shape
carat
color
clarity

Tension set ring help.. im soo lost

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ATM

Rough_Rock
Hello all,
I recently got engaged and my girlfriend would like to get a tension set ring. She is set on it. Anyway we are lower middle class and im having a hard time saving for a ring. She is a beautiful girl and deserves the best so I really want to get her the ring of her dreams. I have a few questions.

1) Does anyone know what Tension Set ring designer Robins Brothers carries?? I was in the store a few months ago looking and was run out when my credit was declined (victim of identity theft, ruined me). Anyway I saw one I really liked but can not remember who makes it.

2) What online company would you buy a tension set ring from? Can you really trust online Jewelers to give you an honest deal?

3) Does the diamond size matter that much to women? She tells me all the time that it does not matter to her but think she is just trying to make me feel better. I would hate to get her something too small and have her friends say something.

4) does anyone have a lead to a local jeweler in the Houston, Tx area? I would like to buy local if I can.

Thank you all for your time
Regards,
ATM

ATM

Rough_Rock
she likes this one..

TR_025.jpg

ATM

Rough_Rock
i really like this one. she works a lot with her hand so she needs something snag free

TR_145.jpg

E B

Ideal_Rock
Hi ATM, and welcome to Pricescope!

What are you looking to spend? We can help you find something beautiful.

ATM

Rough_Rock
great i knew i came to the right place.. as my credit is ruined for at least a few more years i have to pay cash.. i would like something in the $1300.00 to $1500 range. i know its not much.

just a note to everyone, run your credit twice a year. Its no fun when someone steals it.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Sorry to hear you had ID theft issues. I''d encourage you to put off the ring if you need to charge one on a CC.

Sounds like you GF loves you, and I think she''d understand. You don''t really need a ring to be engaged
2.gif

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
Is the budget for just the setting or for the whole ring?

A really good tension setting like one from Gelin Abaci or Kretchmer will go way over budget, and if you do a search, it seems the lower cost settings don't hold the stone as secure.

James Allen has one that looks very similar to the one she likes, but has a small cup to hold the diamond securely.

Edit: Nice one, Shimmer!

E B

Ideal_Rock
If you''re in the Houston area and you want to buy locally, check out Whiteflash. They''re a well-reviewed vendor here at Pricescope.

Unfortunately, a Gelin Abaci setting alone would eat up your entire budget, but you might be able to put a .40-.50 ct round into a titanium tension setting. I''d ask Whiteflash what they''re able to get for you.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/4/2009 3:02:02 PM
Author: EBree
If you''re in the Houston area and you want to buy locally, check out Whiteflash. They''re a well-reviewed vendor here at Pricescope.

Unfortunately, a Gelin Abaci setting alone would eat up your entire budget, but you might be able to put a .40-.50 ct round into a titanium tension setting. I''d ask Whiteflash what they''re able to get for you.
Ditto

E B

Ideal_Rock
Here's a budget-friendly tension setting very similar to the one your girlfriend likes! The listing says it's for a 1-2 carat stone, but they may be able to modify it for you.

Lily by Whiteflash

ETA: shimmer beat me to it! Great find!
2.gif

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Tension set rings are actually my favorite setting so when I was looking, I delved deep into learning about them

First, I''d stick to designers that specialize in this type of setting. Niessing, Steven Kretchmer, Bunz and Gelin Abachi all come to mind. I would not just allow any jeweler to set it because there''s a good chance you''ll lose the stone.

Tension set rings are not cheap. They cost more than the usual tiffany style solitare. The good thing is, they usually look better with smaller stones so if you''re budgeting, that might work in your favor.

While I love Whiteflah, i would not trust them to make this type of ring. You really need to stick with companies who specialize in it.

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock

ATM

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for such good feed back.. she has tiny hands so im thinking a .50 ct will look huge.

the one Robins Brothers had was like a .45 ct and it was 1400 out the door price in a tension setting. i wish i knew who they carried. i don''t think i could walk back in the store.
7.gif

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This tension set from excel is $350 for the setting. They carry ideal cut stones too.

ATM

Rough_Rock
so a nice .50 ct diamond should cost me around $750 - $800. I would like to get a titanium ring if i could as shes not really a gold person and my wedding band is already picked out( by me) and is also titanium.
26.gif

this is a long learning curve it seems. looks like i need to start reading.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love titanium! A tension setting in titanium is much easier to find!

