shape
carat
color
clarity

Tell me your 4Cs?

larryjenkins

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I'm curious the type of conversations you have with your friends and strangers about whats on your finger.

Do people ask you specifics of your diamond, whether it's a friend or stranger admiring your stone?

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Just love your ring Never a 3c question. Once someone screamed out how many carats (3.66) but other wusecjustvsdmiration. My friends say nothing

larryjenkins

Rough_Rock
Interesting. I guess I was getting too caught up with my Cs. Guess I can downgrade my specs and go up in carat.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unless the person asking is a fellow jewelry enthusiast or is doing research, I believe that question can be viewed as rude. Kind of like asking someone for their weight or financial standing. So, on PS, with PSers, with other jewelry enthusiasts, or with people doing current research for their own purchasing purposes, I have no problem giving stats. If I'm with a friend and she's asking for no reason, I say "I'm not sure".

Diamonds are tied to finances, so giving away your stats is almost like saying, "I have $X in the bank". It also leaves room for comparisons that people make and those usually aren't well-intended.

--

What Cs were you getting caught up in, and what are you intending on upgrading/downgrading? The general rule of thumb here is that 1) cut is king, so *do not* compromise here, and that 2) the safest color/clarity combo is G/VS2. Don't compromise TOO much just to go bigger, unless you know that's what she wants.

My friends usually ask for carat size and ring size. When they ask about specs I tell them I don't know hahaha I feel like that's very personal, but seriously... I really don't know my specs that well. =D

I had a friend who said my size 5 was big... and her ring size was a 3.5. I smiled and told her how lucky her boyfriend is ... since he won't need to get her such a big diamond. She didn't say much after that... :appl:

larryjenkins

Rough_Rock
I was looking at 1.5 G VS2 ACA. Now I'm thinking of H SI1 eye clean ACA and go up to 1.7.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That seems fine. I don't think there's a huge diff between 2 consecutive color grades.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
no one asks about the stats as, to be honest, no on really cares around these parts.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
No one has ever asked about any of my rings except my 2ct in a halo. Otherwise I just get lots of stares. I actually see their eyes following my hand which is awkard at times.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
No one ever asks! A few close friends have asked about carat, but I have never once been asked about color or clarity.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Almost no one asks but if they do I tell them is an ACA and explain why it's so sparkly!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No one has ever asked me color or clarity. Mainly the people who comment just say it is a beautiful diamond. The only discussion about weight has been with close family like my sisters. But they wouldn't have a clue what color their own diamonds are, so they'd never ask about the color of mine! I think H VS2 would be a good place to land and increase your size a little.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No one even asks for the spec, normally they would ask to see the ring and I would take it off to show them.

The first thing they normally notice is how heavy it is (it's platinum), then they would comment about its size being quite substantial as one does not see many stones over 1ct in normal jewellery stores on the high streets in UK, with most of them being RBs with the odd princesses, and seldom any radiants or ECs!

DK :))

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
madelise|1386646476|3571094 said:
The general rule of thumb here is that 1) cut is king, so *do not* compromise here, and that 2) the safest color/clarity combo is G/VS2. Don't compromise TOO much just to go bigger, unless you know that's what she wants.

I want to say that, though there are these general rules of thumb, not everyone buys into them. Not everyone likes the brightest cut (I don't). Not everyone thinks VS2 is good enough (I don't). Not everyone thinks a diamond has to be G color or better (I don't). All people and preferences are different, and I think that giving specific blanket advice isn't necessarily the best thing you can do for people.

I think someone who wants to purchase a significant diamond should spend time around diamonds and see which qualities they care about, and which they don't.

nicolesy

Rough_Rock
I have often wondered this too! My bf and I have been ring shopping, and have finally decided on a diamond. He is concerned that when I finish school and get into my career, that I will have colleagues questioning me about my 4 C's and he doesn't want my ring to seem insubstantial. I am not going to share my findings here with him until the ring is on my finger, because what he has picked out really is beautiful. I don't want him to think I'm looking for a downgrade.

