shape
carat
color
clarity

tennis bracelets, are they still popular?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
My hubby is getting me a birthday gift. I really wanted a tennis bracelet in platinum, with nice sized stones but nice for daily wear. I have one that I got when I graduated high school, it is prong set in yellow gold, about 7 carats. I want something sparkly and I do not want something that is not really now, but I also do not want something trendy. I do not want channel set or bezel set stones, and I would only do rounds or maybe cushions. I am not a big fan of princess cuts. I was thinking around 10 carats or so total weight, but I am not sure what settings I like. Maybe a three prong? I have bangles and cuffs, so this seemed liked a nice alternative. Just wanted some feed back, and please feel free to post any photos you have!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Funny you should ask - I have no idea if they are still in style but I tried on a few over the weekend and really liked them! I tried on 2-3 carats so you are looking for something much blingier. I really like the low 4 prong setting that Signed Pieces has. I would want to see all diamonds and minimal metal. If I remember right you have a spectacular diamond necklace - what about a bracelet to sort of coordinate without being a complete matchy matchy set, and that way you could wear them together when you get really dressed up?!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I thought of that, but want to save that gift for my son''s bar mitzvah. I would like something pretty substantial then, that is not matchy but coordinates with my necklace. I have to go on and see that setting. I also want minimal metal, and the largest sparkliest stones I can get, and want something that is well made. I would love an emerald cut line bracelet but for this go round do not think it will happen. However, I am happy to investigate this further.

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t think these would ever go out of style. Classic.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/28/2007 10:27:21 AM
Author: iwannaprettyone
I wouldn''t think these would ever go out of style. Classic.
ditto!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
The line bracelet, today known in general as a tennis bracelet, was popular from the 1920s-1950s and again today since the 1980s.This style is still in great demand and is a classic.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
that is what I thought too.

I am going to look at one today that is in white gold, ten carats, but not sure of the style of the setting. I hope I like it, as this is something I have wanted for a while...

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I was thinking this very thing last night, as I saw in the Dec. InStyle magazine a Memoire rolling bangle, app. 12 carats. I wondered if I would rather thave this, than a tennis bracelet of the same carat weight. Like you Caroline, I do not care for channel set bracelets and would really only consider an square cut emerald (e.g. asscher) or cushion bracelet. I tried on a wonderful 11 carat SCE/asscher bracelet at my jeweller and it was sublime. It would have matched my eternity ring. But then I was cruising GOG''s website and wondered if they had "cushettes" small enough to set into a bracelet. Great alternative......

cheers--Sharon

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just was not sure that asschers would look okay in that size range. I think the one she got in is round, which is fine too, I am happy to go see it. But I would love something a bit different. She also told me to do white gold and not platinum as it would get heavy and really drive up the cost.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
How exciting!!! Have you thought about an art deco diamond braclet?? Tennis braclets are timeless; what a fun birthday gift! I am super duper excited because you and I have birthdays a couple of days apart from each other!!! I am Dec 16th. I will think of you for sure during that time. heheee
9.gif

wen104

Shiny_Rock
Thats funny skippy, I am Dec 16 too! Well since everyone else is getting a really good B-Day present I am sure to get one also. Ow forgot I already got my B-Day and Christmas present. HMMM maybe next year a bracelet. SHhhh I got 2 sapphire and diamond 7 stone rings for each side of my diamond! Yiipy happy B-Day everyone!

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
I think the style is certainly timeless. I love the idea of doing the bracelet in cushions. Wouldn''t that be very different and also very elegant too? I wonder if it would be hard to find such a sizeable one in cushion stones? Any case, I think that would be wonderful!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
How exciting!! I love them done with 3 prongs, and also think one with asschers would be amazing!! Oh can''t wait to see it, will have to do another photo shoot!!!
31.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kaleigh, depends what B gets in. I am looking to get a really nice bracelet/earrings next year for all my occasions, so that I can wear it with my necklace. So I am trying not to be too out there for this gift, but definitely want something I will wear a lot, versus the dressier earrings and bracelet which I won''t. Get that camera ready! I have a few other goodies for the shoot too!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Are tennis bracelets still popular? Well, they would be with me - especially if I was getting it as a gift!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Holly, I so agree!

Well, I went to see it today. White gold, prong setting, 10.77 total carat weight, very high quality stones. I loved it, of course. So now we have to see if hubby gets on board...there was another bracelet I liked a lot, but found it neither daily or ultra dressy wearable. It would be more like for going out to a nice dinner. I actually loved it NEXT to the tennis bracelet, dream on, but it looked great stacked like that. But I think the tennis bracelet is more timeless...and if the other one is there down the line, hey, who knows?

