shape
carat
color
clarity

Tennis bracelet questions - stacking, carat, quality?

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
I'm thinking of getting a tennis bracelet to mark a big occasion. I don't really wear jewelery, so I probably will very rarely wear it. I've been lukewarm about this for a while and I'm not even sure I really want it, but I am very sentimental and one of my regrets is not getting wedding jewelery aside from rings (I just didn't think about it with all the planning going on). In summary, the motivation to buy this is more sentimental than desire? Here are my questions:

1. Should I get a stand alone tennis bracelet (larger carat) vs. stacking with a yellow gold Cartier Love bracelet (small width, would get smaller carat tennis bracelet to be proportional)? I don't want to have DSS, but I'm also looking for something more understated? I'm leaning towards 6-8ct for standalone vs. 3-6ct for stacking. I think I would enjoy the stacked looked better and maybe wear it more in the short term, but is a larger standalone tennis bracelet more classic and I would wear more long term? I would probably not wear the Love or smaller tennis bracelets by themselves.

2. For the Cartier Love bracelet, I have a preference for the smaller width yellow gold Love bracelet since it has a hinge on one side to make it easier to put on/off for occasional use. It also seems more feminine and understated, compared to the original size. I also considered the cuff, but I think I prefer the smaller width and full bracelet. Will I regret not getting the original size? Should I consider the Love bracelet with diamonds instead of the stacked looked to get both looks in 1 simple, minimalist look?

3. For the tennis bracelet, should I go for ACA, non-ACA mined, or lab? On one hand for sentimental value I was thinking should get the best of the best. But since I don't plan on wearing it often, is it worth the premium? Will I care about the cut difference, as lots of small diamonds tend to sparkle a lot regardless. I will probably stick with F/G to match my ER and because I am color sensitive. Budget is flexible and can accommodate either, no real opportunity cost other than not spending as much.

A part of me thinks it's wasteful to buy any of this since I don't really "want" it that much and won't wear it. (I "wanted" a diamond DBTY necklace almost a year ago, received it as a gift, and I haven't even tried it on!) Another part of me doesn't want to regret not marking milestones (I know this is all psychological). I think from a DH and even my own perspective, it's probably a little "use it or lose it" for these occasions if they come and pass. What do you think I should do?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've learned the hard way that if you arent *sure* about a purchase then you'll likely regret it (if, like me, you end up never wearing it). But you might feel differently and want the sentimental thought behind the bracelet.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Compromise on the tennis bracelet by opting for the best lab/MMD stones?

Can't comment on diamond quality to go for, as each person's needs and wants are different.

I wanted the biggest stones my budget would allow, and opted for H/I colour and SI2/I stones in order to get one with 5cttw bracelet, 7.5in, bezel set in 14K White Gold.

The stones are not PS-quality, however, they are very white and sparkly to my untrained eyes, and I am very happy with my bracelet.

I have had 2 tennis bracelets in the past, purchased from eBay, around 2cttw each, and the stones were so low quality that they looked like frozen spit with my naked eyes. I imported them from US, and managed to sell them as second-hand items at a profit in UK, such as the silly prices for jewellery over here!

DK :))

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, I definitely would not want frozen spit diamonds!! I would say around XXXish at a minimum.

I think only you can decide how much you truly want the bracelet and how much you’ll actually wear it. I understand the urge to buy jewelry to mark a special occasion, but also the desire to not have something languish in your cupboard. I had a whole thread on pieces that are $$$ and don’t get worn much, recently.

My conclusion on that thread was that I’m going to buy a costume version first, and test drive that before I commit. If you’re afraid that the occasion will go by without the money being spent, perhaps put that money in a separate “account” earmarked towards your bling until you find what it is you want to buy.

As for the love bracelet, I wouldn’t get the one with diamonds. It’s just tooo much of a premium imo. The cuff or the thin would both be classic. Perhaps you can get a “medium” size TB (around 6ctw?) to stack, so that it has enough presence to be worn on its own as well.