I did always think that talking diamond specs equated to talking finances though, and could seem rude or tacky.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tourmaline|1386723745|3571629 said:
The general rule of thumb here is that 1) cut is king, so *do not* compromise here, and that 2) the safest color/clarity combo is G/VS2. Don't compromise TOO much just to go bigger, unless you know that's what she wants.

I want to say that, though there are these general rules of thumb, not everyone buys into them. Not everyone likes the brightest cut (I don't). Not everyone thinks VS2 is good enough (I don't). Not everyone thinks a diamond has to be G color or better (I don't). All people and preferences are different, and I think that giving specific blanket advice isn't necessarily the best thing you can do for people.

I think someone who wants to purchase a significant diamond should spend time around diamonds and see which qualities they care about, and which they don't.

That's why it's a general rule of thumb.

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
Aside from "How did he propose?!", no one asked me anything about my ring. I get comments occasionally, the weirdest was that it appeared that I was making my ring obvious. I simply stated that its my hand and I have to put it somewhere. :) Relax and focus on what's important: YOUR RELATIONSHIP and what this ring symbolizes.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
No one has asked me specifics about the 4C's! They only comment about on which is Carat (or perceived size)!!!

My friends and family have only commented that my diamond looks so sparkly or huge....sometimes if I know they are in the market for a diamond, I'd tell them about the importance of cut but no one has asked me about color and clarity.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
No one has asked me specifics about the 4C's! They only comment about on which is Carat (or perceived size)!!!

My friends and family have only commented that my diamond looks so sparkly or huge....sometimes if I know they are in the market for a diamond, I'd tell them about the importance of cut but no one has asked me about color and clarity.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock

Why wouldn't anyone want the sparkliest diamond they could afford. Cut is king oTherwise buy a CZ. There are .25 as well as 5.0 ideal cut stones which showcases the brilliance of a stone . Carat color and clarity are all compromise C s

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
heididdl|1386812710|3572418 said:

Why wouldn't anyone want the sparkliest diamond they could afford. Cut is king oTherwise buy a CZ. There are .25 as well as 5.0 ideal cut stones which showcases the brilliance of a stone . Carat color and clarity are all compromise C s

Then you can call me the compromise queen. :lol: For me they were all important, so I compromised on everything. ;-). And I'm happy with it too.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LLJsmom|1386818325|3572499 said:

Then you can call me the compromise queen. :lol: For me they were all important, so I compromised on everything. ;-). And I'm happy with it too.

Actually, I agree with Tourmaline in a sense that not everyone wants those stats. I mean, I get authentic antiques which are definitely not super-ideals. But yes, like LLJsmom, there's compromise to everything. For what it's worth, here are my ranges of compromise that I personally aim for as 'acceptable', from most important to least important C.

Cut: 7-9 out of 10.
Since fancy cuts don't really have a "cut grading", I guess I'll go with a 1-10 range, with 1 being super shallow weird things or super deep dark things that no one would ever recommend, and 10 being super-ideals/AGS0/highest ratings on all those spectrometer thingermabobs. For me, I'd never buy a super-ideal. I appreciate the science and the art, but I would not pay for the markups or brands for something that I can't really tell too much of a difference of with the blind eye unless there's something immediately next to it to contrast with.

Carat: The bigger the better. I like big.

Color: G to M for an engagement ring, lower for other projects. I wound up with an M, and sometimes I feel like I should have kept it J or higher, though.. but most times, I am happy. I wouldn't go higher than G since I'm not willing to pay for the markup nor can I tell much of a difference between colorless and near colorless unless they were right next to each other to contrast with.

Clarity: anything eye clean. I don't mind if it's I1, as long as the inclusions are eye clean from a 12" distance, and the diamond is structurally safe. No clouds for fear of negative effects on light play. I prefer not to ever go higher than VS2 as I don't see the point in paying for something I can't see... but alas, my e-ring stone is VVS2. I accepted it because it had everything else I wanted. I would have been happier if it was a VS2 or SI1 so the cost would have been more acceptable to me.

