shape
carat
color
clarity

Tell me what you think of this dress.

AWicker

Rough_Rock
I did something crazy. My boyfriend and I are extremely early on in the engagement process. Basically, I have picked out a ring that I want, and he is letting me pick the diamond, and then he will take over the process from there. We are planning to get married NEXT Fall. Well, Priscilla of Boston was having a sample sale. I''ve always loved their dresses, but didn''t think I could realistically afford one. My budget, with alterations, was around $2k. I decided to check out the sample sale on my way to work (just in case!), and ended up buying a dress. I''m still not sure how it happened. It was such a good deal. You wouldn''t even believe me if I told you what I paid for it, and I really love the dress. Plus, the dress is in perfect condition. It has never even been worn! A bride apparently ordered it, but then abandoned it. It had been in a bag in their back room for over 6 months. So, now I need everyone''s advice. I''m struggling with the fact that it was one of only a couple of dresses that I''ve tried on, my mother and best friend weren''t with me, etc. So please, tell me what you think of the dress - your honest opinion. Basically, I paid so little for the dress, it wouldn''t be a big deal to start from scratch again.

Unfortunately, I don''t have pictures of me in the dress since I was alone when I bought it, and it''s pretty early to start alterations. All of your opinions/advice is appreciated!

And here is a link to someone selling the same dress. Her pictures show more detail on the dress:

http://www.oncewed.com/6429/used-wedding-dresses/size-8/vineyard-collection-blythe/

Blythe.jpg

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it''s a beautiful, versatile style that would work well for all but the most casual of wedding venues (and it''s been a long time since the hippie grove of trees or meadow-style weddings have been in vogue!). And... if for some reason it doesn''t end up working for you, you should have no trouble selling it.

In other words, I think you just got a nice head start on that wedding to-do list!

luckynumber

Brilliant_Rock
yes, i like this dress.

however, i do think that it will only suit the svelte figure, and i would NOT wear it myself, as my hips are too curvy.

we need to see you in it to make our minds up!
2.gif

ArtistJess

Shiny_Rock
Oh, I just love it. The more I look at it, the prettier it is. Great job :)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/1/2010 11:40:13 AM
Author: luckynumber
yes, i like this dress.

however, i do think that it will only suit the svelte figure, and i would NOT wear it myself, as my hips are too curvy.

we need to see you in it to make our minds up!
2.gif
It's a beautiful dress, but I'm thinking luckynumber is right - it accentuates even the models hips so visibly, a pear-shaped woman may not want her hips receiving that sort of highlight

slg47

Ideal_Rock
ooh! i likey :) but want to see pics of you in it! awesome job scoring the sample sale!

Prana

Brilliant_Rock
I think it''s beautiful! Would love to see some pictures of you in it!

MissMina

Brilliant_Rock
As someone who has always wished for more defined hips I love this dress.

AWicker

Rough_Rock
Yay! You guys are making me feel much better about my impulse purchase. The dress does accentuate my hips, but I actually really like that about it. I knew that I wanted a "fit and flare" type of dress to begin with. It makes me feel sexy! Plus, I''m about the same size on top as I am on the bottom, and I am a size 2-4, so the dress looks proportionate when I have it on. The dress is now at my mother''s house, which is 4 hours away, so it will be a while before I get to try it on again. I''ll make sure to update with pictures when I can. Thanks again for your feedback!

AWicker

Rough_Rock
Ok, now with pictures. Please excuse the funny background, these were taken in my little sister's old room. Also, this is without any alterations. It needs to come in at least one inch on each side.

dress1.jpg

AWicker

Rough_Rock
And the back...

dress2.jpg

AWicker

Rough_Rock
And one more from the front...

dress3.jpg

Mashira

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful! :love: I personally like a bit of beading on a dress, so if it were a steal, I might pay for some beading around the top white stripe. Other than that, I think it's lovely and your figure looks wonderful in it! Once it's taken in, I'm sure it will really accentuate your small waist!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It may not be for everyone, but YOU look fabulous in it!

chiquitapet

Ideal_Rock
It looks gorgeous on you!!! (My husband who was passing behind me as I was looking at your thread thinks so too!)

I actually chose the first dress I tried on. It was unbelievably cheap, but I fell in love with it and it was just 'me'. Eventhough I tried on couple more much more expensive and ornate dresses afterwards (which my best friend and the sales lady preferred), it was always going to be the first one for me.

septsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
I think you got lucky their girlfriend! It looks fantastic on you now and after alterations it will look amazing. Don't second guess yourself...weddings are so expensive...you got a designer gown for an awesome price without compromising what you wanted or how you will look. Put that dress away...and don't look at any others! :)

Seriously, this one is a keeper. You look great. Check this off the wedding to do list!

You look great in it! I love the way the back looks - you have an hourglass shape in that dress!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly (and you did ask for honest opinions so I'm going to give mine), I hate it and I think you can do much more justice to your lovely figure.

It sounds like you fell in love with the great deal, not necessarily THIS dress, although you like its shape. The silhouette is definitely flattering to you and I'd certainly stick with the fit and flare look with your proportions because you can pull it off.

