages
9,525
arabella|1453429634|3979459 said:
Oh my goodness lovedogs! I am in love with your ring! I am so impressed with Alistair Kelsey's designs and yours is no exception. I like the 9kt gold choice -- I didn't even know it was a possibility! Beautiful! [emoji7]
Thank you arabella! I didn't know it was a choice either until Alistair mentioned it. I asked him about 10k gold in order to keep the setting within my budget (since most of his settings are 18k). He explained that in AUS they typically use either 18k or 9k (I guess 14k and 10k are far less common), so that was news to me! I am in love with it, and definitely plan to send him more of my stones to set! :naughty:
 

Acinom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
May 15, 2013
Messages
9,835
Yay, so glad your ring has already arrived. The ring looks stunning on your finger lovedogs :love: Beautiful fluid lines and open profile.

Thank you for posting your pics so we can admire your ring from every angle.
Which stones are you considering to be set by Alistair as well? One of your blue-greens? So curious to see what you decide.

I honestly love this ring and have posted it in the 'covet most' thread on PS.
 

lovedogs

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 31, 2014
Messages
9,525
Acinom|1453437646|3979537 said:
Yay, so glad your ring has already arrived. The ring looks stunning on your finger lovedogs :love: Beautiful fluid lines and open profile.

Thank you for posting your pics so we can admire your ring from every angle.
Which stones are you considering to be set by Alistair as well? One of your blue-greens? So curious to see what you decide.

I honestly love this ring and have posted it in the 'covet most' thread on PS.
haha Acinom you know me too well :lol: I am thinking about having him set my square cut blue/green tourmaline, but definitely need time time to save a bit for the setting and to make sure I'm 100% of what I want. I've been "saving" that stone for a special setting since I don't want to move too quickly and end up with something I don't love. But I've also thought of having DK set in a simple halo, so I'm still torn on exactly what to do. But I'm excited to have time to think it through while I enjoy Alistair's lovely work on my hand. He's so easy to work with and kind as well--I hope more PSers use him so I can drool over more of his work :)

PS I'm extremely flattered that you thought of this ring for the "covet most" thread. I love your taste in jewelry so it's a big compliment coming from from you!
 

Acinom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
May 15, 2013
Messages
9,835
Do you have any outdoor pics of your ring?
Has the setting been rhodinated by the way?

Are you referring to your Jason Brim cushion? Looking forward to see what you will do with it. It makes sense to take your time to think about it carefully. AK also makes delicate pave rings. I do not know his pricing for these though.

_1596.jpeg
 

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Sep 23, 2011
Messages
3,021
Lovedogs that ring is very cool! I love the graceful lines, it's very modern & clean looking. Great presence on your hand! :appl:
 

lovedogs

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 31, 2014
Messages
9,525
Acinom|1453535406|3980130 said:
Do you have any outdoor pics of your ring?
Has the setting been rhodinated by the way?

Are you referring to your Jason Brim cushion? Looking forward to see what you will do with it. It makes sense to take your time to think about it carefully. AK also makes delicate pave rings. I do not know his pricing for these though.
Yup, that's exactly the one I'm referring to :) Sadly I don't have any outdoor pics--its snowing tons here on the East Coast (of the US), so I'm avoiding going outside today :D But I'll take some pics outside asap. I've seen some of AK's pave, but would definitely have to save more. In terms of the rhodium that's a great question, and one I asked Alistair about since the ring looked SO white (not that I was upset at all, just surprised). I already knew about how white gold is rhodium plated, but didnt know about "electro" plating. 't gave a really interesting answer, so rather than paraphrase I'll just paste his response to me:

AK's response to my question about why the 9 ct looked whiter to me than my normal 14 k rings.
The 9ct white gold was electro plated after the polish with rhodium, which makes it so white. Rhodium is in the platinum family and most white gold pieces are plated, even 18ct. The plating will wear over time and the 9ct will show, although it isn’t too fair off and can be reapplied by most reputable jewellers. The 18ct is actually a darker grey as there is more gold (yellow colour) that needs to be diluted to make it white. This makes 9ct white gold a great alternative to 18ct and as you can see, still produces a beautiful finish.
 

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
May 19, 2014
Messages
1,303
Lovedogs, your new ring is beautiful. This designer 'gets' fluidity! I love the presence without feeling bulky- how beautiful! Great gem, as well. Congratulations!
 