Titanium Era

ATM

Rough_Rock
Addy, that is a nice site. Titanium to me just seems right. have you ordered from that site before? what if i order a .47 and they send me a .45 would i even be able to tell ??

thanks again

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
It might just be me and my husband, but he has a titanium band, and I have a titanium "junk" band for when I'm at work or swimming, and within the first 24 hours our bands were both extremely scratched. Maybe it just depends on the finish, but I don't see nearly as much damage on my real ring, which is white gold, although I understand that for a tension setting, you'd want something stronger, possibly platinum? Just my personal experience.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Listen. I don''t know what you mean when you say "run out of the store", but everyone (or everyone I know)has had a card declined at least once in their life. It''s nothing to be ashamed about. Robbin''s Brothers is a large chain, and I''m sure they don''t know you as "that guy who had his card declined". Would you consider calling them and describing the setting to you over the phone? Say you''re from out of state and you saw it while visiting. You want to have a local RB store order it for you (look up a location in another state). They might be willing to give you more information about the ring.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have two rings from titanium era, neither have any stones in them, and I last ordered from them three years ago. If you do go with them, I''d try to send your own diamond. I think TiEra has overpriced diamonds and no information on the cut of the stones.

vslover

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/4/2009 3:00:02 PM
Author: purrfectpear
Sorry to hear you had ID theft issues. I''d encourage you to put off the ring if you need to charge one on a CC.

Sounds like you GF loves you, and I think she''d understand. You don''t really need a ring to be engaged
2.gif

He said in the original post he''d be paying cash??

eternallyhis

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/4/2009 4:56:09 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
Listen. I don''t know what you mean when you say ''run out of the store'', but everyone (or everyone I know)has had a card declined at least once in their life. It''s nothing to be ashamed about. Robbin''s Brothers is a large chain, and I''m sure they don''t know you as ''that guy who had his card declined''. Would you consider calling them and describing the setting to you over the phone? Say you''re from out of state and you saw it while visiting. You want to have a local RB store order it for you (look up a location in another state). They might be willing to give you more information about the ring.
I just called the Houston RB and asked what lines they carry for tension settings. The girl I spoke to, Monica, said they were not major designers and were actually part of the RB line. I would suggest calling a store like Hudson_Hawk said and describe the ring and find out more, don''t be embarrassed! She also recommended going on the website (robbinsbros.com) and look around.
I''m sure youve already done this though! Good luck
2.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
Another option? Boone Titanium has this setting much like the one your girlfriend likes for $795, and they'll set an outside stone. With the remaining budget, you could go to Whiteflash and ask them for the nicest, cleanest (I believe it has to be a certain clarity) diamond to send to Bruce. Smaller diamonds look fabulous (and big!) in tension settings.

Helixx Light

As a PP said, titanium does scratch pretty easily. Some like my husband don't mind it, but make sure you know if your girlfriend's cool with it.

ATM

Rough_Rock
Thank you all again. I have lot of thinking to do . . .

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2009 7:29:45 PM
Author: EBree
Another option? Boone Titanium has this setting much like the one your girlfriend likes for $795, and they''ll set an outside stone. With the remaining budget, you could go to Whiteflash and ask them for the nicest, cleanest (I believe it has to be a certain clarity) diamond to send to Bruce. Smaller diamonds look fabulous (and big!) in tension settings.

Helixx Light

As a PP said, titanium does scratch pretty easily. Some like my husband don''t mind it, but make sure you know if your girlfriend''s cool with it.

That would be what I would do too personally if she doesn''t like the WF tension set ring. Bruce is fabulous to work with.

2Artists

Brilliant_Rock
Is this going to be a standalone ring or will it be worn with a wedding band? That might help you figure out which style tension ring to go with. I think that a well cut diamond will be beautiful and dazzling at any size!
1.gif

Mrs.2Artists

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2009 3:00:02 PM
Author: purrfectpear
Sorry to hear you had ID theft issues. I'd encourage you to put off the ring if you need to charge one on a CC.

Sounds like you GF loves you, and I think she'd understand. You don't really need a ring to be engaged
2.gif

Oh, PP, have you forgotten what it's like to be young and in love and ENGAGED!!
3.gif

ATM, I feel for you, we were in a similar situation (not the identity theft, but the distinct lack of funds)

I would definitely still get her a ring - it makes the engagement 'real' having that finger covered, and the honeymoon that little bit sweeter having a li'l sparkle with your wedding band. ! And yes, size to some extent does matter... but is almost completely disregarded when it comes to finding 'that special one'.
6.gif

Get her the best you can honestly afford, but don't forget, you'll need wedding bands too, to be worn with that e-ring ...

if the e-ring does turn out to be to some extent a compromise (and lets face it, diamonds are expensive little rocks, so it can be a stretch meeting your dreams) I would think that perhaps on 5 / x years anniversary I would consider 'upgrading ' her wedding jewellery to celebrate the deepening of your love affair.

It's what I/we am doing, and I am very happy with the outcome! I didn't 'just' want to get an eternity ring to match in with the original set, I decided it was actually better to start over.

I'll be keeping my original set in its entirety, to be worn when travelling or just whenever.

Some PS vendors (such as Whiteflash and Good Old Gold) do have upgradeable diamonds, whereby you get the full amount of your original diamond cost contributed towards your next diamond, but you do have to give up the original diamond that way, of course!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results