For cut quality, imo, ACAs in this size are overkill. I feel like certification would also be overkill tbh. I would go with a trustworthy jeweler and have them pick a parcel that is cut well and sparkly. I’m not colour sensitive, so I would happily go to I/J, but you can stick with F/G if you would be more comfortable.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
These are the most likely options (carat TBD) that I am considering:

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I think only you can decide how much you truly want the bracelet and how much you’ll actually wear it. I understand the urge to buy jewelry to mark a special occasion, but also the desire to not have something languish in your cupboard. I had a whole thread on pieces that are $$$ and don’t get worn much, recently.

My conclusion on that thread was that I’m going to buy a costume version first, and test drive that before I commit. If you’re afraid that the occasion will go by without the money being spent, perhaps put that money in a separate “account” earmarked towards your bling until you find what it is you want to buy.

As for the love bracelet, I wouldn’t get the one with diamonds. It’s just tooo much of a premium imo. The cuff or the thin would both be classic. Perhaps you can get a “medium” size TB (around 6ctw?) to stack, so that it has enough presence to be worn on its own as well.

For cut quality, imo, ACAs in this size are overkill. I feel like certification would also be overkill tbh. I would go with a trustworthy jeweler and have them pick a parcel that is cut well and sparkly. I’m not colour sensitive, so I would happily go to I/J, but you can stick with F/G if you would be more comfortable.

+1 Get a good faux tennis bracelet now in approximately the size you want. I have a 4 carat white gold tennis bracelet which I wear all the time-I find tennis bracelets to be comfortable). But I wish I had gone bigger. Instead of upgrading the size, I got a 3 carat yellow gold bracelet to stack. If I had to do it all over again, I would have bought a larger 3 prong carat bracelet from someone like ID Jewelry. I think I will shop there when I want a larger carat bracelet.

edit: the ACA bracelets aren't as expensive as I imagined! I still think I would price out PS quality bracelet at IDJ. You could buy the Cartier bracelet for the difference.

adlgel

Shiny_Rock
Even if you have unlimited funds, I struggle with the idea of spending what is objectively a substantial amount of money on something you aren't even sure you want. You already have what I'm sure is a beautiful DBTY necklace sitting there unworn. Is there nothing else that might help you mark this occasion in a way that you would enjoy more - a trip to somewhere special?

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
The other option is a VCA Frivole necklace. It's beautiful, more unique, but I would probably wear it less than the bracelet(s).

I had a Kate Spade bracelet (similar to Cartier Love) to test out, which I liked but it quickly showed discoloring, so I donated it. I've also had several "statement" costume necklaces similar to the VCA one that I wore when dressing up, but they also discolored, so I donated them and decided not to buy non-fine jewelry moving forward... I should probably test out a faux tennis bracelet...

@adlgel I wish we could go somewhere, but given my health situation, I'm likely stuck isolating for another year or more. But maybe we could plan a big trip for the future.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Even if you have unlimited funds, I struggle with the idea of spending what is objectively a substantial amount of money on something you aren't even sure you want. You already have what I'm sure is a beautiful DBTY necklace sitting there unworn. Is there nothing else that might help you mark this occasion in a way that you would enjoy more - a trip to somewhere special?

I was thinking the exact same thing. If you don't really want the bracelets, why buy them? Isn't there something else you want that you would use more? It doesn't have to be jewelry. Or a trip as suggested above? Something you'd love to add to your home like a special piece of art that you can enjoy looking at? I like the idea of your buying a faux piece and seeing if you will wear it, before you spend your money on something that might sit in a box.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The other option is a VCA Frivole necklace. It's beautiful, more unique, but I would probably wear it less than the bracelet(s).

I had a Kate Spade bracelet (similar to Cartier Love) to test out, which I liked but it quickly showed discoloring, so I donated it. I've also had several "statement" costume necklaces similar to the VCA one that I wore when dressing up, but they also discolored, so I donated them and decided not to buy non-fine jewelry moving forward... I should probably test out a faux tennis bracelet...

@adlgel I wish we could go somewhere, but given my health situation, I'm likely stuck isolating for another year or more. But maybe we could plan a big trip for the future.