I'm having a hard time putting my finger on exactly why I don't like it...but I think part of it is the ruffles--the tulle combined with such a wide satin band on each one--it sort of makes the dress look like something a toy store sells for little girls to play dress-up in.

It's really rare for me to give dress criticism, but in this case I just think your figure deserves more. Yes, it looks nice on you, but the satin, the wide bands, the contrast between tulle and satin, the curved panel on the torso, it's all very distracting.

What also struck me about your first post was that not only had another bride abandoned it, but it had sat in a bag in a back room for 6 months. Methinks there was good reason for that.

I'm sorry--you can all tell me to pound sand if you like, and I will have my post deleted.

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think you've got the figure to rock this dress. It'll look even better once it's altered to fit properly.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think its gorgeous and once the alterations are done will look perfect on you. You could dress it up some
(not that its needed) with a sparkley broach in the middle of the neckline or a bow/belt of some sort in the
same fabric as whats at the bottom of the tulle. Anyway, I think its lovely (and I'm not just trying to be nice).

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
monarch64 said:
Honestly (and you did ask for honest opinions so I'm going to give mine), I hate it and I think you can do much more justice to your lovely figure.

It sounds like you fell in love with the great deal, not necessarily THIS dress, although you like its shape. The silhouette is definitely flattering to you and I'd certainly stick with the fit and flare look with your proportions because you can pull it off.

I'm having a hard time putting my finger on exactly why I don't like it...but I think part of it is the ruffles--the tulle combined with such a wide satin band on each one--it sort of makes the dress look like something a toy store sells for little girls to play dress-up in.

It's really rare for me to give dress criticism, but in this case I just think your figure deserves more. Yes, it looks nice on you, but the satin, the wide bands, the contrast between tulle and satin, the curved panel on the torso, it's all very distracting.

What also struck me about your first post was that not only had another bride abandoned it, but it had sat in a bag in a back room for 6 months. Methinks there was good reason for that.

I'm sorry--you can all tell me to pound sand if you like, and I will have my post deleted.

I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but I have to agree with Monnie. Something isn't quite meshing for me. Perhaps the pictures aren't doing it justice, but I'm just not loving it.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the darts (seams) in the bodice are really distracting, but I like the back.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Travel Goddess said:
monarch64 said:

I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but I have to agree with Monnie. Something isn't quite meshing for me. Perhaps the pictures aren't doing it justice, but I'm just not loving it.

I'm with these two. It is a gorgeous dress and it makes your um... rear end, look awesome (rather, it shows it off nicely, I'm sure your rear doesn't need help :) ) but I am not loving the proportions of the bodice to the layers. I feel like it makes you look short. The proportions on the model are right on and if those proportions could be achieved with alterations on you then I think you have a true winner.

I DO love the covered buttons and the back of the bodice.

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
septsparkle said:
I think you got lucky their girlfriend! It looks fantastic on you now and after alterations it will look amazing. Don't second guess yourself...weddings are so expensive...you got a designer gown for an awesome price without compromising what you wanted or how you will look. Put that dress away...and don't look at any others! :)

Seriously, this one is a keeper. You look great. Check this off the wedding to do list!

i agree, i think it's a gorgeous dress & you wear it so well!

I loveeee it! The back is gorgeous.. but the front (it might be the angle) makes you look really short for some reason... anyone else seeing that?

Either way I would've still bought the dress :) It's lovely!

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
bean said:
The back is gorgeous.. but the front (it might be the angle) makes you look really short for some reason... anyone else seeing that?

This. I'm not crazy about it at all and agree with the other ladies that said you can find something much more flattering. It looks okay from the back, but the ruffles in the front really truncate your body and it just isn't flattering. If you really paid so little than you don't mind starting over, then I would. It sounds like it was an impulse buy and you liked the deal more than the dress (TRUST me, I am guilty of doing the same many MANY times at outlet malls lol). I'd keep looking, as you said you have plenty of time.

septsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
These style dresses are meant to really fit like a glove in the torso area, so I think I'm envisioning the final product. Once altered,I think it's going to look amazing. As for looking short, I can see that being the angle of the photo. It's hard to take a photo in a bedroom and get the entire dress in the picture, perhaps they were trying to fit all in and it came out a little wonky? It sure looks great on the model...with her figure I think after alterations it can great.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
I hate to chime in.. But that dress just isn't hitting you in the right place. It's making your torso look much shorter than it is. I love the IDEA of that dress, and I think it has beautiful details. Something about the fit on you doesn't do it for me. And you have such a great figure, you need something that will really show it off!

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be mean.

AWicker

Rough_Rock
Please, don't feel bad at all if you had a negative reaction to the dress. My feelings about the it flip-flop between love and dislike, which is exactly the reason I posted the pictures. I wanted to get everyone else's honest opinion. At this point, I don't really mind disclosing what I paid for it - $250 - and it's a $3,000 dress. I think I've decided to at least try on other dresses. I tend to have a problem, which is having tastes that often exceed my budget. And this definitely holds true when it comes to wedding dresses. I'm just not sure I could find another dress that I like that's within my budget. We'll see!

EyeElle

Shiny_Rock
I think if it is taken in a bit it would look great.
I really like the dress!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results