shape
carat
color
clarity

Thank You PS/ huge rave for Judith Arnell!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dazzling

Rough_Rock
I just wanted to give a big thank you to all of you who unknowingly helped educate my fiancé and I over the past 6 weeks. Since getting engaged on Oct. 1st, I have been constantly researching diamonds, and this website has been invaluable! I live in Palo Alto, CA, and I relied heavily on advice from other bay area people on where to go browsing. What fun! Special thanks to Mara, who seemed to pop up with great advice on many of the threads that I read. Now this might get lengthy, but I want to share my experience in hopes of helping someone else.

Although we considered doing business online with one of the reputable vendors mentioned on Pricescope, I was a bit too unsure of what I wanted, and I guess I like the more hands on approach. I was leaning towards a classic ideal cut RB in a simple setting, but I was feeling really indecisive. I just wasn’t falling in love with any settings, and we hadn't found the right jeweler with the right prices. A couple of weeks ago, through a contact of my mom’s, we were urged to contact Judith Arnell in Portland Oregon. Because of this recommendation (and the fact that there is no sales tax in Oregon), we decided to investigate to see if Judith might be someone we could trust to guide us. We are so glad we did!

After speaking with Judith on the phone and checking out her website (www.juditharnelljewelers.com), we felt it was worth a trip to Portland to see her collection. She said she had options for all budgets, from the simplest solitaires to some of my favorite high end brands (like Daniel K, Ritani, Lazare, and Royal Asscher). We found a great e-fare to Portland, and off we went! Our flight left at 6:15am
20.gif
and we returned home the same night around 10:30pm! We figured if her prices and service were good (and we were saving tax), that it was definitely worth the price of travel.

Judith warmly welcomed us when we arrived at the store. I have to tell you guys, her collection was AMAZING
30.gif
. I wish the store was here in the bay area so I could just go over there and browse every week! Personally, I am not a big fan of the bulkier styles of rings or rings with towering cathedrals (I call all that extra metal "scaffolding" ) and she really didn’t have anything like that. I loved her focus on very elegant, timeless styles.

We spent about 3 hours there before taking a lunch break (we are not very decisive people!) Judith was so patient- her service was excellent. She gave us just the right amount of advice... she got an idea of my taste, and just let me try on everything. I mean EVERYTHING! I was like a kid in a candy store, and she kept the candy coming. She even gave me a gorgeous $100,000 ring to try on just for fun! We also picked out my fiance's wedding band.

Judith would steer us away from certain designer settings if she had something comparable in quality that was much less expensive. She definitely had well-priced, high quality settings that would work for any budget (I even loved her simple solitaire styles. Very elegant.) She and her staff were great, and they will work within your budget and preferences to get you the most for your money. She encouraged us to go with the best cut, and depending on stone shape, she would guide us as to color/clarity. Her guidance was completely on par with what many of you have recommended, so I was confident we were getting solid advice. She even mentioned that she had that new machine that measures the light performance of stones. Definitely worth the trip… in fact, another couple came in from Northern CA on the same day we did. That says a lot!

Anyway, the final decision... did I stick with a traditional round solitaire? Nope! I ended up going with a Daniel K split crown ring with an asscher center stone. (for pics, see http://juditharnelljewelers.com/estate/daniel_k_asscher_cut_diamonds.html ) Judith has the largest selection of Daniel K that I have seen (and best prices), and even my generous fiance felt that it was worth the splurge for this special ring. I just fell in love with the incredible craftsmanship of Daniel K rings- the pictures don’t do them justice. Judith didn't have one that was the exact parameters/price that we wanted, so she hunted one down for us within days of our visit. My ring will be a 1.43 center stone H VS2. (My fiance is very color sensitive, so we decided not to go with I or J). It is being sized now, and I might have it in time for Thanksgiving!

36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

What I learned here on Pricescope made me so much more confident about our choices. Thanks again to all of you for educating me!

1.gif
Debra

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Debra, congratulations!!

The beauty you chose is just breathtaking! Is this the one?

