shape
carat
color
clarity

Tell me what you think of this dress.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
What's your budget? I bet we could all help!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AWicker said:
Please, don't feel bad at all if you had a negative reaction to the dress. My feelings about the it flip-flop between love and dislike, which is exactly the reason I posted the pictures. I wanted to get everyone else's honest opinion. At this point, I don't really mind disclosing what I paid for it - $250 - and it's a $3,000 dress. I think I've decided to at least try on other dresses. I tend to have a problem, which is having tastes that often exceed my budget. And this definitely holds true when it comes to wedding dresses. I'm just not sure I could find another dress that I like that's within my budget. We'll see!

And this is the beauty of PS--being able to get honest feedback from people who are totally unbiased about some very, very important purchases relating to marriage. It is really priceless.

My response to you was what I would've said to a best friend. I like that we all have that rapport here--it's hard to give criticism irl and hard to take irl, because you have to be with your "besties" or your family members on a regular basis, there's no getting away. But here...here you can receive respectful and sage advice from people who are going through or have gone through what you are experiencing and it's just fantastic.

So, that said, again you have a great figure to work with and your ideal dream gown's lines fit perfectly with it. All we need to do now (if you wish) is help you find THE ONE if you choose not to wear this one. If in fact you DO decide to wear this one, I'm sure we (myself included) will all fully support your choice and look forward to seeing it altered to fit you more perfectly, and with accessories!

Please know that my response above was coming from a good place. As I mentioned in that post, I rarely offer dress criticism or advice, and honestly even praise, unless something truly affects my sensibilities. I just think you can do better, and while that may be out of line, I felt it was necessary to throw out there. Thank you for being so graceful about my and others' less positive comments.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock

AWicker

Rough_Rock
I don't know what my budget is yet. I'm kind of "backing" into it. I want to find our venue first, and figure out how much the remainder of the wedding will cost, then decide how much to spend on the dress. The right venue and decorations are really important to me, so I'd rather spend the money on that, and use the dress I already have if I need to. Originally, I was looking at dresses up to $1,500. In the mean time, I can show you other dresses that I love!

http://www.preownedweddingdresses.com/d ... ize-2.html - Love, love, love this dress. However, I'm afraid I might be a little too busty to pull it off without looking like a hooker.

http://www.preownedweddingdresses.com/d ... ize-4.html - I would use a fascinator and bird cage veil with something like this.

http://www.priscillaofboston.com/dress_ ... 1264&f5=VY - Love this one! Look at the video of the model walking!

http://www.priscillaofboston.com/dress_ ... e/Trumpet- :love:

http://www.priscillaofboston.com/dress_ ... re/Trumpet - This dress looks a little funky in the picture, but I saw it in the store, and it's gorgeous.

So you can see that I generally don't like dresses with any type of beading or crystal. In fact, it usually turns me away immediately. I gravitate towards dresses that are simple, slim, and relatively modern. Sorry for the dress overload; I got excited!

And thanks again everyone for your help! I really do appreciate all of the feedback, regardless of whether or not you liked the dress. If everyone just told me they loved it to try and spare my feelings, this post would be pointless. :tongue:

AWicker

Rough_Rock
Thanks OUpeargirl! Except for the corset back, I really like the Maggie Sottero - Janet. It has great lines!

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
AWicker said:
Thanks OUpeargirl! Except for the corset back, I really like the Maggie Sottero - Janet. It has great lines!

Yeah, it's really gorgeous. OK.. no beading. I'll compile a list of things tomorrow. A general idea of a budget would help.. But I'll just see what I can do.

I can't link to the dress, but look at "Desiree" by Enzoani. Probably one of the most beautiful gowns I've ever seen.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
<----loves AWicker. :love:

ETA: The POB "Kyle" is hands down my favorite. Sleek lines, lots of satin, LOVE (like SWOON LOVE) the notched bustline. I think it's YOU. Just gorgeous. Have you tried it on ever, or is it something you'd have to fetch on ebay and then try? I am so intrigued. Really I need to worry about my own wedding and house hunting but I'm way more interested in your dress right now. Gah! :appl: Sorry, I will calm down, promise.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
monarch64 said:
Honestly (and you did ask for honest opinions so I'm going to give mine), I hate it and I think you can do much more justice to your lovely figure.

It sounds like you fell in love with the great deal, not necessarily THIS dress, although you like its shape. The silhouette is definitely flattering to you and I'd certainly stick with the fit and flare look with your proportions because you can pull it off.

I'm having a hard time putting my finger on exactly why I don't like it...but I think part of it is the ruffles--the tulle combined with such a wide satin band on each one--it sort of makes the dress look like something a toy store sells for little girls to play dress-up in.

It's really rare for me to give dress criticism, but in this case I just think your figure deserves more. Yes, it looks nice on you, but the satin, the wide bands, the contrast between tulle and satin, the curved panel on the torso, it's all very distracting.

What also struck me about your first post was that not only had another bride abandoned it, but it had sat in a bag in a back room for 6 months. Methinks there was good reason for that.

I'm sorry--you can all tell me to pound sand if you like, and I will have my post deleted.

I have to agree completely...

I think there is a dress out there that is really going to do your nice proportions justice.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
You have stunning taste AWicker.

I do have a more affordable suggestion for a dress similar to the POB Brooke. It is made my Marisa and is actually the same "base" as my gown but with a different top layer. Its silk, which is lovely. Cinnamongurl wore it at her wedding recently.

Marisa 815
http://www.preownedweddingdresses.com/dresses/17670/Marisa-815-Size-6.html

Its not *exactly* the same, but still has tiers of silk organza. My dress was the Marisa 737, which is really popular over there on POWD.com. I loved that I got a silk dress for under $1500 (bought my gown through Pearl's Place... worth it to check there to see if they can beat your local salon price).

