shape
carat
color
clarity

Testing of gemstone... info require

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

coolguynamek

Rough_Rock
Hello All,

What all instruments are required to test a gemstone? what can be the actual cost if we want to buy it? from where I can get this?

Plz. let me know......

COOLGUY !!!!
rolleyes.gif

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
A gem microscope (with darkfield lighting), a refractometer, a dichroscope, a spectroscope, a polarimeter - Total ~$4500, and a lot of experience - priceless!

mogok

Shiny_Rock
Well you can avoid buying the microscope to begin if you buy a dark field loupe... It is a great instrument, nearly the only one I use everyday.
And of course: Dichroscope, loupe 10x and color filter to complete your field gemology kit.

Then a polariscope with its conoscope, a refractometer, a spectroscope, an UV box and a gemological microscope (with fiber optics, darkfield, bright field, immersion cell) will complete your station.

This are the instruments I work with.

coolguynamek

Rough_Rock
Thanx for your information....
twirl.gif

yowahking

Shiny_Rock
Identifying the gem is like identifying ingredients in a recipe. Learning the rest is like becoming a chef. There are so many treatments of gems like the new diffusion treatments that 99% of gemologists don't know how to test for. These can turn a $50 sapphire to look like a $1000 sapphire. Just knowing it is sapphire does not help much.
Rather than spend a ton of money on equipment, find an expert and either pay him or learn first then buy the stuff. Most of us bought the toys first and then realized how much we did not know. Everytime I go to Bangkok, I realize how much GIA did not teach me.
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results