9710danielk.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Debra welcome
35.gif
That is what PS is all about helping folk find their dream diamond and ring! If THAT is the one Kristy posted holy kafoley it''s a BEAUTY!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
Please post pics of the real thing when you get it! Congratulations!

laila

Shiny_Rock
Debra - what a beautiful ring! Thank you so much for sharing your experience! I will have to keep that in mind, as we have relatives who live near Portland. It would be nice to visit her store while we are there. Please post pictures when you get your ring
1.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is one of my favorite Daniel K settings ever and one I''m considering for my own e-ring upgrade. Please post pictures when you get it, we would love to see a hand shot of that gorgeous ring
1.gif

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Congrats!! Please post pics when you get it!!

dazzling

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for reading my long-winded post, and thanks even more for the warm welcome! Yes, that is the ring, and I will definitely post pictures. I can't believe it will be on my finger soon! My fiance is laughing at me for still looking on the diamond forum even though the choice is made. I told him that I think I am officially addicted to diamonds now! (Poor boy!
20.gif
)

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
can''t wait to see your ring dazzling!
30.gif

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
Ooooh, that is my favorite setting EVER!!! Sooo excited for you!!!! Pictures as soon as it comes in, k???
9.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh you lucky lucky girl. I adore that setting, can''t wait for the hand pics!!!
36.gif

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Just a beautiful ring. Thanks for sharing your experience. Please remember that hand pics are NOT optional here at PS.
31.gif

shay

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I am usually a lurker but I just had to post. I absolutely adore your ring and I can''t wait to see your photos of it in person. It is my absolute favourite ring and the one I picked out for myself when the time is right :) I tried it on last year in New York with my boyfriend and we have never seen another ring that captured our hearts like this one.

z11813004.jpg

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
Debra, your ring is going to be gorgeous and I am well and truly impressed with Judith Arnell''s website. A wonderful website to drool over.

Congratulations on your choice, it''s a personal favorite of mine. It''s going to look stunning. Can wait to see hand shots.

dazzling

Rough_Rock
Thank you guys for sharing in my excitement!
36.gif
I had the pic of this ring at the top of my research page of settings. Little did I know it would be even more amazing in person. All of those little diamonds just sparkle so much! Mrssalvo and Charmypoo, maybe we will be ring twins! (or I guess triplets!) When it comes time for you guys, definitely consider calling Judith Arnell for a price quote if you know you want a Daniel Kay ring. Apparently, she has the highest sales of Daniel K, and she has the only "Daniel K boutique" in the world. Anyway, I am still in disbelief that this baby will be mine! My wonderful fiance keeps telling me ,"This is the bonus you get for waiting until your 30's to get married!" I definitely have lots to be thankful for!
2.gif

dazzling

Rough_Rock
I have been trying to figure out how to post the picture... let''s see if this works....

mysparkliebling.jpg

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, it''s just gorgeous!!!
30.gif
36.gif

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH THAT IS EVEN MORE BEAUTIFUL IN PERSON!!!!!!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
As I said earlier, I really do think that is my all time favorite setting! The stock photos don''t do it justice at all b/c it looks soooo elegant and dainty on a finger in a way that you just can''t quite tell when it''s enlarged on its own, but your handshot captures it perfectly! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring leaves me speechless!!!!! If I didn''t already have a round, I''d definitely want an asscher. And your setting is truly amazing. I''m not usually one for super-detailed bling, but yours is an exception! It''s the perfect combination of simplicity AND detail! NICE CHOICE!!!

dazzling

Rough_Rock
Thank you! I am so excited that I got the picture posted... I have been trying on and off for a week! Now that I have it figured out, I will try to post more.
face1.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
dazzling it looks great. Please post more pics and a side view of that baby. also, would you mind starting a new thread over in the SMTR forum? it''s gorgeous and deserves it''s own spotlight
36.gif

widget

Ideal_Rock
My goodness...it''s just beautiful!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
36.gif

Now, please....post about a thousand more pictures!

widget

dazzling

Rough_Rock
KristyDarling, I know what you mean. I was certain I wanted a round stone in a tiffany six prong- a true classic. I wanted a big stone and simple setting... no engraving or bling... all the attention on the center stone. I thought asschers were beautiful, but not for me. But there was something irresistable about this one.... and my wonderful fiance agreed. I just knew it was the one!

Ok, here is another pic. I will try to post more angles tonight or tomorrow.

mysparkliebling2.JPG

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
ooh, yes, start your own thread in SMTR and post LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS more pictures!!!
9.gif

dazzling

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for the compliments. I will happily post in SMTR later tonight. Must go to work now!

Debra

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Your ring is just beautiful. Congratulations and best wishes to you both. Please feel free to post an abundance of pics.
2.gif

shay

squarediamondlove

Shiny_Rock
VERY NICE!!! And what a beautiful setting!
36.gif

Congradulations. All these beautiful asschers are making me want to get one
9.gif

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
beautiful!!! love them asschers!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Leila

Brilliant_Rock
Debra, your ring is stunning! I am seriously thinking my next diamond purchase is going to be an asscher! Well, not if my husband can help it! I guess, in my dreams... Enjoy! It''s so beautiful.
36.gif

cymbrie

Shiny_Rock
Awesome ring looks even more beautiful on your hand than in the previous pix congratulations!

dazzling

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys! Here''s a side shot...

mysparkliebling3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results