Good luck! You have an awesome figure and I bet you will find something that makes your future husband's heart skip a beat!

Pushin40

Brilliant_Rock
Honestly, Awicker, you have such a perfect figure that you could wear ANY dress.

However, something doesn't look quite right with this one. I think it's nice, and if it's your absolute DREAM dress, so be it, but I think there are so many gowns out there that you would look PERFECT in. Not really this one, though.

I have a feeling, since you started this thread asking for opinions, that you may be thinking the same thing too......

Please look around some more, go to more trunk shows and sales. You can always sell this dress on Ebay.

AWicker

Rough_Rock
You guys are so nice! Thank you so much for the compliments.

Monarch64 - No, I haven't tried on the Kyle dress. I just happened upon it when doing a quick search on POWD. I like the dress a lot, but I'd have to try it on to see exactly how much cleavage is revealed by that notch in the bust. Other than that, the lines of the dress, the modernity and simplicity - perfect. Too bad I can't just buy this one. Her hipsare much smaller than mine!

Claritek - I love that dress. It's so pretty and soft! I'll have to go try it on. I would probably want to have a seamstress take it in around the thigh area, just to get more of the trumpet look. I also love what this bride did with the dress...

http://www.preownedweddingdresses.com/d ... ize-2.html

And it's funny that you picked that dress, because the style is very similar to the dress on our wedding "mood" board:

Color Board.jpg

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
Travel Goddess said:
monarch64 said:
Honestly (and you did ask for honest opinions so I'm going to give mine), I hate it and I think you can do much more justice to your lovely figure.

It sounds like you fell in love with the great deal, not necessarily THIS dress, although you like its shape. The silhouette is definitely flattering to you and I'd certainly stick with the fit and flare look with your proportions because you can pull it off.

I'm having a hard time putting my finger on exactly why I don't like it...but I think part of it is the ruffles--the tulle combined with such a wide satin band on each one--it sort of makes the dress look like something a toy store sells for little girls to play dress-up in.

It's really rare for me to give dress criticism, but in this case I just think your figure deserves more. Yes, it looks nice on you, but the satin, the wide bands, the contrast between tulle and satin, the curved panel on the torso, it's all very distracting.

What also struck me about your first post was that not only had another bride abandoned it, but it had sat in a bag in a back room for 6 months. Methinks there was good reason for that.

I'm sorry--you can all tell me to pound sand if you like, and I will have my post deleted.

I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but I have to agree with Monnie. Something isn't quite meshing for me. Perhaps the pictures aren't doing it justice, but I'm just not loving it.

I have to agree with the above. You have a GORGEOUS figure and absolutely to die for hair. The dress just does not do you justice.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
AWicker said:
You guys are so nice! Thank you so much for the compliments.

Monarch64 - No, I haven't tried on the Kyle dress. I just happened upon it when doing a quick search on POWD. I like the dress a lot, but I'd have to try it on to see exactly how much cleavage is revealed by that notch in the bust. Other than that, the lines of the dress, the modernity and simplicity - perfect. Too bad I can't just buy this one. Her hipsare much smaller than mine!

Claritek - I love that dress. It's so pretty and soft! I'll have to go try it on. I would probably want to have a seamstress take it in around the thigh area, just to get more of the trumpet look. I also love what this bride did with the dress...

http://www.preownedweddingdresses.com/d ... ize-2.html

And it's funny that you picked that dress, because the style is very similar to the dress on our wedding "mood" board:

You have great taste! I love that moodboard. PS truncated your link. Can you report? Not sure if you just paste it in or not but if you paste it in, highlight it, and then click on the URL button on the blue bar along the top of where you edit your post it will properly turn it into a link.

You can certainly take it in more around the knees of that Marisa gown (and the one I wore too). I didn't have it taken in as much because I wanted to be able to walk and sit easily but looking back at pictures it shows as more of a modified A-line than a mermaid. It definitely has potential to go either way.

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
that marisa 815 is a slice of heaven! :love: :love: :love:
awicker, your taste is divine!

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Ok, here is my opinion...

I think you need to go into salons and try on different styles before settling on a real slim dress. From what I can see, like myself, your shoulders seem to be wider than your waist. Which is what I think is the problem with the first dress, other than the fact that it is wayyyyy too monotone. (I think it would be ToDieFor if it was like a diamond white with ivory banding, or something like that... it needs color... but still not necessarily the dress for you)

If you get a real tight dress, unless you find something that has some substantial thickness at the bottom or something that makes your hips look bigger *gasp*, I think you are going to find this imbalance in everything you like. I'm not sold that you have enough cuves to pull off this style, but I wish you the best in finding something that you love!

AWicker

Rough_Rock
Meresal: I think what you're seeing is caused by the angle at which the photo was taken. The person taking the photo was only about 3-4 feet away from me, and had to tilt the camera toward my top half in order to get the bottom of the dress in the picture. Regardless, I'm going to have to disagree with you. I don't think that my hips need to be as wide as my shoulders in order to pull off a slim dress. In fact, if they were the same size, my hips would look huge compared to my waist - a la Kim Karsahian. Also, I don't know if you read the whole thread, but I prefer dresses that are simple, "monotone", no beading, etc., but thank you for the advice.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Ok... just an opinion based on the photo taken. Didn't mean to offend you. I also didn't mean all slim dresses, I was more referring to mermaid gowns. You have an incredible figure and I just didn't think that this dress, or shape, did it justice.

I still think going into a salon and trying on the styles that you are intetrested in is the best idea. Also, if you are thinking about spending apprx $2000, you can most definitely find an amazing dress that you love. (I saw that you weren't sure about you budget, but remember reading that at the beginning.)

Best of luck in your search!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results