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Diamondfan,

Can''t wait to see pictures of it!!!!!

Linda

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t see how they can''t be popular. I love them!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Linda, let''s see if hubby will do it. It is not inexpensive but mother in law was just here and I suffered a lot so who knows?!
2.gif
11.gif
31.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Diamondfan,

LOL, what did she do now, I hate to ask.
9.gif

Linda

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
She exists. Same old crappola.

No, seriously, I just had her here for a week. I had her on my Spring break, once in June and October for long weekends, 10 days this summer while we were at the beach, a week at Thanksgiving and now I will get her 12-16 to 1-2-08. She is just a total witch and another word that rhymes with that. She is nasty, selfish, petty, sneaky...she was so horrible to be around I have had a headache for a week! So a bauble is in order. Hubby will see that if he wants her to come and I have to be stuck with her while he is off working or have her on all my vacations with my kids, he is going to have to pay the price!!!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good Grief,

Why do you have to put up with her. I am so glad that mine lives back east. Never have to see her, except for weddings. In fact, I''ll have to see her at one next year. ICK. I''ll be prepared for the dirty looks.

Seriously, do you tell her to behave or don''t come back??

Linda

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Geez, she is staying a long time in December.
14.gif

Linda

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have told hubby to. She is getting senile or somewhat demented. She never owns up to her behavior therefore cannot change it, you do not change what you will not admit to doing. She is just simply hideous. (you can see I do not hold back on this!)

Hubby feels bad, he really does not relish time spent with her, but gets to invite her and assuage his guilty feelings. He leaves me to contend with her, and since my kids do not care much for her and she always wants her way, even on a family trip, things get dicey. She is so selfish. I have told her that it is not about HER and if she cannot be flexible on our family vacations, she should stay home. Of course, a free trip to a fancy resort, flying first class, being waited on, on all our money, is not something she will ever pass on. This trip I am hoping she skips because she has been traveling a lot and not adjusting well in terms of unpacking, repacking, going through her mail etc. She is spazzing out. So I hope against hope that she will decide it is too much for her and pass, but I am not sure she will. Hope springs eternal though...

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Boy, she sounds like my mother in law, I am so glad we don''t see her.

Too, bad your hubby lays it on you. I do hope she passes on the trip too. Where are you planning on going?

Seriously, maybe she is getting senile now.

Linda

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just curious, why does your hubby invite her on these vacations when she is just a PITA?

Linda

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
We are going to Turks and Caicos.

She has never been dealing with a full deck in mho, but everyone sees the issues more now. She was driving our spare car while here last week, and went to a mall that is literally maybe a mile from my home, on the main street a block from my house. Just turn right on it and within a mile you are there. SHE COULD NOT FIGURE OUT HOW TO GET HOME. And she has been going there at least once a trip (30 times?) since we moved here ten years ago. To make it worse, she kept stopping people to ask how to get back to my house and according to her sister, who was here too, she would literally forget what they told her within a couple of minutes and have to ask again. YIKES, but hubby seems unconcerned about it.

He invites her because he can ease his guilt that way. He can say he includes her, even though he truly does not want to hang out with her and he can dump her on me. On my bday, I am out for the day! Spa day, all day, and nice dinner without her. She can stay in the resort with the kids and my sitter. The only good thing is I have learned to negotiate a gift for all of my suffering, since I have to have her around sometime, at least I get something for it. But she is, in all honestly, a singularly miserable woman. She is miserable to look at, and to be near. And she has few friends because of her nature, which is sad but not a surprise. I only hope I have learned not ever to be like her when my sons get married. (the other silver lining)

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you think she has the beginning of Alzheimer''s Disease or Dementia? It sure sounds like it. Your hubby better be concerned about it and have her checked out by a doctor. If she is out driving it could get worse.

Linda

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have been saying it for so long. He says she goes to the doctor a lot and has been checked out, and that she is fine mentally. I am no doctor but I have a degree is psychology, and she seems off to me. But no one listens to me!

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Caroline I agree with you this certainly sounds like early stage dementia. Often their basic personalities are exaggerated. For example I recall some men with dementia who became so gentlemanly or flirtatious thus reverting back to their dominant personality of their youth. Or a lady was a bit of a girl in her youth who became all flighty and silly as in young girlish.
You MIL dementia's and it may be multiinfarct not Alzheimer's is probably exaggerating her natural dominant personality which is ATROCIOUS!!! Sorry MO only for what its worth but maybe she needs a through geriatric assessment and she may never ever ever be allowed to travel again
2.gif

PS Very large blingy gift most definitely is the order of the day for the saint you are. Feel free to tell DH that's what we think you are SAINT CAROLINE!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results