So I do somewhat agree with Tourmaline. Everyone has different preferences. That's fine. BUT, the rule of thumb is still going to be G/VS2 or something like that since we don't know what OP's future FI likes, and it's just a safer route to go. OP just needs to find his own acceptable range of preferences that he thinks his future FI will enjoy. If he said he was considering lowering stats on 1.5 G VS2 to a 1.7 that is M I1, I would heavily try to persuade him to not go that route, but the color and clarity combo that he is changing to is very minor.

Anyway.. I disagree heavily that not getting the best cut quality one can afford is equivalent to getting a CZ. If I went for the highest cut quality I could afford, I would have ended up with an 8mm AVR instead of my 10.25mm OEC that makes my heart skip a beat. ;)) If I went with the "highest quality" on all specs, I think I'd just have a 7.5mm. No thanks :sun: I'm too much of a size-hoe.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1386719862|3571578 said:
No one even asks for the spec, normally they would ask to see the ring and I would take it off to show them.

The first thing they normally notice is how heavy it is (it's platinum), then they would comment about its size being quite substantial as one does not see many stones over 1ct in normal jewellery stores on the high streets in UK, with most of them being RBs with the odd princesses, and seldom any radiants or ECs!

This. I am also in the UK (Cheshire - where are you DK?) & large carat weights in jewellers windows ars rare. Mine is only a 1.02 carat but looks significantly bigger due to being a chubby pear cut. It is 7.5mm by 6.5mm. When people have asked to see it, which they have lately due to the re-set, they firstly comment on weight (its 12 grams of platinum) followed by how big it is, followed by how clear & sparkly it is. None of the C's are ever mentioned apart from the odd jewellery savvy girlfriend. If I WAS to be asked however, I don't think I would have a huge problem with sharing the info. I am proud of my ring :love:

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Uh, I disagree. For YOU, cut is more important than clarity. For me, it is not. What we are attracted to is individual. CZ? Uh, I don't understand this at all.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alex T,

I am in Wiltshire.

patricias

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Never. That would be tacky.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DK - I don't think i've ever been to Wiltshire. I was hoping you may have said somewhere we visit often so we could have a blingfest, like near to my in-laws in Somerset or somewhere :)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alex T|1386940226|3573535 said:
DK - I don't think i've ever been to Wiltshire. I was hoping you may have said somewhere we visit often so we could have a blingfest, like near to my in-laws in Somerset or somewhere :)
Wiltshire is only next door to Somerset. :))

OK, Wiltshire is quite a big county, however, I am used to driving long distances. I go to the city of Bath from time to time, and that's in Somerset I believe.

Therefore, if you are heading to Somerset again, perhaps we could have a mini GTG.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tourmaline|1386888440|3573175 said:

Uh, I disagree. For YOU, cut is more important than clarity. For me, it is not. What we are attracted to is individual. CZ? Uh, I don't understand this at all.

I think what heididdl is saying is that to most people, especially those here on PS, desire to have a very sparkly diamond, therefore the general rule is that cut is king. That said, people vary... some love cuts that are really wonky and even those that don't give super excellent light return (rose cuts). I've also noticed new popularity in "natural cut" diamonds, which basically look like a more random cut of cheap glass to me -- but obviously some people love them (like Anna Paquin, for example). :bigsmile:

As for the question of the 4 Cs... most will ask if my diamond is a cushion cut (it's round set in a cushion halo - avatar). I don't mind answering the shape questions, but it's a little awkward when carat weight/size are asked about. I think it's a little rude, unless I know the person is either a diamond enthusiast or because they want to know for future reference for themselves.

I usually just say something like, "...it's just the size I wanted!" or "...he did a great job!" I get a lot of compliments on my setting, and most people think my stone is much larger than it is due to the look the halo gives. (and that's FIIIIINE with me! ;)) :bigsmile: )

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results