Acinom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
May 15, 2013
Messages
9,835
Thank you for sharing the insights on the elektro plating. Very interesting. The 9 kt looks really good. I might consider it as well.
My rings are now in Europe at customs. Hopefully I will be able to pick them up this week.
 

arabella

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Aug 13, 2015
Messages
222
Thank you for sharing more info about the 9k gold lovedogs. It sounds like a great alternative and one I wouldn't have considered but definitely will now
 

lovedogs

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 31, 2014
Messages
9,525
Acinom|1453749317|3981281 said:
Thank you for sharing the insights on the elektro plating. Very interesting. The 9 kt looks really good. I might consider it as well.
My rings are now in Europe at customs. Hopefully I will be able to pick them up this week.
Hooray! I am excited for you (and for us, of course, who get to admire your pics) :appl:
 

Acinom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
May 15, 2013
Messages
9,835
lovedogs: my rings have been released by customs now and will hopefully be delivered at my jeweller in Antwerp by the beginning of the coming week.

Lovinggems and Sparkliesluver: have you discussed designs with Alistair?
 

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 28, 2009
Messages
3,448
Acinom|1454144389|3984027 said:
lovedogs: my rings have been released by customs now and will hopefully be delivered at my jeweller in Antwerp by the beginning of the coming week.

Lovinggems and Sparkliesluver: have you discussed designs with Alistair?
Acinom not yet, I am waiting for my non pierced huggies first. I am looking forward your photos though. :appl:
 

lovedogs

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 31, 2014
Messages
9,525
Just commented in SMTB too, but they are both wonderful masterpieces!! So thrilled for you! :love: :appl:
 

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 28, 2009
Messages
3,448
They're so elegant and fluid, I think you'll need another group photo session soon. :bigsmile:
 

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
May 19, 2014
Messages
1,303
They do not disappoint- beautiful!- they look even more fluid in the real life pictures! Congrats, I'm looking forward to more pics.
 

Acinom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
May 15, 2013
Messages
9,835
Thank you for your kind words lovedogs, Lovinggems, lilmosun and apacherose :wavey:
It has been such a great experience to work with such a talented designer. I am thrilled with the outcome.

_1824.jpeg

_1826.jpeg
 

Acinom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
May 15, 2013
Messages
9,835
Discussed a design for the purple garnet with Alistair Kelsey. I will have it set in a simple but sophisticated solitaire design in 18 kt white gold.

The ring will be partly matted/brushed and partly polished

_2031.jpeg

_2032.jpeg
 

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 28, 2009
Messages
3,448
It's a beautiful drawing, simple but elegant, I think it'll complement your garnet really well.
Acinom I got side tracked with another dainty ring, will need to pace myself this year, so won't be setting my topaz suite till later. :oops:
 

picante27

Shiny_Rock
Joined
May 28, 2015
Messages
288
I think your garnet will look gorgeous in that solitaire setting, Acinom! The 18k white gold will look great with the vibrant purple/magenta of your stone :love:
 

Acinom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
May 15, 2013
Messages
9,835
Lovinggems|1455708461|3991999 said:
It's a beautiful drawing, simple but elegant, I think it'll complement your garnet really well.
Acinom I got side tracked with another dainty ring, will need to pace myself this year, so won't be setting my topaz suite till later. :oops:
Thank you Lovinggems! :wavey:
Isn't it nice to get sidetracked every once in a while :lol: I am so curious to learn more about your dainty project!
 

Acinom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
May 15, 2013
Messages
9,835
picante27|1455716520|3992020 said:
I think your garnet will look gorgeous in that solitaire setting, Acinom! The 18k white gold will look great with the vibrant purple/magenta of your stone :love:
Thanks for chiming in picante!! I envisioned warm gold for this project but I happily went with Alistair's advice to choose white gold because of the particular purple of the stone.
 

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Sep 28, 2013
Messages
2,610
Acinom, compared to other vendors used frequently by PSer, how does Alastair's pricing compare? Eg. Is his pricing similar to David Klass?
 

Acinom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
May 15, 2013
Messages
9,835
mochiko42 said:
Acinom, compared to other vendors used frequently by PSer, how does Alastair's pricing compare? Eg. Is his pricing similar to David Klass?
Hi Mochiko :wavey:
I would say Alistair's pricing is a tad lower than David's pricing. The dollar is now very strong compared to the euro while the AUS dollar is weaker compared to the euro. The Floret ring is comparable with David's pricing. The Elegance ring is quite a bit lower compared to David's pricing.
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top