I ADORE the frivole!!!! But I would try it on. I had a similar style necklace with a floral design and they kept flipping and it drove me nuts

adlgel

Shiny_Rock
Sorry to hear your health issues are preventing travel for now. But I do absolutely love the whole Frivole line of jewelry - if that makes your heart sing then I say go for it. I have no issues with someone buying a special occasion piece of jewelry that doesn't get worn all the time. But even in that case I feel like you should still REALLY want it.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Is there a piece of jewelry that you think you would wear more often, even if it is more casual or less expensive? For me, having something that I wear more often, that actually becomes part of my daily wear, would hold more meaning than a more expensive/exquisite piece if I didn't wear the grand piece.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
@RunningwithScissors Unfortunately, I don't think there are other pieces I would want or wear more often. I went through a similar dilemma with studs, and I'm soooo glad I went with Lightbox as I haven't worn them either except to try them on. I'm sure the fact I haven't left the house in over a year has contributed to this.

agingsparkle

Shiny_Rock
I sense lockdown fatigue, and I'm so there with you -- immune suppression (transplant drugs, B-cell inhibitors and steroids for a really-just-don't-leave-the-house hat trick) has had me home since Feb 2020. I also have been wearing very little except my medic-alert. But I also know that's not entirely me -- pre-pandemic I enjoyed wearing jewelry, so I assume at some point when (if?) it's safe, I'll start doing it again. I have made a conscious effort at least once a week to put on "outdoor" clothes and at least ring and earrings. And I do feel better those days, if I stop and think about it. We did a big anniversary purchase during lockdown and even if I don't wear it out or all the time (hardly anyone's even seen it, besides SMTB!) I love having marked it. So it's worth considering whether you've always felt this way or whether a significant portion of it is being stuck at home. I don't have a fix for that, but I do understand!!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A part of me thinks it's wasteful to buy any of this since I don't really "want" it that much and won't wear it.

Get a colored-stone line or tennis bracelet -- you can wear it all the time! There is an emerald one on 1st Dibs. Inken at Enhoerning just had a beautiful sapphire one.

I get that you will not wear a diamond tennis bracelet very much but I am having a hard time with the part where you don't seem to really want it.

I think it's fine to own beautiful jewelry that you just take out and admire. It's just like art or a lovely photo in your home. All that 100-year-old perfect-condition stuff that we see all over IG? Obviously hardly worn by previous owners. Then again. maybe they had a pretty heavy rotation and wore something spectacular every day.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Speaking generally, I wouldn't buy anything I did not think I would wear. But like you said, you not wearing your jewelry could be because of the pandemic and being home so much. I do agree with others saying that you may enjoy marking a significant date with a piece of jewelry. Maybe you could try a Cartier piece and see if you would wear it? They have a 30 day return policy. If you buy VCA at Neiman Marcus, you have 30 days to return it as well. I suspect you didn't enjoy the fakies you bought to test because they discolored. Not exactly appealing.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I buy plenty of things I rarely wear... but I always really, really want them, and it makes me happy to own them. If it is going to make you happy, then get the bracelets. But if you are just getting it because you feel like you should, then skip it! I have this problem with designer handbags - I THINK I want one, but then I go and actually look at the one I think I want and I just don't want it all that much. So I get it. Is there something else you might want instead? Could you save the money you would have spent on this anniversary and maybe add to it over several years for other holidays and get something even more fabulous that you DO really want? I totally get wanting to mark an occasion with a physical item but if you don't even really want the item, what's the point?

With that said, I wouldn't do under a 5 cttw tennis bracelet. That's the size where I start thinking they look good as standalones, and I think you could also stack one of any size with a Cartier love. The people I know with them seem to like the skinnier ones better.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
I bought some faux pieces and tried them on. I don't like the way either one looks or feels. Maybe I'm not a bracelet person after all. To the donation pile they go!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I bought some faux pieces and tried them on. I don't like the way either one looks or feels. Maybe I'm not a bracelet person after all. To the donation pile they go!

Well you just saved yourself a few thousand dollars!

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium

good call trying them out first! is there something like a piece of art or something you'd enjoy having but not have to wear that might make a good milestone gift?

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
good call trying them out first! is there something like a piece of art or something you'd enjoy having but not have to wear that might make a good milestone gift?

I'm thinking the VCA Frivole necklace below. I do like the one with multiple flowers more, but don't like it enough to spend $14K.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results