shape
carat
color
clarity

teeny diamonds :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

umgoblue2003

Rough_Rock
hello!

we are still in the process of getting quotes from various places for the ring... whiteflash gave us a quote that was a bit high ($800 more than what we got at Jared), and i''m wondering if it''s because they use such high quality stones? (we have our own center stone, 1 ct princess F VVS1, so it was not included in the quote) The side stones are all princess and are going to be 0.2 main sides (0.4 tw) and then a total of 0.5 channel set. Since they are so small, I was thinking that they likely don''t need to be VVS stones (Which is what whiteflash said they use).

So I was thinking I could buy my own stones to save a bit of money. I want a good color, since the ring is yellow gold; but I was thinking I could go down to SI2. After seeing so many larger stones that are SI1/2 on here that look amazing, i figure that the teeny channel set diamonds and even the 0.2 ct diamonds can be SI1 or SI2...

anyhoo... I just wanted suggestions on a. where to buy such small stones (the smallest i found on the search here is 0.23), and b. what clarity/color y''all recommend.

merci!!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t think many vendors will sell stones that small by themselves. You might try Wink at Winfields but he''s the only one I know of that might do it.

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/13/2007 4:53:01 PM
Author:umgoblue2003
hello!

we are still in the process of getting quotes from various places for the ring... whiteflash gave us a quote that was a bit high ($800 more than what we got at Jared), and i''m wondering if it''s because they use such high quality stones? (we have our own center stone, 1 ct princess F VVS1, so it was not included in the quote) The side stones are all princess and are going to be 0.2 main sides (0.4 tw) and then a total of 0.5 channel set. Since they are so small, I was thinking that they likely don''t need to be VVS stones (Which is what whiteflash said they use).

So I was thinking I could buy my own stones to save a bit of money. I want a good color, since the ring is yellow gold; but I was thinking I could go down to SI2. After seeing so many larger stones that are SI1/2 on here that look amazing, i figure that the teeny channel set diamonds and even the 0.2 ct diamonds can be SI1 or SI2...

merci!!

Can''t help you w/ a, but I can tell you that the stones that WF would provide would be much better cut, which as many PSers will tell you is the most important of the C''s- a well cut SI1, will most likely look better than an average/poorly cut VVS2.

Also smaller stones typically have fewer inclusions and the difference in cost between high and low quality stones is smaller as the stones get smaller.

Additionally you want to 100% that the stones that are channel set are perfectly matched in terms of cut, because if they aren''t they will look uneven.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
You probably won''t save any money if you try to find your own stones. WF indeed does sell very nice quality melee relative to jareds and probably better metal work as well. There are many dissatisfied jared customers on ps. Why not talk to WF and ask them if they can make the ring with lower color/clarity stones? This could save a little money. Also, why not contact some other vendors and start getting quotes?

I''ve had a couple of rings made by brian at knoxjewelers.biz and his metal work is beautiful, melee looks very nice, and the prices were reasonable. Here''s the thread of the two rings that they have made me and my fi.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-antique-garnet-ring-is-done-pics-inside.48251/
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/fis-18k-palladium-wedding-band-from-knoxjewelers-biz.58340/

umgoblue2003

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/13/2007 5:35:38 PM
Author: dtnyc

Date: 4/13/2007 4:53:01 PM
Author:umgoblue2003
hello!

merci!!

Can''t help you w/ a, but I can tell you that the stones that WF would provide would be much better cut, which as many PSers will tell you is the most important of the C''s- a well cut SI1, will most likely look better than an average/poorly cut VVS2.

Also smaller stones typically have fewer inclusions and the difference in cost between high and low quality stones is smaller as the stones get smaller.

Additionally you want to 100% that the stones that are channel set are perfectly matched in terms of cut, because if they aren''t they will look uneven.

i was thinking of just buying the two main side stones seperately (it would be such a pain to get 10 teeeeeny diamonds for the channel set part); and i was told that WF doesnt use anything less than VVS, which I think can be tempered down to SI1 for a 0.2 ct stone...

perhaps i misunderstood them? can i request SI1s?
33.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results